Start by marking “A Hex for Danger (An Enchanted Bay Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
A Hex for Danger (An Enchanted Bay Mystery #2)

A Hex for Danger

(An Enchanted Bay Mystery #2)

The annual Mermaid Festival is the setting for Esme Addison's sunny-yet-sinister second Enchanted Bay mystery, perfect for fans of Heather Blake and Bailey Cates.

The small town of Bellamy Bay has its share of skeletons in its closet, but it isn't used to bodies turning up in the local history museum. After all, this coastal North Carolina town is much like any other...
Expected publication: July 13th 2021 by Crooked Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about A Hex for Danger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hex for Danger

Start your review of A Hex for Danger (An Enchanted Bay Mystery #2)
Sue Em
Feb 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Welcome back to Bellamy Bay where the local mermaid festival may have real mermaid descendants. And some may have murderous intentions. Well-written cozy with an interesting and well designed paranormal mythology. Of course having engaging characters and a twisty plot is really what makes the book work so well. Rounding up from 4 and a half stars. Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
Chatting About
A fascinating paranormal cozy murder mystery rooted in ancient mythology. Prepare to spend a few hours enthralled! The Sobieski women are mermaid descendants. Protagonist Alex, her Aunt Lidia, and her cousins, Minka and Kamali, prefer to be called healers, and run a popular herbal apothecary—Botanika. Kamali is a police officer and doesn’t normally practice magic. Detective Jack Frazier is Alex’s boyfriend, and doesn’t know she’s a Magical.

When bizarre events begin happening globally; a connecti
FMSWarrior
Feb 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
When Alex is confronted by a woman who knows her family’s secret, but seems to want to keep it secret, she is intrigued. Before the two are able to speak again the woman is found murdered, leaving Alex to wonder who else knows the secret.

Rather than telling her family, she sets out to find who murdered the woman and determine if the secret is safe or her family is in danger. This could put Alex in an even more precarious position than just having the secret known, it could end Alex’s life. But ...more
Doreen Pacini
Feb 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
Overall, this mystery book kept the reader on their toes and was very suspenseful. When you think you know who the killer is, the author would take you on a twist. It was very fun to read this book. I also liked how the mermaids used magical powers throughout the book so it had a little bit of fantasy as well. Since this book is the second in the series, I did not read the first so I felt like I was missing a little bit of information as I was reading. At the end of this book the story does not ...more
Judy
Apr 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the Enchanted Bay Mystery series and continues with the story of Aleksandra Daniels (Alex) and how she is living her life in Bellamy Bay as a water witch. If you don’t enjoy books with paranormal aspects in it, then this isn’t for you. However, I would suggest giving it a shot as the characters are well-written and this story is good.

The town of Bellamy Bay is having a Mermaid Festival and an artist named Neve Ryland is in town to create a mermaid-themed mural. Neve ca
Sherri
Mar 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
***I received an ARC from Net Galley in exchange for my honest review

Alex Daniels is extra busy right now, between helping to run the family business (an herbal apothecary) and helping her friend Celeste plan the annual Mermaid Festival. Then renowned artist Neve Ryland, who is in town to paint a mermaid-themed mural in the park, is found murdered. Celeste is the prime suspect because Neve had been spending so much one-on-one time with Celeste's boyfriend, Jasper. Alex is determined to clear her
Jan
And here I thought that the Polish immigrants all settled in the upper Midwest! Never knew there was an enclave in South Carolina, and I'd never heard about the mermaid legend of Warsaw. So this history geek had a really great time reading about a magical community within a regular community and the investigation of a murder. Terrific cozy well written with engaging, fun characters. Loved it!
I requested and received a free temporary ebook from Crooked Lane Books via NetGalley. Thank you!
Anne
Feb 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
One of my new favorite cozy mystery series! It’s full of twists and turns and red herrings. The characters are well developed and interesting, There are mythical creatures and legends galore! Can’t wait to read the next book in this series!
Chris gerst
Jan 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Loved reading this book and series. 1 of my favorite authors
Brittani
Feb 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Esme Addison makes a huge splash with the second book in the Enchanted Bay mysteries !

It's hard for me to write a synopsis without giving too much away so I'll jump into the review! Addison's writing transports the reader to Bellamy Bay flawlessly. Her descriptions of the apothecary shop were so vivid that I felt I could put on my coat, drive downtown, and visit it myself. I want to try everything the shop sells. And the food! Her descriptions are so rich that I started looking up restaurants in
Lisa Morin
Feb 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I will admit, I did struggle a bit to get into the story, but once I did, I couldn’t put it down.
There were so many twists, turns, and red herrings in the story, that I was kept on the edge of my seat the entire time.
Alex, Minka, Kamila, Celeste and Lidia are a great cast of characters. I enjoyed all the information about Mermaids, and the magical aspects of the story were intriguing.
I’m curious to see how things play out with Alex, Jack & Dylan.
I definitely recommend this series.
Elaine LaBonte
Mar 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: readers who believe in mermaids, and readers who don’t believe in mermaids.

I especially enjoyed A Hex for Danger because it's surprisingly realistic for a fiction book about mythological creatures. Esme Addison, has a gift for keeping the story moving and increasing the suspense without her style drawing attention away from the story.

Scientific study takes on its own role as it becomes more clear how dangerous it would be for the town if the plot goes against the mermaids secrecy.

A Hex for Danger, in my opinion, is for fans of cozy mysteries, intrigue, readers who bel
Gina
Feb 09, 2021 rated it liked it
"A Hex for Danger" is the second in the Enchanted Bay mystery series by Esme Addison. Alex is settling in with her cousins and aunt at their botanical shop, and is learning more about her mermaid heritage and powers.

The town is holding their annual Mermaid Festival, to celebrate their connection to the Mermaid of Warsaw. The artist who painted a mural for the event is found bludgeoned after a party, and Alex's cousin Celeste is the prime suspect. As Alex investigates, she is put at odds with her
Betsy
Feb 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
A Hex for Danger is the second book in this series but the first I read and it does well as a standalone.

The premise is a bit unusual-Alex, our protagonist has settled in Bellamy Bay, North Carolina with her mother's family after her father's death.. Her father had forbade her to have contact with them after her mother's death when she was seven. She has recently discovered that she is a mermaid and descended from the Mermaid of Warsaw (the legend really exists!) and has supernatural powers. And
Shannon
Mar 24, 2021 rated it liked it
Having read the first book of the series, this second book seems a little disjointed. This one actually seems like the third book in the series. Diving in, Alex seems to be at a further point in her identity in town than I expected. She is now in a relationship with Jack when the first book ended with them barely at a truce. Her and Pepper also seem to have a Batman and Robin relationship I didn’t see coming. While the first book ended with signs that they were friends, I didn’t quite expect her ...more
Cynthia
Apr 01, 2021 is currently reading it
Alex Daniels is at it again trying to solve yet another murder mystery in the magical town of Bellamy Bay, North Carolina. This town is full of magicals and mundanes, mundanes are humans with no magical ability. I loved the setting and the magical elements of this story. This is a paranormal cozy mystery that involves mermaids, dragons, and water witches.

Alex must help her cousin Celeste out when Celeste is accused of murder all while helping out at her familys' herbal apothecary and dating Jack
Bethany
Feb 12, 2021 rated it liked it
A fun cozy mystery that brings out the sinister and the summer time.

Although I did not read the first Enchanted Bay Mystery, this one still reads well as a standalone--and I still felt connected to the characters and was able to understand the story perfectly.

Mermaids, witches, what else could be real?

With murders abundant in a small, magical town in North Carolina, you may just find out who killed them and what other myths and fairytales exist outside of books.
Anjali
Feb 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
The second in a cozy mystery series, Alex once again finds herself in the middle of a murder investigation. Involving mermaids, dragons, and very coveted shield, Alex is trying to protect her family again from being accused of murder by her cop boyfriend Jack. There are some nice twists at the end, but this one felt a bit darker than the first book. Still a fun and quick read.

Thanks to NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for the arc.
Lacey Harrington
Mar 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the An Enchanted Bay Mystery Series. This is a fun mermaid theme which I haven’t seen much of. Fun characters and this does have paranormal aspects. You can read this one by itself however it will make more sense to start with the first.
#AHexforDanger #NetGalley
Victoria Hamel
Mar 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: coyer-2021
A Hex for Danger is the second book in the Enchanted Bay Mystery series by Esme Addison. The first book in the series is A Spell for Trouble. You can definitely read this book and enjoy it without having read the first book--but if you like to read Cozy Mysteries, why not read both, right?

The book takes place in the small Coastal town of Bellamy Bay, North Carolina. Personally, Coastal Cozy Mysteries are one of my favorite types of mysteries. Something about a beachy small town on the edge of a
Sharon
Apr 04, 2021 rated it it was ok
Finished. Grammatical errors and misspellings just don't work in a completed work. A whole lot of characters to keep track of, a whole lot of styles of magic to keep track of - this all made for a less than good read. ...more
Karen
Mar 19, 2021
Esme Addison
Jan 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Tiffany
kim
Nov 14, 2020
Nov 14, 2020

• A Glimmer of a Clue
  • Murder in the Cookbook Nook (Book Retreat Mysteries, #7)
  • Beyond a Reasonable Donut (A Deputy Donut Mystery Book 5)
  • Murder in a Teacup
  • Cajun Kiss of Death: A Cajun Country Mystery
  • A Scone of Contention (Key West Food Critic Mystery, #11)
  • Wining and Dying
  • Death Bee Comes Her (An Oregon Honeycomb Mystery, #1)
  • A Tale of Two Cookies (A Cookie House Mystery #3)
  • Fatal Fried Rice (A Noodle Shop Mystery, #7)
  • Peaches and Schemes (Georgia B&B Mystery)
  • Deadly Delights (A Bookish Baker Mystery #2)
  • Lemon Drop Dead (Amish Candy Shop Mystery #6)
  • Dogged by Death (A Furry Friends Mystery #1)
  • Mrs. Morris and the Sorceress (A Salem B&B Mystery #4)
  • Long Island Iced Tina (Catering Hall Mystery #2)
  • Death Gone A-Rye (A Bread Shop Mystery #6)
  • Ruby Red Herring
Ever since Esme discovered Nancy Drew, she's wanted to solve mysteries. As a mystery author, she's finally found a way to make that dream come true. A former military spouse, Esme lives in Raleigh, NC with her husband and three boys. When she's
not writing, you can find her visiting B&Bs, breweries, wineries, and historical sites.

Esme is a member of Sisters in Crime and International Thriller Write

An Enchanted Bay Mystery (2 books)
  • A Spell for Trouble (An Enchanted Bay Mystery #1)

News & Interviews

Psychological thrillers that will leave your head spinning. Cold cases, detectives hot on a trail, unreliable narrators, and a dash of poison...