Start by marking “The Cedar Key” as Want to Read:
The Cedar Key

The Cedar Key

Could the key to Casey’s future be hidden in someone else’s past?

Casey Adams unexpectedly inherits an old Victorian house full of other people’s memories. Stuck in a quirky little Mississippi town, Casey’s hope for a fresh start died as soon she had to lay the grandmother she’d just met to rest.

But Grandma Ida carried secrets beyond the grave.

Before her death Ida carefully
Published October 6th 2020 by By The Vine Press (first published October 2020)

To ask other readers questions about The Cedar Key, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cedar Key

Start your review of The Cedar Key
Deanne Patterson
This is different than the other books I have read by this author but I am so happy to have had a chance to read it.
I may just have to say this is my favorite one yet by the author.
The book features history ,a bit of a mystery ,family,forgiveness and faith.
A book about healing and overcoming ,finding what's really important.
This book was hard to put down and the characters really drew me in.

I was given a complimentary copy of this book . Thank you.
All opinions expressed are my own.
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
Y’all.

(Because how else should I begin a review for a southern fiction romance? haha)

Y’all. This book. Is. Amazing.

I have loved every book I’ve read by this author. Yet even so, I have no qualms about saying that The Cedar Key is my very fave so far. It’s the kind of book where all the ingredients for a captivating, 5 star, can’t-put-down read just fall immediately into place and you forget the real world around you for however long it takes you to devour each word, the whole story, in one sitti
Jocelyn Green
I read this book in one day, which tells you how engrossing it is! In The Cedar Key, I found a heroine with a solid, believable journey of personal development, a cast of colorful characters, a vividly painted setting, and spiritual truths woven throughout. The lessons Casey learns are relevant to us all. With wit and wisdom, Stephenia H. McGee has penned another winning, meaningful tale full of grace and second chances.
Kav
Jun 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Five tissue box alert.

My heart feels like it's been pummelled to pulp and then stretched three sizes bigger. I hurt...in a good way. And am definitely better for having read The Cedar Key.

McGee has crafted the kind of richly layered story that a reader has no choice but to feel her way through -- and I think listening to the audible edition narrated by Bryn Austin made it that much more emotional for me.

Casey is a hot mess when we first meet her. Scrappy and prickly and barricaded behind an imp
Chatting About Cozies
A nice contemporary Christian story. The characters are likeable and the story’s set in a charming small town. It reminded me somewhat of a Hallmark movie.
Staci
Jan 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2021
Enjoyable contemporary novel about finding peace with where you are at. Casey was adopted and yearns to know why her birth parents didn't raise her. Fortunately, she has the opportunity to meet her paternal grandmother. That opportunity leads to Casey slowing the pace of her life and getting away from her less than ideal life in Atlanta to determine if a different future is possible.

Ryan and Nancy were both wonderful characters. I loved the relationship that developed between Casey and Emma.
Paula Shreckhise
Fantastic book!
Full review to come.
MJSH
"My stories. Those of my family. They weren't all good, but they were mine. I finally had all the answers I'd wanted, only to realize that the truth of the past never had the power to define me."

Oh, what a heart-rending story of struggle, strife, forgiveness, and unconditional love! Painted into the heart of a small town in Mississippi, this contemporary novel will thoroughly captivate you as Casey launches on a journey to find herself and her biological family's legacy through letters left by h
Kailey
Oct 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This might actually be my favorite book by Stephenia McGee! It was pretty different from her other books, but that made it even more interesting! I loved Ryan right away and grew to love Casey too. I loved the messages in this book as well. I’m so glad that I read this!

I was given a complimentary copy of this ebook from the author, but was not required to write a review. The thoughts and comments are my own.
Stacey Ulferts
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was hooked from the first sentence. The Cedar Key is a totally captivating read-it-in-one-sitting novel!
Jeanne Alfveby Crea
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I can't ever remember a time that I had the luxury to read an entire book in one day. This story hooked me from the start, kept my attention, and had me turning pages until 2:00 in the morning! The Cedar Key by Stephenia H. McGee is a beautiful story!

I wrote down so many great quotes from this book as I was reading it. Hopefully, someday I can say some of these words to someone I love.

A heartwarming story of overcoming and healing told with honesty and humor.

"Ida had said a person could rea
Becca Rae
I have thoroughly enjoyed Stephenia H McGee's other novels so I was quite excited to dive into this one. With a contemporary setting it was diverse from her others, however her deep love and appreciation for history--good or bad--was still clearly in the forefront. Sometimes it takes reconciling with your past before you can face your future. You can spend your whole life running, but until you stop  and face whatever it is that breaks your heart, you'll never get off the hamster wheel. It's so ...more
Trixi
Nov 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm left a driviling, emotional mess in the floor! My first book by Stephenia McGee....I know, I know....many of you are saying "what took you so long"? Yeah, I'm asking the same thing and I have no good excuse.

So messy lives, how many of us can raise our hands to that? The perfect time for God to step in and show us the purpose of those messes and how He can perfectly fit those misshapen pieces of our lives back together. A recycling, if you will. Casey aka "Cassandra" had her recycling turn.
Julia
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Cedar Key by Stephenia H McGee is a most charming Christian contemporary novel that will warm your heart, leaving you smiling and hopeful.
The novel deals with loss, belonging and roots. Loss cuts us to our core. We see the pain but there is hope too as a character made provision for healing from beyond the grave. The reader becomes acquainted with a much loved grandmother through her letters. We see a heart filled with love.
There are many big hearts within the novel as a community opens its
Jessica Baker (A Baker's Perspective)
I have loved reading McGee’s books for quite some time now. She’s written some of my favorite historical novels! I was not sure how the switch to a contemporary setting was going to go, not because she’s not a fantastic writer, just because it’s different and I know that can be difficult for a writer. Make no mistake – this book is phenomenal. It absolutely took my breath away.

Let me start by saying that as I was reading Casey’s journey, I felt like I was on my own journey. While my life is not
Carolyn Bryant
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Captivating! Exactly what I have come to expect from this gifted storyteller! This hard-to-put down read captured my attention and heart from the beginning. It is the story of Cassandra “Casey” Adams an emotionally wounded young woman struggling with issues of abandonment and loss and seeking to make peace with her past and neighbor Ryan Watson who has been chosen by her late grandmother, Ida, to help and support her on her journey to unlock family secrets that will explain her past and determin ...more
Ebos Aifuobhokhan
Nov 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The great lessons of life i learnt from reading this book were profound. Lessons I intend to keep practicing through life. Some parts of the book made me just want to cry because of the deep life lessons illustrated. It felt like an old godly grandmother sitting me down and giving you truths to help navigate life. I love books like this that make me ponder, feel and look at life with a fresh and thankful perspective.

In more than one way I and Casey are kindred spirits. I loved watching her tran
Vicky Sluiter
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Author Stephenia McGee has become one of my favorite historical fiction authors, so this one was different as it’s a contemporary story. I’ll admit that did take me a chapter or so to adjust to but once I did I couldn’t stop reading.

McGee’s characters have incredible personalities. Casey is dealing with loss and abandonment, which McGee writes about honestly but gently. Grandma Ida put quite the puzzle in place; one I couldn’t figure out. And then there’s the handsome neighbor. There will be cha
Amy
Oct 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have read several of Stephenia H. McGee’s and have really enjoyed them. Her newest release does not disappoint. It is different from what I am used to by her but still so very good. I had the pleasure getting to know Casey. The story involves history, mystery and suspense that I loved.
I am giving The Cedar Key four and a half stars. I recommend it for readers who enjoy clean and inspiring fiction.
I received The Cedar Key from the publisher. This review is one hundred percent my own honest op
Victoria
Sep 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story! It was such a nice relaxing and easy read yet it still has some great hard-hitting truths in it too. I just loved Casey, she's so relatable in so many ways! If you want a feel-good small town story with a touch of mystery and romance then give this book a go. This is the first of Stephania H. McGee's books I've read and I can't wait to read her other books! ...more
Pamela Duarte
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Casey Adams considers herself a broken woman, a failure at all she has tried. She doesn’t know who she is. She was abandoned first by her birth mother, then by her adopted parents and then by her manipulative boss/boyfriend. When her grandmother, Ida Macintyre, finds her and brings her to her birth father’s family home in Maryville, Mississippi, she hopes to find answers to who she is. But Ida dies of cancer shortly after they meet and Casey finds herself with a large Victorian home, but still n ...more
Brenda
Oct 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another great novel from one of my favorite authors. I loved how the characters were so real with real struggles. Casey struggles with her past but closes up and tries to hide behind a smile. I love that Ryan seems to always be there for Casey no matter what she’s going through. Why did grandmother Ida chose Ryan to give Casey the letters that reveal secrets she had been hiding.
Haley tries to fix her past mistakes. Mira Ann’s jealousy makes her do things that she shouldn’t do. So several charac
Anne Rightler
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Having several of Stephenia McGee’s books on my ever-growing TBR pile when an opportunity came up to read The Cedar Key, I was excited to read it. I was not disappointed in the least. Cassandra’s story drew me in immediately and never let me go until the satisfying end. Unexpectedly finding herself the owner of her grandmother’s home, Casey comes to a small Mississippi town hoping to find answers to her past—a past full of hurts and disappointments. The Cedar Key is a captivating story of second ...more
Susan (The Book Bag)
Stephenia H. McGee is a new author to me and I honestly didn't know much about the book when I won it from Goodreads, so I started on an unknown adventure when I opened this book. And what an adventure it was.

Casey finally connected with her grandmother shorty before the elderly woman passed away. Before she died, Ida left notes and letters for Casey which lead her on a journey of discovery. Neighbors and towns people try to help her, but being an independent woman with a multitude of issues, i
Joan Arning
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Cedar Key is a story of first accepting God's love, knowing you are valuable and then extending that love and forgiveness to others! Casey did not have a good childhood with her adoptive parents and has made poor choices as a young adult. She meets her paternal grandmother shortly before the lady dies and leaves her large house and money to Casey. Her grandmother has left letters with clues to be delivered to Casey at the house at specified times. The young minister next door and his mother ...more
Gloria Moseley
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"The Cedar Key," by Stephenia H. McGee, may be a little different from her other works, but it is still well worth the read. Cassandra Adams "Casey" finds herself owning her grandmother's home upon her passing only to discover her own past was not as cut and dry as she had previously thought. The discovery of self, and discovery of God novel is rich in character development, and it is a definite page turner that endears the reader to each character.

Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of
Cindy Harris
Sep 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
Another great book by Stephenia H. McGee. I can't say enough that Ms. McGee is certainly talented. Her gift of putting together a story, and making me want to keep reading more, is consistent with her other books. While my love is for Christian Historical Fiction, this Christian Contemporary Fiction is a hit with me. The story is so real, authentic, and definitely a page-turner. This story could actually be happening just down the street, or across town. Ms. McGee not only tells a clean story, b ...more
Ann
Oct 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book! It is well written and hooks you on the first page. This story is full of hope and forgiveness, it has just enough drama to keep you turning the pages to see what happens next. I loved reading Casey's story, it was full of inspiration. I highly recommend this book. I received a complimentary copy of this book and was not required to write a review. All opinions expressed are my own. ...more
Toria
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Cedar Key is a beautiful story about healing and learning about family history. This story was intriguing and kept my interest throughout the book. It was thought provoking and had a nice balance and mixture of emotions throughout. It was exciting to join Casey on her journey of discovery. I would highly recommend this book.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Nancy Reed
Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I read by Stephenia McGee. And, wow, what a great book – really touched my soul. This book has it all – mystery, forgiveness, redemption, and romance. It was hard to put down. In the beginning, I was a little confused because it seemed that details were missing from Casey’s past life, but all became clear as the story unfolded in a very interesting manner. All in all, one of the most enjoyable books I have read in a while.

I was given a copy of this book by the publisher.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• For the Love of Joy (Coastal Hearts #5)
  • Five Days in Skye (MacDonald Family Trilogy, #1)
  • Finding Me
  • Phoebe's Secret: Phoebe's First Mystery (Phoebe's Mysteries #1)
  • To Steal a Heart (The Bleeker Street Inquiry Agency, #1)
  • A Gilded Lady (Hope and Glory, #2)
  • Pearl in the Sand
  • A Home for Her Daughter
  • Belle of the Ball (Brides of Pelican Rapids, #12)
  • Something Worth Doing
  • A Life Once Dreamed
  • Heart of a Warrior
  • Pioneer Desire (The O'Rourke Family Montana Saga Book 2)
  • The Noel Letters
  • A Revolution of Hearts
  • Softly Blows the Bugle (The Amish of Weaver's Creek, #3)
  • Mr. Monk is Cleaned Out (Mr. Monk, #10)
  • You're the One that I Want (Christiansen Family, #6)
Stephenia H. McGee is a multi-published author of stories of faith, hope, and healing set in the Deep South. She lives in Mississippi, where she is a mom of two rambunctious boys, writer, dreamer, and husband spoiler. Her novel The Cedar Key was a 2021 Faith, Hope, and Love Readers’ Choice award winner. A member of the ACFW (American Christian Fiction Writers) and the DAR (Daughters of the America ...more