Jump to ratings and reviews
After months of imprisonment, Vincent is struggling to adapt to the outside world. His body and mind are strangers to him, and Henri, his one constant his entire life, doesn’t understand the man he’s become.

Henri wants Vincent to take time to heal, but the revolution is rapidly unfolding with the thirteen tribes amassing at their doorstep to plot the Imperium—and Azrael’s—demise. Vincent gets swept up in the conflict and in doing so, puts himself in harm’s way. Parousia be damned, Henri will not to allow Vincent to become a martyr for the cause.

With his demoness mother at the helm of their campaign, Vincent must battle Lena’s ambitions and the other tribes’ gambits to usurp power if their revolution is to be successful. But he’ll never succeed with Henri obstructing him at every turn.

Both men are in love and at war with each other, but only one of them can rule.

Parousia is the final installment of the Mortal and Divine trilogy. Revenge never tasted so sweet, or so bloody.

390 pages, Kindle Edition

First published February 7, 2021

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Laura Lascarso

23 books425 followers
Laura Lascarso wants you to stay up way past your bedtime reading her stories. She aims to inspire more questions than answers in her fiction and believes in the power of storytelling to heal and transform a society.

When not writing, Laura can be found screaming “finish” on the soccer fields, rewatching Avatar: The Last Airbender, and trying to convince politicians to act on climate change. She lives in North Florida with her darling husband and two kids. She loves hearing from readers, and she’d be delighted to hear from you.

Join her Facebook group at www.facebook.com/groups/LaurasLounge

Sign up for her newsletter at www.lauralascarso.com

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 29 of 29 reviews
Profile Image for Claudie ☾.
521 reviews134 followers
January 19, 2021
Damn. I hoped I’d be more articulate after my reread, but nope, I’m still an incoherent mess. This book was just SO GOOD! 😭 The perfect conclusion of Henri and Vincent’s beautiful love story.

Parousia picks up a couple of months after the brutal cliffhanger at the end of Bloodborn Prince. Laura doesn’t pull any punches here, putting our beloved couple through hell. But even while my heart went out to them, I loved seeing how those events transformed both Henri and Vincent, and made them stronger. Vincent’s change was especially fascinating as he finally came into his own.

I don’t want to give out any spoilers, but here’s just a few high points to entice you:

➣ Henri remains the best book boyfriend EVER, and his devotion to Vincent is unparalleled here.

➣ Vincent’s still the sassy brat we know and love, but now he’s not afraid to use his sharpened claws to tear his enemies to ribbons!

➣ There’s more Lucian here! ❤️ (Yay! His fans — I know it’s not just me — got their wish!) AND he’s finally got his very own love interest that’s all but made for him (hint: it’s not Lena).

The Mortal and Divine trilogy remains one of the best things I’ve ever read. It shredded me emotionally, but it was such an amazing experience.

This series is a MUST-READ for all paranormal romance fans out there.
Profile Image for ☆ cal ☆.
482 reviews87 followers
August 25, 2021
You once told me that souls try and find each other in their future lives. They go seeking their beloved and feel a great spiritual angst when they can't. You'll find me, or I'll find you, and we'll get to know each other again, strangers at first but probably not for long.

this book got its highs and lows but in the end as a whole, i can admit i highly enjoyed this. fantasy/paranomral may not be my strongest genre still but these books were definitely something. lets just get into it, some scenes here were anticlimactic again and you know what i have forgiven them. as a finale book, my mind was expecting this grand face off/war/battle, i guess, with our beloved mcs against Azrael. and it was a bit underwhelming. when SOMETHING happened in the second chapter, i just knew this story will go in a different route other than the one i thought of. i still loved the romance between henri and vincent even though still not up to par with the first book. that damn book really set the bar up high. also surprisingly, i loved the politics in here! thirteen nephillim tribes banding together to defeat one common enemy was pulled off well. my mind may have spun with all these names but i was just into it.

I'll show them I am deserving of their respect. And if and when I earn the allegiance of the other tribes, I expect you to be the first to bow down before me as your Parousia.

what really sealed my 4 stars ratings were the last chapters. to be precise, the last 2 chapters + epilogue + orlando bell's letter to his future self. this book got one of the best ending that I have ever read. when things started to calm down, when the mcs finally attained the peace and comfort after all the fighting and betrayals, i was sobbing and emotional. i rooted for henri and vincent right from the very start and to finally see them in their HEA was devastating to me. A beautiful powerful story about the mortal and divine.

my LL collection:
🌻 Master's Schiavo - 5 stars
🌻 The Bravest Thing - 5 stars
🌻 Hiroku - 5 stars
🌻 Book of Orlando - 4 stars
🌻 A Soft Touch - 4 stars
🌻 Parousia - 4 stars
🌻 Bloodborn Prince - 3 stars
Profile Image for Vickie.
151 reviews9 followers
March 8, 2021
While this wasn’t my favorite in the series -mostly due to some relationship problems that weren’t solved until the end- I was sad to see it end and there was many things I enjoyed.
1. Meeting all the tribes was a lot of fun
2. Lucian and Stefan( can they get a story or at least a short one???)
3. Henri being the best boyfriend
4. I really loved Stefan
5. The couple of last chapters were action packed
5. Vincent and Henri finally got their happy ending ( and can I just say I’m happy their mortals)
6. Xavier was finally able to reach Santiago in dreams ( I’d also love a story or a short for them)
7. The note from Orlando... that got to me. Book of Orlando was my fav in the series so I miss him
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for M.I.A.
406 reviews77 followers
February 9, 2021
5 Beautiful gorgeous stars.
Laura Lascarso delivers with this trilogy.
Perfect HEA ending!
Vincent's entire character arc from beginning to end, through death and rebirth is definitely one of my favorite aspects of the Mortal and Divine series. In Parousia, he really morphs into a man that I found myself admiring and hurting for. There is one scene, that I won't ruin, that had me in tears. A scene that is still replaying in my mind and I beta read this at the end of 2020. Month's y'all and I can still recall so much of Parousia. And the ending, I couldn't have asked for a better ending.
Gosh, Lascarso managed to move me emotionally and entertain me in all the ways that I search for in the books I read.
Perfect. Is the word for this series.
HIGHLY RECOMMEND!
I wish I could do this book justice with a more extensive review, perhaps on my re-read. This is one series I plan on devouring again but back to back next time ^_^
Profile Image for h o l l i s .
2,336 reviews1,822 followers
April 10, 2021
Listen. I am hella privileged to be one of the beta-ish readers for these books so it's impossible to say that I am totally unbiased about this world after being in it for so long.

This series, in general, is delightful because it feels different from so many other paranormal romances out there, queer or otherwise, and because it's just dark enough to thrill you without leaning too hard on any particular buttons. This finale I think maybe dialed it up a notch or two from book two but book one definitely takes the cake for darkest. So hopefully that reassures anyone who starts into this world but wonders where it might go.

That said, seeing as this is a finale, am I going to spoil anything? Hahah nope. Will I tease? Yes. The steam will have you reaching for a fan, the soft moments will have you melting, the stakes will have you clutching for a hand hold, and the snark will definitely inspire a laugh or three.

Lascarso has created a complex mythology and many an intrigue and this final book in the Mortal and Divine world really fleshes out the bigger picture of the whole conflict that has been building since the start.

But at it's core this really is just about two souls and the lengths they would go for each other -- the sacrifices, yes, but also promises they break, thinking only to protect. These two are such a perfect fit but not seamless, very much their own part of the tapestry, and their battles on the grand scale never precludes them from battling each other, and sometimes that means crossing lines, making mistakes.. and it's such a real evolution, a give and take, and I loved the dynamic, especially when it wasn't perfect.

This has been such a great ride and while I'm sad it's over I can't wait to see where Lascarso will go next.

** I received an ARC the author (thank you!) in exchange for an honest review. **

----

This review can also be found at A Take From Two Cities.
Profile Image for Lieve.
576 reviews15 followers
March 11, 2021
I honestly don’t know where to begin and put this book in the value it truly deserves .
It’s one after finishing it some days ago ,swallowed me whole and left me totally bereft .
I was pulled right into this suspenseful and intriguing plot from the first page.
What a roller coaster ride and what different Vincent and Henri we got to see here ….death ,loyalty, commitment, betrayal, page by page I was hoping all would just work out for these two .There were some great scenes toward the end and also some parts that really gave me goosebumps !
Parousia is a story full of action ,thrill, suspense, danger and erotic moments .
If I could give this series more than 5*, I definitely would because each book left me intrigued enough so that I still wanted to come back for more .
Trust me , if you loved the first two books in this series , you’ll love this one as well !
But personally, Book of Orlando will be my favorite forever .
Highly recommend this series; hands down one of the best series I have ever read and that I won’t forget so easily .
Profile Image for AMHH.
93 reviews
February 6, 2021
This is the third book in a series I have been obsessed with from the start: the first one broke my heart and got me invested. The second pulled me in even further with just the right balance of hope and angst, and this one built upon the previous installments for exactly the reading experience I needed.

As the novel starts, Henri and Vincent still can’t catch a break, and while it’s difficult to go too deeply into the nuances of their troubles without spoilers, it’s not exaggerating to say they face antagonists and obstacles of biblical dimensions. That said, while their challenges are epic, their love is something even beyond that, and watching it win out against all odds--and their own worst impulses and decisions-- was everything. I cried at the end-- for all the right reasons. This book was exactly what I wanted from this story, even though I didn’t quite know it.

Finally, it’s also worth mentioning that the writing here is just as compelling as the plot: the descriptive language is almost lyrical and the author captures the essence of Henri and Vincent’s personalities in their smallest looks and gestures. I loved how nuanced they are as characters, and how they adapt in ways big and small to be together the ways they need to be. Henri is always going to be a little bit maddening-- and a lot stubborn-- but that’s the essence of his charm.

Tl;dr: I can’t recommend this book, and this series, highly enough.

*I received an ARC of this book and voluntarily composed an unbiased review.
Profile Image for Rielle.
418 reviews39 followers
May 30, 2021
I have a lot of feelings about this book.

I loved the first book, I disliked the second book, and this book has me torn. I honestly can’t tell my true feelings because I went in with the lowest of expectations. I wasn’t as disappointed as I was with the second book, but was that because I didn’t expect to be wowed? I certainly wasn’t impressed and thrilled like I was with the first book.

I do have to say that this book was entertaining and brought out some emotions, at times. The beginning made me sad and angry and that’s always something that impresses me. I love when I feel invested enough to care what happens. The epilogue was not enough though. I finally got what I wanted (something from book one!), but it was such a disappointment. From an author who masters words like this one, I should have cried my eyes out. That’s where I truly should have been made to feel.

There was more action in this book. I liked the world-building and the tribes. The intrigue was great and all the characters introduced were fun. The sex scenes were not compelling. I keep comparing everything to the first book and can’t help it here either because book one was just so hot. Maybe I’m just not into these two as a couple. Henri is so bland vanilla seems exotic. Vincent is almost a caricature of Orlando at this point and such a missed opportunity for character growth. He’s the exact same. How?! He went through some intense trauma and is the exact same? Even the plotting in this book is semi-recycled.

I guess I wouldn’t be this disappointed or care this much if I hadn’t loved the first book. I did finish this and I was entertained for most of it. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Profile Image for Joyfully Jay.
7,293 reviews412 followers
February 8, 2021
A Joyfully Jay review.

Parousia is the third book in the Mortal and Divine series. The books are intended to be read in order and this review will naturally reveal plot points for the series.

Parousia was one of my most highly anticipated books of the year and seeing Henri and Vincent through to the end was definitely a highlight. This books pick up where Bloodborn Prince ended, with Vincent having been abducted and Henri turning the world over and around looking for him. Henri refuses to believe that he could possibly lose Vincent. The author has put the characters through a lot and continues to do so as the book opens, and it’s incredible what the men have to endure.

The series continues to be fascinating as it’s written in second person and reads as if Henri and Vincent are reciting the story to each other. The style is polished perfection and never wavers from the commitment Henri and Vincent have to each other. This book takes a step back a little from the relationship aspect of Henri and Vincent a bit and goes full force into the battle and a society on the brink of war, where Vincent is prepared to step up and take the lead, but Henri isn’t having any of it.

The Mortal and Divine series is unique and clever story telling with a transcendent love story that can easily capture your imagination as Henri and Vincent seek their fate in everlasting love.

Read Michelle's review in its entirety here.

Profile Image for Carla.
87 reviews1 follower
October 21, 2021
I love this series.
Profile Image for Kazza.
1,423 reviews145 followers
Read
February 12, 2021
I have to think about my rating and review. Parousia is well written for the most part, there's solid world building, it draws to a conclusion that will make a lot of readers happy, but the characterisations were just... off. For me.

And it went to a place I don't personally like; I read paranormal and fantasy for reasons - I can't divulge anymore than that because it is one huge spoiler. A nice touch...

At the end of the day, at trilogy's end, this is a good tale. It's different. I fell in love with Henri and his love, his obsession, his soulmate in book #1. Book of Orlando was my Book of the Year: 2020. Parousia is the last book in the trilogy so if you've been holding off or you're looking for something different in the genre, well, you can read all the way through now.
299 reviews
February 10, 2021
I can’t believe it

I refuse to believe it, it’s over........I spent so much time reading this book I felt like I’ve aged so old. From seeing henri with Orlando to Vincent. You literally learn to grow on these characters.
Vincent is changed through his time with Azreal but in a way matra was right that Vincent was too innocent and with the way he was he could never rise to do what needed to be done.
Henri (Andronicus) has lived for a long time to see his struggle with putting Vincent’s need above his safety. I’ve loved Henri since book 1 even as blind as he was to Azreals deceits.
I can’t with this book. We watched Vincent live 2 lives and even aged with him. To sacrifice yourself for the one you love most is beyond anything I could comprehend.
This quote was when I truly fell in love with both Vincent and Henri

“Yes, my darling. Give me this too. Give me everything.” My breath, my blood, my pain and pleasure. “All of it is for you, Henri.” “No one else.” “Tell me...” I panted. “Tell me…” “Because you’re mine, Vincent.”

Please write more beautiful books like this and take us on another journey.
Profile Image for Sonia Nainwani.
374 reviews1 follower
October 27, 2021
Action, Fighting, Betray, Conspiracy, Romance, devotion, Passion, Possession

I have enjoyed the battle where they killed Azrale (I wanted to kill him too 😈)

I loved the romance, passion and devotion between Henri and Vincent. I also loved the way he saved himself from grief of Henri's death and i must say he is more intelligent than Henri 😉

Worth of reading 💃
Profile Image for Nadège.
67 reviews1 follower
February 10, 2021
The Mortal and Divine trilogy is one of the best series I have ever read! What a ride! And this third book was everything I ever wanted for Henri and Vincent.
Profile Image for Max.
60 reviews
October 17, 2021
It was a great conclusion to the series. I liked this book a lot more than Book 2, but Book of Orlando is still my favorite. Vincent grew on me and now I love him a lot and I'm glad Henri & Vicent got their deserved HEA and that they're both mortal. I would love to read a Lucian & Stefan's story.
Orlando Bell's letter to his future self made me sob wildly. He's still the best and I miss him a lot.
Profile Image for Jo.
53 reviews2 followers
February 7, 2021
This book.

THIS. BOOK.

I can't think of a better buildup to the ultimate showdown, while navigating the timeless love between Henri and Vincent.

I want to say more, but I won't. I'm going to live my life and pretend this book isn't part of my soul now. I don't smoke, but maybe I should start. *deep breath* Hooooo....
Profile Image for VVivacious.
835 reviews36 followers
February 11, 2021
I have been waiting to get my hands on this story ever since I finished 'Bloodborn Prince' in November last year, it hasn't been that long of a wait but that cliffhanger at the end of 'Bloodborn Prince' made it feel thrice as long.

All things considered, I really enjoyed this book and it was so engrossing that the pages seemed to be flying away. Before I could realise it I was almost two-thirds into the book. If you have enjoyed the previous books in the series you will enjoy this one as well.

The most important thing for me was getting the ending right for Vincent and Henri and I think the book nailed it. There was a lot going on and not everything could get the attention it deserved but at the end of the day, I was happy with where this story took these two and where we leave them. That touch at the very end of the book was inspired.

There is truly a lot happening in this book, this world expands by leagues and bounds in this book and I feel a little short-changed on that account because while the world around these characters seemed larger than ever we only ever focus on a few important characters which helped streamline the narrative but I feel there were a lot of tribes that didn't contribute to the plot at all besides just being there.

I think that is the only downside to the book because I really enjoyed my experience reading this series as a whole and I'm really happy with the ending. This series will be memorable and I feel inspired to read more by this author.
Profile Image for Kristin.
1,198 reviews
August 17, 2021
I absolutely loved this series and all of the characters within it. I definitely wouldn't say no to a bonus novella, especially one that centered around Lucian and Stefan.

My only complaint is that I don't believe leo et patientia means what the author thinks it means. Google Translate and one or two other automated translation sources say it does, but I have never known leo to mean anything other than lion. If I had to venture a guess, I would say that leo has been used with other words in a metaphorical way to symbolize something relating to time, and Google is drawing from that to translate it as "timing." But perhaps the author was correct and I am wrong; I just found it distracting, that's all.
Profile Image for All.
17 reviews
February 18, 2021
Parousia was the perfect ending to the story of Henri and Vincent, the right measure between romance and action. We follow the evolution of the characters as they mature in their respective roles. Henri is always a passionate and devoted figure and Vincente of a boy with dreams of greatness to a leader. Laura Lascarso knew how to keep the readers' attention during all the pages and that was perfect, the trilogy was perfect from the first to the last book.
Profile Image for Ellen.
742 reviews
May 10, 2021
I enjoyed this book, but I didn't think it was to the level of the others. I wasn't a real fan of the ending - I felt a little let down, but overall I have found this series highly entertaining and would not hesitate to recommend it.
Profile Image for Lauren.
182 reviews4 followers
December 22, 2022
What a phenomenal series! I’m so happy that I read these books.

I did lag a bit in the middle, as this book was a lot more war and political plotting than the first two, but even though it took me a while to get through I still enjoyed it. There was still enough spice and romance throughout, and the ending absolutely left me sobbing. I loved this story so much and I think it will stay with me for a while.
Profile Image for Midori.
149 reviews1 follower
February 16, 2021
The best book book i’ve read about Gods, angels, demons and reincarnation.
Profile Image for Annie.
136 reviews
March 19, 2022
I Like Vincent. But I love Orlando and I wish he was alive the whole series. Orlando was charismatic, kind, sweet, funny. His humanity was the soul of this story. He deserved to be happy with Henri so much.

But Vincent deserved to be happy too and the end of the series was very satisfying.

Orlando's letter broke my heart.

I hope there's a book of Lucian and Stefan.

Profile Image for Susie .
177 reviews3 followers
September 21, 2021
3.5 stars. It was good, but I would definitely say that Book of Orlando was my favourite book in this trilogy.
Displaying 1 - 29 of 29 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.