Start by marking “Love in the City” as Want to Read:
Love in the City

Love in the City

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  438 ratings  ·  185 reviews

Find out what happens when a Kiwi girl ventures into the big city in this sexy and funny slow-burn romantic comedy about going after your dreams.

Have you ever stopped to look around at your life and realized nothing is how you want it?

Turning thirty has a way of making you take a good, hard look at your life. And I think we all know what any sensible adult does in

Published October 5th 2020 by National Library of New Zealand

To ask other readers questions about Love in the City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love in the City

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Love in the City
Aoife - Bookish_Babbling
This was a slow burn steamy'ish debut story of a small fish moving to the big city with a dream of writing. It felt at times like a mashup of Carrie from Sex & the City with a dash of Andi from How to Lose a Guy in 10 days...but that might just be the writing slant. Alex is nothing like those leads and the storylines aren't really all that similar either so I dunno why they kept popping into my head 😅

Although this did feel a bit like a movie at times as the book starts with the MC making a rash
Chloe Liese
Love in the City is the perfect intro to the romance genre. Featuring a woman on the quest for self-discovery, moving across the world, pursuing her dreams, and finding love, this romance is delightfully meta-aware, asking the question through humor, heartfelt inner monologue as well as dialogue amongst friends: is romance real? is happy ever after possible? or is it all just a fairy tale...?

While grappling with some difficult subject matter such as unsupportive parents, heartbreak, divorce, an
anna ✩
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 stars!

I don't exactly know how to start this review because I am just so in awe with this book and I just want to shout about it from the rooftops.

I tend to be very picky with romance novels and I’m definitely very stingy when it comes to rating them. And the reason is because I don’t want to be reading a romance novel about a man who is abusive and toxic but that somehow is romanticised. I don’t want to reading about lost women who are nothing without their men. I don’t want to be reading dr
Cressida McLaughlin
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get to read this brilliant book early, and I finished it with a massive grin on my face and tears in my eyes.

It has all the elements of the perfect romcom. A loveable, flawed heroine who is, above all, relatable; a cast of supporting characters that you WISH you could be friends with; a setting that you can imagine yourself being both awestruck by and fitting right into - I am so desperate to go to New York after reading this.

And then there is The Hero. The hero in this b
Beenish
Feb 24, 2021 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Ughh okay I want this now.
nick (the infinite limits of love)

This was cute overall but I admit to having a really hard time with how easy it was for the MC to move to the US and finding a job without a work visa (which illegal 🥴). It's a very romanticised view of immigrating to the United States and while I realize that it's fiction, it was just hard for me to completely ignore.
RateTheRomance
The first two chapters of this book had me snort-laughing! Alex wakes up the morning after a tequila binge and realizes she has completely upended her life while drunk the night before! As the events of the previous night come to light I was laughing out loud (something I don't do often while reading).

This book is filled with so many of the best things: good girlfriends, crap ex-boyfriends, wise sisters, risk taking, hilarious awkwardness, a hot and sometimes grumpy Hero, a curvy and optimistic
Lauren Mae
Sep 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
You're going to want to grab this one as soon as it comes out. Love in the City is a laugh out loud Rom Com with some amazing chemistry between the hero and heroine, and a fun cast of characters--Geoff, I'm talking about you. Full of adventure, a bright voice, and swoony moments, this book will delight romance lovers and also appeal to women's fiction readers who like a little heat. Add it to your TBR today! ...more
Shelby
Feb 13, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After her boyfriend dumps her on her birthday, 30-year old Alex gets wasted and not only quits her job, but buys a plane ticket to NYC. When she comes to in the morning, she instantly wants to take back her drunken choices, but she knows there was some truth behind her actions. Alex isn’t where she wants to be at 30 and she finally wants to pursue her dreams. And NYC is the place to do it.

Alex stays with her best friend’s buddy in the City named Cat and that’s how Alex meets her upstairs neighb
Jessica
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Jen Morris for allowing me to read this early!

For her debut novel, @jenmorrisauthor knocked the ball out of Central Park (see what I did there 😉)

We meet Alex, a New Zealander who is ready for a big change in her life & flies across the world to NYC to live out her dream of writing & finding true love. When she arrives, things don’t go as planned, including a hot & steamy (literally) encounter with a grumpy sexy guy, Michael.

I loved that this wasn’t only about Alex & Michael, but als
Twice Upon A Book
Kelli
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love in the City is a fantastic book! The start of the book was hilarious and you really can’t help rooting for Alex as she goes after her dreams in New York. It was a great romance between Alex and Michael, with a lot of both sweet and hot moments.

I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Wendy Robey
Sep 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
A great read with really relatable characters, some steamy scenes and great ending.
I enjoyed getting to know more about the characters, and really liked Alex, as she fought against the constant criticism from home to achieve her dreams.
Looking forward to seeing what's next in this series.

This is an honest review in exchange for a free copy of the book. Many thanks to Jen Morris.
Maura Elizabeth
Oct 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2020, romance
I was really excited to read this book, and there were some parts that I liked—the descriptions of New York definitely made me nostalgic for the time I lived there! A major scene is set in Strand Bookstore and I loved being able to picture every minute of the action. But ultimately, there were, like, two and a half elements of Love in the City that really downgraded the book for me:

1. Alex, the heroine, feels so much younger than 30. I understand that she’s supposed to be in a rut and unhappy wi
Melena Torretta
Sep 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, arcs
Alex moves from small-town New Zealand to New York City after a bad break up. She's determined to work on her writing and start fresh, but from the very beginning things don't go as planned.

Almost immediately she finds out the apartment she leased is a scam and she spills coffee on a good looking, grump of a guy. Things begin to look up, though, when she finds a group of friends - including one who lets Alex crash at her apartment - and finds out grumpy guy is actually Michael who lives in the
Lisa Whittaker
Sep 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was sent a free copy of this book by the author in exchange for an honest review.

Alex wakes up with a hangover the morning after her 30th birthday. She’s been dumped by her boyfriend and in her drunken haze, she spends all of her savings on a flight to New York and the deposit on an apartment there to follow her dream of becoming an author.

Alex arrives in New York, gives the address of her new apartment to the taxi driver and off she goes. Unfortunately for Alex, she’s been scammed and the ap
Bianca Duthie
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review and I can honestly say I absolutely blooming LOVED this book!
Romance + New York is my absolute favourite combination.
I really liked the fact that Michael is a little older - I don't feel like this part of romance is often explored, its always a couple in their late 20s early 30s but Michael was a mature, lovely man (who happened to sound sexy as hell!)
The characters were really well written, I loved not only Alex and Michael
Stephanie (read_with_steph)
Jan 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
When Alex's boyfriend dumps her on her 30th birthday, she drunkenly books a one-way ticked from her home of New Zealand to New York City. She's always wanted to be a romance author, but at every step of the way her parents' belittle her and her new life in the Big Apple seems to take a turn for the worse. Especially when she starts her stay by dumping coffee on who ends up being her super-hot new neighbor...

This book had everything: a romantic picture of New York City, a #swoonworthy single dad
Trianna/Treereads
Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
This had promise, but by 30% I was annoyed.

It features some tropes I am just not a fan of and required me to suspend my disbelief way more than I like to do (even for a romance novel)
Charlie Smith
Dec 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Did I really finish an EBook in TWO DAYS????? IM SO PROUD OF MYSELF.
YALL, THIS BOOK WAS THE CUTEST, FILTHIEST, BEST THING IVE READ IN A HOT MINUTE AND I MEAN IT WAS, WHEW CHILE, I???? NO WORDS. THIS BOOK??? GOOD???? GOOD. GOOD.
MORE WORDS, BIG WORDS, GOOD WORDS. READ THIS BOOK PLS AND THANKS
Becky Burrier
Oct 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
After her life comes crashing down around her, Alex makes the drunken decision to move from her home country of New Zealand to New York City. She is trying to make it as a writer in the in the city. Alex is constantly butting heads with her single father neighbor, Michael.

Alex is very naive; she seems easily taken advantage of. She often misunderstands people's intentions. Alex dreams of being a romance author. Her fear of people judging has become its own antagonist in the story. It rings very
Oriana Blyth (_head_in_a_book)
Jen’s debut book is absolutely brilliant!!

It had everything I love about a romance novel!! Amazing setting ✔️ gorgeous leading man ✔️ brilliant main female character ✔️ and lots of humour ✔️

I adored it so much! Michael and Alex are so believable and lovable and I just couldn’t put this book down!!
Debbie
Sep 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars well deserved. Why does Goodreads not get on board with half stars already? Anyway......
I loved this one. It was cute, and such a perfect Autumn romcom situated in my favorite city, New York.
Alex wakes up after a drunken birthday night and comes to find out she's been dumped by Travis the guy she thought was the one again. She's also quit her job as assistant manager of the town bookstore and bought a ticket to New York City to become a writer.
Laugh out loud hilarious, the journey be
Kirsty
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
After a break up with her boyfriend and too many tequila shots, Alex wakes to discover not only did she drunkenly buy a one-way ticket from New Zealand to NYC to pursue her writing career, she also announced all her news on Facebook the night before, AND quit her job in the same post. So with no job or boyfriend, and a plane ticket purchased, Alex is off to the city dreams are made of - where she makes friends, finds a bit of luck, and fights for her own dreams of writing, love, the city and her ...more
Natasha B
Sep 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
When I first heard the premise of this book on the author’s Instagram, I was sold. 30 year old saying f it and moving to New York where she meets a sexy, slightly moody man? And it’s nice and steamy too? I’m in!

This was a quick, fun read. It might sound familiar - Alex is a blogger, wannabe writer and flees to NYC on a whim after breaking up with her boyfriend (similar to I heart New York), then along comes 41 year old, bearded, sometimes grumpy, Michael and he makes all the difference. I enjoye
Megan Doubrava
Sep 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited to get an ARC of Love in the City. Like the main character Alex, NYC is my very fave!! I love it so much!

When Alex turns 30 she realizes she’s wasted her 20’s and isn’t any closer to any of her dreams. On a drunk whim she leaves New Zealand and moves to NYC to pursue her writing career....NYC in the fall, come on! Dream come true! I loved Morris’s descriptions of the city and following along with Alex as she started her life there. Of course it didn’t come without it’s challeng
Alicia Crofton
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A New York enemies-to-lovers rom-com that will make you swoon... and suddenly randy for men with beards!

Alex leaves her small town in New Zealand to try her hand at being a writer in the Big Apple, only to find her plans in New York fall through (in the most epic way imaginable). She's broke and a little desperate, but luckily she meets some amazing friends who help keep her off the streets.

She also meets Michael, the big, brawny hunk of a man who keeps showing up around town. He's a grump at f
Diana Ellis
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow!! I have found one of my new favorite authors! Jen Morris has given us the perfect combination of romance, comedy and steam in her debut novel.
I knew when I read the synopsis of this book I was going to love it and I was not disappointed in the least! The premise is fantastic. Alex shows such courage moving to New York from New Zealand so she can make her dreams a reality. It is really inspiring to be able to go on that journey alongside her. Then there’s Michael....ahhhh swoon!! He is a won
mrsljgibbs
Sep 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well, what can I say, except that there are definitely not enough stars to be able to rate this book. In fact I have to say that it is the best book that i have read so far this year and I would definitely put it up there as one of my all-time favourite reads.......ever!!
I was extremely lucky to be involved with this amazing book right from the Beta read and then again with the Arc and as soon as I read it, I fell in love.
All-in-all it’s a perfect rom-com, with just the right amount of laughs, r
Kira
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book *sighs whilst clutching kindle to chest* It had everything a brilliant romantic comedy should have: romance (obvs), gorgeous characters, perfect moments of hilarity and to top it all off, it's set in my favourite city, New York.

You're introduced to Alex as she embarks on a life changing move to the city that never sleeps. There she meets the lovely Cat, fabulous Geoff and of course, the romantic hero to end all romantic heroes, Michael (this guy gave me serious heart eye emoji's I'm no
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Ever After Always (Bergman Brothers, #3)
  • Lindsey Love Loves
  • The Rules (Summer Nights, #2)
  • The Off Limits Rule (It Happened in Nashville, #1)
  • Home Is Where You Are
  • You Know it's Love (Love in the City Book 2)
  • The Catch (Summer Nights #1)
  • Always Only You (Bergman Brothers, #2)
  • Jingle Wars
  • The Enemy (It Happened in Charleston, #2)
  • Happy Singles Day
  • The Sweetest Fix
  • Only When It's Us (Bergman Brothers, #1)
  • The Match (It Happened in Charleston, #1)
  • Dear Santa
  • Bet The Farm
  • Thick As Thieves
  • They're a Match (Tough Love, #3)
Jen Morris writes sexy romantic comedies with heat, humor and heart. She believes that almost anything can be fixed with a good laugh, a good book, or a plane ticket to New York.

Her books follow women with big dreams as they navigate life and love in the city. Her characters don’t just find love—they find themselves, too.

Jen lives with her partner and son, in a tiny house on wheels in New Zealand.