Start by marking “Cracked: An Anthology of Eggsellent Chicken Stories” as Want to Read:
Cracked: An Anthology of Eggsellent Chicken Stories

Cracked: An Anthology of Eggsellent Chicken Stories

Published August 31st 2020

To ask other readers questions about Cracked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cracked

Start your review of Cracked: An Anthology of Eggsellent Chicken Stories
Bonnye Reed
The short stories in this collection are all a hoot. They run from dystopian to Mars homesteading to big city coops, and all are residences for some extraordinary people and quite a few chickens, with most breeds of both covered very well. If you need a laugh through these troubling pandemic days, check out Bokerah Brumley, and the world of Cracked.

Reviewed on September 9, 2020, at Goodreads, AmazonSmile, and BookBub. Not available to review on B&N, Kobo, or GooglePlay.
Emilie Johnson
Sep 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
I only read and am reviewing one story in this anthology: Chickening Out, by Margo Bond Collins. It is a short story about shifters (yes, chicken shifters!) with humor and romance.

This story is adorable and sweet, and it made me laugh. What more could you want? Just a hint of sexy, too? You got it! A short, but complete, story.

Annette
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Chickening Out-Margo Bond Collins. Very entertaining. This had me from the first couple of pages. It is so hilarious. Very short but satisfying, fast paced with instant chemistry. Love it and wish there was more. I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving a review.
Sep 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
I read Chickening Out by Margo Bond Collins. It was a quick read about Tori who is a social worker that gets attacked by a were chicken and then ends up meeting Niall who is a werewolf. It's an usual pairing, but it some how works. I volunteered to read this book via Booksprout. ...more
Annie Lima
Oct 18, 2020 rated it liked it
This is one of the most unusual anthologies I've ever read! I really enjoyed the journey through these pages, adventuring with chickens of all kinds (heroes, villains, and everything in between). It did frustrate me that a few of the "stories" were more like scenes or excerpts, without a complete plot or resolution. A few others contained profanity or sexual references (nothing explicit), so this definitely isn't a book for kids. Others had not been carefully edited, and I cringed at the errors ...more
Lori Winters
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
You will start out laughing in this story. The characters were realistic and charming, so much fun to read this one. The story keeps your attention and you will find yourself laughing and smiling throughout the story. Had never read this author before, but now will find other stories she has written.

Shayay
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
*So far, this review is only for Margo Bond Collins’ story Chickening Out*

Fun, cute short shifter story! Such a sweet connection between Tori and Niall. Tori gets attacked by a crazy chicken, but things are looking up when she meets her hot new neighbor, Niall. Niall is a wolf shifter and recognizes Tori as his mate, but both are in for some surprises. Enjoyable short that I wished was longer!
Andrea Barth-Leidinger
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Chickening out

I actually had to stop reading after the first chapter because of my laughing fit.
This short story did make my day! If you have twenty minutes to spare I do highly recommend to take your e-reader and devour it, especially on a shitty Friday

I received a ARC copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving a review.
Kathleen Bradbury (Bulfon)
Sep 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have not read a bad book from this author yet and this book is no exception! The great plot and character development kept me so engaged throughout the entire book that I had a very hard time putting this book down until the very last page was turned!
Jenna Rideout
Oct 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary review copy of Cracked: An Anthology of Eggsellent Chicken Stories in exchange for an honest review as part of my participation in the blog tour for this title with Silver Dagger Book Tours. Thank you to the editor (or publicist?) and Silver Dagger for this opportunity! This did not influence my review; my thoughts are my own and my review is honest.

Cracked: An Anthology of Eggsellent Chicken Stories is a collection of wonderfully humorous and absurd short stories tha
Steven R. McEvoy
Sep 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2020
I picked this up for three main reasons. First the concept really intrigued me. And I also picked this up because I am a big fan of two of the contributors. I have read and reviewed several works by both Karina Fabian and Jane Lebak. And finally, I love anthologies because I usually find an author or two to add to my reading list. The anthology did not disappoint. The description of the book is:

“Chickens Land on Mars...
But what happens when authors have too much free time on their hands?
A challe
Sue Me
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Tori Lansing a very pretty young social worker who had one last stop, to check on a farm family. While she attempted to get to the house, she was viciously attacked by a chicken. Her ankles left scratched and bloody. Besides that, she did not get to inspect the living conditions of her charge. She unhappily lets her boss know what happened and he insisted that she go out there again on Monday morning.

Once home, she found that a gorgeous, tall, well-built man moving in next door. His name was Nia
Emily Pennington
Sep 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Twenty authors bring us crazy stories ranging in subject matter from chickens in space to cozy murder mystery farm yards to schools of magical thought, including guardian angels, chicken shifters, aliens, and feathered matchmakers. These chicken tales come from the minds of twenty “cooped-up authors on the edge of cracking”, so you know it’s going to be quite a romp in the henhouse! Let yourself be caught up in the laughter and enjoy!

In “Chickening Out: A Shifters United Short Story” by Margo Bo
Anna Ostberg
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Chickening out - Margo Bond Collins
by Anna O

Great Fun, easy read, chicken shifter PNR with a HEA. One of the Eggsellent Chicken Stories.

Spoiler alert!
New to the town Walton Springs. Wolf Shifter, Niall is moving in when his neighbour arrives home. His wolf immediately lays claim to the lovely red head. She had a slight limp he noted, and some blood on her ankle. A fated mate he never expected to find. Best Friday Ever.

Tori Lansing works for Child Protection Services. In the course of her duties
Kkhmonrai
Sep 16, 2020 rated it liked it
This review is for "Chickening Out" a short story by Margo Bond Collins included in the Cracked anthology, a collection of stories by various authors focused on encounters with chickens. This story is a cute, sexy, and funny story with a social worker being attacked by a crazed chicken, resulting in very strange side effects. She comes home to find a new, sexy neighbor who is very interested in her, turning the worst day into the best day. I loved their meet-cute, and Niall's internal reflection ...more
Ronel Olver
Sep 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
This review is for Chickening Out: A Shifters United Short Story by Margo Bond Collins

Short, fun and very entertaining story, I started enjoying myself from page 1. Tori as social worker is out on a farm when she is attached by a chicken and she is sure she is having the worst day ever, until she gets home and meets her new neighbor Niall, best day ever. The chemistry between Nial and Tori is instant and scorching and while very short the author still manages to convey the passion, feelings and
Leslie
Dec 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Twenty authors collaborated on this collection of speculative fiction short stories revolving around chickens. It might not make sense unless you consider that the idea was conceived during quarantine. It still might not make any sense, but again, quarantine. Short fiction has been a good fit for my reading mood this year, small bites when something longer might not hold my concentration. I enjoy short story collections in general because they can serve as an introduction to authors whose work I ...more
Alison
Sep 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
My review is for Chickening Out by Margo Bond Collins, one of the stories in this collection.
Tori works at the Child Protective Services, and has a weird day at work where she is attacked by a chicken, when she was going to do an inspection. Niall has recently moved to a new apartment, which happens to next door to Tori, and naturally he bumps into her. His wolf wants to claim her the moment they shake hands. Can he win her over? I enjoyed this short romantic shifter story, Niall is protective a
Jennifer Soppe
Oct 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
My review only pertains to the story Chickening Out contained in this anthology, I will be reading the whole book at a later date.

A hilarious short story

Tori, a social worker with Child Protective Services, meets her new neighbor Niall, enforcer for his wolf pack, after the worst work day ever. As the story progresses an instant connection is felt, they agree to a dinner date, and a surprise reveal could force them apart. Margo Bond Collins Chickening Out is a hilarious short story about a wolf
Denise
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a NON-SPOILER REVIEW of Chickening Out: A Shifters United Short Story by Margo Bond Collins. This story is an introduction to her new Shifters United world. This is a really quick read (20 minutes or so) that packs a punch! Tori and Niall's story is just a taste of yummy fun and funny circumstances that part part of the Margo Bond Collins arsenal. I definitely wanted more of this story... who was that crazy chicken!?! A great introduction to the stories to come!

This honest and voluntary
Sarah Milnthorpe
Sep 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a review for Chickening Out: A Shifters United Short Story By Margo Bond Collins, only

This really is a super cute quick shifter story. Tori get attacked by a chicken not realising it’s a werechicken (no I’ve thought about a werechicken before either). She goes home only to meet her new neighbour Niall, he takes one look and one sniff of Tori and knows she is his mate. What follows is a sweet story of a werechicken and a werewolf.

I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am
Lisa Bing
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
While I've only read one story so far, I absolutely loved how Chickening Out, by Margo Bond Collins just grabbed hold of my attention. I had never thought of chicken shifters and this story really gave me a good taste of this idea when an unexpected change impacted a gal's life. I also loved how the 'wolf' next door wanted to help her out ;) They had fab chemistry while navigating shocks and the steam flowing between them. It was all good fun and now I'm going to dive into the other fowl stories ...more
Rhonda Hicks
Sep 16, 2020 rated it liked it
This is the first book by Margo Bond Collins I've read so I had no idea what to expect from her writing style, her worldbuilding, or her character interactions. 'Chickening Out' is a short, easy read that had me baffled, truthfully. Because this novella is quick to read, I can't really tell you what happens without giving everything away but there are several loose ends for this plot to run wild in. Honestly, this is the first storyline of this nature I've read so I'm reserving judgment until ...more
Susana Duarte
Nov 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Chickening Out (A Shifters United Short Story) by Margo Bond Collins:
Really short story and so odd and unexpected that turns out to be quite funny.
The moto is chicken shifters. Have you ever heard of it? I haven't, so this is definitely something new.
Now mix a new chicken shifter and an old wolf one, as true mates - instant cool story.
I wished it was a bit longer and I would love to know what was the thing with the original chicken shifter that begins all the mess.
I think this is the beginning o
Nan
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This review is for Chickening Out by Margo Bond Collins.

I had a lot of fun with this fated mates short story about a seemingly mismatched pair of shifters. It’s the start of Shifter’s United and I look forward to reading more in the series. I received an advance copy of this book and voluntarily left a review.

After reading this I downloaded the whole anthology because I enjoyed it so much.
Wanda Jewell
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read the story Chickening Out by Margo Bond Collins. I have to say that this story made me laugh. I have been attacked by chickens. They can be mean little snots. The weekend starts out rough with the chicken attack, but by the end of the weekend, let's just say that it was a VERY GOOD weekend. I enjoyed the story and would recommend it.

Dora
Sep 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
My review is for Chickened Out by Margo Bond Collins
Chuckled a lot with the misadventure of the social worker. From the descriptions and narrations, I imagined the chicken and it made me laugh more. The author’s fertile imagination put on paper an absurd situation that intrigued me. How I would like to read about the chicken in the shifter's pack! Amusing, entertaining, short but with romance and a HEA. Voluntarily reviewed this story that I liked and received free from Booksprout.
Jean
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Read “Chickened Out” by Margo Bond Collins.
On an assignment for Child Protective Services to do a home visit at a farm, Tori is attacked and scratched by a chicken. Returning home to clean up Tori meets her new neighbor, Niall moving in. Loved the interaction between these two characters. Especially when Tori realizes she has been turned into a chicken shifter.

Lesley
Sep 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am only reviewing “Chickening Out” by Margo Bond Collins. This was a completely new type of shapeshifter theme for me. I have never read a book about chicken shifters before. It was fun but I felt it was way too short I wanted to find out more about Tori and Niall and how these totally different shifter forms worked together. Perhaps this premise can be utilised in later books.

Jeanne Richardson
Sep 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Chickening Out is part of the Cracked Anthology and is the 4th book I've read written by Margo Bond Collins; she has done a great job at writing a good book; I can’t wait to read more of her books.

I loved the characters.

• Entered in the Alien Bride Lottery (Khanavai Warrior Bride Games, #1)
  • Stolen and Seduced
  • Captured for the Alien Bride Lottery (Khanavai Warrior Bride Games, #2)
  • Halloween Hearts: A Halloween Collection of Fantasy, Urban Fantasy, and Paranormal Romance
  • Once Upon a Fairy Tale Night: A Collection of Retellings
  • Claimed for the Alien Bride Lottery (Khanavai Warrior Bride Games, #3)
  • Falling for Shifters
  • Wicked Souls
  • Tiny & Fierce (Her Alien Crew, #1)
  • Captured and Captivated
  • A Very Alien Christmas
  • The Alien Warlord’s Obsession (Orean Warlords, #2)
  • Star Mate Matched (Interstellar Shifters #1)
  • Taming My Dragon Boss (Kismet Employment Agency #3)
  • Vaxxlian Alien Mail Order Brides Vol. 1 (Intergalactic Dating Agency)
  • Hello, Alpha Male: A Romance 5 Book Bundle
  • N'ashtar the Alien Prince (Thoherian Barbarians #2)
  • Her Alien Savage (Exiled Warriors of Planet Virix Book 2)