Start by marking “The Fair Queen (The Fair Chronicles #1)” as Want to Read:
The Fair Queen (The Fair Chronicles #1)

The Fair Queen

(The Fair Chronicles #1)

The trees in Hartwood forest are hiding an ancient secret, a door into a magical realm where fairy princes and monsters are one and the same.

Seventeen-year-old Aria Colling is bored of her small town and dreams of a life filled with excitement and adventure. She's about to learn you should be careful what you wish for.

After a chilling encounter at the local summer fair, Ar
Kindle Edition
Published August 31st 2020

To ask other readers questions about The Fair Queen, please sign up.
Lyndsey Hi, the audio book will be released this Autumn, hopefully October!

Start your review of The Fair Queen (The Fair Chronicles #1)
Aug 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
A wonderful and downright addictive portal fantasy.
Once I really got into it, I didn't want to set it down. And yes, I wish the sequel was out right now to dive straight into.

When seventeen-year-old Aria Colling is ripped from her normal small town life and dragged through the Veil into the Fair Realm, she's convinced she got caught up in some sort of twisted game. But the silver-eyed boy and his band of fairy soldiers who kidnapped her seem dead serious in their assumption she is a fairy princ
Julia Scott
Dec 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written and engaging story! Fantasy books often take me a while to really get into, but this one grabbed me from the start. Many elements of this story will be familiar to other books of its genre, but it sneaks in unusual aspects (without giving anything away) especially nearer the end which I loved! So if you're a fan of fantasy and elemental magic, you won't want to miss this! I'm very much looking forward to reading the sequel, The Solitary King, next year. ...more
Toya (the reading chemist)
Dec 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
I am always up for a good portal story that involves fae, so I jumped at the opportunity to read The Fair Queen. The story starts off a bit slow as the reader is introduced to Aria (and her best friend Jasper) who are looking for some excitement in their ordinary human lives at the summer fair. Things quickly escalate when Aria is kidnapped by these mysterious boys who claim to be fae and she is their long lost princess.

Once Aria enters the portal, the story kicks up several notches and it's non
Debbie Eyre
Sep 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a great story! It’s well written I found myself lost in the incredible world this author has built. It’s full of action and twists and turns and is very descriptive and dark. Theres mystery and intrigue and secrets and great characters. I look forward to reading more.
Noonecansinkmyship
Mar 01, 2021 rated it did not like it
Where do I even begin. Let’s go from what I found the most issue with. Alright so we go in expecting an adventure where the girl is going to fulfill the prophecy about her, help the starving disease stricken people, and rule all five kingdoms. Is that what I got? No. That is NOT what I got. I got a flop. There was this whole build up where she was determined to do whatever she could to help the people and then when the Salamander King asks her what else she heard from the other king, she didn’t ...more
Julia Blake
Mar 04, 2022 rated it it was amazing
An engrossing YA read which followed the usual trope of the “chosen one who doesn’t know she’s chosen” yet was still compelling and entertaining. Aria has no idea that she is the lost princess of a magical realm lying just beyond the reach of most mortals. No idea that is until she is kidnapped and whisked away on a terrifying adventure that throws one twist after another at the reader.

Well written and nicely presented, the author keeps the plot rolling along at a fair pace and never allows the
Elisabeth
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The story was everything I wanted to read in a fantasy book with such a beautiful cover. It captivated me from the very first page, I finished the book in one day! I loved the ambiance, the characters, the world building, the friendships that developed during the journey through the Fair Realm, and the terrifying folklore creatures along the way. I enjoyed the concept of the Five Kingdoms and was amazed how well thought out that whole world was. I also appreciated a very unique and satisfying ex ...more
Astrid V.J.
Jun 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Well that was an exciting read! I do enjoy a good portal fantasy set in the realms of the Fae, and Hall has truly created something unique. She’s twisted the folklore into something entirely new. Each time I thought I had the realm of fae figured out, up came another surprise. World building is always hard, and even more so with a subject matter so overused. Hall has really done a great job of making the known unknown and the unknown known—brilliant anthropology!

The plot was absolutely spellbind
Susan Stradiotto
Four solid stars for this sweet, twisty, turny portal fantasy. Note, it moves fast and there are lots of details to keep track of, but Hall does it in a fun, action-packed way. I may have to re-read to remember them all.

Aria is an easy to empathize with character, which makes following her journey fun. Lots of entertaining side characters too: Rainer, Jasper, Xander... Lots of fun and scary creatures (the solitary): a banshee, a hag,

This has a unique take on a Fae world. The Fair Kingdoms (the
Witch-at-Heart
Aug 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wonderful story this book is well written the world-building is very well done with vivid scenes that pull you right into the pages. This book also has very good character development it took me a bit to fully immerse myself into the book but after that I finished it in nearly one sitting.

I am so glad I found this book it was excellent. I received this book from Booksprout for an honest review.
Bekah Berge
Mar 12, 2022 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun read!! I zoomed through it and couldn’t put it down. Aria is such a fabulous main character. She’s feisty and independent, cares deeply for her friends and family, and goes on a wild adventure where not all is what it seems. I loved the twists and turns. The pacing was exceptional. The world building was rich with detail. I really enjoyed the writing and I’ve already started book two. Ah! Can’t wait to see what happens next.
Charli
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
** I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving a review.**
I loved this book! It was a little slow to start but quickly became very interesting and hard to put down. The plot twist was just...wow..... i did not expect that. I was very invested in this book and I really need a book 2.
Jo Narayan
Nov 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal!

This book is a must read for fantasy lovers. The prose is compelling and the characters are so realistic and engaging. The Solitary are especially interesting to me, and the different regions and their magics are super intriguing. I love the world the author has created and I seriously canNOT wait for the next installment!
Heather Bane
Sep 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading The Fair Queen. The story is well written with great character work and world building. From start to finish I was hooked. I would recommend reading.

Chrystal Lee Stevens
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a great story!

I loved Aria so much. She reminded me of Jude from The Cruel Prince so much especially the defiant human teenage girl attitude. I love the Fair Realm and the concept of the five kingdoms. I can't wait for book 2.
Dawn Milligan
Nov 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is well written and great world building! I enjoyed getting to know the characters and I look forward to more from an amazing new author! Great job!!
Vanessa Marie
Nov 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A MUST READ

I can't boast enough of both the literary merit and the spellbinding storytelling contained within these pages! Lyndsey Hall has crafted a stellar debut that you won't want to put down. "The Fair Queen," has earned a spot amongst my Top 5 favourite novels and I already can't wait for its sequel!

Lyndsey Hall, I commend you for taking a chance and sharing Aria's story with the world. I will be forever grateful that you did!

This novel is a definite MUST READ!!!
Jill Urbanek Gauger
Feb 14, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Twists and turns

This book had so many twists and turns it kept your head spinning. Lies, betrayal and family reunions.
I really enjoyed this book.
Elena Carter
Jun 20, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book!

Such an awesome journey, full of unexpected twists and turns.

A beautifully written page turner that kept me up late at night.

Really looking forward to reading the next one!
Madeleine Booth-Smits
Jan 21, 2022 rated it it was amazing
A journey of self discovery

A lovely debut novel about finding one's self. I enjoyed traveling through the different lands and discovering who Aria really is! A story of friendship, young love, devastation, fantasy and magical creatures and realms. Can't wait for the next book.
Leigh
May 06, 2022 rated it really liked it
What an adventure-packed romp. Great characters, love the description of the different realms. It very much felt like what it is - the first book of a series - and the end was a little rushed, but overall I enjoyed it.
Chad Barrus
Jul 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I was swept away by this imaginative tale and certainly want to read it to its conclusion as it has taken hold of me and I therefore cannot leave it where the story isn’t finished!

Aria is a “human” girl with no talents it seems until she attends a festival with her best friend and is confronted with a fortune teller who tells her some very strange things indeed. She meets some strange
boys who play an important role in what happens next and reminds us all that what people say just may not be rea
Meagan Poetschlag
May 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The Fairest of Them All

Aria grew up in a little town by the woods. Her life seemed to be going in the direction she always planned. Peaceful, normal small town life. But then a fortune teller at the annual town fayre changed her fate. Was she really a princess? How could that be?

Suddenly Aria is being taken prisoner and dragged through an invisible barrier into another realm. A realm filed with magic and fae people called the Fair.

In this terrifying new world Aria has no clue what or who to beli
Sarah Hill
Aug 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved this story! The book cover is what drew me in, so gorgeous! Being honest, it took me getting past the first two or three chapters to really get into it. No disrespect to the author, because it turned out to be one of my favorite indie reads. The beginning sounded a bit childish I guess, for lack of another way to describe it and it left me thinking, "Oh no, how am I going to get through this?" HOWEVER! I kept reading, because it was an ARC and I signed up for it. I am SO GLAD I did! Once ...more
Sophie Bohanon
Jun 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Hall did a wonderful job introducing Aria and her desire to get away from her hometown and be closer to her friend, something that I think a lot of young adults go through each year. I loved Aria's fire, her meticulous thinking to escape her captors, but also her shy nervous side revealed in the tender moments in the Realm. Then there’s the gnomes - handsome, witty, fun, but not powerless. They fight, they die, they put everything on line for her so they can return her to claim her crown. I was ...more
Paula Dyches
Jan 24, 2022 rated it really liked it
Kidnapped Fae YA Adventure

Parents- PG13- This is definitely geared towards the high school and young adult crowd.
Language: Oddly enough the only bad language was a handful of f-bombs and not much else (they really didn't even feel all that necessary just thrown in).
Violence: Fairly typical to genre but there are a couple scenes with enough detail that the squeamish may take issues with it.
Sexual Content- Naked Silkie (not a lot of details given), no sex scenes, LGBT relationships

The story was a
Alina Tache
Apr 01, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore this book! It has exactly what I want in a fantasy book: great world-building, well-defined characters, and a plot that is not see-through! The book starts in a small town, at a fair, where we meet Aria while she's hanging out with her best friend. Then her world turns upside down when she is kidnapped and dragged through a portal to... become a queen with magic powers. And then she goes through all kinds of adventures. Another nice aspect is that the book can be read as a stand-alone, e ...more
Meagan
Mar 12, 2022 rated it it was amazing
I am not well!

There are so many things I love about this book.

First of all I absolutely loved the world building. It wasn’t insane or overly complex. It was the right amount for f fantastical and believable. Even the political system in the Realm was perfection.

Lyndsey’s writing flowed so easily and it was perfect. Made for smooth reading and I honestly didn’t realize I had been reading as long as I had.

Aria is what I always imagine I would be like in a fantasy world. Just this side of doubtful
Ilona Nurmela
Can't put this down!

If you love LOTR, but where the Precioussss is a princess to be delivered through much peril to her daddy who hid her in the human realm as an infant, this one's for you! Elemental magic, enemies-to-lovers (well, it will be once Xander gets over himself), ahh, great stuff! Recommend for lovers of epic YA fairy-tales.

Merged review:

Can't put this down! If you love LOTR, but where the Precioussss is a princess to be delivered through much peril to her daddy who hid her in the hu
Sarina Langer
Feb 08, 2022 rated it really liked it
This is a strong debut novel by Lyndsey Hall! I adored so much about this:

I loved how Hall incorporated elementals into her fae realm, and I loved all the folklore that came with it. Hall has done her research and it shows! (not in an info-dumping way, though) It was interesting to read her take on people like the Gnomes and Salamanders.

It was also great to see a male-female friendship without any sexual tension. We need more of that. We need more of Aria and Jasper. I don't want to spoil anythi
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine 5 8 Jun 25, 2022 01:39AM

• Enchanted Waters
  • Once Upon a Name: Tales of the Strange and Unusual
  • Diary of a Shy Backpacker: Awakening Down Under
  • A Soul as Cold as Frost (The Winter Souls #1)
  • With the Fire on High
  • In The Haze
  • Wings of Deception (Kingdoms of Faerie, #2)
  • All Your Twisted Secrets
  • Between the Blade and the Heart (Valkyrie, #1)
  • Sea Witch (Sea Witch, #1)
  • We Were Liars
  • The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells: The Ultimate Reference Book for the Magical Arts
  • The Encyclopedia of Celtic Mythology and Folklore
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Witchcraft
  • Creating Character Arcs: The Masterful Author's Guide to Uniting Story Structure, Plot, and Character Development
  • Summer (Evermore Academy, #3)
  • Enchanted Forests

The Fair Chronicles (2 books)
  • The Solitary King (The Fair Chronicles, #2)