Start by marking “The Widow Catcher” as Want to Read:

(Delia Frost #1)

Delia Frost loves her job at the bank. She loves her customers, most of whom are elderly. She doesn’t love the idea of quitting her job to travel around Australia in a motor home with her husband who is recovering from a heart attack. And she can’t bring herself to tell him that she doesn’t want to go.

Days before she quits her job, she is invited to a book club meeting, ru
Published August 27th 2020

To ask other readers questions about The Widow Catcher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Widow Catcher

Start your review of The Widow Catcher
Linda Strong
Sep 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Elderly women are being found dead .... all by different means, all look like they could be accidents. All are widows. All are members of a book club, run by a local celebrity.

Della Frost works at the bank ... but maybe not for much longer. Her husband recently had a heat attack and now he wants to make the rest of his life memorable. He's decided that Della should quit her job and travel around Australia in a motor home. Unfortunately, she hasn't had the chance to tell him she doesn't want to g
Gary
Sep 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took me a short while to take to this but the more I read of this novel the more I liked it. By the end of the book I was wondering what other books had Jonelle Blake wrote.

Delia Frost is happy in her job at the bank and is not looking forward to quitting her job to travel around Australia in a motor home with her husband who is recovering from a heart attack. She wants to tell him that she doesn't want to go can't face it.
​Looking for a bit of time to herself decides to go to a book club she ha
Linda Strong

Mick Dubois
Oct 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Within the first pages, we meet an elderly lady who’s murdered by her young companion in an ingenious way. Everybody thinks she had a heart attack.
Then we meet Richard and Delia. Richard is recovering from a heart attack and has been given a motorhome by a well-meaning uncle. Now he has sent their children on European and African trips and he wants to travel around Australia for the next year with his wife. Delia is far less enthusiastic about this plan but is reluctant to bring it up. She enjoy
Janice Lombardo
Oct 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Delia and her husband, Richard, attend a dinner put on by Delia's workplace. Delia works at a bank. At 53 years old, she does have seniority, there. It is announced that a new position will be opening up. Her boss suggests a lot of those at the dinner should apply. Yet, Richard had suffered a heart attack 6 months ago and has since retired. Since he inherited a motorhome from his uncle, he wants to live each day to its' fullest. This on a year-long motorhome trip. He plans to rent out their hous ...more
Elvan
Dec 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, cosy-mystery
The Widow Catcher is well written. I would call it a cozy mystery more than a thriller.

Delia Frost is a middle aged bank teller who is having a midlife crisis. Her husband has inherited a motorhome from his uncle and has decided she should retire her position at the bank and travel Australia to celebrate his recovery from a heart attack. Problem is, Delia is not keen on the whole idea of retiring or spending more time catering to her needy husband, Richard. When a coworker invites her to his bo
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Celia’s life was just how she wanted it. A husband and a job at the bank was perfect for her life. Then her husband has a heart attack. After realizing how short life really is, her husband wants her to quit the bank and travel with him. While that idea does not resonate well with her, she decides to talk to a coworker who tells her about a book club. Not just any book club though. One that has elderly women turning up dead and a killer who has planned their every move. The characters are very u ...more
Riya Reads
Oct 04, 2020 rated it liked it
SHORT , COZY MYSTERY READ.
ALSO HAS a SERIAL KILLER ON THE LOOSE.

Delia Frost an elderly woman of fifty five who loves her job as a senior bank teller. Her husband Richard, who has recently recovered from a heart attack wishes to travel all of Australia in his motor-home with his wife. But Delia, is not willing to travel on wheels and leave her everyday life and secretly thinks its a preposterous plan as she hates the idea of traveling on wheels at that age.

Soon, there are mysterious deaths of el
Diane Hernandez
Feb 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
Perhaps it was my years as an Internal Auditor but it was obvious at first acquaintance which character at the bank was the bad guy. Be suspicious, very suspicious, of bank employees living beyond their means by way of unverified lottery winnings. However, I only suspected he was skimming money from his till. I never thought he was The Widow Catcher, a serial killer whose unusual method of finding his victims involved a famous, retired but invalided, actress running a local book club.

“Nobody tal
Sharon
Sep 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent tale and well told.

It’s the story of Delia, who works in a bank and her husband, Richard, who following a recent heart attack wishes to travel the country in a motor home he has been bequeathed. Unfortunately, Delia doesn’t share this dream and she’s also struggling with the fact that both her children have left home to go travelling, all of which has left her feeling a bit lost.

Then, a friend from work introduces her to a book club, old people start to die and Delia finds
Dawnny
Feb 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Delia's husband wants to enjoy life more after having a heart attack. He wants her to quit her job at the bank and travel in his motorhome. Delia isn't crazy about leaving. When a co worker invites her to a book club run by a actress things get way out of hand. Elderly widows are dying and Delia is pulled right into it. This was a good mystery suspense read. Alot happens and the plot was skillfully done. A great read.

Dawnny Ruby
Novels N Latte
Hudson Valley NY
Elizabeth Alford Wojtacha
"Delia Frost never makes a fuss. It said so on my employment record." ...

Well, Delia Frost is making a fuss now and it makes for an enchanting story full of mystery and fun! Although we find out who the villian is a little too early for my liking, this book was a joy to read.

Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and author for providing me with an ARC of The Widow Catcher.
Christine Davies
Delia is a senior teller at the local bank. Her husband wants to spend 12 moths touring Australia in the motorhome that was left to him by his uncle. She doesn't want to go! So much to organise, so much to leave behind. Delia is invited to a book club & the world changes dramatically. Is there a serial killer or not??
I enjoyed the book but felt it was all a bit rushed. The story is good but I wanted more suspense. Worth a read though.
Molly
Oct 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Police / military procedural fans, psychological thriller fans, action and romance fans
Recommended to Molly by: Booksprout Amazon Bookbub
Delia Frost has no desire to drive around in a motor home for a year with her still recovering from a heart attack husband Richard.

To him, it sounds like a trip full if freedom and fun. To her it sounds like the “gift” ffom an uncle to her husband is just one more way that Delia will get stuck cooking and cleaning all the time, but jammed in a really small space with her husband

Maybe it should finally be time for Delia to speak up.

But that is not the first thing to happen. And a whole lot of c
Bev
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have-read
I really enjoyed reading The Widow Catcher. This is a murder mystery written in a unique story form. Delia Frost is a bank teller. Her husband had a heart attack a few months earlier and now wants to go traveling in a travel trailer that someone gave him. Even though this was Delia's idea, she really doesn't want to go. It means she would have to quit the job that she loves, and she really doesn't know how to tell Richard, her husband. When Andrew, another teller at the bank she works invites he ...more
Billie
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a brilliant read.
Wonderful well written plot and story line that had me engaged from the start.
Love the well fleshed out characters and found them believable.
Great suspense and action with wonderful world building.
Can't wait to read what the author brings out next.
Recommend reading.

Alexa
Dec 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
❤️ Review time! ❤️

I enjoyed this quick paced read. It reads almost like a cozy but is a little more dark than a normal cozy. It is told from one point of view and has quick chapters. It kept me interested even though about 60% percent into the book you know what's going on and who done it. I recommend to anyone that likes cozy type thrillers.

Delia is a mom, wife, and Head Teller at a bank. Her husband wants to go on holiday and she's dreading it. She doesn't want to leave her job. Her co-worke
Pauline Ryan
Sep 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Widow Catcher

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, the characters were very believable and the story was intriguing. Thought I knew who the killer was but got it completely wrong. Just couldn't wait to find out who it was.
Heather W
Oct 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Widow Catcher is an interesting read. I enjoyed reading this mystery story. Unfortunately, the killer is revealed too soon, but at least their motive was not. The characters are well depicted and the story did keep me engaged from start to finish. This is the first book I have read by this author and I would like to read more of her work.

Brenda Moser
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a well written book with strong characters and an intriguing story line. The author does a great job keeping you glued to the pages with the mystery , suspense and murder. She adds a bit of humor and paints her scenes perfectly. The story flows fluidly and is an entertaining read.

Kristen
Oct 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A seemingly innocent book club gives way to a plot to kill. The main character, Delia Frost, fits perfectly into the story with her rule following traits and the way the author fits her into the book club plot helped to build up the suspense as to how much it will take for her to stray from her ingrained personality traits. This story was a bit of a slow burn for me since it does take a while to get to know Delia but after that it was more of a page turner and I wanted to find out what happened. ...more
Christina Burrus
A good mystery, murder story with lots of suspense!!! This book was a page turner and I really enjoyed it!!! I look forward to more books by Jonette Blake!!!

Kay
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book and will certainly be looking at others by this author. It kept me totally gripped from the first page to the last. A really enjoyable, fabulous read and I have no hesitation in recommending it. Thank you to BooksGoSocial and NetGalley for this advanced copy. Excellent read.
Nicole
Oct 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
It took me a while to get into this, but I’m glad I stuck with it. Super twisted, interesting tale of betrayal and revenge.
Jim Phillips
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A very good mystery with a well paced storyline and a great cast of interesting characters. This crime fiction story contains blackmail, murder, humor, and suspense. A very enjoyable read that was a real page turner. Highly recommended who done it with a decent plot.
Jane Pettitt
Feb 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
I loved the book a nice mystery, Della works at the bank and loved by all. Her husband just inherited a Winnebago so life is going to change, a road trip, Delia doesn’t want this she likes her life but wants different things invited to a book club by
Her co worker , she finds them a little odd but on the way out Karen hands her a envelope with money
And numbers. Members of Gabe book club are dying, could she be next ? What does she know or what she doesn’t know. Enjoy
Shelly
Jan 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
The Widow Catcher had such a strong blurb that I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. The idea of someone targeting elderly, vulnerable widows is intriguing all on its own. Delia represents a lot of women I know -- they have spent their entire lives caring for their families and have lost their sense of individuality. Delia has repurposed her motherhood responsibilities into her younger coworkers, so it's understandable that she'd want to join the book club when asked to attend.

I enjoyed the su
Faye Ridpath
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a great mystery.

I kept turning the pages to see where this was going.

It also had some humor which I loved.

I read that this author's books are standalones, but I'd love to read more about Richard and Delia so I hope the author considers a sequel.

Thank you Netgalley for the opportunity to read this book.
Jenn
Oct 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. Delia Frost is happy with her job and her life until her husband has a heart attack and decides they should travel Australia in an RV. She is invited to join a book club that she reluctantly attends. She gets drawn into a mystery that is either real or the figment of an elderly woman's imagination. This book dragged at the beginning and took almost 40% before I got into it. The writing style is kind of dry and I didn't really like the main character. But after the halfway point I was ...more
Ghada
Sep 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
#TheWidowCatcher #NetGalley
Thanks NetGalley, BooksGoSocial and Jonette Blake for a copy to review.

"For the rest of the day I thought of kittens. Rainbows. Unicorns. Cheese platters. Sunsets. Walks on the beach. Wisteria in bloom. To picture these was to invite a smile, and I was thus able to smile at customers all day long. Yet, as the clock drew closer to five the images changed. No longer sweet kittens but vicious, feral cats. Storm clouds. Dishes piled in the sink."
I couldn't really categor
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Shadow Man
  • A Dark and Secret Place
  • Single Mother
  • Death in Tranquility (The Bartender's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • Symphony Road: A Shane Cleary Mystery
  • The Silent Wife (Will Trent, #10)
  • The Assistant