Start by marking “Notes from a Young Black Chef (Adapted for Young Adults)” as Want to Read:

Notes from a Young Black Chef (Adapted for Young Adults)

This inspiring memoir, now adapted for young adults, chronicles Top Chef star and Forbes and Zagat 30 Under 30 phenom Kwame Onwuachi's incredible and odds-defying fame in the food world after a tough childhood in the Bronx and Nigeria.

Food was Kwame Onwuachi's first great love. He connected to cooking via his mother, in the family's modest Bronx apartment. From that spark,
Published April 13th 2021 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Notes from a Young Black Chef, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Notes from a Young Black Chef

Start your review of Notes from a Young Black Chef (Adapted for Young Adults)
Tara Weiss
Jan 24, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
To make consommé, a flavorful but clear broth, a chef must balance the flavors of the initial stock. Then, as it simmers, they remove anything that would muddy the clarity of the soup that remains. Egg whites are used to catch the bits of additives so the chef can effectively remove the raft that rises to the top. I've never seen a more powerful metaphor for the process of self discovery, especially when a chef needs to find their culinary story. Concentrate your point of view, remove anything t ...more
Patti Sabik
Oct 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
I very much enjoyed this YA adapted version of Onwuachi’s memoir and believe it will make a solid contribution to my middle school biography collection. I’m always searching for stories that provide hope, enthusiasm, and a hearty dose of strong work ethic. This doesn’t disappoint. Onwuachi recounts his beginnings with an honest passion for cooking and a love for his craft.
Piepie
I love food, and I'm interested in diversity, and so this book ticked both boxes for me. I loved reading Kwame's history, where he came from, about his family. The descriptions of his dishes were amazing! Being a "young adult" edition, this book seemed to go quickly. I didn't know of Kwame prior to reading this, but I'm glad I read his story! Thanks, Netgalley, for this arc. ...more
Jenny Ashby
I vaguely remember Onwuachi from his season of "Top Chef" (as much as I remember any reality show contestant) and I like hearing about how people ended up excelling in their fields so I was immediately interested in his memoir. The reality of his story, however, left me less enamored of him which is often the case for me when it comes to biographies. The reality of a person is often disappointing after only seeing the public persona. The years of drug use (although not an addict) and selling mad ...more
Lindsey
Thank you to NetGalley and Delacorte Press for providing me an e-arc of this book in exchange for an honest review

I can’t say how this book compares to the original, but it was an informative and enjoyable read in its own right. This would be a good book for an older teen (there is lots of talk of drug use and dealing) interested in the culinary arts as it talked a lot about the inner workings of kitchens, their culture, and the food industry in general.
In addition to a bit of culinary educatio
Arlen
Nov 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
by Kwame Onwuachi
Pub Date: 13 Apr 2021
Read courtesy of http://netgalley.com

Kwame Onwuachi had an unusual amount of changes and chances in his life; some he could control, and others were beyond his control. But he used resilience and ambition to find his way from the streets to the sweets to the beets and meats, and his story is a wonderful example for young people to read about someone who chose not to be a victim of his circumstances.

As
Kathy Meulen Ellison
This is the young readers’ version of the book by the same name and follows this Top Chef alum from his early childhood in the Bronx and Nigeria and onto his early successes at the CIA and then in the world of fine dining. Onwuachi pulls no punches when describing the overt racism and subtle microaggressions that he experienced while climbing his way to the top. He names names. He even riffs on whether strong leadership in the kitchen has to be demeaning towards others. The descriptions of food ...more
Kara
Dec 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
This adaptation is great! I truly hope more people write memoirs for young adults. Kwame’s story is one I think a lot of kids can relate to, and his pride is also an attribute to highlight. I find that this doesn’t glorify kitchen life, but shows the reality of becoming a chef and the grit needed to succeed. I think it’ll be a great window for kids to see a potential career opportunity. And the stories were funny and personable. Overall an enjoyable read!
Tara
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an arc of this title from NetGalley for an honest review. I watched Kwame on Top Chef and loved this glimpse into his live as a young black chef beyond top chef. Great read for ya and adults.
Andréa
Note: I received a digital review copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley.
Alicia
I knew I had to read the adapted version of Notes from a Young Black Chef: A Memoir when I saw it on Netgalley because I adored the adult version. The book streamlines the content into chapters that share a chronology of Onwuachi's life by instilling a message of exploration, family, and longing for something that he eventually attained in becoming a chef.

He was a contestant on a cooking show, created and made the dishes for the opening of the Smithsonian Museum for African Americans in Washing
Great Books
Oct 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 21-ages-14-15
Kwame Onwuachi leverages his work ethic and passion for fine cooking into competing on Top Chef and opening his own restaurant – but his journey comes with challenges and racial barriers.

Reviewer 29.
Kristen Schuhardt
Mar 25, 2021

• Hello, Cruel Heart
  • The Lion of Mars
  • The Mysterious Disappearance of Aidan S. (as told to his brother)
  • Clap When You Land
  • Year of Wonders
  • Violet & Daisy: The Story of Vaudeville's Famous Conjoined Twins
  • You Have a Match
  • Be Dazzled
  • Tornado Brain
  • Punching the Air
  • The Gilded Ones (Deathless, #1)
  • The Cousins
  • The Okay Witch (The Okay Witch, #1)
  • Your Heart My Sky
  • A Cuban Girl's Guide to Tea and Tomorrow
  • Spin with Me
  • Happily Ever Afters
  • Firekeeper's Daughter
Kwame Onwuachi is the executive chef at Kith and Kin and owner of the Philly Wing Fry franchise in Washington, D.C. He was born on Long Island and raised in New York City, Nigeria, and Louisiana. Onwuachi was first exposed to cooking by his mother, in the family’s modest Bronx apartment, and he took that spark of passion and turned it into a career. From toiling in the bowels of oil cleanup ships ...more