Start by marking “A Match Made in High School” as Want to Read:
A Match Made in High School

A Match Made in High School

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  9,741 Ratings  ·  824 Reviews
When the principal announces that every senior must participate in a mandatory year-long Marriage Education program, Fiona Sheehan believes that her life can't get any worse. Then she marries her "husband": jerky jock Todd, whose cheerleader girlfriend, Amanda, has had it in for Fiona since day one of second grade. Even worse? Amanda is paired with Fiona's long-term crush, ...more
Published February 4th 2010 by Razorbill

Ari
Jun 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: by-color-pink

I don't know about you, but from time to time I like to curl up in my bed, with a cute book in my hands and not to think about anything - just enjoy it's cuteness.
Yesterday was one of those days - I was searching for something light and it was even more that what I've been looking for, because at the end of the day my cheeks hurt from so much laughing.

The story is somehow simple.
Step 1: Girl (Fiona) like the boy (Gabe). Girl thinks the boy might like her.
Step 2: Girl hates another boy (Todd
Jen
Sep 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
When I picked up this book at Border's the other day, I read the back and scoffed.

That's right, people. I scoffed. Rolled my eyes, even.

A required marriage course in order to graduate high school? That would never happen. However, I'd read several glowing reviews on the hilarity factor of AMMIHS, so I picked it up. I am so glad that I did. Fiona's voice is hilarious. I promise you that the novel actually contained the phrase "he reached over and honked her boob." LOLs aplenty! I enjoyed how ca
Ging
Jan 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
Mandy
Nov 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2008reads, debut2009
A MATCH MADE IN HIGH SCHOOL made me laugh-out loud a half dozen times-- in the first chapter. Fiona, the main character, is snarky and fun, and you'll love reading the story unfold from her point of view. Will she and her fake-husband ever learn to get along? You won't want to put this one down!
Shannon
Yan
Nov 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book was hi-freaking-larious! The traded insults, the clever pranks, the laugh out loud rants! I spent the majority of the time actually laughing rather than reading, but of course I did love the words, plotlines, as well.

I love the way the characters were done. In the very beginning you just couldn’t help but hate Todd and fall over heals for Gabe, the perfect guy. The transition from hate, to tolerable, to almost, dare I say, liked of Todd was impeccably done. A smooth ride, without a sin
Steph (Reviewer X)
Given the recent wave of people saying how fantastic this book is, I thought I should probably justify the low rating. I thought -- MAYBE some good can be done with this premise. But then the book itself played on stereotypes, unbelievable situations, and superficial character development AT BEST. The funny bits that everyone seems to be referring to are--what? Todd and Fiona's exchanges? That's the only thing I can kind of see, but even that is that sort of forced humor that, again, plays on un ...more
~Tina~
Aug 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I'm such a hard sell when it comes to the funny, but this book is Hi-freaken-larious!
My cheeks still actually ache from all the laughing and smiling I was doing. It has with out a doubt some of thee best slams, pranks and banter ever written. Seriously I don't remember laughing so much while reading a book. My kids thought I was insane.

I really related to this book more then I ever thought I would. For one, Todd and Fiona relationship/friendship is a lot like mine and my husband. We love to pick
Brooke
Apr 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Okay. SO. This one took me a little longer than it should have. I found it hard to get into, and I didn't really like the characters... at all... but once I got about 50 pages in, the gags started and the jokes just kept coming. It was funny! I'm not gonna lie.

I really enjoyed reading anything (and everything) to do with Todd. Seriously, that guy was gold. I loved the witty, snide remarks, and Fee's comebacks were very often just as amusing. Fee's voice felt quite real to me, I think the sarcas
Miriam
Feb 11, 2009 marked it as to-read
Shelves: ya, realism
My sister had to waste spend a year of high school in a Marriage Class. Before that I had never heard of such a thing. Her class seemed pretty stupid, but on the other hand she is happily married now, unlike her siblings who did not have the benefit of this course... Coincidence?!
♥ Sarah
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
description
You know there's something not quite right you end up liking the "antagonist"/side character more than the main character. I'm sorry, but hands down, I would have preferred to read about Amanda over Fiona, any day. The premise of this book was obviously interesting and fun, but totally cheesy. The overall story had a teeny-bopper, chick flick feel, à la the likes of: Mean Girls, and She's All That.

Except the geeky dork chick didn't end up with the dreamy douche jock.

First and foremost: Fiona, P
Alexandra
Review in russian: http://www.livelib.ru/review/541614

3 STARS (1/16)!

Okay, so this book was pretty predictable (but I can handle that, this is not a detective story, anyway), even though it was not typical.

But the first part was so annoying! Kristin Walker literally made me hate the main character (Todd) so much! His actions were so disrespectful to Fiona (plus, he didn’t even know her (at first)) and childish.

I understand that Kristin wanted to make Todd and his girlfriend Amanda (Popular-prett
Kristi
Nov 06, 2008 rated it liked it
I cannot express the awesomeness that is this book! It was so much fun! I could just read it again, and again, and again. It is just one of those books that makes you feel warm and tingly, it's entertaining, easy to read and fast.

This is one of those times, where you are going to want to make sure you have time to read, because you're not going to want to stop once you've started.

I do have to admit, when I started the novel I was a little skeptical. Right off the bat Fiona gets paired with the p
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
Feb 17, 2011 marked it as will-finish-later
Shelves: hot-guys, humor, i-own
Gah! I want this book. Right now.

*edit*
That's it! I'm gonna order it next month on http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/
Booknut
In the words of Mother Superior from Sound of Music "CLIMB EV-ERY MOUN-TAIN!"

Yes...this book was hard to start.
Yes...there were moments when I wanted to cry due to the sheer amount of teenage stupidity.
Yes...it was a hard climb.

But I made it. To once again quote Sound of Music:

Before I go into how this book went from 'someone shoot me' to 'I could turn this into Mean Girls 3', I want to go over a few of the flaws.

1.) "She was wearing the same tired beige skirt suit she wore to every slightly sp
Isamlq
Oct 27, 2011 rated it liked it
3.5/5,

A MATCH MADE IN HIGH SCHOOL is a pick me up. It’s ideal for another moment of me finding myself bored with the current crop of YA couples and their “Oh, I love you so’s,” because the two here are most definitely not in love each other. Rather, there’s an intense dislike that causes a series of pretty juvenile exchanges. Juvenile, but hilarious; it was the hilarity that ensued that made A MATCH simple mindless fun. Once again, I find myself experiencing that happy/goofy feeling that I get
Stephanie
This book was so good! It's been on my TBR for years and I'm so happy I finally read it. This book is so fun, cute and very funny. If you love contemporary, you should read it. Stay tuned for reviews on my blog and channel :)
Amber (Books of Amber)
This review was originally posted on Books of Amber

A Match Made in High School is a book that has been on my TBR for the longest time. I went through a slight phase of buying all the cute contemporary books that I could, because they're perfect for summer and binge-reading. I've been in a contemporary mood this month (the weather is starting to pick up so that's the probable cause) and so I went for AMMIHS first of all.

A Match Made in High School is an all right book. It's nothing mind blowing o

Yue
I blame movies like John Hughes's or "10 Things I Hate About You". Or books like "Much Ado About Nothing". You know the kind: romantic comedies, involving tangles, young adult characters, some misunderstandings, great background figures, etc. And I also blame that the system at my office was down, and this book was at hand, and it was reading this (and finish it) or doing nothing.

I am always looking for good YA romantic comedies. Was this YA? Yes, the plot develops in High School. Even if I fini
Adele
Feb 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
I needed to read a good contemporary YA novel like Kristen Stewart needs to smile...badly. It's with infinite gratitude that I give my thanks to the Book Gods and Kristin Walker for A Match Made in High School. It's fun, it's quirky, it's relatively unpredictably and it's full of bickering. Funny, somewhat risque bickering that made me what to track down a certain chap from over a decade ago and see if we could resume similar communications via Facebook. I know, I am sad...and kind of crushing o ...more
babyhippoface
Feb 11, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, humor
I bought this book because I'd read reviews that raved about how hilarious it was. Bummer for me.

The only parts I really thought were funny were those moments between Fiona and Todd, where they were sniping back and forth at each other, (and even those weren't that funny).

Major problems for me:
1] Most of the time I just didn't find Fiona to be likeable enough to really make me empathize with her. She tended to be more self-centered, self-pitying, and whiny, and thought she was superior to eve
Arlene
Sep 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Okay, I’ll admit... I didn’t like the storyline and most of the characters for a good part of the book, but then it had a turning point for me and I was hooked...absolutely hooked! I really didn’t see myself giving this book more than two stars; but as you can see, I was won over by the concept, characters and ultimate lessons I gleaned from this book.

Fiona’s narrative is sarcastic, harsh and downright funny. Her constant verbal sparring with Todd was hi-freakin-larious! By the end of the story
Katie
May 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
I thought this book would be really bad, but once I read the first two chapters it turned out starting to be really good. I thought at the end that it was only worth 4 stars.
What can I say I had borrowed this book from a friend of mine wanting a book to read and she hadnt read it yet so I went for it. And I did think that this was going to be a horrible book only thinking of a having one or two stars but I got into the book and thought it was HILARIOUS. I did not expect this book to be so funny
Lauren
Dec 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
A Match Made In High School was one of the most wickedly hilarious books of the year!

From page one, you are thrown into Fiona's grueling senior year. Fiona is a character that you are going to love, because of her tell it as it comes attitude to her comical side which has you forever laughing. Tod and Johnny are the exact same way, making the characters in this book a key part to it's greatness.

The plot was unique, because really have you ever read a teen book dealing with mandatory Marriage Ed
Sónia Salgado
Definitely fun to read, I thought for a moment that I had it all figured out for some reason and it surprised me because it went down differently. The main character pissed me off for a moment, I think it's awesome that she's so straightforward and she doesn't give a damn what people think about her, but she has no right to speak to people the way she does sometimes.
It was very fun to read though, and I did it in one sitting, easy and fast read.
Bookaholic (reads every mortal thing)
3.5

Sweet, light, a tad bit unbelievable, but fun. Fiona is quite an unlikable character in the beginning, but goes through some incredible character development.
Jasmine
Feb 23, 2010 rated it liked it
This was my second book for the 2010 Debut Author Challenge, and I actually bought this one. No more freebies, I got it in Chapters. :D Not that I did my famous PANIC LUNGE at the shelf when I saw it, or anything. Truly, I am so weird in bookstores.

Ahem. Anyways, I read it almost a month ago, and I have been very remiss about reviewing it. That's because I've been keeping it by my bed for cheerful reading before sleep. I can open it at random, read a paragraph or two, and always find something t
charlie ☾
"I wonder if true love is more subtle. If it sneaks up and just stands there next to you, and you don't recognize that it's true love until you turn and look at this thing that's been right there in front of you all along, and you realize that you never want to be without it."

At one glance, this seems like the typical girl-and-boy-hates-each-other-but-eventually-falls-in-love and I actually expected it to be. From the first few chapters, I expected Todd to reveal an ultimate secret why he's
Jenna
May 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: chick lit fans
EXTREMELY HILARIOUS. I had a gut-busting, knee-slapping, informal side-splitting moments reading this book. The story is simple, the concept of the plot is not complicated but the prose and characters were so much fun. Fiona, the protagonist was not the common pretty&talented-but-she-doesn’t-know-it never-been-touched girl, but she is the latter plus someone else entirely new. She’s hilariously real and confident and proud of who she is. She speaks her mind and she’s just so much fun. She’s ...more
Erin
Nov 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Why did I wait so long to read this book??? It was really the perfect book to get me out of my reading slump. It was relatively short, I started reading it yesterday evening and was done in about 4.5 hours.

What would you do if you were a senior in high school and in order to graduate you had take part in a marriage program that is set up by the school counselor, principal, and school board? So for an entire year you are forced in an arranged marriage with someone that you could possibly despise
Who was for Fiona and Todd? 1 4 Jul 16, 2015 07:01PM
@imarriage 3 64 Aug 09, 2012 04:59PM
  • The Naughty List (The Naughty List, #1)
  • Swoon at Your Own Risk
  • Boys, Girls and Other Hazardous Materials
  • The Karma Club
  • The Oracle of Dating (The Oracle of Dating, #1)
  • You Wish
  • Geek Magnet
  • Getting Revenge on Lauren Wood
  • The Geek Girl's Guide to Cheerleading
  • My Invisible Boyfriend
  • Shrinking Violet
  • The Cinderella Society (The Cinderella Society, #1)
  • Babe in Boyland
  • Love at First Click (First Kisses, #6)
  • I Now Pronounce You Someone Else
  • The Lipstick Laws
  • The Secret Year
  • The ABC's of Kissing Boys
Kristin Walker grew up in the Pennsylvania countryside, finally landing at Penn State where she earned a BA in Theatre Arts. In addition to being an actor, Kristin worked at many things on her way to becoming an author. She was a lifeguard, a nanny, a beginning ballroom dance instructor, a library circulation clerk, and very nearly a nurse. She's the author of the young adult novels, A MATCH MADE ...more

Young Adult Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • American Street
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Inexplicable Logic of My Life
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wish
    $5.67 $2.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Wednesday Wars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Immortal: Love Stories with Bite
    $8.99 $1.99
“I'm telling you, you really should stick to mating within your species, whatever that is.'

'I would,' I said, 'but unfortunately, there are no gorgeous, all-powerful, all-knowing gods around here. I'd even settle for a demigod. It's a step down, I know. But alas, there are nothing but low-brained mortals here. And half-brains, like you.”
131 likes
“I guess what I’m trying to say is, you just can’t tell who you’re going to end up with. You might spend your whole life dreaming about one type of person, only to find happiness with somebody completely different. Someone you figured you had nothing in common with just might turn out to be your dream guy. And you know he’s your dream guy because you become a better person. He brings out all these great things in you that you never knew or believed were there. And if you’re really lucky you do the same for him. It makes it even more incredible that people find each other, considering most of them are looking in the wrong places to begin with.” 85 likes