Start by marking “This is not your fault” as Want to Read:
This is not your fault

This is not your fault

From acclaimed author Courtney Maum, a short story about a couple in the throes of divorce during COVID-19 that will remind listeners of the heartfelt humor and acuity of her critically acclaimed and beloved debut novel, I Am Having So Much Fun Here Without You.

Hal Beekman is exhausted. With all of his energy devoted to his real estate developments, he doesn’t have the ba
Audible Audio
Published August 31st 2020

To ask other readers questions about This is not your fault, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This is not your fault

Start your review of This is not your fault
Erin
Sep 30, 2020 rated it liked it
A realistic he said/she said as a couple go through the divorce process during the COVID-19 crisis.

Having enjoyed Courtney Maum's "I AM Having So Much Fun Here Without You", I certainly loved this short story. Maum definitely has a gift for making her characters so relatable.

1 hr 2mins

Goodreads review published 30/09/20
romekia furr
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
very anti climatic, it was ok, but ended suddenly with no real resolution
Denise Lauron
Jan 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
I picked this up as a palate cleanser between bookclub books. It was included with my Audible subscription, and it was short. It was the perfect time to read it.

This was a light epistolary book about a couple going through a divorce during Covid times. It addresses many of the difficulties with life in during this time, along with general difficulties of time management and the court system.

I think that it was well written and hit many points that I hadn't thought of. Plus it kept my interest
zydecope♥
Sep 19, 2020 rated it liked it
“Tuesday. Friday. Sunday. Does it matter? No, it doesn’t matter.”

This is told from the perspective of a husband and wife who are going through/have divorced. It was interesting to hear both perspectives and tied into a few common issues many people struggle with when they experience divorce. It could have tackled more but it was over all okay.
Kathryn
Dec 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Short quick listen. Good, but ends kind of on a cliffhanger, although I guess the “end” is implied.
Debra Silverman
Sep 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm a divorce lawyer and thought this was a realistic view of the difficulties and pain of divorce.
Jillian
Sep 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
I think this short story makes you reflect on how your friends, acquaintances, neighbors, family, and social network affect your romantic/spouse/main partnerships. I had a few friends get divorced or break-up (before and during this pandemic) and it's tricky navigating those friendships. Sometimes they'll suddenly ask how my marriage is, or if there are things I don't like about it. I factor in their anxiety about Covid19, dating again, and just trying to share their experience...but it's compli ...more
Juan Rivera
Oct 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lecturas-2020
When the circumstances of life make you separate from another person, just as when you join someone, I believe that the decision must be taken seriously.

What if because of the pandemic and because of the children you see that it is very difficult to separate and you regret it?

This is what happens in Courtney Maum's “This Is Not Your Fault”; where the spouses begin their divorce proceedings on March 23rd. And then everything closes. She sees how difficult it is to keep the children without her
Barbara Schoenfeld
Oct 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Clever Courtney crafted this fast-paced story by escorting the reader through the characters’ emails and files. The clinical reporting forms hint at the heartbreak of a couple’s marriage falling apart. Maum creatively illuminates their pain, for example, through descriptions of property being divided up—such as the coffered ceilings in the Greenwich mansion portraying a lifestyle that got out ahead of them. Her writing style is chatty and real, making for a completely credible vignette of life u ...more
Morgan Lyons
Feb 26, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2021
Meh.
I thought the presentation of both parties' viewpoints through the lens of divorce documents and correspondence with counsel was creative, and I have no reason not to believe the reviewers who say that this accurately reflects many aspects of the process, but it was too short and ended on too much of a cliff-hanger for my tastes.
More than that though, I was really bothered by the wife's apparent realization near the conclusion that perhaps she could remain happily married if she just kept
Krista Lukas
Sep 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-books-read
This Audible original, which takes place during the current pandemic, consists of journal entries and emails. It tells the story of a couple who is separated and about to divorce, the reasons for that, the unlikelihood of the divorce working out since neither of them is fully committed to it, and leaves the listener with hope that they will reunite. It does everything or longer work would do in a short period of time.
Joshua Meyer
Jan 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
Depressing look at a lot of the problems that people can face in a relationship during the pandemic with a sprinkle of hope at the end. Short read and worth it.

I think it also addresses the lack of communication in a relationship can lead to its downfall and bringing in outside sources to comment on a relationship (friends/family) can lead to a skewed perspective when the single party takes a step back.
Jessica
Feb 09, 2021 rated it did not like it
As soon as it started getting interesting, it was over. I know it's a short story, but it spent more time building characters and talking about the COVID pandemic than it did the actual story. I think this could have been an interesting full-length book/performance, but as it stands, it was severely lacking in many departments. ...more
Ann
Oct 17, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a short story that had my interest from the beginning until the sudden abrupt end. Had there been a resolution or a more positive feeling of the correct actions being taken, I could have given another star.
Mindy
Dec 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
This was a pretty decent short story until it abruptly ended!! Grrr...there's no resolution at all. HUGE disappointment. It seems like the author got bored and said screw it, it's good enough (it's not). ...more
Tanya
Sep 23, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars.
Jill Hallenbeck
Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-book
Wonderful story of quarantine giving people time to stop and think about their lives.
Tasha
Sep 29, 2020 rated it liked it
I found this story interesting to listen to but then I felt like the end of the story was very abrupt. I was expecting more and was surprised when all of a sudden the story had ended.
Shirley Garmon
Oct 01, 2020 rated it liked it
this book didnt really go anywhere or say anything... just a day in the life during Covid19.
AfroLit
Oct 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Relationship and the pandemic. Marriage and counseling. Work it out, it's possible. ...more
Jane Lump
Oct 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Loving through Covid is bad enough, I didn’t really need to read about it too. Interesting as an example of fiction and real life converging.
Gabriela Bazan
Oct 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Definitely an interesting twist on how things play out.
Heather
Dec 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
Started off okay, a realistic he said/she said account of a couple getting a divorce during the pandemic. Hated the ending though- very abrupt, anticlimactic and no real ending to the story
Angela Verry
Dec 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sarah A
Dec 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
A good one to know how marriage life in 2020 is going through.
Wendy (bardsblond)
Feb 13, 2021 rated it liked it
Oh, I knew when Covid started that some very interesting romance novels and plays would result. This is a quasi-comedic spin on a divorce in progress during the time of Covid. I liked it.
Braden Eugene
Feb 16, 2021 rated it did not like it
Shelves: hated
Book one of the Ariana Readathon! This book wasn’t sad, just dry and boring.
Camille
Feb 26, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio, psrc2021
Audio
That was okay I guess
Missy
Oct 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Told through emails to their lawyers, one couple's divorce during COVID-19 pandemic. ...more
Cynthia
Sep 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Divorce in the year of Covid-19 - hohum

• Everyone’s Happy
  • Half Light
  • One of Those Flings
  • Islanders
  • In-Depth Market Research Interviews with Dead People.
  • Yard Work
  • Hold Your Breath
  • Little Surrenders
  • Dispossession
  • People in Hell Want Ice Water
  • Alexa, why can’t you love me?
Courtney Maum is the author of the novels Costalegre (a GOOP book club pick and one of Glamour Magazine’s top books of the decade), I Am Having So Much Fun Here Without You and Touch (a New York Times Editor’s Choice and NPR Best Book of the Year selection), and the handbook Before and After the Book Deal: A writer’s guide to finishing, publishing, promoting, and surviving your first book, out now ...more

News & Interviews