Start by marking “Abstract Love” as Want to Read:
Abstract Love

Abstract Love

I hate Sam Shelby. So why do I want to kiss him?

Sam never expected to move back to Cleveland.
Donovan never expected to be attracted to a man.
Well, shit happens.

After high school, Sam Shelby moved to New York. Eight years later, he returns to Cleveland and lands a job at the best ad firm in town. It would be the perfect gig, if his boss weren’t such an ass.

After his wife l
Published September 4th 2020

Start your review of Abstract Love
* A Reader Obsessed *
4 Hearts - BR with Annery!!

If you’re wanting an office romance featuring an age gap, opposites attract, enemies to lovers progression with dominance overtones then look no further!

Donovan is a top notch grump at a top notch advertising company. He’s also a control freak, makes no apologies nor any concessions, and he’s very very good at his job. NO ONE questions him, until one day new hire Sam, a daring brilliant artist, explodes onto the scene and proceeds to challenge Donovan in all aspects of
Jan
Sep 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: age-gap, ku, favorites, lgbtq
When I read Come Play: An Erotica Charity Anthology last year, Abstract Love was by far my favourite story among the ten stories featured there. Five Stars.🤩 I hadn't written my thoughts back then. I wish I had and so I could work out why the short version impressed me more than the extended one.

One thing for sure, it bothered me this time how much Donovan left Anna dictated his life, making all decisions and adding more weight to his miserable existence.

Also, how quickly Sam switched from a c
Ariana
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4,5 stars

Marvelous enemies-to-lovers.
Great GFY.
Age gap.
Excellent writing.

Two very distinct and likeable men:
Sam: flamboyant, talented, confident, and cheeky. Mr. ‘No Relationships, Please’! (spelt in capital letters.)
Donovan: grumpy, hurt, confused and very sad. Freshly divorced and disillusioned with his life.

Well, that’s the first impression you get, but there is more to both men than meets the eye to start with. Sam’s painful past and Donovan’s unfulfilled career, for example.

I pretty much
Annery
***BR with ARO***

Donovan Cooper is tall, handsome, and professionally successful. He’s also miserable, angry all the time, and his marriage has imploded. These things are not unrelated.

Sam Shelby is beautiful, an eccentric dresser, and a graphic designer wunderkind. He’s also lugging around some family baggage.

These two forces collide at Stoker & Steele, an advertising agency in Cleveland, and sparks fly. Donovan is Sam’s boss and to all appearances the two go together like oil and vinegar, no
Ele
Sep 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was such a page turner. I loved the angst and banter, the jealousy and the fights....it was all right up my alley.

One star deduction because the reconciliation felt anticlimactic. I expected grovelling and I do not like when the wronged party, if you can call it that, instigates things again. But what followed was beautiful.

Also, Sam's "nobody gets in" act was forced sometimes but that's a minor niggle.

All in all, a good read. A surprise really because I didn't think I meshed with this au
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
Loved it!

New to me author but this one had a lot of my favorites.

GFY
Enemies to lovers
Age gap
Witty banter
The good kind of angst
Some mild kink
Delicious steam

The blurb and cover drew me in and this one did not disappoint!
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*I didn't like it*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

The book centers around the new graphic designer Sam Shelby (26) and his boss and Director of Creative Development, Donovan Cooper (37). I did not like Donovan nor Sam. I did not like Sam acting like the boss and making decisions while Donovan is the actual boss. I did not like Donovan allowing Sam to walk over him. I felt no connection, no chemistry between the two characters. At all. The sex wasn't all that and I just wanted to give up the book. While the boo
*•.¸✽ Damjana ✽¸.•*
Jan 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
4.25 STARS

This is my first book by Sara Dobie Bauer and I really loved it! It was quick read, I was fully invested from the beginning to the end. Story is not emotionally too deep, but ticks all favorites boxes:
✔ Enemy to lovers
✔ Office romance
✔ Mild angst
✔ Age-gap
✔ Steamy
✔ Gay for you

Okay, I must confess I am not such fan of GFY. Story must be realistic enough to be convincing and at this Sara Dobie Bauer succeeded perfectly.

Side note: this book's general rating is under 4 stars. I think re
Renée

Loved the angst. It was almost too much (not the amount of angst but that particular line of angst). I loved the push/pull.

But this author committed a cardinal sin against my reading enjoyment. She had the "injured party" be the one who went back and fight for the relationship.

Nope. Lots of points off for that.
Leslie
⭐️⭐️⭐️.5/5 Stars. Rounding up.
🔥🔥🔥🔥/5 Heat Level
5/5 Weird fashion I didn’t understand but was strangely intrigued by. 🤣

Please accept this verbal vomit/random thoughts and feelings in place of an actual review:

✅ Lets just get this part out of the way. This book was hot!
✅ Age gap done right.
✅ My kryptonite (or one of them): uptight/stuffy/grumpy vs liquid sunshine.
✅ Bisexual awakening.
✅ Angst and baggage with reasons. Not angst for angst sake.
✅ Fashion that I was perplexed but entertained by.
Rebelexmachina
Sep 13, 2020 rated it did not like it
This book has a beautiful cover.

But I’ve never met two more unlikeable main characters in a book before (Donovan and Sam). Granted, Donovan was less hateful than Sam but that’s only because Donovan was mostly one dimensional and Sam really was that bad.

Sam is bisexual, and a pretty big, embarrassing, and offensive bisexual cliche at that; would sleep with everyone he meets, actually sleeps with 98% of people he meets, doesn’t really “get” relationships, has multiple fuck buddies on the go and d
Papie
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Sep 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5★'s

I think I should just call 2020 the year of "this book should not have worked for me but totally did" because it just keeps happening to me!

This book totally worked for me.

I think I even loved it a little.

And guys, I should not have even liked it all that much. There were so many things that normally drive me crazy but just made the story more here.

I didn't want to put this down and couldn't wait to get back to it when I had to.

I did hit a point, probably about half way where I lost a li
Shelby
Sep 25, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF @ 26%.

Let's face it, I picked this because of the cover... which is gorgeous.

Unfortunately, I've never taken such an instant to two characters as fast as I have these two.

Donovon hates Sam because he tucks his socks into his pants. He tells Sam he is greedy after finding out Sam is bisexual. He thinks another character is probably is a felon based on his appearance.

Sam is oversexed... because he is a greedy bisexual, I guess. He's brat.

Both of these men, and probably everyone else they wor
True Loveislovereview
Owwww my favorite troop enemies-to-lovers!! I’m so excited! This author always delivers the best of the best!

✅ Enemies-to-lovers
✅ Age gap
✅ Romantic comedy
✅ Hot, grumpy boss man
✅ Snarky , young graphic designer

Sam Shelby, twenty-six, is the new, very competent, Graphic Designer at Stoker & Steele and bluntly honest with his opinions. He doesn’t mince his words, even against his eleven years older boss Donovan Cooper, Director of Creative Development. Donovan doesn’t like bratty Sam at all, even d
W.
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
Disappointing

I read Abstract Love when it was a novella, that was few months ago. I sincerely enjoyed that first version; even think , gave it a 3.5 or 4 stars rating.

But , this isn't the version I liked. Something went sideways when the story was extended. Now, my ratings drops down to 2 stars. 1 stars for the beautiful cover and 1 star for the memories of the original short story.

And do you know , what is my biggest disappointment? I was one of those readers who said wanted more of the chara
Ariana Nash
Sep 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Gah! Wonderful!

Grumpy ad executive, Donovon, is stuck in a rut and his ex-wife isn't making life easier, not least because she's run off with his best friend. He's pushing forty and miserable.

Enter the young ad designer, Sam, whose brilliant, bubbly, and wears hideous socks. Naturally, Donovon hates him. The kid's obnoxious, doesn't listen, and has a string of sexual partners. So why can't Donovon stop thinking about him in the shower, beneath Donovon's hands, up against a wall...

I loved this s
.Lili.
Sep 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
The hype is true- read it.
⭐️AMST⭐️
⭐️ 4.5 Stars ⭐️

I wanted to give it 5 stars, but with time I learned that only few books are perfect. It wasn’t perfect, but IMO it was really close to that.

What can I say? I really really loved this book.
Even though their personality was a little OTT, the MCs felt real to me— Donovan was broody, miserable and sad. Sam was sassy, arrogant and a little bit emotionless, but only on the outside (and I loveddd him! Exactly my kind of character) and together they were... Kind of perfect for each ot
Joyfully Jay
Sep 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sammy
A Joyfully Jay review.

5 stars

Abstract Love follows two men who could not be more different from each other. Donovan lives an ordered life, where the only place he allows his real self and his artistic passions to come out is in a locked room in his apartment. But he hasn’t gone in there in some time—even his love of painting has fizzled over the years, just as his marriage did. Sam is like a burst of energy—chaotic, sloppy, brilliant, and allergic to committed relationships. No one ever sleeps
Julia
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
Love me a m/m enemies to lovers (GFY) trope, especially one as cute as this 💕
Lelyana's Reviews
Jul 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, mm, arc
Abstract Love is a unique love story.
While I like the story, I had a love-hate relationship with Sam Shelby. Yeah, I thought it was going to be with Donovan. But no, I loved Donovan.
I didn't really like Sam's relationships with other people, and his hookups while he's also kinda involved with Donovan.
It's hard for me to like Sam, honestly. But imagining that he's physically described a Timothee Chalamet's lookalike, I forgave him with his freedom behavior. And learning about his past, why he h
Pam
Oct 02, 2020 marked it as zz-dnf
Shelves: gb-20q4
DNF at 19%
Layla
So, I just got around to reading this...
*wears the cone of shame*

****Highly Recommended Art****

For Fans of #AgeGap #WorkplaceRomance #BiAwakening #GFY

Why read this book...

1. The Characters..
Donovan, a 37 year old "straight" Ad Director, is going through a divorce after his wife cheats in him with his best friend. He is lonely, depressed and grumpy. #GrumpyMenAreMyKryptonite

Then comes Sam, the 26 year old new hot shot graphic designer. Sam is bisexual, pretty, mouthy and shows all of it off. #S
Barb ~rede-2-read~
I loved this story! The characters captured my attention from the beginning and their snarky banter in combination with Sam's creativity and sparkling personality kept me interested all the way through. Along the way we learn why Donovan is the uptight boss of the ad agency by day and late at night creates works of art in a closed off room in his home. And we spend time with Sam--one of my all-time favorite characters. He's smart, a creative genius, funny, cute, and sexy. He's someone I would lo ...more
Bookish
Sep 10, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF at 35%

Seriously , didn't get the hype it has.
Didn't get the chemistry.
Didn't get the characters transitions.
I mean the writing is good but...
didn't work for me.
Emily Hernandez
Sep 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book. The blurb sounded promising, and I've enjoyed other books by this author before. Unfortunately, something just didn't click for me, and I think it all started with the characters. Before I get into that, I want to point out that this story is the expansion of the novella Sara Dobie Bauer wrote for the Come Play charity anthology. I didn't know that when I started reading this book, so a lot of the scenes felt weirdly familiar to me until I figured it out.

Donovan and S
Michael S.
DNF 26%. Book, it is absolutely not you; it’s me. I am so conflicted over this one already.

The writing is good. The characters seem interesting. There appears to be some intriguing backstory to unpack. Why do I need a break?

I guess I just can’t with the MCs right now. I have to be in the right mindset to deal with their quirks, and they are both annoying me.

At the start of our story, Donovan is an emotional wreck who knows he is taking out his feelings on the people around him, especially those
Donna
Sep 07, 2020 rated it liked it
ML
An original take on non-traditional romance

Relationships are messy... even non-relationships.
The push and pull that usually annoys me in books didn’t in this one.

These characters were both antagonistic and a bit anti-hero-ish. I really loved their grumpy vs genial dispositions.

I wasn’t even sure this would end in a traditional HEA.
Sam and Donovan were both artists but were like oil and water until they weren’t.

This book was fascinating in the way each character chose to love the other one.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Turning Pages At ...: Abstract Love (M/M Buddy Read) by Sara Dobie Bauer 29 18 Oct 08, 2020 05:50PM

• The Happy List (Better With You, #1)
  • Bad Habits (Wages of Sin #1)
  • We Have Till Dawn
  • Off Balance (Painted Bay, #1)
  • Face Offs & Cheap Shots (CU Hockey, #2)
  • Down Low (Down Home #1)
  • Merry Measure
  • Taxes and Tardis
  • A Long Way Back (Unfinished Business #2)
  • The Making of Jonty Bloom (Unfinished Business, #1)
  • After Felix (Close Proximity, #3)
  • Just Friends (Never Just Friends, #1)
  • Precious
  • Angels in the City
  • Laying Pipe (Blue Collar Hearts #1)
  • Bossy
  • Topping the Jock (Blue Harbor #1)
LGBT > Gay
See top shelves…
Sara Dobie Bauer is a bestselling author, model, and mental health / LGBTQ advocate with a creative writing degree from Ohio University. She lives with her hottie husband and two precious pups in Northeast Ohio, although she’d really like to live in a Tim Burton film.

JOIN THE FACEBOOK SEXY CIRCLE: