Start by marking “Voluntary Madness” as Want to Read:
Voluntary Madness

Voluntary Madness

Punch is a beautiful man in his forties, slowly dying from alcohol abuse and diabetes. Juliette is his young, naive and adoring girlfriend, willing to do absolutely anything for him. Together they have made a twisted pact: to live a wild life in Key West, collecting material for the book Punch wants to write before they end it all a year later. Punch and Juliette?s ...more
Published June 20th 2002 by Serpent's Tail (first published May 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Voluntary Madness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voluntary Madness

Start your review of Voluntary Madness
Andrew Smith
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: noir-hardboiled
Having enjoyed Iguana Love, I still rather surprised myself by immediately picking out another offering by the same author. There was something about my introduction to this writer’s world of sun, sea and (yes) quite a lot of sex that drew me back rather more quickly than I’d planned.

Juliette and her boyfriend Punch are planning on living wild on Key West, funded by an inheritance from her late father. Punch is writing a book and while he finishes it they're looking to see out twelve months -
Michelle
Apr 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a thrilling ride of two people in love and doing whatever they want to do before their final days. They have a plan and they are writing a book about their experiments and crazy, bizarre doings. It's a page turner. You want to find out what is going to happen next. The characters are fun loving and for me, somewhat relatable.It's raw and real. The ending will leave you saying "whoa!"
Andrea
Mar 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
What can I say? I'm a fan of most of Hendricks' stuff and this is another one I like. Her stories take me right down the rabbit hole into whatever world she creates.

This wouldn't be the one I would recommend to first-time Hendricks' readers. While I think it is a great book, I think Iguana Love is the best intro to her style.
Josh
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, own, read_2013
Punch and Juliette are living a care-free life, spending big, taking risks and engaging in criminal activity with little regard for the ramifications of their actions. Juliette continuously pits herself against fate, throwing her body at the mercy of predators in Key West - gambling with such a precious commodity with a breezy facade' that borders on a deeper need to succumbs to the perils of her vice. It's an interesting dynamic that feel organic, a devil without a care.

Yet, there is method to
D.
Jul 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: noir fans
Another kinky Floridian neo-noir from Vicki Hendricks. Some great moments in this one, and some of her most believable characters. Still, some parts fall flat. Despite the occasional lull, it's still a very compelling read!
Nigel Bird
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Too bad my mother didn’t have a gun. I might have gotten to know her better.”

This one opens like a hurricane. Juliette’s a smoking a joint, idly playing with herself as she waits for a suitable victim to flash. Within a tiny space, the chaos of her early life and the darkness of her future are revealed. She’s hooked up with the love of her life, a diabetic alcoholic writer called Punch with whom she has a suicide pact. While they’re waiting for the date of their deaths, they’re supposed to be
JC Roes
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've read this book twice already, and there will be more. What an amazing story! It's funny, dark, sad, disrespectful and loving. Punch is such a bastard, a selfish crazy man that drags Juliette into his sad life. A woman as crazy as him, stupidly in love and a nihilist too. It's the depction of a perfectly toxic relationship full of erotism and fun.
Guy Salvidge
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I actually read this in 2010. I think I wrote a short review. Here 'tis:

Now I'm planning on reading some more Hendricks!
Tammy Powley
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Other than the fact that this is a romance, this not a typical book for me to read. Hendricks is known for her noir writing and edgy characters, but after meeting the author and listening to her discuss her work, I became curious. Granted, this tends to be a rated "R" type book when it comes to description, and some of the sex scenes were a little more descriptive than I felt comfortable reading, but I quickly got pulled into the story. The primary reason for this was because of the main ...more
Chelsea
Dec 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A wild ride.
Courtne
Mar 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
A great look into the ways love can cloud our minds and keep us coming back for more.
Douglas
Aug 01, 2012 rated it did not like it
I'm really having trouble sticking with this. Nothing has me interested in the story or the characters. If they're going to kill themselves, I wish they would do it in the next five pages.

Finished: I hate when authors use typical, cliched settings to give a story atmosphere. One of the most common settings, to give a quirky, carefree atmoshpere is Key West. This could be set anywhere and it would be no better(or worse).

The main character reminds me of the stupid, white-trash slut the Julliette
Mitzi