Start by marking “Struggling With the Current (The Telverin Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Struggling With the Current (The Telverin Trilogy, #1)

Struggling With the Current

(The Telverin Trilogy #1)

Princess Eya's life changes forever with the discovery of the Statue of the Goddess Winds. The long-overlooked kingdom of Hicares finds itself in a war it isn't prepared for against the far more powerful empire of Pescel. To survive, Eya must flee her home, losing everything and everyone she loves in the process.

Yet, by leaving behind all she's ever known, she learns that
Published November 30th 2020 by Roaring Tulips, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Struggling With the Current, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Struggling With the Current

Start your review of Struggling With the Current (The Telverin Trilogy, #1)
A.P. Miller
May 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure: I did not go into reading this book as the biggest fan of the fantasy genre. I picked up my copy because the author's social media profile was engaging, she was very confident about her work, and her blog was really interesting. That being said, it was a purchase I am glad I made!

I've always been someone who won't buy into a series, or trilogy until many volumes are out or the entire series is available. I don't want to get stuck wanting more without recourse. Struggling with th
Ana Elena
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Struggling With the Current" by A. R. K. Horton is one of those books I would recommend to anyone in an instant!
The author shows an astonishing accuracy and ingenuity through the extraordinary way in which the narrative seems to come to life right in front of the readers' eyes. Therefore, this being the remarkable skill which keeps the readers captivated with the story's exciting universe right from the beginning and till the very end.
Kim Radatz
Dec 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fantasy war story that takes place between several countries in the world of Telverin, and Struggling With the Current, the first book in this trilogy was a wonderful way to start this story off.

Eya’s story certainly has a coming-of-age aspect to it, but seeing Eya’s character evolve as she becomes aware of her magical abilities seems to be the core focus of her character. She is a strong female protagonist that embodies so many different emotions but always perseveres. I felt connected to Eya
Amy Campbell
Dec 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'd been looking forward to this book's release for a while, so I was delighted to start as soon as it arrived! Struggling with the Current follows Princess Eya as she is forced to flee everything she holds dear. She makes new friends and allies along the way and learns more about herself. So many memorable characters in this book that I hope either get spin-offs or we see more of. Clefa, Daijah (swoon!), Immelda (I LOVE HER SO MUCH), Peg, Sember (dude creeped me out a little but I still liked h ...more
T. Ashley
Dec 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is THE book of the year

And the book I never thought I needed to read. The way ARK built this world made it easy to catapult myself deep into Telverin. The characters, the imagery.. for this to be her first novel just puts me in awe. I am officially a fan. I cannot wait for the next book.

There is everything you need in this book: action, mystery, angst and a little bit of loving. Oh, and plenty of book boyfriends to choose from. Man, if you are looking for something to read, please pick thi
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Women Empowerment

I fell in love with this book from the very first chapter. I often felt as if I was right there with the characters. I love the female empowerment and strong women. I can't wait to see what happens in book two. Very well written and unique names for the characters.
Colleen Baxter
Dec 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Delightfully engrossing. Eya's journey of self discovery is set in a fantastic world lovingly described. ...more
Jamie St Cyr
Dec 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing

Loved loved loved this read and can’t wait for the others to follow. Great story, I’ve always been partial to reading stories about gods. I loved that you can’t predict what is going to happen, you just want to keep reading.
A.R.K. Horton
Oct 15, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Struggling With the Current

So excited for this book to come out!

Pre-order the ebook on Amazon and other online retailers!
Chapel Orahamm
May 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
It reads like a cleanly thought out young adult fantasy story that throws in a few adult themes. The elements are all there where situations step into that preposterous category without turning full on acid trip Alice in Wonderland. There are elements of love, friendship, and acceptance of others and the necessity of the chosen one arc.

It is often advertised as the first book in a feminist trilogy. The theme hangs true for that. I found the level of presentation for the sheer amount of trauma th
Kristin
May 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
Struggling With the Current is a fun introduction to what will be a trilogy. I enjoyed the characters, even if I didn't feel like I got to spend enough time with them. The plot was interesting and intriguing, and I always wanted to know what poor Eya was going to step in next.

The biggest detractor of this book in my opinion was the pacing. Some parts of the story felt rushed, and it could have benefited from being a bit longer. That being said, however, I enjoyed the book, and think it would be
Jason Harrington
Jul 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A well written fantasy!

The first point I want to get out of the way is that this is not my normal vein of fantasy. There were reccomendations to read it, though; and I took it upon myself to scrutinize this from a more generalized fantasy perspective. With that out of the way, this is a very well done fantasy story. Princess Eya is believable, and her efforts to adapt to a cruel world is a solid path of growth. With her home kingdom ripped away, and being forced to conceal herself, we see a lot
Sloane McClain
Apr 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful book. The characters are developed so that the reader wishes to be able to meet some of them--while totally avoiding others. The world is described in such vivid detail that it's almost like reading an entertaining world history.

Eya is thrown out of her comfortable, privileged life into a world she never imagined. Unlike many would do, she doesn't just sit and cry; no, she learns and grows. Her development into a woman to be reckoned with is another part of what makes this a
W.A. Stanley
Mar 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
This novel tells the story of Eya, a princess from the small country of Hicares. Upon escaping her home during a war against Pescel.
In her debut novel, author A.R.K. Horton tells a tightly interwoven tale that introduces a disparate cast of characters that just so happen to be scattered across the world. It introduces its elements slowly, building mystery as it continues.
With a great cast of characters interspersed throughout the story, this novel is well worth a read.
E.G. Deaile
Apr 15, 2021 rated it liked it
Touching start to Eya’s journey through tragedy and heartache, finding her strength, and maybe, just maybe, her love.
Amanda
Jessica
Jan 23, 2021

• Layla
  • The Girl in the Mirror
  • The Villain (Boston Belles, #2)
  • The Wife Upstairs
  • How the King of Elfhame Learned to Hate Stories (The Folk of the Air, #3.5)
  • Heart Bones
  • Magical Midlife Madness (Leveling Up #1)
  • Pandora's Pleasure
  • Magical Midlife Love (Leveling Up, #4)
  • Pent up
  • Hidden Magic: The Eldritch of Hallows
  • Stray Witch (The Vampires of Emberbury #1)
  • Instant Karma
  • The Secret at Sunset Hill: A Katie Porter Mystery
  • Adam's Witness (Adam and Grace, #1)
  • The Lost Sacrifice (The Sacrifice Trilogy #2)
  • The Little Sacrifice (The Sacrifice Trilogy #3)
A.R.K. Horton is a small woman made of round shapes and long sighs. Children and animals surround her in her Florida home. Her vice is hoarding responsibilities, and she has the tired eyes to prove it. They still have a sparkle, though, seeing the next project ahead.

She began writing as a child when she became obsessed with learning about the most obscure fairytales, folktales, and myths. Now, sh

The Telverin Trilogy (3 books)
  • Flirting With the Tempest (The Telverin Trilogy Book 2)
  • Racing With the Serpent (The Telverin Trilogy, #3)