Start by marking “Yard Work” as Want to Read:
Yard Work

Yard Work

This wasn’t the plan. Judge Herman Calvert, eighty-eight, never thought he’d outlive his beloved wife, Marie.

Yet now he finds himself alone, a grieving widower, desperate for escape from the home they built together, where every turn brings a painful reminder of his late wife.

So the judge retreats to his lake cabin in rural Wisconsin, a place where an old man can find peac
Audiobook, Original Recording Audiobook
Published August 31st 2020 by Audible Originals

To ask other readers questions about Yard Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yard Work

Start your review of Yard Work
Char
Not gonna lie, I downloaded this from Audible due to the fact that Kevin Bacon is the narrator.

This is a dark little tale of a retired, recently widowed judge. He goes to his lake house and to his surprise, finds that certain trees special to him and his family, are getting choked off by invasive vines. That's all I'm going to say.

I've never heard of this author before, but I loved the creativity and originality of the story and will look for more of his works in the future.

Kevin Bacon nailed t
Yogi Rogers
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reading-warrior
I gave 5 stars for so many reasons.

#1 This book made me laugh and it is not a comedy.
#2 Kevin Bacon did a great job with the narrative.
#3 The storyline is original.
#4 It's a quick read that keeps you entertained.
#5 A great ending.

Enjoy!
Michelle {Book Hangovers}
Great little short story!
Life may get you down and may not go as planned....you can easily get pull down and tangled up in negative things surrounding you, suffocating you..... But once you are so close to losing it all, you will then realize that you are grateful for the breath you still breathe every day.
Matthew
Oct 31, 2020 rated it liked it
A ridiculous but entertaining contemporary horror story from Audible. Well performed by Kevin Bacon.
Laur (hiatus)
Sep 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio, short-stories
Loved it! An original storyline for sure, and Kevin Bacon was brilliant as the narrator! Great story, fast paced, humorous.
Re-Read🧰🪚⛏🔦
Mike Finn
I'd never heard of David Koepp. Of course, now I know he's the ninth most successful screenwriter of all time in terms of U.S. box office receipts with a total gross of over $2.3 billion, and he wrote Jurassic Park, Spider-Man, and Mission: Impossible, all of which I've seen, but I had to look him up to find that out. That's how it is with screenwriters.

On the other hand, I've been a fan of Kevin Bacon since he outshone the rest of the cast in Diner in 1982, so when I was told he had narrated a
Deb
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
enjoyed Kevin Bacon's narration. cool short story. creepy ivy, scary woods and keeps you hooked. ...more
Kay Covington
Sep 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Entertaining enough for such a quick listen. Kevin Bacon was great! He definitely swayed my reason for this quick pick. I am enjoying the new perk Audible has included in their membership. There are a lot of free listens now included. It’s a good opportunity to listen to stories you would otherwise never purchase. This was one of those such stories. I’d never purchase it, but it was still a pretty good listen.
Tommy Kiedis
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels, death
David Koepp's "mortality tale" is as entertaining as it is engaging. In Yard Work, 88-year-old Judge Herman Calvert outlives Marie, his wife of forty-some years. He retires to his lake house where he muses on life and the vines. Like an invading army, the creeping and creepy runners threaten to overtake his acreage and links to Marie. The judge won't stand for the intrusion and sets about to set things right. That's when things get interesting. Are these vines alive or is the judge simply dehydr ...more
Shelby
Boring, redundant and poor editing with serious tone problems. Couldn't be bothered to finish it. ...more
Peggy
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adultfiction
An ok story, but it did one thing that always really annoys me -the author set the story in a state he clearly knows very little about, in this case, Wisconsin. It's jarring to hear someone refer to their cabin as "upstate" in Wisconsin. No one, not anyone, from Wisconsin, as the character in this story supposedly was (a judge no less), would ever refer to his cabin as being upstate. In Wisconsin we go "Up North". Occasionally we go Up Nort', but that's the only variation. And an invasive vine p ...more
Shan
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Short and entertaining. Discovered via Audible’s promo conversation between the author and Kevin Bacon, who narrates the audiobook. The plot and style remind me of Stephen King: straightforward and humorous overlaid on a horrifying situation.

An 88-year-old judge moves into the lake house after his wife dies and discovers a fast growing vine is threatening the trees they planted together. The kid at the local store advises him to let it be, but he tackles it on his own with a chainsaw and a pair
AfroLit
Oct 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Kevin Bacon Susan outstanding job narrating this novella. I always enjoy an older protagonist and this one was so good. The old Judge gets involved in doing some yardwork when nature as alive as it already is seems to also have a mean or shall we say demonic streak. Is it all in the old man's head who is still missing his wife. All alone fighting nature or life itself. This was a good short read/listen. ...more
Rechan
Nov 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
3.5 stars. Believable character work, great detail. Not quite as horror as I was hoping, but still good and satisfying, and a good reading by Kevin Bacon. Very much a Moby Dick or Old Man and the Sea-like story with plants. I recommend.
Cassandra Joseph
Oct 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Cute, endearing, yet a bit creepy story about a man coming to grips with the death of his wife and his own mortality.
✨Susan✨
Oct 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
Rounded up to a four because of Kevin Bacons narrative. He is a natural. Is there anything he can’t do well?
David
Jan 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Another free Audible original. While the description sounded interesting, Kevin Bacon as the narrator was also a big draw. His performance was a real highlight.

After I moved into my current house, I spent a good portion of the first two years pulling out Asian bittersweet, one of the most problematic invasive species in my state. I could relate to a tale of a man obsessing over his own invasive plant. I'm left with some uncertainty about how to interpret some of the narrative through the last ha
Marji
Nov 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
4/5⭐️ A solid listen. Kevin Bacon was so great! Audible original.
Matt Wainwright
Dec 31, 2020 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this as a short story. Kevin Bacon does a great job as narrator, capturing the character and energy of the story. A nice, quick read/listen.
Karen
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible, favorites
I greatly enjoyed this peculiar audiobook
Who doesn’t love Kevin Bacon? I found this short story intriguing, strange and quite compelling. Author David Koepp pens a captivating and perplexing tale of a retired judge whose stubbornness causes him to experience an odd exploit. Kevin Bacon’s narration is impressive and I look forward to hearing more. Never ever did I hear think I’d hear him use the words ”scrotum” and “balls.” Thanks to both Koepp and Bacon, as well as Audible, for making this avail
susan gobis
Sep 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The book was good, kevin bacon did a good job narrating.
Marbeth Skwarczynski
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Yard work is a short, spooky book guaranteed to make your mind and heart race. When the Judge's wife dies, he decides to move to their vacation cabin in the woods of Wisconsin. There he comes face to face with an invasive vine that seems to have a mind and plan of its own. ...more
Carol Yarbrough
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
Kevin Bacon.
Ida Wilcox
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dont give up so quickly.

The main character was just about to give up when he discovered there is more life to live.
Things may seem to be overwhelming but you can get through them

Lovely short story.
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Listened to this as an audio book and really loved it. Kevin Bacon is a fantastic narrator- perfection!
Susan Tunis
Dec 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved screenwriter Koepp's debut novel Cold Storage, so I was delighted to discover this Audible Original. It's a short, two-hour listen, charmingly narrated by Kevin Bacon. The main character is an 88-year-old retired judge, recently widowed.Needing a change of venue to process his grief, the judge retreats to his beloved lake house. There he discovers an invasive species.

Here, I'll pause. Each of us has various archetypal horrors that really get to us. The creepy (creeping) thing in this tal
Vel Veeter
Apr 04, 2021 rated it liked it
An Audible Original written by screenwriter David Koepp about a retired judge who always assumed that he would die before his wife. When he wakes up one morning to find that she died in her sleep, he is unable to process this loss or his future without her. In the weeks that come after, he decides he will move himself to the lake house they bought earlier in life, much to the chagrin of his adult children. While there, he realizes that he has quite a bit of yard work ahead of him, especially to ...more
Ali M
Dec 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent narration by Kevin Bacon on this one. His portrayal of the widowed judge was spot-on, capturing his gruffness, sadness and anger. It was very moving. He got the irascible old man and his hidden tenderness perfectly. It helped tremendously of course that David Koepp has written an intense story of loss and navigating grief.

I loved the tee up for this story. The judge and his wife had planned on her going first, but it didn’t work out that way. To escape a home set up for his wife to sp
Juan Rivera
Dec 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lecturas-2020
When Judge Herman Calvert was 88 years old, the least he imagined was being alone, a widower. He and his wife had planned that he would die first and made plans to fix their house so that she would be comfortable.

What to do when you are alone and plans go so wrong? Herman decides to retire to a cabin and there he suffers hallucinations and almost ends his life.

Finally he survives and lives another two years in solitude and dedicating himself to his garden.

Good book "Yard Work" by David Koepp
Readers Together
Jan 15, 2021 rated it liked it

I find the Audible Originals hit and miss. The good thing is that they are free with a membership. This one wasn't bad. I'm not always a fan of celebrity narrations but Kevin Bacon gave this story life! If you like things that are a little out there, you will probably love this. It is a little far-fetched, and at times, I found my thoughts drifting whilst listening, so it didn't keep my attention as I would have expected and wanted. But it was thought-provoking, and at times, funny. It'
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Hold Your Breath
  • This is not your fault
  • Murder by Other Means (The Dispatcher, #2)
  • The Gentleman From Peru
  • Everyone’s Happy
  • Half Light
  • Decorum at the Deathbed
  • In-Depth Market Research Interviews with Dead People.
  • The House on the Water
  • The Fool Who Though Too Much
  • Childhood, Interrupted
  • Bella Bella
  • Phreaks
David Koepp is a celebrated American screenwriter and director best known for his work on Jurassic Park, Spider-Man, Panic Room, War of the Worlds and Mission: Impossible. His work on screen has grossed over $6 billion worldwide.

News & Interviews