Start by marking “Progress and Poverty” as Want to Read:
Progress and Poverty

Progress and Poverty

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  243 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
This classic work is an enquiry into the cause of industrial depressions and the persistence of poverty amid advancing wealth. Published in 1879, it was admired and advocated by great minds such as Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Leo Tolstoy and Sun Yat-sen in China.
Published December 1st 1996 by Robert Shackelford Publisher (first published 1879)

To ask other readers questions about Progress and Poverty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Progress and Poverty

Jennifer Foshee
Jul 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Left vs Right, Communism vs Capitalism, Marx vs Hayek -- this is the essential argument that has driven our global discussions and conflicts for the past century or two. The thing is, both sides are half-right, and both sides are half-wrong, ironically because both make the same essential mistake -- the failure to recognize that Land and Capital are two *very* different means of production.

Henry George saw the third way, and shows us how we can build a society that values both economic liberty A
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tolstoy believed Henry George would "usher in an epoch." Mark Twain proselytized for the cause, and Einstein, Aldous Huxley, and Milton Friedman have praised his ideas. John Dewey said, "It would require less than the fingers of the two hands to enumerate those who, from Plato down, rank with Henry George among the world's social philosophers."

That said, economic thought has made tremendous progress since this book was published. Keep that in mind in the early chapters. I rate this book highly
Brian Ross
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was a phenomenon in and beyond its time. Written in 1879, it is a book on political economy, specifically exploring why poverty not only remains but actually seems to increase, as societies become more wealthy. It is a work of logical precision yet leavened and enlivened with passion.In arguing his case, George incorporates economics, social philosophy, history, literary references, and commentary. In reading this I was reminded of my prejudices: assuming that "modern, progressive" thi ...more
Brian
Jul 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Still insightful today, Henry George's economic classic starts with a central puzzle; why, when unemployment increases, do interest rates drop?
He startlingly sees a natural alliance between the Wage-earner and the Capitalist, and makes a good case for it. And that's just the beginning of this book's points. Worth reading in 2011 for policy-makers and for the rest of us who have to live in the world those policy-makers make.
Eric Ruark
May 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read book for anyone who is even remotely politically aware today. Henry George could have been writing about our time when corporations like WalMart are making billions and their laborers are on food stamps.
Deborah Garvin
Jul 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: High School Students, Adults, anyone interested in Economics
Recommended to Deborah by: Dr. Cay Hehner, Ph D.
Not sure how this website is set up, but Progress and Poverty, an economic blueprint was written by Henry George in 1880, it has been reviewed, edited, and reprinted, with the latest being 2003.

Progress and Poverty speaks on much of what we see today, why it's happening, and a possible remedy for what it describes as the main problem detrimental to maintaining a politically vialable society. The epidemic of Poverty discussed in Progress and Poverty takes an analytical look at the political econo
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this looking to understand HG's proposal as it relates to speculation/vacant lots/abandoned buildings in urban settings. I wasn't expecting to get such an eye-opening treatise on societal progress and disparities in wealth (although maybe the name should've clued me off). I highly recommend this - it's well written and very easy to follow (there's a little bit of drudging through 19th c. style but not too bad). HG starts to wander towards the end - I think reading the first 2/3 of the boo ...more
Alex
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Paradigm shifting stuff. Once you read it, you'll never see the world the same again. A work of genius.
Otto Lehto
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If, instead of the red flags of Marx and Lenin, the people of Russia, China and Cuba had aggregated underneath the earthen banner of Georgism, 20th century would look very different. Had people only understood that social justice requires not only equal access to land and other natural resources but a progressive free market society in which the free endeavours of man can be pursued unhindered, the institutional excesses of state socialism might have been averted.

Progress and Poverty was a best
Tyler
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Incredible book. Fundamentally reworks an interpretation of Adam Smith which is surprisingly compatible with Mengerian economics-- that the value of land's production (the only thing that really determines interest, besides labor invested in creating capital) works itself into an increasing proportion of the good's price over time, because the increased productive efficiency of the denser population with land increases the quantity of wages, but the increased efficiency is partially absorbed in ...more
Dina Strange
Apr 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Some people engage in sexual sadomasochism, whilst I prefer an intellectual one. Henry is of course a progressive, and apart from the slight tendency to go off on a tandem, the book makes lots of sense. So, following in the steps of going off on a tandem, the past 500 years of human history is the repetition of the present reality. Few usurp everything, and let the rest of us to be slaves, then they call it democracy, opportunity, hard work or whatever else nice sounding name they can come up wi ...more
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Henry George is often forgotten in the spectrum of public intellectuals. Yet his thinking is profound and transcendent (not using that term loosely). His ideas on social structure and the laws of human progress are essential for any person thinking through how to tackle issues like poverty and grave inequality. Reading this work from the 19th century is arguably more applicable today than it was back then.

George's land value tax is often disregarded as quixotic, and yet I cannot understand why.
Kenny Guzman
Oct 16, 2014 marked it as to-read
I picked up this book at a Occupy Wall St movement rally back in 2011. They had tables lined up in different sections of the park, with crates full of books! Felt like a kid walking through toys'r'us for the first time. The spot basically looked like a library inside of zuccotti park. Picked up few books but this one book here, I was amazed to read Einsteins review on the back of it ; told myself, I want in. Look forward to delving into each page and learning its relevance to our universal dispa ...more
Brent Ranalli
The masterpiece of a wildly under-rated thinker. Every educated person ought to be acquainted with George's core ideas, which stand up well against the test of time (unlike, say, those of Marx, who can go take a bath). There are many abridged editions, which are probably fine for the casual reader. But even to read the long original is a pleasure, he writes with such polish and passion.
Jeff
May 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant but difficult to parse (due to language style and very long sentences) explanation of his theory of LAND TAX. Not property tax, not income tax, not sales tax, not value-added tax, but a tax on the rental (or imputed rental) value of land. Gives reasons why this tax makes sense.
Matt
Sep 03, 2009 is currently reading it
Radical. Old ideas on economics and taxation who's time may have finally come.
Sandrine
Feb 21, 2010 marked it as to-read
Shelves: skimmed-a-bit
taking a class at the Henry George School for free... interesting concepts...
Abdullah Hussaini
Aug 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Buku ni aku baca masa tingkatan 5. Tak habis pun. Kemudian aku bawak ke asrama, kununnya nak bacalah. Last2 buku tu hilang. Aduiii. Masa aku mula2 buat facebook aku letak buku ni sebagai interest aku. Ianya menenmukan aku dengan seorang pekerja di institut henry george bernama richard l.biddle. Kami saling bermesej tentang penulis dan isi buku ni.
Dan kerana kenangan itu saya bagi 3 bintang. Bolehhh takkk ? Hihi
Amadé
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book changed my life. I still remember when I first got ahold of a copy. I was in my uncle's study. He cannot walk very well, and so there are piles of books all around his desk. As I was looking through maybe the dozenth pile, I found a non-descript red book with black binding, the title faded with age. I'm glad that that was the book I took home because in it were ideas that I found so compelling I would make it my life's goal to help realise them.

The central idea of Progress and Poverty
Ernest Barker
May 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
George fails to recognize that the people in poverty that live in a country that has made good industrial progress live far better than people that live in countries that are considered backward. Better medical care, more food, wide screen tv's cars, iPad, and smartphones. He mutters about education being denied. My eight-grade granddaughter along with all the other kids was given iPads to use for the school year. Reading this book was a total waste of time unless you are interested in fringe ec ...more
nada
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: economics
“Undoubtedly the most remarkable and important book of the present century.”
---Alfred Russel Wallace, 1892

"Progress and Poverty is not so much a book as an event. The life and thought of no one capable of understanding it can be quite the same after reading it."
---Emma Lazarus
Grim-Anal King
Apr 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Makes a cogent case for a land value tax, particularly in contrast to other forms of taxation, but goes rather overboard with the utopian social philosophy towards the end.
Don Lim
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Growing wealth and perpetual poverty. Henry George observed what many contemporaries today criticize as well. During the 19th century, Henry George saw increasing productivity due to technological innovation. Far from a Luddite, George recognized the benefits of machinery in agriculture, textile, manufacturing, and many other industries.

He also dedicates a substantial amount of the book explaining and criticizing the Malthusian trap: the idea that productivity grows linearly while population gr
Eugene Kernes
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: economics
The question that is being answered in this book is why does poverty follow wealth. Many wealthy urban cities, have citizens that are wealthy, but the city also has more people in poverty. The way wealth is divided, going to either interest (capital), wage (labor), and rent (landlord), determines how much poverty there is in the city. Rent is the enemy in this story.
Labor produces wealth by providing useful value to resources. Capital allows labor to be more productive. With capital, each worker
Tim
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it
A book on political economy written in 1879 by an outsider to the field. Interesting perspective from that time. Much was explained clearly, some I could not follow, and some bits I question. Still much of it rings true. It is not always an easy nor a short read, but definitely worthwhile for a glimpse into the subject and for the logical progression of thought.
TJ Petrowski
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
An incredibly well-written book. Although I disagree with the author's conclusions, and Marx himself found them laughable, Henry George is a fantastic writer and his arguments against Malthus are an important read.
Ivan Gradjansky
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good read but the most important part is the last 5-6 chapters.
Andrew Ragland
Nov 26, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Terrible book. The first couple of chapters made sense, were clear and lucid, explained the basic economic theory that George was driving at in easily understood terms. Then George wandered afield. He tried to use China and India as examples of his theory, and it became painfully obvious that he hadn't really studied either nation. The views of those nations he expressed were Victorian fallacies, and had nothing to do with their actual history, current status, or economics. Then he launched an a ...more
Karen Smith
I actually was reading an abridged version of this book, and even found that hard going. I read it because it was recommended for a course I was interested in, but in reality I found most of it 'over my head'. I probably found about one sentence in each couple of paragraphs that made sense to me, although I did find the last couple of chapters quite interesting and understandable. Altogether a challenging read - I was pleased to get to the finish.
Amadé Hill-edwards
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is literally the most important book ever written.

It contains within it a clear explanation showing that the root cause of systematic poverty is the private ownership of land.

This is required reading, indeed it is the most important preparation of all, for anyone who aspires to build a just society.
  • The Precariat: The New Dangerous Class
  • The Rise and Decline of Nations: Economic Growth, Stagflation, and Social Rigidities
  • The Protest Psychosis: How Schizophrenia Became a Black Disease
  • The Theory of the Leisure Class
  • Imperialism: A Study
  • Delirium: The Politics of Sex in America
  • Fear of Falling: The Inner Life of the Middle Class
  • Political Parties
  • Disassembly Required: A Field Guide to Actually Existing Capitalism
  • Losing Ground: American Social Policy, 1950-1980
  • Killing the Host: How Financial Parasites and Debt Bondage Destroy the Global Economy
  • States and Social Revolutions: A Comparative Analysis of France, Russia and China
  • The Common Law
  • Secrets of the Temple: How the Federal Reserve Runs the Country
  • Free Market Fairness
  • Power: A Radical View
  • The Culture of the New Capitalism
  • Comfortably Numb: How Psychiatry Is Medicating a Nation
Henry George was an American writer, politician and political economist, who was the most influential proponent of the land value tax, also known as the "single tax" on land. He inspired the economic philosophy known as Georgism, whose main tenet is that people should own what they create, but that everything found in nature, most importantly the value of land, belongs equally to all humanity. His ...more
More about Henry George

• Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Sex Object
    $9.74 $2.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Dark Alliance: The CIA, the Contras, and the Crack Cocaine Explosion
    $16.99 $3.99
  • Denial [Movie Tie-in]: Holocaust History on Trial
    $11.99 $1.99
  • A Very English Scandal: Sex, Lies, and a Murder Plot at the Heart of the Establishment
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Call the Midwife: Farewell to the East End
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Gomorrah: A Personal Journey into the Violent International Empire of Naples' Organized Crime System
    $9.99 $3.99
  • All Creatures Great and Small  (All Creatures Great and Small, #1)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race
  • Cheaper by the Dozen
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Edgar Allan Poe: The Fever Called Living
  • The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple
    $12.99 $2.99
“There is this difference where a man works for himself, or where, when working for an employer, he takes his wages in kind, his wages depend upon the result of his labor. Should that, from any misadventure, prove futile, he gets nothing. When he works for an employer, however, he gets his wages anyhow—they depend upon the performance of the labor, not upon the result of the labor.” 1 likes
“There is, and always has been, a widespread belief among the more comfortable classes that the poverty and suffering of the masses are due to their lack of industry, frugality, and intelligence. This belief, which at once soothes the sense of responsibility and flatters by its suggestion of superiority, is probably even more prevalent in countries like the United States, where all men are politically equal, and where, owing to the newness of society, the differentiation into classes has been of individuals rather than of families, than it is in older countries, where the lines of separation have been longer, and are more sharply, drawn.” 1 likes