Start by marking “Best Laid Plans (Garnet Run, #2)” as Want to Read:
Best Laid Plans (Garnet Run, #2)

Best Laid Plans

(Garnet Run #2)

A man who’s been moving his whole life finally finds a reason to stay put.

Charlie Matheson has spent his life taking care of things. When his parents died two days before his eighteenth birthday, he took care of his younger brother, even though that meant putting his own dreams on hold. He took care of his father’s hardware store, building it into something known several t
Published February 23rd 2021 by Carina Adores

To ask other readers questions about Best Laid Plans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Best Laid Plans

Start your review of Best Laid Plans (Garnet Run, #2)
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
When Charlie Matheson sees something broken, his first instinct is to fix it. A broken machine, run down house, strange new man. Charlie can't help himself. It's all he's done since the age of eighteen when he set aside his own dreams to take on the role of "parent" to his younger brother Jack after the death of their parents. Now several years later, he lives his life on auto-pilot, running his hardware store, caring for customers and going home alone to his remodeled house and cat.

Rye Janssen
Cadiva
Jan 13, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This second entry in Roan's Garnet Run series gives us Charlie's story and oh, how my heart hurt for him so many times.

Unlike his brother Jack, who we got to see fall in love with Simon in Better Than People Charlie hasn't really ever had a chance at relationships, other than a brief encounter shortly before their parents were killed just before his 18th birthday.

So, seeing how he struggles when he finds himself attracted to Rye and not knowing what to do about it was both heart-breaking and upl
h o l l i s
I definitely went into this read with slightly lower expectations than I did going into book one; and while this isn't going to be a favourite it definitely worked better for me. Mostly because of Charlie.

Characters (people) like Charlie just break my heart. And I thought Parrish did such a good job of making him big, tough, and caring but also giving him complex feelings and layers and a good chunk of angst. He felt so beautifully dimensional and the few parts that got me close to choking up we
Em
I can't even sugar coat this. Underdeveloped primary characters, insta-love, and very little substance to the story...It's difficult to know where to jump in and review this one!

After fleeing his homophobic father's house at 16, Rye spent the past few years (5ish?) flitting between shared apartments and roommates in Seattle. When he finds himself out of work (doing something? - the author never actually tells us!), evicted - again, and down to his last thousand dollars, salvation arrives in the
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
Untitled design-High-Quality
My Review
This is the second book in the series this time focusing on Jacks brother who we met previously in book one Charlie and Though connected it can definitely be read as a stand-alone no issue.

Essentially this is a sweet warm heartfelt
M/M romance that relies on its pure sentiment and emotional connection to sell it and it definitely works.
It’s not a complicated or angsty story it’s the tale of two very opposite individuals connecting and building a bond that strengthens them both.

Charlie is just aw
Anniek
I already loved the first installment in this series, Better Than People, but with this sequel the series is really cementing itself as one of my favourite romance series by one of my favourite romance authors.

This book just has everything I could ever want from a romance: a fun premisse, banter, yearning, domestic fluff, a hint of angst, a lot of emotional growth. CATS. Blend it all together and you get a perfect romance if you're looking for comfort.
Carole Bell
Nov 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deliciously soft and angsty romance about two very different but similarly broken men finding strength in love. I love both mcs. Their story is heartrending, swooningly romantic, and incredibly well-told.
Ay
Jan 24, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cozy cozy cozy! And caaaaaaats! Aaaaall the caaaaaats!

I have loved some Roan Parrish books in the past, been angry at one or two, and DNF’d some. When I requested this one, I knew nothing about it. Before reading it, I did not read the blurb. I have not read book 1. As usual, I did not notice the title. All of this was to the book’s advantage, as I went into the book with few expectations. These were all around Parrish as a writer. I expected the writing to be skilled and fluent, but knew there
lauraღ
Charlie had made himself a ghost house, and he wanted the most colorful, alive person he’d ever met to make a home with him there.

3.5 stars. Objectively a really sweet and well-written romance. I'm still somehow feeling slightly disappointed, because I expected and wanted to love it more. I did like it, no doubt about it! But I wanted to like it more.

This is the second book in a series, though it can be read as a standalone. I bought and read the first book (Better Than People) in preparatio
.Lili.
I wanted to love Best Laid Plans by Roan Parrish, but, in the end, I found it just ok.

I loved the characters.

Their history.

Setting.

Kitties.

It had all the ingredients for a great story, but it was so damn sloooow. I hate to say it, but it was boring.

2.75 stars rounded up to 3 Stars because I did love the characters- just not the execution. I think book one was better.
Lily
It’s not essential to have read book 1 in the Garnet Run series, but some of the characters and places also feature in this story. Reading Better Than People will provide background information on Charlie and the general setting for the series. You’ll be glad you’re getting Charlie’s story this time around as he was a supportive brother to Jack in book 1. We get to see Jack and Simon again in several scenes and see that they're still together and happy.

So… Charlie and Rye… In a way, Charlie is a
Amanda
Feb 15, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[I received a digital arc for an honest review]

Best Laid Plans
is the second LGBTQ+ adult contemporary romance book in the Garnet Run series by Roan Parrish. While this can definitely be read as a stand alone it features the couple from the first book, and it would make the reading experience even better if you've read that one.

"F*ckin' savior complex. Told me." But his voice was without heat. He just sounded tired.
"Is that the same or different than a hero complex, because I think that's what y
Susan
Jan 23, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best Laid Plans is a warm blanket of a novel, complete with cats, that will soothe your early 2021 anxieties. Along with a lot of readers of Better Than People, I was intrigued by Charlie, the older brother of People's MC Jack, who had been forced to both take over the family business and serve as surrogate parent to Jack when their parents died tragically and suddenly. In the ensuing years Charlie's caregiving has become a way of life, and he has learned not to even think about his own needs.

I
Caz
Not sure of the grade yet. Review to follow at AAR
Carol (bookish_notes)
Charlie finally got his own book and he is as precious and darling as I expected him to be!! I say finally like I’ve been waiting a very, very long time for his story, and not like he was the natural sequel protagonist after reading Better Than People four months ago, but 2020 has been a year where time has no meaning. Charlie is the older brother to Jack, the MC in book one, and has been looking after Jack for many years. Charlie has never had time for anyone else in his life, and when a new gu ...more
Jonetta
Charlie Matheson runs a hardware store in Garnet Run, Wyoming where he’s lived all of his life. He took it over when his parents died, right before he turned eighteen and became responsible for raising his younger brother. He put his dreams aside while he focused on Jack’s well being and education. Now that Jack is in a committed relationship and has a successful career, Charlie doesn’t see much beyond the one he has, which he shares with Jane, his Main coon cat. Then Rye Janssen walks into his ...more
Jackie
Feb 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt, netgalley, romance
Note: I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in return for an honest review.

Charlie Matheson has spent most of his life caring for other people, and ignoring his own needs. He barely knows what he wants for himself, but when Rye Janssen comes to Garnet Run after inheriting a ramshackle house from his grandfather, Charlie wants. At first all he wants is to help Rye, since the other man clearly has no idea what he’s doing when it comes to construction and demo-ing his late grandfather’s hou
Ella
Jan 27, 2021 rated it really liked it
After reading the first book Better than People with Jack and Simon I was excited to see a book centred on Jack's brother Charlie. I loved Charlie’s story and the depiction of his mental health issues. His constant drive to help other often at his expense after having to raise his brother and take care of his father’s failing business when his parents died when he was only 18, was heart-breaking to read. This was most moving for me it’s revealed that Charlie deliberately decorated his house in n ...more
suebee ~Always Reading~

I could not wait to read this book since the first book in the series, Better Than People, was my top read last year. This book is about Charlie, who featured in the first book, and Rye, a new character who moves to Garnet Run from Seattle. Like the first book, this book features animals predominantly, mainly cats. I have 2 cats and I love cats so I was enamored with both Marmot & Jane in this book.

Unfortunately this wasn’t as enjoyable as I hoped it would be. I loved Charlie, he is a
iam
Jan 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pansexual, arc, lgbtqia
I absolutely loved this sweet romance featuring DIY, cats and owning your level of experience.

Content warnings include: intrusive thoughts, sex on-page, spanking, mentions of: homophobia, racism, unsupportive and abusive parents, eviction, death of family member, injury.

Best Laid Plans is a lovely romance following Rye, who is out of luck and more than happy to move halfway across the country with his cat to move into the house he just inherited from a grandfather he never met, and Charlie, lon
Charlotte
Jan 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Rye Janssen hasn't had a "home" in a very long time…. And it's been a while since he's even shared one. When he inherits a home from his grandfather it's all a big surprise and he decides it's time to pack up his cat, Marmot and move.

What Rye hasn't counted on is that the house is an absolute mess. He basically has to gut it and start over. The thing is, Rye doesn't know anything about working on a house. He starts watching YouTube tutorials and visiting the hardware store.

Charlie owns the hardw
Emmalita
There are three thing I know about a Roan Parrish book before I open it.

It will be queerly m/m.
It will be rich in emotion.
The two main characters will be messes who make each other better people.
My only consistent critique of her work is that I wish her characters went to therapy more often. In real life, I would insist on it, but in fiction I can sink into their emotional lives and become mushy with them.

Rye Jannsen is at the end of his rope. He has been unemployed and couch surfing in Seattle
Amy Dufera - Amy's MM Romance Reviews
4.5 Stars

Best Laid Plans, the second book in the Garnet Run series, is a beautiful romance. This Roan Parrish book is easily read as a standalone.

Rye's lost and alone in the world. He's always been a drifter, too afraid to make roots. Inheriting his grandfather's home brings him to this small town. The result? He falls in love with both the town and a man.

Charlies owns the local hardware store. He's never had a chance to fully live. Spending his life raising his brother and growing up way too
Mariah
In 'Best Laid Plans' we come back to Garnet Run with Parrish's sophmore novel in the eponymus series.
I have to admit Charlie intrigued me greatly during 'Better Than People' and I was positively giddy to finally read his story. But also. Ouch.

Charlie was dealt bad hand after bad hand, very early in life. He found himself the sole breadwinner and parental figure to a teenager, while he was still one himself.

I was curious about the kind of pairing that would attract, and I was not disappointed by
Marlene
Feb 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally published at Reading Reality

The original phrase (in the original Scots) by the immortal Robbie Burns goes, “The best-laid schemes o’ mice an’ men gang aft agley.” But in contemporary English it’s usually paraphrased as “the best laid plans of mice and men often go astray”. Or something along those lines.

The point is pretty clear, whatever the language.

There are two kinds of plans going astray in this second book in the Garnet Run series, after last year’s terrific series opener Better
Barb ~rede-2-read~
I know Roan Parrish can craft words skillfully to create an amazing story. Yet each time I choose one of her titles, I’m surprised at the depth of my enjoyment, at the emotional engagement I feel with the characters, and at the powerful pull of a tale that becomes so much more than a mere book.

On the surface, Charlie Matheson is a successful business owner and a skilled carpenter. Charlie takes care of things, providing a home for himself and his brother when they were orphaned as teens, improv
Lauren loves llamas
Content warnings: (view spoiler)

I was intensely curious about Jack’s brother Charlie after reading Better Than People, so I was very pleased to see that this book would be about him. Alas, the animal content of this book isn’t quite as high as the previous one in the series – only two ca
Annie Maus
Feb 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want to discover the difference between good and great writing, Roan Parrish’s ‘Best Laid Plans’ will make the distinction clear. Here are two lost men who have never had the luxury to consider their futures. Within moments of my introduction to Rye and Charlie, I redid my entire schedule, so I could simply relish, uninterrupted, how Ms. Parrish would make them whole. Their kitties’ big personalities (kittenalities?) captured me as well.

First a warning about this standalone in the Gar
Dabney
Feb 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtqia
Rye's been living in dire straights since his latest eviction so when the universe drops a house into his lap, one inherited from a grandfather he never knew, Rye leaps at the chance for a fresh start, driving from Seattle, Washington to Garnet Run, Wyoming. Along for the ride is Rye's constant companion, his cat Marmot. But the promised house is more of a death trap than a dwelling, and Rye is once again in a bad spot, trying to DIY his new house into a livable place.

Charlie runs Matheson's Har
Dabney
Feb 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing

Charlie runs Matheson's Har
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Unforgotten (Forgiven, #2)
  • Cry Wolf (Big Bad Wolf, #5)
  • Teddy Spenser Isn't Looking for Love
  • This Is Not the End
  • Forgiven (Forgiven, #1)
  • Wonderstruck (Magic in Manhattan #3)
  • Feel the Fire (Hotshots #3)
  • Merry Measure
  • They Told Me I Was Everything (The First Quarto, #1)
  • Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (Big Bad Wolf, #4)
  • Piranesi
  • Common Goal (Game Changers, #4)
  • Learned Behaviors (Higher Education, #1)
  • Goal Lines & First Times (CU Hockey #3)
  • Roommaid
  • Holidays in Blue
  • Merry Cherry Christmas
  • Dawn's Light
Roan Parrish lives in Philadelphia, where she is gradually attempting to write love stories in every genre.

When not writing, she can usually be found cutting her friends’ hair, meandering through whatever city she’s in while listening to torch songs and melodic death metal, or cooking overly elaborate meals. She loves bonfires, winter beaches, minor chord harmonies, and self-tattooing. One time sh

Garnet Run (2 books)
  • Better Than People (Garnet Run, #1)