Jump to ratings and reviews

Chronicles of the Stone Veil #2

A Discovery of Secrets and Fate

Life as I knew it ended the day I accepted my fate.

In its place is an existence even the wildest imagination could never fathom. Strange creatures walk among us, plotting our demise, and I’ve come to find that the fate of our world rests squarely on my shoulders. We’re all in danger and I’m trying to figure out how to make it through each day.

The key to my survival is a man I can’t figure out. As dangerous as the darkest fae, I have no choice but to work with him to stop the prophecy that’s foretold to be the ruination of mankind.

Carrick Byrne continues to be my only source of information, but he doles it out as he sees fit. He intrigues and scares me in equal measure, yet I can’t help but be attracted to him. And the more I discover about him, the more it becomes clear he feels the same.

As we travel to Faere in search of answers, we find that every piece of information leads to more questions, that every question leads to a new piece of the puzzle, and that, most importantly, no one can be trusted.

The more secrets we uncover, one thing is certain— if we have any chance of saving the world, we have to do it together.

A Discovery of Secrets and Fate is book two of the Chronicles of the Stone Veil series and is best enjoyed if read in series order.

406 pages, Paperback

First published March 2, 2021

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Sawyer Bennett

173 books13.6k followers
New York Times, USA Today, and Wall Street Journal Bestselling author Sawyer Bennett uses real life experience to create relatable stories that appeal to a wide array of readers. From contemporary romance, fantasy romance, and both women’s and general fiction, Sawyer writes something for just about everyone.

A former trial lawyer from North Carolina, when she is not bringing fiction to life, Sawyer is a chauffeur, stylist, chef, maid, and personal assistant to her very adorable daughter, as well as full-time servant to her wonderfully naughty dogs.

If you’d like to receive a notification when Sawyer releases a new book, sign up for her newsletter (sawyerbennett.com/signup).

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
39 (3%)
1 star
5 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 175 reviews
Profile Image for ✰ Liz ✰ .
1,342 reviews1,246 followers
March 23, 2021
"Do immortals sleep?"
description

A Discovery of Secrets and Fate is the second book in the Chronicles of the Stone Veil. Sawyer Bennett has created a world where good and evil are at war and the stakes are high for those who want to survive! Finley is seeking the truth about her powers and her sister. Despite her torn feelings for Carrick, she cannot seem to stay away from him. Although he seems to want her as well, something is holding him back. As the forces of evil continue to grow in strength, Carrick and Finley are desperate to survive.

description
"I don't know what it is, but I do know this Dark Fae is at the center of it."
A Discovery of Secrets and Fate introduces a world with fantastical magic and multiple surprises around every corner. The intensity between Carrick and Finley is off the charts and the relationship building between the two is truly epic.
"You shouldn't want it to happen."
Overall, A Discovery of Secrets and Fate will appeal to readers who enjoy paranormal romance with an outstanding ensemble of characters, a complex plot, and a fantastical world full of intrigue and power! I am addicted to this world and I cannot wait for more!

For more reviews/reveals/giveaways visit:

description
Profile Image for Sentranced Jem.
1,025 reviews564 followers
February 28, 2021

I think people who plan to start this series should know that the story so far has been going at a steady pace…it’s not slow burn, neither is there a lot happening in a short amount of time. I have to say I’m enjoying the pace. I’m getting to understand the characters better, my bond with these characters is building in a slow, natural steady pace.

Let’s talk about Finley cause this girl is a tough woman and on most occasions, so fearless.I felt Finley’s frustrations with everything that’s happening in her life…Sawyer Bennett captured her anger, her loss, her confusion perfectly. Plus I find Finely’s sarcasm extremely entertaining.

Now let’s talk about Finley and Carrick. The sizzle of attraction between these two? It’s addictive. Their’s isn’t an enemies to lovers neither is it a friends to lovers…it’s sort of in-between? Enemies to friends to maybe - hoping for lovers? Haha

They aren’t friends or enemies but you sure can feel the sizzling attraction. The attraction is not the in-your-face type but the subtle kind that gets you going..the type that makes you look twice. And the intensity gets you nervous and excited!

The discovery and revelations in this book makes for a page turning read.

I for one, am looking forward to reading more from this series.
Profile Image for Dali.
1,748 reviews433 followers
February 28, 2021
With A Discovery of Secrets and Fate, Sawyer Bennett continues her romantic fantasy series that has rich world building and fascinating magic, edged with thrilling suspense.

A Discovery of Secrets and Fate picks up where The Revelation of Light and Dark left off. Finley Porter knew life wouldn’t be the same when she accepted her special abilities to see other worldly creatures walking the Earth.

On her twenty eighth birthday though, fate throws her another twist when those powers are heightened among other things making her want to disappear, especially from her business partner and the only man who’s give her information about herself and the key part she plays in a doomsday prophecy. Even though she’s intrigued and attracted to Carrick Byrne, can she trust him?

That question is carried over from the previous book and is answered in this one, but many more arise in this fascinating story of forbidden romance which is amped up by the mythology of this imaginative world Sawyer Bennett has built. Creatures and landscapes of imaginary richness are dotted across the story.

Finley is a tough and fearless woman, who despite the loss and challenges she’s faced with continues to push through while trying to break through Carrick’s iron clad veneer. Although we’ve seen cracks and the attraction is sizzling and promises to be an epic romance, I can’t wait for them to be able to savor their feelings for each other.

Of course there are secondary characters who are crucial to the plot. I loved reading about past and new characters that give this story an added layer of texture and vividness.

I was totally engrossed and although we’ve gotten answers there are still 3,977, 320 questions. Still, Carrick and Finley’s journey left me both satisfied and wanting more.

A Discovery of Secrets and Fate is book #2 of Chronicles of the Stone Veil series by Sawyer Bennett who does a wonderful job of recounting events from the previous book in case you missed it, but it’s recommended to read in order. It is told from both points of view leaning towards the heroine’s side and ends with a cliffhanger. Genres: Paranormal Romance | Fantasy Tropes: Alpha hero | billionaire hero | kick@$$ heorine

Amazon -> https://amzn.to/3uDPiTt

★ I was given an ARC of this book courtesy of the author via Ink Slinger PR. The excerpts are from that copy. I am voluntarily reviewing this title. ★

Stalk me on FaceBookInstagramMore reviews
Profile Image for Lady Heather .
1,290 reviews698 followers
March 2, 2021
Publication Date: March 2, 2021

"5- All is not as it seems, stars!"

This is the second book in the "Chronicles of the Stone Veil" pentalogy, and I have to say that I'm really enjoying this series.

In A Discovery of Secrets and Fate there is more emphasis on character development and world-building.
Carrick and Finley are set to travel to Faere, and the author did a wonderful job of describing the land the Queen of the Light Fae has created, and the dynamics of their society.

The story's writing was well-paced and we soon discover what Carrick is, and his true reason for helping Finley. We also learn the reason why Finley is so special.

The author is giving the reader the right amount of information to keep them engaged, but also not enough to have them surmise what will happen next.

I like where the author is going with Carrick and Finley's characters.

I'm intrigued to find out what happens next because this book too, ended with a cliff-hanger.

This was a wonderful read and I'm anxious to read the next book in the series!

"I voluntarily read an ARC of this book which was provided by the author and InkslingerPR in exchange for an honest review."
Profile Image for Nadine Bookaholic.
3,557 reviews308 followers
March 5, 2021
I must stress that this series needs to be read in the order it is released to enjoy it at it fullest. The first book The Revelation of Light and Dark left us with a whopper of a cliffhanger and this book picks up right where that one left off.

I found this story a bit more enjoyable and I think it was because of everything going on, and there is a lot! The chemistry is getting stronger between Carrick and Finley and I cannot wait to see if they get their HEA. We find out a bit more about Carrick as well as Finley, and a whole lot more about what happened with Finley's sister Fallon. There are still a ton of questions and I know they will each be answered in their own time because this series is moving at a steady pace so there is plenty of time to get the answers we are dying for.....and yes there are some answers I am dying for. This isn't one of those books that you want to skim through at any point because you will miss something and that nugget could be a BIG one.

This book also left us with one heck of a cliffhanger which has me anxiously awaiting the next release in a few weeks.

If you enjoy Paranormal reads I would recommend this series to you.

Happy Reading!!!

Find out more and enter a GIVEAWAY here: http://bit.ly/NBReviewADoSaF

A Discovery of Secrets and Fate by Sawyer Bennett

Nadine's Obsessed with Books **I have voluntarily reviewed an Advanced Readers Copy of this book for my Blog, Nadine's Obsessed with Books**
You can find me here:  https://linktr.ee/NadineBookaholic
Profile Image for Natalie  ~ The Biblioholic.
2,472 reviews1,204 followers
March 4, 2021
After the way The Revelation of Light and Dark ended, I was pretty desperate to find out what would be next for Carrick and Finley. Would there be a huge confrontation with the new big bad dark fae in town? Would Finley find out just what her role is in the prophecy? And just what in the heck was Carrick?

While many of my questions were answered and while I got answers to questions I didn't even ask, I'm left at the end of A Discovery of Secrets and Fate with a confused look on my face. Knowing what Carrick is (and yes, I was totally right!), knowing what his reward is, has only made my journey going forward with this series that much harder. So will there or will there not be a romance in the future? Because this author has me practically begging for something to happen. If this is a slow burn kinda thing, it has to be the slowest freaking burn in the history of all burns.

I'm still not Finley's biggest fan. Again, I had to constantly remind myself that she was in her late 20s because she was a bit too childish and immature for words. However, her nonsense worked in some situations so I'll admit that she's growing on me.

Obviously I liked what I got out of this part of the story. I do believe I've been spending way too much time in Finley's head and there was a bit too much itemization of the minutiae of her daily life, but I am most definitely looking forward to what happens in book three. The Evolution of Fae and Gods is next and I'm looking forward to more Carrick, more Zaid, more everyone, but especially what the heck happens after the fiery cliffhanger I'm still a bit hungover from.

Profile Image for Dana aka ♥Belladonna♥ .
682 reviews180 followers
May 3, 2021
Unfortunately, this one didn't work for me. While I love the descriptions of Seattle, love Carrick's character, and the interaction with the Gods, there wasn't much of a plot arc here. It reads fairly flat until the last ten percent. Adding to that, Finley's character seems to have turned into a weepy, immature, irrational person. Her actions in this book venture into TSTL territory. For me, it was a vast departure from the ambitious, intelligent woman with a hard-won sense of self.

I'm on the fence if I will continue the series. I feel like I can guess where this is going, and I don't think it should take three more books to get there.
Profile Image for Simply Love Book Reviews.
6,893 reviews819 followers
March 4, 2021
I am simply loving the Chronicles of the Stone Veil series, and this second book pulls the reader deeper into the mysteries surrounding the prophesy that Finley Porter is destined to fulfill.

In the first story, we met Finley, and alongside her, we learn that the world is not as it seems. Dark and Light Fae, as well as demons, walk among us, and Finley must come to terms with the fact that her ability to see through the disguises that these creatures wear makes her unique. Assisted by the wealthy and mysterious Carrick Byrne, Finley is pulled deeper into a world that she only wants to ignore and pretend doesn’t exist.

This second installment is not technically a separate book but the next part of a larger story. In A Discovery, we follow Finley as her and Carrick journey to the land of Faere to gain more insight into Finley’s role in the prophesy. As we do, we also gain more of an understanding of who and what Carrick is, and we watch the attraction between Finley and Carrick grow. We also learn about Dark Fae Fallon, the dark being that is now Finley’s sister, and how she came into existence. And like the evil author that she is, Sawyer Bennett once again leaves the reader on a cliff hanger to wait until the next installment.

I am not typically a reader of paranormal stories. However, this series is gripping in such an interesting way. It is fantastic in its scope, stretching to new worlds and realms. But what really has me hooked is Finley and Carrick themselves. Both are reluctant heroes. Finley, who just wants to go back to her old life and pretend that none of these changes ever happened. Who just wants to run her coffee shop and not have to worry about the new world of fairies and demons she has entered. But she knows she has a role to play and she rises to the occasion, whip in hand, ready to save the world. Carrick is the opposite of Finley. He is weary and jaded and ready to play his part, simply to do the gods’ bidding and gain his reward. He just never expected the attraction he feels to the woman fighting along-side him, and the complications that such an attachment presents.

Review copy provided for a voluntary review.
Profile Image for Rebecca Elizabeth.
376 reviews40 followers
Read
April 12, 2021
DNF I’m throwing in the towel with this series. I have tried to get and stay invested but things are moving so slowly storyline wise. I get it but at the same time I feel like it’s just a little too slow.
Profile Image for Cathy Geha.
3,555 reviews62 followers
March 26, 2021
A Discovery of Secrets and Fate by Sawyer Bennett
Chronicles of the Stone Veil #2

This is definitely a series one needs to read in order. In book one, The Revelation of Light and Dark, we met Finley, Carrick, and the main players of the series. On Finley’s 28th birthday, she and Fallon (her twin) had a big party that ended up with a BIG surprise that leaves the reader wondering, “What next?” In this book we pick up with Finley and she is in denial, needs a break, and is unwilling to take on the “prophecy” she is to deal with at some point in the future. She and Carrick have been told they will be instrumental in some way regarding this prophecy that nobody seems to know the details of. The story includes love, death, friends, work, training, learning, searching, new creatures, new skills and paranormal happenings and a finale that left me wanting more.

What I liked:
* Finley: strong, independent, good friend, skilled, businesswoman, lethal, overconfident at times, willing to learn from mistakes, intriguing.
* Carrick: old soul, strong, lethal, focused on his goal, confident, tired, unwilling to take on anything new beyond the prophecy, intriguing
* The dynamics between Finley and Carrick – I am expecting something big…eventually
* Maddox and Lucien: brothers of Carrick and though there is not much mention of them I am intrigued by them.
* Zaid: a curmudgeonly but giving daemon, always ready with what is needed, good to have on your side.
* Titus: 129-year-old annihilator, trains Finley, strong, lethal, a good friend, good natured – I like him.
* That two of Finley’s roommates finally realized they like one another
* The visit to Fae and some of the people met there
* That there is another book to look forward to because…there is definitely a cliffhanger at the end of this one!

What I didn’t like:
* The incubus – both of them – don’t think I would want to run into one.
* DFF – the acronym for a person that is evil through and through
* The death of a person that did not deserve to die
* Having to wait for the next book in the series.

Did I enjoy this book? Yes
Would I read more in the series? Definitely!

Thank you to the author and InkSlinger PR for the ARC – This is my honest review.

5 Stars
Profile Image for Sofia Lazaridou.
2,734 reviews136 followers
March 8, 2021
A Discovery of Secrets and Fate is the second book in the Chronicles of the Stone Veil series by Sawyer Bennett. The book is not a stand-alone so I'd suggest reading the first book before picking up this one. I didn't and read ADOSAF without having read the other book and for a couple of chapters, I was lost. It wasn't very difficult to understand what was happening and after a while, I was reading the book as if I had. The book ends with a cliffhanger, but considering that we know that 3 more books are coming, I am not worried about what is going to happen next. Just curious as to how the story will go on after that.

The story is a little slow and for a large percentage of the book, we only got small pieces of progress here and there. Speaking of progress, there is some in the romance department too. At least that's where I hope Finley and Carrick's relationship is headed. Finley spends a lot of time doubting Carrick and I was wondering if this was going to continue in the third book. The last 30% of the book is where the story speeds up and where the setup for the upcoming book is happening. If I had any doubts as to whether I was going to read the third book, they were erased. We were introduced to new characters, some of them were very exciting, and I am hoping to see them again. The secondary characters have also a lot of potential and I would love to see more of them.

The one flaw of the book is the heroine. She is not a bad character, but there is something about her that doesn't click for me. I am not 100% sold on her. Maybe the problem is that she is a typical YA paranormal heroine despite the fact that she is 10 years older at 28. One of the things I am hoping to see in book 3 is her learning to actually use whatever powers she has and also lean on her backup because clearly her doing whatever she wants is not working very well. I get that she is thrown into a weird situation, but one would think that she was going to ask for help or use her brain in a very certain situation instead of trying to do everything on her own.

Overall, I can say that I have positive feelings about the book and I would recommend it, advising you to read The Revelation of Light and Dark first.
Profile Image for Bookgasms Book Blog.
2,717 reviews1,267 followers
March 2, 2021
Well, well, well . . . things are getting quite a bit more heated in the second book of the Chronicles of the Stone Veil and I like it! A lot . . .

A Discovery of Secrets and Fate picks right up just where The Revelation of Light and Dark ended and takes off running.

In A Discovery of Secrets and Fate, we learn quite a bit more about Carrick. And a bit more about Finley’s abilities. And, whoa, do we learn a whole lot about what’s happened to Finley’s sister.

But the best part is the sizzle and simmer of the romance developing between Finley and Carrick. It’s just beginning to spark and neither one is quite ready to act upon it. Especially since there’s still much to learn about the prophesy and Finley’s role.

But I am anxious for more. Anxious to see how things play out. And can’t wait to read The Evolution of Fae and Gods. ~ Missy, 4 stars
Profile Image for JC.
34 reviews4 followers
March 5, 2021
After the slow first book, I thought the pace would have picked up in this one. NOPE.

Instead, it was somehow even more terrible.

Finley is one of the most stupid, gullible and annoyingly stubborn characters I've had the misfortune of reading. She never learns her lesson and somehow gets more ridiculous.🙄
Profile Image for Soly's Books.
282 reviews5 followers
May 8, 2022
J'ai découvert la série fantasy "Chroniques du voile" de Sawyer Benett et si vous aimez ce genre littéraire, foncez car c'est super bien fait et si aujourd'hui, je vais vous parler du tome 2 "Secrets et destinée : La découverte", sachez que les 5 premiers tomes qui constituent un ARC ou un tout sont traduits depuis le 11 avril et même si je les lis un par un dans le cadre des blogs tours parce que j'ai beaucoup de choses à lire et à faire, vous pouvez, vous les enchaîner.

Attention, si vous n'avez pas lu le tome 1, sachez qu'il reprend là où l'on s'en était arrêté et qu'ils se suivent (ils ne sont pas indépendants) donc, si vous lisez cette chronique, sans avoir lu le premier, il y a un risque de spoilers. Toutefois, elle est sur le blog
Mon avis : Si le premier tome posait les bases de la série, le 2 lance davantage l'intrigue et l'action : il y a plus de révélations même si nous ne savons pas tout, loin de là. En revanche, nos personnages principaux se dévoilent davantage et l'on en apprend encore sur eux. Attention, comme le tome 2 reprend là où se terminait le 1, je vous l'ai dit, il y a un risque de spoilers dans cette chronique donc... dernière chance ^^

A la fin du 1, notre héroïne Finley qui a vu sa soeur se transformer en fae de l'ombre et devenir ainsi son ennemie jurée : pour la jeune femme qui n'avait plus qu'elle comme famille - même si elles n'étaient pas spécialement proches- c'est l'horreur absolue : si bien qu'elle, qui avait appris qu'elle était au coeur d'une prophétie qui devait sauver le monde, voit son dernier maillon qui la retenait à sa vie, s'effondrer sous ses yeux. Vous comprendrez aisément qu'elle n'ait plus envie de participer à ce jeu initié par des dieux qui s'amusent avec les Hommes : elle refuse donc de "jouer" et part se cacher, notamment de Carrick, cet "homme" qui est aussi son associé et qui possède de nombreux pouvoirs sans qu'elle sache ce qu'il est vraiment : peut-elle lui faire réellement confiance? Nous, nous savons pourquoi Carrick a besoin d'elle et qu'elle accomplisse son destin mais ce n'est pas pour autant qu'il n'en demeure pas moins complexe : en effet, il alterne le chaud et le froid avec elle, la secouant pour l'inciter à s'endurcir, voire la rejetant et pourtant, il montre de la jalousie, devient impitoyable si on la menace et l'on devine déjà qu'il est plus que troublé par cette humaine dotée de pouvoirs que lui-même ne comprend pas. Or, il semble qu'il ait vécu des traumatismes qui font qu'il aspire à une autre destinée, lui aussi. Bref, Carrick est toujours aussi intéressant car il est ambigu et comme Finley, on ne sait pas vraiment sur quel pied on peut danser avec lui : c'est le genre de héros qui est à la frontière de l'anti-héros, un Lucifer (de la série tv) qui a ses bons et mauvais côtés qui font qu'on a envie de le connaître encore plus, tant il nous fascine.
Chronique complète sur le blog : https://solysbooks.blogspot.com/2022/...
Profile Image for Rebecca.
2,819 reviews141 followers
March 7, 2021
In the Revelation of Light and Dark, Finley’s life as she knew it was unequivocally rocked to its core, not just with the truth behind the veil and the fact that there are creatures among us, looking to destroy the world as it is, but also because accepting her new fate, her new way of life means putting her trust in a man that she barely knows and one who holds so many secrets of his own that it’s no telling how things will turn out.

In book two, A Discovery of Secrets and Fate, Sawyer Bennett offers some answers to the questions posed in book one, but it also introduces a bevy of new ones - ones that are a bit more difficult to understand completely because they revolve around ideas and a world that is very much foreign to what Finley knows and wrapping her head around all the new revelations and details in Faere will take time.

Amidst all the secrets, all the questions, all the unexpected insight, there’s something building between Finley and Carrick, but what that means for them, for the world, for the prophecy is still too soon to tell, which means that until more is revealed, more is understood, their hesitancy to take things further, to give in to the sizzling chemistry between them, but with the pull they have to one another, it’s only a matter of time before it will be impossible to deny.

Because readers are still pretty much at the onset of this series, there is still a lot to unravel, and I’m sure there are quite a few twists and turns that Bennett will take us on as we dive deeper into who and what both Finley and Carrick are and what the prophecy means, not only for them, but for the worlds as a whole.

4 Poison Apples
Profile Image for Linda (un)Conventional Bookworms.
2,704 reviews330 followers
March 14, 2021
With the intricate world building, dark and light fae, mystery, and a lot of doubt (mostly on Finley's part), this series is so good, and I just want more all the time!
This installment was slower paced than the first one, but it also contained a lot of new information, so that was all good to me.
Finley is in a difficult situation on more than one level, and I have no idea what will happen next - because this one ended on a huge cliffy!
Profile Image for Michelle .
1,990 reviews222 followers
March 8, 2021
*Note: This is the second book in a series that is best enjoyed if read in order. If you are new to the series, you can check out my review of book one HERE*

A Discovery of Secrets and Fate is the second book in the new adult/adult fantasy romance series, called Chronicles of the Stone Veil, by Sawyer Bennett. I absolutely loved book one- The Revelation of Light and Dark. It gripped me like a book has not done in a long time. While I didn't think it was possible, I loved book two even more than book 1! I am now obsessed with this series, and I am super happy to report that each of the books in this series are releasing really closely together, which is fantastic because I absolutely positively NEED book 3 in my hands right now! If you are a fan of adult fantasies featuring fae and demons, then this is a must read series for you. I think it might be my favorite Sawyer Bennett series yet!

A Discovery of Secrets and Fate picks up right after The Revelation of Light and Dark left off, on that heck of a cliffhanger. [spoiler]Finley just watched her twin sister Fallon turn into a super evil super bad dark fae right before her eyes.[/spoiler] Finley, Carrick and the gang all have to take this new information in and decide what their next steps will be. It is here that Finley finally finds out about the prophecy that Carrick learned in the first book. And we get to go on an adventure into Faere to try and devine more information about the prophecy. I loved this because it felt like the adventure was really starting. We have gotten a good foundation on the world, and the characters and now it is time to really build on that knowledge and watch everyone spur to action. I loved the plot of this book so much. Sawyer Bennett does a fantastic job weaving an emotional and high stakes story.

And can we just talk about the romantic/sexual tension between Finley and Carrick. Oh man, I loved it so much! Not a ton happens in terms of actual romance, but the slow burn is building and burning even hotter and I loved every second of it. Most of the chapters are from Finley's point of view, but every once in a while we will get a Carrick chapter. I would love to see even more chapters from his point of view in the next book because they are always so delicious and packed full of great insight moments into his head.  I cannot wait to see this romance ramp up in the next book.

A Discovery of Secrets and Fate also leaves us off on one heck of a cliff hanger, just like the first book! I  love learning more information about Finley and the prophecy and I can't wait for the next book.  This series is so addictive, and I am totally hoping for more hot glances and romance in the next book.  I love Finley and Garrick, and I am personally hoping that Pyke makes another appearance because I want to see some Jealously eek out of Garrick!

Bottom line: Fans of fantasies featuring light and dark fae set in our world will devour the Chronicles of the Stone Veil. I loved this book. It is one of my favorite books of 2021 so far, and I have a feeling this series is only going to get even better. It has favorite series written all over it for me. Bring on book three right now! I loved A Discovery of Secrets and Fate so much!
Profile Image for Follow the Reader.
1,187 reviews9 followers
May 9, 2022
Chronique de Diana :

Ce second tome ne fait que confirmer mes premières impressions, cette série est vraiment top et addictive. Chaque tome nous en dévoile un peu plus sur l’univers et les personnages.

Finley n’arrive pas à gérer ce qui lui arrive et notamment les événements de son anniversaire avec sa jumelle. Elle a besoin de prendre de l’espace et du temps mais ce qui est en train de se mettre en place ne va pas trop lui laisser le temps d’analyser, ni même de reprendre son souffle.

Elle finira par se dire que la seule solution c’est de jouer à ce jeu et de voir où la prophétie des dieux va l’emmener. Et c’est tout droit vers Faere qu’elle ira en compagnie de l’énigmatique Carrick.

Ce tome va nous permettre d’en apprendre plus sur Carrick principalement et ses motivations mais il permet aussi de découvrir une héroïne battante, je pense que l’auteure ne va pas nous épargner, dans la mesure ou elle ne le fait pas avec ses personnages. Et Finley va morfler avant de se dire que la meilleure défense c’est l’attaque.

C’est aussi le grand moment où l’on rencontre les faes et pas n’importe lesquelles, la famille royale. Croyez le ou pas mais ce n’est pas vraiment les plus accueillants pour notre Finley et là aussi on sent que la quête de pouvoir pourrait vraiment apporter des rebondissements dans la quête de notre duo.

Je passe un moment génial et je n’ai qu’une hâte, commencer le prochain récit. Les personnages se dévoilent au fur et à mesure, ainsi que les motivations et les enjeux de chacun. Les intrigues sont prenantes et honnêtement on ne voit rien venir.

Une sublime saga, si on aime la fantasy c’est vraiment hyper plaisant. La plume de l’auteure, la construction, je ne sais pas s’il y aura une vraie romance et même s’il n’y en a pas c’est juste génial.

Je recommande totalement
Profile Image for Three Chicks.
2,592 reviews416 followers
March 3, 2021
Review by Trinette Dungee

At the end of book one, Finley was celebrating her twenty-eight birthday with her twin sister Fallon when she witnesses something evil take over the body of her sister. In this second installment, there are more questions than answers and Finley will have to rely on Carrick Byrne more than she ever thought she would.

Along with Carrick, Zaid, and Titus Finley now has her friends to help her. A tragic event convinced her that she should open up to her friends and tell them the truth about what has been going on in her life. Although knowing her friends are now aware of what her life has become gives her some comfort, it also frightens her as this knowledge could very easily put them in harms way.

The questions that have surfaced after Fallon’s transformation lead Carrick and Finley to realm of Faere. Here, humans are not the preferred species, but it’s in Faere where she and Carrick hope to gain additional information that will help them understand more about the prophecy and Finley’s part in it by meeting with The Scryer. While in Faere, Finley gains a wealth of information about Carrick; she finally learns what Carrick actually is. What his connection is to The Gods, why he’s actually willing to help her when he clearly dislikes her. Finley meets The Royals, Queen Nimeyah, her daughter Deandra, and her son Pykalias. It is Nimeyah who must grant them permission to meet with the scryer.

Finley does get information from the scryer, but once again she has more questions than answers. She is still unsure of her part in the prophecy, she learns something disturbing about her birth and her sister, she learns that defeating the prophecy will come at a great price (what that price is, she doesn’t know), and she realizes that her feelings for Carrick are starting to shift and that his feelings for her are not what she thought they were.

During the first book and during most of this book, I was so engrossed in what was going on with Finley that the thought of a romance with Carrick didn’t seem like a priority. It wouldn’t have bothered me one bit if nothing ever happened between the two of them. I mean ultimately, I know that’s where things are going but it didn’t really matter. Until they reached Faere; for some reason Carrick didn’t actually become a real man to me until then. There were times when Finley described his physical appearance and of course I’m thinking “totally hot and sexy guy”, but totally hot and sexy for Finley didn’t happen until Faere; and it wasn’t just because Deandra was hot for him. I think it was because he never really displayed any sexual qualities until then. Anyway, one can only imagine when these two finally get together…..FIREWORKS!!!

Some things I can’t wait to get the answers to: Are Finley and her family really human? Her dad supposedly suffered from mental illness, the same mental illness everyone assumed Finley suffered from. What if her dad was just trying to protect her from the evils that lurked in the world? Finley and Fallon’s mom died in childbirth was this the act of The Gods? What is the significance of Finley and Fallon’s twenty-eighth birthday? Everything changed on that particular birthday. Why is Finley's POV told in first person, but Carrick's is told in third person. And how do Eliana and Ronan (from book 0.5 The Clash of Yesterday), play into this whole scenario? So, so many questions!!

I am still in awe at how the series is sucking me in! Paranormal/Supernatural has never been my thing but this series right now is giving me life.
Profile Image for Kay Daniels (Kay Daniels Romance).
1,446 reviews41 followers
February 26, 2021
Return to a world where magic and unbelievable is real, and a foretold prophecy may mean the end of the world.

We left Finley and Carrick upon the discovery of some horrific news at the end of the first book. I was really excited to jump into the second chapter of this brand new world, but honestly the first half of the book was a little slow. However, I didn't give up because I love the entire premise of this entire series and the second half is where all of the action really lied where it ends on another cliffy and lots of tension.

While the first half of this book was a bit drawn out, the second half made it worth reading.

Here's why:

✔A new world is introduced and we get to visit it!
✔New characters that really spark the storyline!
✔Carrick and Finley's chemistry is completely reignited and lit!
✔The plotline moves quickly until I'm left wanting more!

Left hanging now with book 3 looming in the wings, I'm salivating for more information after learning a ton in the second half of this book. What felt like dragging feet in the beginning, with a rehashing and zero spark between Carrick and Finley, I wondered where we were going for five books if this was going to involve any relationship at all, finally-once I hit the juicy bits and reached the end, I'm hungry all over again and ready to jump into the next book.

While I feel that Sawyer could have chopped this entire series down without making a five book series, I also don't like telling authors how to do their jobs, especially since we are nowhere close to the end of this journey yet, so I'll try my best to be patient while I wait for all of the information to come and piece it out while it unfolds.

Finley still has a long way to go in discovering who she really is, she's just discovering her powers and to what extent those powers can really do. She's also just beginning to trust the circle of people around her and what it means to open that trust. It could help or hurt those that she lets in, and that is what makes this book exciting as each new person comes closer, their life it truly in danger.

I'm looking forward to where the journey heads in the next book, a true breaking point for all players involved, or a fork in the road where difficult choices have to be made. My mind is awhirl with options and where this journey will head, but no matter what, that the ball is rolling and I hope Sawyer keeps the momentum going.
Profile Image for WycEd Reader.
2,065 reviews30 followers
March 5, 2021

Check out our full post for A DISCOVERY OF SECRETS AND FATE on Wicked Reads.

Reviews by the Wicked Reads Review Team

Avid Reader – ☆☆☆☆☆
M/F Paranormal

You have to read book one in the series to understand what’s happening. And while book one wasn’t my favorite, I am SO glad that I read book two.

Finley and Carrick now have to figure out how to solve their questions from book one. Finley will face unrelenting challenges and Carrick will show more of himself.

I am so happy that in book two, you get to travel to another realm and see how others live.

Finley continues on her path, still blind as to what is expected of her, but not so blind as to want to run away again.

This has a much faster pace than book one and I couldn’t put it down. When I got to the end, I wanted to both curse and cheer for Bennett. You won’t be disappointed, and I hope that book three is just as exciting as book two.

Reviewers received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

Wicked Reads Review Team
Profile Image for Caroline F.
2,064 reviews29 followers
March 4, 2021
O.M.GEEEE! Things are ramping up as secrets are revealed about Carrick, Finley's own history, her growing powers, as well as her role in the fate of the world.

”There’s a prophecy of doom, and you’re an integral part in thwarting it.”

As Finley struggles with the news that she has a pivotal role to play in the future of the world, she continues to hone her fighting skills. She also struggles with the secrets that she’s keeping from her best friends. When she gets a wake-up call that nothing in her life is anything close to ‘normal’ anymore, she knows that she has to step up. Giving her trust fully to the taciturn Carrick is another matter altogether but, as she discovers new worlds and explores the underbelly of the human world, she comes to realise that he is her best chance of survival. Even if she has to deal with her annoying attraction to him.

”My heart skitters as a strange barrage of conflicting emotions hit me. Fear twists my gut even as longing whispers through me.”

I’ve got to admit that the slow-burn chemistry between Carrick and Finley keeps me just an enthralled as the storyline. Their relationship is still full of distrust but there's no denying the attraction between them. The storyline itself has three more books in which to play itself out and I’m just so impatient to get my hands on them! The author paints an evocative and colourful illustration of the world of Faere and the Fae who inhabit it. I was completely caught up in the detailed descriptions of everything. There's still so much mystery surrounding the prophecy and the roles people will play in it’s fulfilment. I love the side characters as Carrick and Finley build their team through necessity, as well as for support. Gaaah! I really need the next book right now!

Blog: https://readingwillingable.blogspot.c...

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/review/R32LPSJ...
Profile Image for Erin Lewis.
3,990 reviews118 followers
March 4, 2021
4 Star review of A Discovery of Secrets & Fate (Chronicles of the Stone Veil #2) by Sawyer Bennett

Firstly if you have not read The Revelation of Light and Dark, then you need to stop and do so as this series needs to be read in order. If you are a fan of fantasy or paranormal romances this is for you.
As with the first book I was a little surprised at how much I enjoyed this story. Continuing the journey that Finley Porter and Carrick Byrne have embarked on. Finley is still struggling to come to terms with what she has learnt about herself and the prophecy so far.

As they embark on a trip to Faere, more information and answers to Finley’s questions will be revealed. As I expected there is more to Carrick that we initially learnt and in this book, we do get to find out more about him. The friction that existed between them comes is still simmering and their relationship is certainty rocky which adds an additional layer to the story as neither of them are prepared to back down.

There is definitely chemistry between them but the question remains should they act on it? The more Finley learns, the more there is to discover. There are so many twists, turns and secrets that I was on the edge of my seat reading. These two will need to trust one another if they are to have a chance at succeeding.

This book ends in a cliff hanger and I cannot wait for the next book The Evolution of Fae and Gods to see what happens next in this intriguing series.
Profile Image for Lita Thomas.
1,359 reviews18 followers
March 1, 2021
A Discovery of a Secrets and Fate (Chronicles of The Stone Veil # 2) by Sawyer Bennett. The story picks up with Finley being a ball of confusion and her emotions are all over the place. She doesn't know how she feels about everything that is going on in her life as well as what her place is in regards to the prophecy. I struggled with this story in book 1 but now I can see that that book was laying the groundwork for the story. So glad I stayed with it. This book was so good. As Finley is trying to put everything behind her and has decided to just move on a sudden death throws her for a loop. Now she has made her decision as it relates to the prophecy. Going back to Carrick has put them on a trip to Faere where so much was revealed and Finley now has more answers. I loved the trip to Faere. Because I am a visual reader, I was taken on a trip to a magical land right along with Finley. During this trip we learn more about Carrick which I didn't see coming. Once back Carrick and Finley's relationship changes in more ways than one. I am so looking forward to where their relationship will go. The hot than cold and the slow burn between them has me wanting more of them. When Finley gets a call and makes the decision to go out on her own, her choices may have dire consequences. Just so you know this story ends on a cliffhanger that had me chewing my finger nails down to the nub. I am truly excited about the next book. Wasn't sure I was going to enjoy this series but this book has me all in hook line and sinker. A strong 4 star read for me.
February 20, 2021
Yall thought that first cliffhanger was crazy HAH!

My goodness this is not where Finley saw or wanted her life to go. Carrick is not helping matters continuing to be so secretive but also looking like a damn snack--the tension!

After the chaos of the last ending Finley finds herself wanting out of this madness that her life has turned into being able to see beyond the veil. This leads unfortunately to her and her friends being in danger. Finely is going to suffer heart ache and decide to go all in as her secrets need to be shared.

She and Carrick end up being able to travel into the Faere to look for more answers as to what hangs in the balance and what part Finley will play. Surprise we meet more folks who want Finely dead. I was totally not prepared for the ending here as I was still processes other news and was caught as surprised as Finley and now I need the next book .
Profile Image for Elizabeth Clinton.
716 reviews26 followers
February 20, 2021
Once again Sawyer Bennett has you wanting more. A Discovery Of Secrets & Fate has us learning more about what Finley is about to endure and hoping that Carrick is the man she can trust to lead her to the answers she needs.
There is so much we need to learn but what we know is that Finley is about to become entrenched in a world that will have her having more questions then answers, but watching it all unfold will have you on the edge of your seat. With each book in this amazing world you can’t help wanting more of Finley & Carrick.
Profile Image for Romance Schmomance (Malia) .
1,187 reviews98 followers
July 29, 2021
This series is just getting better and better. The story is unfolding a bit more, questions are being answered and tension is rising between Finley and Carrick...to the point where I’m frustrated.

There’s a little truth bomb that I refuse to accept ... bahhhh, I really need that next book.

Can’t wait to see what’s to come!

Full review to come!
Profile Image for Piseog.
1,402 reviews7 followers
May 9, 2021
You can forgive the first book in a series of a lot of things, because you are getting to know the world and the characters, and it's okay of you don't understand or know everything. The promise of what's to come can be exciting. Well, unfortunately the second book in this series didn't have all that to help and I was just disappointed with it. The world-building is a bit convoluted. We have fae, fallen angels and demons and then we have gods of fate and humanity. Just pick one. It was confusing that we have the biblical God mentioned, along with heaven and hell basically; but then we also have 5 gods of different things that were around since the beginning of time, and dress like normal people. No effort was made to connect these two things. Then we have these 5 gods who made this vague prophecy, but are asking our characters to thwart the prophecy. But they're the ones that made it! So all that messiness annoyed me. The explanation of what happened to Finley's sister also didn't negate how stupid it all appeared .

What I didn't like about this book and the series so far, is that the author chose all the most cliche and boring story ideas. The protagonist is the most important person in a book, and Finely is just so blah. She's like a million other MCs I've read and I don't like her. What's worse is that I don't care about her, so by extension I don't really care about anything that happens in the book. Like a cliche urban fantasy MC, she has a bit of snark, is badass when it's convenient to the plot, refuses protection even when needed, has useless friends to worry about and is constantly asking questions. Why can't she just wait for a person to finish explaining something before she jumps in with her predictable questions? I like a smart character, and sometimes thinking before acting or speaking is a smart thing. Unfortunately Finely does not come across as intelligent, and she never learns from her stupid mistakes.

There is so much repetition in these books, all within a few pages. I remember in book 1 Finely repeated that she was almost 28 three times in the one chapter. That type of writing is still around in this book. She also repeats everything she learns from one character to other characters all the time.

So why did I give this more 3 stars? I liked the beginning, I like Carrick and Zaid. The best thing about the book is learning what Carrick's ascension is and his age. That will be an interesting plot point to watch. I hope things get better, but if I don't like the MC, that will be nearly impossible.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 175 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.