Start by marking “Our Woman in Moscow” as Want to Read:

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  16,520 ratings  ·  1,775 reviews
The New York Times bestselling author of Her Last Flight returns with a gripping and profoundly human story of Cold War espionage and family devotion.

Published June 1st 2021 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about Our Woman in Moscow, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Penny
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lisa Right?!!! He just dropped out of the book! This drove me nuts.

·  16,520 ratings  ·  1,775 reviews

Start your review of Our Woman in Moscow
Barbara
“Our Woman in Moscow” is a cold war thriller based loosely on the Cambridge Five, which was a ring of spies who passed information to Russia during and right after WWII.

The novel centers around twin sisters, Ruth, and Iris Macallister. Ruth runs a modeling agency while Iris fell in love with an American diplomat. Iris and her family go missing in 1948 with suspicions arising that Iris’s husband defected to Moscow. In 1952, Ruth receives an unexpected postcard from Iris, stating that she is expe
Natalie
Dec 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
How can I explain that I was so involved in this book that it was almost hypnotic? I love the books I’ve read by Beatriz Williams, every single book she has written. This novel doesn’t disappoint. Williams transports us back to 1952 and the Cold War.

Somehow, through all these books, there is a strand that ties the characters together. Usually it is the Schuyler family relationship, but here there are many sly winks to earlier novels (yes, the Greenwald and Marshall connections).

Iris and Ruth a
TXGAL1
May 24, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another finely crafted book of historical fiction by Williams!
Faith
Jul 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: overdrive, audio
In 1952, Iris and Ruth are non-identical twins who have been estranged for 12 years. Ruth runs a model agency in New York. Iris, her Communist-sympathizer husband Sasha and their children vanished in 1948 and it is suspected that they defected to Russia. Now an American counterintelligence agent has become very interested in tracking down Sasha and he asks Ruth for information about the possible whereabouts of her sister.

I enjoyed this book more than I expected since I have not liked this autho
Pam Jenoff
Apr 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book isn't out until June 1, but it is so incredible that I had to tell you about it now! In 1948, Iris Digby, a woman mysteriously disappears from London to Moscow with her American diplomat husband and two children. Four years later, Iris' estranged sister receives a postcard from her and heads to the Soviet Union under an assumed identity to try to extract Iris and her family from behind the Iron Curtain. Original and suspenseful, a sure add to your TBR pile! ...more
Taylor Reid
Jul 19, 2021 added it
Shelves: 2021
Four years after Iris and her family mysteriously disappeared from their London home, her twin sister Ruth receives a letter from her. Days later Ruth is traveling to Moscow with a risky plan to try and rescue the family from behind the Iron Curtain. I loved it.
Blaine DeSantis
May 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
If you have never read any of the books by Beatriz Williams you will wonder what took you so long, and if you are a longtime fan of the author you cannot wait to get your hands on her newest works. I must admit to be in the former category and have come way now wanting to go back and read her prior works.
This is a book that is based, in part, on the Cambridge Spy Ring that notoriously passed along secret information to the Soviet Union before many of those same people defected to the USSR. And
MicheleReader
Jun 10, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In 1952, twin sisters Iris Digby and Ruth Macallister have not spoken in 12 years. Ruth is working at a modeling agency in New York City. She is visited by Sumner Fox of the FBI who is asking about the whereabout of Iris and if she’s heard from her sister. Ruth finally admits that she has recently received correspondence from Iris, who is living in Moscow, indicating that she needs her help.

The story takes us back to 1940, when Iris meets and marries Sasha Digby, a U.S. diplomat with communist
cluedupreader
If you can't resist picking up this book because Beatriz Williams (!), then at least read the Author's Note in the back matter first. It explains the frazzled plot.

It helps additionally to brush up on the Cold War (to avoid a disruptive reading experience from "having" to google left and right), since it is assumed that we readers know the historical context. Instead, the novel contains some background on the arts, and is laden with superfluous details (I was surprised we aren't given the stair
Lorna
Our Woman in Moscow was a gripping and sweeping historical fiction novel of espionage, counterespionage, and intrigue during the time leading up to World War II and into the cold war with Russia by Beatriz Williams. It was loosely based on the Cambridge spy ring and in the words of the author:

"In Great Britain, their names are as synonymous with treason as Benedict Arnold's is in the United States--Kim Philby, Donald Maclean, Guy Burgess, Anthony Blunt, John Cairncross--and the flight of Burg
Jessica J.
May 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
I've had a bit of a love/meh relationship with Beatriz Williams's books for years. She started out strong, with some fun, soapy historical fiction, but then it started to feel as though she was more focused on teasing readers with callbacks and setting up sequels than telling good stories — meaning many of her books failed to be more than just average for me. Still, I kept reading because I knew there were some real gems along the way.

Thankfully, Our Woman in Moscow is probably her best to date
ABookwormWithWine
4.5/5

I may not have read many novels by her yet, but Beatriz Williams is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors, especially when it comes to historical fiction. Our Woman in Moscow was just what I would expect from her, and I am not surprised that I loved it. This is a story about both espionage and family, and the combination of the two oddly made it the perfect read. The KGB is something I haven't had a chance to read about in a historical fiction novel until now, and I really liked the K
Literary Redhead
Such a splendid book by the Historical Fiction Queen, Beatriz Williams. Her novels never disappoint, with delectable settings, fully-fleshed characters and intriguing tales. I love that OUR WOMAN IN MOSCOW is set during the Cold War, an era I lived partially through and remember well. Here, twin sisters Iris and Ruth find their lives at stake as Ruth travels to Moscow to extract Iris and her husband. A KBG officer dogs them, as they’re forced to make a choice with heartbreaking consequences. You ...more
Claudia
Apr 24, 2021 rated it liked it
I recently read "Her Last Flight" by this author, which I liked. When I saw the reviews for this book, I thought there must be something wrong with me. I did not enjoy this book. I liked the premise, but the story wandered so much, I lost interest. If I had not been able to listen to it at double speed, I probably would not have finished it. I feel like I missed something and should try again, based on all of the 4 and 5 star reviews this book received. Maybe I will try to get a physical copy an ...more
Marilyn
Jun 24, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 well deserved stars. Our Woman in Moscow by Beatriz Williams was based on the actual activities and events of The Cambridge Five. The names of these five notorious men in Great Britain “are as synonymous with treason as Benedict Arnold’s is in the United States”. Two of the five are actually submerged in the plot of Our Woman in Moscow. They are Guy Burgess and Donald Maclean. All of The Cambridge Five were recruited by the Soviet spy agency NKVD which later became the KGB in the 1930’s. The ...more
Amina
Jan 05, 2022 rated it really liked it
This is a story of Cold War espionage based loosely on true life events. It's a sweet concoction of intrigue, mystery, and romance. It had me thinking about the tv show Americans with the same backdrop.

Iris and Ruth Mcallister are twin sisters. Ruth runs a modeling agency and Iris falls in love with an American Diplomat. When Iris and her family go missing in 1948 conspiracies emerge that her husband is a spy.

Ruth and Iris have not been in contact for almost 12 years. Suddenly and unexpectedly
Lisa
Jun 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A Creative Story of Family Drama and Espionage

SUMMARY
Iris and Ruth are twin sisters and spending the summer of 1940 with their brother, a foreign diplomat in Rome. As war threatens, the sisters prepared to leave Italy. But Iris has fallen madly in love with Sasha Digby, a United States Embassy official, and refuses to go with her sister. She marries Sasha, and in 1948, Iris, Sasha, and their two children shockingly disappear from their London home. Did Sasha’s communist leanings cause them to de
Nursebookie
Jul 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
By Beatriz Williams

Beatriz Williams is an auto-buy author for me and her stories just keep getting better and better. I love everything she writes - as a master of the historical fiction genre, there is just so much heart put into this novel. I love that this has to do with espionage and the KGB, with the mysterious disappearance of Iris Digby, her husband and their children. Did she defect with America's most treasured secrets or is this deeper than what it seems?

I love the d
Tracy
Aug 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is a fabulous book. I thought it was going to be another World War 2 book and despite how much I love Beatriz Williams, I was worried cuz I'm sort of burnt out on WW 2 books.... But this is actually a family drama with a twist in that the story of the Cambridge Spy ring is intertwined into it. I'd never heard of this spy ring before, but they did exist. It's a great read with a great ending! Enjoy it.... ...more
Michelle
Jun 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
4.5

Full review to come.

Thank you to William Morrow books for my gifted copy!
Book Hippie
So sorry folks this is my second book by this author and although I love the story premise and the history background of which I am well read on, it was a chore to read this book. I had to force myself to read it and that is never a good thing for me. That being said if you are a fan of this author I imagine you will love this read.
Megan
May 16, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m not sure what held me back from liking this more. I seem to feel the same about each of this author’s books that I have read. The book was slow to start and the love story seemed a little rushed. The history was interesting but not enough to hold my interest fully. I enjoyed this as a. Audiobook but think I might have given up on the novel version.
DeB
Five stars! SO GOOD! I’ve certainly read about and watched documentaries about the British “Cambridge spy ring” which defected to the Soviet Union, but this book brings a completely different perspective to consider. Wives and their families: what was it like for them to be married to one of these men, and then have their lives totally uprooted, pulled away from family, were they considered, did they share the same political ideals - the whole mess!

Beatriz Williams has written a smartly paced,
Val (pagespoursandpups)

So many people told me I would love this when they saw it my current read. And they were right! This historical fiction is full of all the deception, lies, love, loyalty and intrigue I was hoping to find.

This story opens with twin sisters Iris and Ruth, opposites in many ways, estranged and living in separate countries. The story is told in alternating voices and spans from 1940-1952. The Cold War- tensions with the Soviet Union could not be higher. As the book travels back in time, the reader g
The Bookend Diner
May 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Thank you, William Morrow Books, for gifting me a copy of Our Woman in Moscow!

Genre: Historical Fiction
Pub Date: 6.1.21
Star Rating: ☆☆☆☆☆

“And what I have done this summer, I have done to repay my debit - the debt I owe her, the debt I owe to… all who came before me and saved me without knowing it.”

I read my first Beatriz Williams a few years ago and I haven’t been able to stop reading her books since. She is such an insanely talented author who pours her heart and soul into each book she write
Elizabeth (Literary Hoarders)
Yikes. Wish I liked this as much as other readers. Was expecting a spy story and I wound up with twin sister drama and silly sex scenes. At the 40% mark, I gave up waiting for something to happen and started to skim. And if I heard one more unnecessary description of Digby’s aquamarine eyes, I was going to scream. Sorry - this just wasn’t for me.
Ashley Curran
Our Woman in Moscow by Beatriz Williams

This is my third book from this author and I must be missing something. I found this book to be slow, too long, and jumpy. I only finished because I read this for a book club.
Twins.reading.books
Jun 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Once again Beatriz Williams has ascertained that she is the Queen of the Historical Fiction and hands down one of the best Writers out there. Our Woman In Moscow is a compulsive and heart-wrenching book, a little bit different from the previous books from Beatriz because besides the Historical fiction plot she has melted the spy thriller genre in a fascinating manner which is so captivating and it has gripped my brain and heart from the very first pages!
There are so many mind-blowing details a
Taury
Sep 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book. Action Drama a little light romance. Well written about espionage and double agents in a historical fiction setting. I will look forward to reading more from this author!!
David
Jan 30, 2022 rated it really liked it
The New York Times bestselling author of Her Last Flight returns with a gripping and profoundly human story of Cold War espionage and family devotion, Our Woman in Moscow by Beatriz Williams.

In the autumn of 1948, Iris Digby vanishes from her London home with her American diplomat husband and their two children. The world is shocked by the family’s sensational disappearance. Were they eliminated by the Soviet intelligence service? Or have the Digbys defected to Moscow with a trove of the West’s
Play Book Tag: Our Woman in Moscow by Beatriz Williams – 4 Stars 2 15 Feb 14, 2022 09:19PM

• Find You First
  • The Soulmate Equation
  • Magic Lessons (Practical Magic, #0.1)
  • A Rogue of One's Own (A League of Extraordinary Women, #2)
  • All That Fall (Emma Lawson #1)
  • Anywhere for You
  • Layla
  • The Anatomy of Desire
  • Notes on a Silencing
  • Vestiges of Grandeur: Plantations of Louisiana's River Road
  • Pretty Little Wife
  • The Lost Manuscript
  • The Last Debutantes
  • The Viscount Who Loved Me (Bridgertons, #2)
  • The Serpent Garden
  • Head Over Heels
  • An Elderly Lady Is Up to No Good (Äldre dam, #1)
  • The Fiery Cross (Outlander, #5)
See top shelves…

Articles featuring this book

Let's face it: 2021 may not be your preferred year. Not to worry, because these books make a great case for some page-turning time...
“Ruth, I spent most of my life just trying to be safe. Trying to hide from what scared me. Letting other people control what happened to me. Then I realized the idea of safety itself is just a delusion. -Life- is risky. And hiding isn't -living-.

[Iris Macallister Digby]”
2 likes
“...humans are corrupt. We are all of us selfish, ignorant beasts, loyal only to ourselves and our own kind, interested only in getting a leg up on others, whether it's money or status or moral virtue. That's why we've got religion, to discover our better angels....

[Vivian Schuyler]”