Start by marking “The Cat Proposed” as Want to Read:
The Cat Proposed

The Cat Proposed

Matoi Souta is an overworked office worker tired of his life. Then, on his way home from a long day of work one day, he decides to watch a traditional Japanese play. But something strange happens. He could have sworn he saw one of the actors has cat ears.

It turns out that the man is actually a bakeneko a shapeshifting cat from Japanese folklore. And then, the cat speaks
Published February 23rd 2021 by TokyoPop (LOVE x LOVE)

To ask other readers questions about The Cat Proposed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat Proposed

Start your review of The Cat Proposed
Rebecca
Jan 27, 2021 rated it really liked it
Oh my god, this was cute. I may have been leery about trusting Tokyopop again as a publisher, but they have been knocking it out of the park with their BL releases. Consider them back in my good graces - especially if sweet, affirming romances like this one become their stock in trade.
Mehsi
I received this book from Netgalley/publisher in exchange of an honest review.

OMG, this was just such a swoony and adorable read and I loved every bit of it. I was already hoping this would be fantastic so I am so happy that it was!

Meet Souta, a man who is totally dead tired and thinking about just ending it all. My heart just broke for him. It is not the first manga character who works too hard, whose work just makes him totally dead inside, but each time I see one of them my heart just cries t
Athira
Mar 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq, fantastic
I absolutely love this manga!! It was so cute and the premise was very intriguing. I love  mythologies and the legend of bakeneko is fascinating. I was super excited to read a manga with this theme!!

Kihachi and Shouta were so damn adorable together. Though they are completely different, their chemistry is undeniable. I could sometimes really connect to Shouta, the exhaustion and how being alive doesn't mean you're really living. I feel that the author did a good job conveying these feelings.

Th
Autumn Byrd
Jan 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
ARC was given by NetGalley and LOVE x LOVE in exchange for an honest review.

This review is being published before the release date (February 23rd, 2021)

Content/Trigger Warnings: Suicidal ideation and mentions of attempted suicide

“That day… I took a story by the hand.”

It’s very easy for me to fall in love with a manga and The Cat Proposed is no exception! I fell head over heels in love with the manga. Despite the dark themes of this book, I really enjoyed my time reading it. I rea
Fatirah Murtaza
Jan 27, 2021 rated it really liked it
The Cat Proposed by Dento Hanye is a riveting story about two people who are specifically different but finding themselves fill in each other's void with a blossoming love that hardly anyone could achieve but them. It's a sweet kind of love that tethers to a linked fate in which you will undoubtedly cherish their relationship on and on.

All's started when Matoi Souta, a deprived workaholic, who's always consumed by suicidal thoughts, begin to think that there's no valid reason for him to live ag
Tiffany
Jan 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
~For full transperancy, just want to state that I got a free electronic verison of this manga through NetGalley and the Publishing company in exchange for a honest review~

When I saw the summary for this manga, I asked for this on a whim. It seem fun, quirky and a short read. And it was all three! This manga is only a little over 200 pages and it has some of the cutest characters one can meet.
Note, as this was a surprise for me, there is talk about suicide and sucidal thoughts. Its were minor
Rick
This was beautiful. Very melancholic. Both sad and joyful. A touch of the surreal world of the supernatural shape-changers. Too bad it’s only the one volume.
Musharrat Zahin
Feb 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, romance, manga
Soft, fluffy, and cute manga! Loved it! Perfect paced, sugary that will give you a toothache!

Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for giving me the e-arc of The Cat Proposed in exchange for my honest review.
robbie cowman
Apr 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: boys-love
tokyopop has REALLY been feeding me recently. this and plenty other new releases have been SO good and such a step forward away from the toxic behavior we used to see in yaoi/BL in the 2010’s.
(Mellifluous Grant)
I need more of this kinda story in my life. It was adorable, and funny, and I wish there were twelve more at least!
C.
May 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was pawsome! xD
I love mythology based stories and I didn't know the myth of bakeneko (cat spirits who can take human shape) existed.
Also, the romance was cute.
Julie
This was super cute. I loved Souta and Kihachi and their relationship so much. I want more! I feel like this could've easily been spread out to another volume or two :( ...more
Katerina
Mar 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, 2021
4/5
ko-fiInstagramTikTok

What an absolutely adorable read. I needed the fluff after the angst and overwhelming-ness of We Free the Stars. The Cat Proposed is a fluffy Boy Love manga that captures the hearts of it readers through story-telling and captivating characters.

Souta is definitely a character that pulls at the heartstrings. Jumping right out of highschool he lands a job that over times sucks the life out of him. As time goes on his will to live and just be alive starts to dwindle and
Ije the Devourer of Books
Jan 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This manga style shape shifter love story is very enjoyable with good artwork, as is expected from Tokyopop. Souta is exhausted, unhappy with work and on the verge of suicide. One evening on the spur of the moment he goes to watch a traditional Japanese story teller and there he realises that the storyteller is a bakeneko, a shape shifting cat.

The cat who is called Kihachi tells him they are mates and that they need to get married. They don't need to have conjugal relations, just live in the sa
Kristel (hungryandhappy)
Jan 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
*ARC from Netgalley*

Who gave this manga permission to break my heart and make me feel all the feelings? How dared it!? I loved it a lot! Souta was in such a fragile situation, overworked, with no will to keep on living because maybe jumping in front of a train would solve all his problems. But then he stops to listen to a storyteller tell an old story of Japanese folklore and he gets overwhelmed with a light sensation that makes him feel like he might be okay. The storyteller is Kihachi, a baken
Nikki
Feb 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This manga was so, SO good. Dento Hayane's art style is great--it's a bit looser/sketchier, and really lends itself to an otherworldly, fairy-tale atmosphere, while helping it stay grounded in reality a bit as well. I really appreciated the central theme of how stories can be a light in dark places. When the story opens, Souta, the main (human) character, is depressed and exhausted from overwork (cw: suicidal thoughts), but Kihachi and his stories give him the wake-up call he needs and bring pos ...more
April Gray
This is a sweet love story, both insta-love vibes and slow burn romance at the same time. Souta is an overworked salaryman, stressed out and depressed to the point he seriously considers suicide. He is walking home one from the train station one evening and ends up going to see a kodan, a traditional type of storyteller. The storyteller, Kihachi, turns out to be a bakeneko, a cat yokai. Because Souta has seen Kihachi's true form, they must either form a contract, or Souta must die- he's seen too ...more
Bookwormlipa
I have received an ARC of this book by NetGalley and LOVE x LOVE and I am voluntarily leaving an honest review. The Pub date of the book is 23.02.2021.
For me this story was a breath of fresh air. It contains important themes even in the midst of fantasy and at the same time makes us smile and enjoy the cuteness. The characters are adorable and even though they have a very recent relationship, it shows us that there are bonds that take almost nothing to be done. Important bonds.
The design is extr
Nicki Markus
Jan 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-lgbt
The Cat Proposed was a fun MM manga read. I found the characters and their progressing relationship interesting and believable, and there was emotional growth for both of them over the course of the story. The illustration was pleasing, and the story brought a smile to my face a number of times as it was so cute and sweet. I hadn't come across a bakeneko in a story before either, so that was interesting in and of itself. I would definitely read further works by this author.

I received this book a
Nabilah
Mar 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is cute cute.
Nay Denise
Mar 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed the art and romance. Both MCs were amazing.
Reem
Jun 02, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was randomly picking something to read and stumbled upon this one volume series and I got to say I'm beyond happy I found it. It's a pleasant surprise.

It's a very sweet and emotional series with adorable and honest characters. I liked how comfy the relationship between the main characters is and I enjoyed how things unfolded. Highly recommended if you're looking for a sweetly romantic short series. It will put a smile on your face.
Pippa Reads Manga
May 10, 2021 rated it liked it
I am not an avid BL reader or collector, so I'm not as familiar with the tropes and common story-telling. I do, however, like reading diversely. I want to read more LGBT stories. The Cat Proposed is a pretty charming story despite its dark overtones, as it discusses feelings of hopelessness and suicide. The characters are memorable, relatable, and enjoyable to read about. While I can't say that it was necessarily my cup of tea, I think people who really identify with their cats, might get a kick ...more
XangemXV
May 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
Rachel
May 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
I admittedly went into ‘The Cat Proposed’ a little sceptical - the blurb rather over-simplifies its premise, and makes the book sound more absurd than it is. But no matter, as I have been most pleasantly surprised by this cute and smart story! It is romantic and emotive with no need to lean on the graphic. Such warm fuzzies. Purr.
procrastinating reader
Every time he was in his cat-human form, I couldn’t help but think of a furry - which is just so . . . (´・_・`). ...more
Bismah
May 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, lgbtqa
This was the perfect combination of hilarity and cuteness that I love from shonen-ai stories!
Elaine White
** I WAS GIVEN THIS BOOK FOR MY READING PLEASURE **
Copy received through Netgalley

~

The Cat Proposed, by Dento Hayene
★★★★★
256 Pages
Content Warning: suicidal thoughts

The Cat Proposed is a seriously cute, lovely story that has a lot of heart and depth hidden beneath the pretty exterior. When I first saw it, I knew from the cover that I had to read it, then I read the blurb and was captivated. This is a simple, sweet story that is light and charming, with hidden depth. It's about fated mates finding
Sherry
May 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
Sylvie
May 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great cute story

Love this story, it was so heartwarming, like the art style, I find the way the author ended the story refreshing also.
« previous 1 3 next »

• This Wonderful Season With You
  • The God and the Flightless Messenger
  • Katakoi Lamp
  • 佐々木と宮野 1 [Sasaki to Miyano 1] (Sasaki and Miyano, #1)
  • Dekoboko Sugar Days
  • There Are Things I Can't Tell You
  • Toritan: Birds of a Feather, Vol. 1
  • The King's Beast, Vol. 1
  • Manly Appetites: Minegishi Loves Otsu, Vol. 1
  • The Vampire and His Pleasant Companions, Vol. 1
  • Love in Limbo, Vol. 1
  • Toritan: Birds of a Feather, Vol. 2
  • こいものがたり 1 [Koimonogatari 1] (Koimonogatari, #1)
  • I Cannot Reach You,  Vol. 1
  • Cherry Magic! Thirty Years of Virginity Can Make You a Wizard?! 02
  • Star⇄Crossed!!, Vol. 1
  • SPY×FAMILY 4 (Spy x Family, #4)
  • Cherry Magic! Thirty Years of Virginity Can Make You a Wizard?!, Vol. 1