Start by marking “Crown of Secrets (The Hidden Mage, #1)” as Want to Read:
Crown of Secrets (The Hidden Mage, #1)

Crown of Secrets

(The Hidden Mage #1)

Verene is a disappointment to her entire kingdom--the first royal ever born without power, despite her mother being the most powerful mage in history. So when she's sent to the Academy in neighboring Kallorway to forge ties with her people's traditional enemies, she's determined to succeed and prove she can still be of value to her kingdom.

Prince Darius of Kallorway is the
Published October 5th 2020 by Luminant Publications

To ask other readers questions about Crown of Secrets, please sign up.
Annette Yes, this book is perfectly clean. There is some politics in there, but I think I would have liked it from the age of 12 already. I think the series i…moreYes, this book is perfectly clean. There is some politics in there, but I think I would have liked it from the age of 12 already. I think the series is a perfect YA coming of age story!(less)

Start your review of Crown of Secrets (The Hidden Mage, #1)
Cindy ✩☽♔
Oct 28, 2020 is currently reading it
Bought this book on Kindle without realizing it was a sequel series but based on a few reviews it seems like I can read this without reading the previous books, so fingers crossed I don’t get confused when I finally dive in lol
Tricia Mingerink
It is so, so good to be back in this fantasy world again!

This book is the first in a sequel series to the Spoken Mage series. You can probably jump right in to this one without reading the first series, though I'm not sure why you would want to. The first series is AMAZING and well worth reading.

Ardann and Kallorway and their magic system and complicated political maneuverings seem very real, and this book is a very believable look at where all the kingdoms ended up twenty years after the endi
Shruti
Sep 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021
24th october 2020

I finally got to read this much awaited book, which turns out to be quite similar to the 1st book in Spoken Mage series. And it is strangely appealing how Verene's (Elena's daughter) story starts somewhat similarly as Elena's. Same and reminiscent yet different enough to keep readers interested. While I don't think this is one of the author's best or my most favourite books of hers, this is a good beginning for the new series.

The overall plot was predictable but I like
Annette
Nov 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
I already said last week that I was gonna catch up on the spoken mage and hidden mage series and I'm keeping my promises! This week it was time to finally start this spin off series, since the second book is already waiting for me at my parents' place. The covers are quite different than the ones from the first series, but they're absolutely stunning and I was really excited to get back to this world and to discover a kingdom we've not seen after the war yet.

And it didn't take long for me to re
Crystal D
Oct 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-books
I really like this book. It's a solid first entry in a new series, and I like how it's expanding the Spoken Mage universe. I'll admit, I was a bit worried going into this that Verene would just be a carbon copy of her Mother, but I was so far from the truth as her and the characters in this are vastly different then the ones in the Spoken Mage series, and it's a pleasant surprise.

There's a nice progression of the world in this book, and it feels like a natural progression of the world since we l
Lemon
Oct 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
(I have decided to forgo my long reviews...)

AH!!!!! The books was so good!! I definitely know I enjoyed it better than Elena's story, though I did like hers as well (sorry, Elena, but I think I enjoy heroines with more awareness? XD). The heroine and hero were both incredibly interesting, and the whole first book was a woonderful starting point. Pacing and plot and WORLD were all perfectly done and...it was just a very well-written book.

Of course, there was some issues with exposition that had m
Amy
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: annotate
Oct 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great writing style and intriguing mystery story

When choosing a book I normally don't go for the magic-school type story but the premise of this one intrigued me. The author does a great job of covering the mechanics of the school in an excellent balance of summary and detailed incidents. The characters are well fleshed out, though personally I would have preferred to see more in-depth interactions between the two main characters to support the rather sudden shift in their budding relationship.
Billie Flaming
Oct 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
A new cast of characters, new academy, and new political intrigue! I liked Verene as a leading lady. She’s a politician before anything else, but she’s grounded and makes blunders. We love consequences.
I did feel that Cellier is staying in her comfort zone with this series. We have another prince love interest who is suspicious of our main girl, and similar schoolmate rivalries, though those similarities are most notable in the first third or so. Bryony is an excellent best friend and we love h
Ria
Oct 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Just what we’ve been waiting for since the end of the Spoken Mage series! Kallmon’s politics have fascinated since the Spoken Mage’s infiltration. Now we get up close and personal with the children of our favorite characters and villains, while learning what awaits the future of the South! I particularly love that the story is so deftly written that you can begin with this series and read the first one as a prequel with ease. It gives just enough away to make you wonder, but not so much that the ...more
Kristal Harmon
Oct 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Daughter of Elena and Lucus

4.5stars. Not quite as captivating as the original spoken mage series. Verene's story has similarities to her mother's journey in the Spoken Mage Series general spoilers: she's a bit of the odd woman out at the mage academy, starting her first year and "people" don't want her there. Plus someone might even want her dead. And their might be a stoic prince in love with her.
I'm glad the next book releases in a month because I'm itching for the continuation of her story.
Tara
Oct 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars - this was a similar plot line to the first series, The Spoken Mage. A girl (the daughter) going to a new school while discovering an unknown power, with political intrigue and attacks on her life, and the love interest beginning as antagonists, moving to attraction, and then misunderstanding leads to angst, and close the curtain on book 1 - even the main guy’s personality is pretty similar. However, despite being predictable, I enjoyed the love story the first time around, so it was f ...more
Candice Allen
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Verene's story

I so enjoyed returning to this amazing world and getting to know the next generation through the eyes of Verene the daughter of the spoken mage Elena and Ardenn's Prince Lucas who appears to have no power and is selected to attend the Kallorway academy. The characters are rich and distinct and the story carries you along the year at school with Verene as she navigates both the political and magical powers and tries to stay alive from a threat. I was captured from the first chapter
olivia
Nov 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favourites
4.5; i loved this! quite short but the amount of worldbuilding is fairly impressive and also really interesting. also it's hard to do wrong with a school setting but this had an interesting twist with verene trying to figure out the possible political alignments of the other students, which only made even sweeter to see them eventually become friendly.

i so love verene as a character. she has no magical power but finds different ways to hold authority with grace. bryony is also such a precious fr
Barbara Ann Ansted
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Words do have power

I began reading the spoken mage series and I have been hooked. Give me more. This series (Crown of secrets)is as good as the spoken mage series with mention of my favorite characters from that series. The only drawback to this series is that it does not yet have audible narration. I love being able to switch back and forth as I drive and or complete daily tasks.
Thanks for strong female characters and great fast-moving stories without adding offensive language or Suggestive co
Gena
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, na
Hate to say this but i found the story boring. Interesting concepts however so much of the narrative was world building and explaining that it was dry. And poor Verene. She's like a robot with her only thoughts being of use to her kingdom. Darius was better however since it's told by Verene we don't get to see his side which would have made for a better book. At the very very end we get a little glimpse of future changes. I will read book two but really hope Verene shows some growth. Gorgeous co ...more
A. Hogue
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Great Beginning of the New Series!

I've been looking forward to this new series--that of Lucas and Elena's daughter from The Spoken Mage series--and it was well worth the wait. I loved delving back into their world and getting a glimpse of the Kallowegian Academy. I got sucked in there right beside Verene, trying to find out who's playing on who's side, and which side she should stand behind. Can't wait for the next book!!
Mariko L. Odhner
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved the contrast between Varene and Elena

The main character is so admirably thoughtful. Her upbringing is quite a contrast to Elena. I’m quite impressed with the development of the magic system as this never seemed like Cellier’s focus. So happy, I will only have to wait till February for the completed series.
Julie
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
AWESOME STORY!!!

I really like the previous stories and am so happy the author is continuing with the children’s stories. This story showed that truth and trust can win in stormy times. It also has tons of action and the suspense is off the charts. Can’t wait for the next book in this series. I have already pre-ordered mine. 🤓❤️🦋
Victoria
I enjoyed reading this. it was really slow to get into, but it got there eventually. the story was intriguing and wanted to know what would happen.

I felt the world building was pretty okay, but I think the characters lacked depth and personality. i feel like not of them were distinctively different.
Ellan Vaninn
I couldn't put it down!

Another excellent book! Even though I knew the story would be similar to Elena and Lucas's story, it was still great! And different too! I can't wait for the next book!
Crystal Bussell
So good!!!

I'm so excited for the next book coming out in November. I have loved getting to know these new characters especially Verena and Bree. The ending gives you just enough to be happy for the gains but hungry to continue with more as soon as it is released.
Casie
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love love love

Soooo good, set in a familiar world just a couple decades later. I love getting an extended epilogue of Elaine and Lucian lol but I’m really loving this new cast of characters too!
Tiffany
Oct 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a spin-off series so the beginning had a lot of exposition to explain the world to readers who may not have read the first series. I found Verene and Darius to be a bit of a Elena/Lucas 2.0 but it was different in that both are royals. Contains some mild violence
Joyfulheart
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The beginning was a little slow as you have to explain everything and how it works. But honestly I couldn't put the book down. I was very disappointed to find out that book 2-4 was not out yet. I did see there was a prequel series and have begun that. Very enjoyable.
justin fields
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
You need to read this book!

Loved the Spoken Mage and was excited to read about the next generation. I was not disappointed. New abilities, carefully juggling court fractions, a best friend, and a very handsome prince😉 can't wait for the next book!
Anna Schwirian
Oct 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing

Not at all what I expected, the way you don’t know who to trust or where exactly the author is going is extremely amazing. I can not wait to read the rest of the series and see how the characters grow.
Jammin Nathan
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow

Wow another amazing story
Love the the main characters
Love the plot
This a amazing adventure I the making 👍
Joanne
Oct 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Interesting twist, nice change in magical abilities, but the relationship with the strong, icy prince and talented princess was used again.
Pamela Nash
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Crown of Secrets

This was an interesting story. The Magic a person has comes in a different way. I like the characters and the mystery . Looking forward to the next book.

• Dawn of Darkness (The Riven Kingdoms #3)
  • Voyage (The Kingdom Chronicles #6)
  • Crown of Shadows (Court of Midnight and Deception #1)
  • Sea of Starlight (The Riven Kingdoms #2)
  • The Prince's Bargain (The Elves of Lessa, #3)
  • Shard of Glass: A Cinderella Romance (Fairy Tale Royals, #1)
  • Dreamer of Briarfell: A Retelling of Sleeping Beauty (Fairytales of Folkshore, #7)
  • Thorn of Rose: A Beauty and the Beast Romance (Fairy Tale Royals, #2)
  • Forest of Firelight (The Riven Kingdoms, #1)
  • Death Wind (Elven Alliance, #3)
  • Enchantment (The Kingdom Chronicles, #5)
  • Red Rope of Fate (The Elves of Lessa, #1)
  • Stealing Embers (Fallen Legacies, #1)
  • Midnight Smoke (Firebrand #3)
  • Breaking Neverland: A Retelling of Peter Pan, Part II (The Classical Kingdoms Collection Book 9)
  • Thief (The Scarred Mage of Roseward, #1)
  • Infernal Enchantment (Firebrand #2)
  • Beholden (The Fairest Maidens, #1)
Melanie Cellier grew up on a staple diet of books, books and more books. And although she got older, she never stopped loving children’s and young adult novels.
 She always wanted to write one herself, but it took three careers and three different continents before she actually managed it.

She now feels incredibly fortunate to spend her time writing from her home in Adelaide, Australia where she

The Hidden Mage (4 books)
  • Crown of Danger (The Hidden Mage, #2)
  • Crown of Strength (The Hidden Mage, #3)
  • Crown of Power (The Hidden Mage, #4)