Start by marking “Crogan's Vengeance (The Crogan Adventures #1)” as Want to Read:
Crogan's Vengeance (The Crogan Adventures #1)

Crogan's Vengeance (Crogan Adventures #1)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  318 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
"Schweizer's cartoon-style characters are minimalist in nature, and quite delightful. Detailed illustrations of scenery appear in some panels, showing Schweizer's versatility as an artist." - School Library Journal

"it's great escapist fare for boys" - Booklist

The debut volume in an ongoing series of historical adventures focusing on the various branches of the fictional Cr
Published August 10th 2010 by Oni Press (first published October 22nd 2008)

Shawn
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I loved the premise of this series. A dad try's to teach lessons to his two sons by telling them stories of their distant relatives and how they had to go through some relevant adventure. Not only did I love the premise but also the execution. This is a really good swashbuckling tale of pirates and morality. I must recommend this.
Scott
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
Great flow to the story, with a charismatic lead. Having the 'true story' aspect makes it more engaging, with relatability to the young kid hearing the story about his ancestor. The illustrations are well done, the characters easy to keep track of. I want to read more in the series!
Blessedharvey
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who\ think revenge is the answer.
Recommended to Blessedharvey by: I recommended to myself.

Crogan's Vengence
BY:Chris Schweizer

In Crogan's Vengence by Chris Schweizer, the story line is very simple. Basically, there is this guy named "Catfoot" Crogan who is enslaved on a ship until pirates come aboard and stab their captain. That's when Catfoot jumps overboard and promises he will have vengence.Through the plot events, we see the author's message that vengence is not the answer. We understand this theme through events such as when Catfoot seeks revenge by going to find Tom Dander who
Apr 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
It starts a little moralistic, but quickly gets past then an on to an gripping adventure on the high seas. Crogan is a young sailor who's persecuted for his family history by an insane round-head captain. Soon, their ship is attacked by pirates and Crogan makes some decisions that save himself and the crew, but have troubling implications further along the story. There are lessons to be learned here, but they aren't simple or sugary. People get hurt and people are killed. These are pirates, not ...more
Cynthia
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not usually into "cartoony' art. But that's why I subscribe to Comic Bento. So I can get comics that I normally wouldn't pick up for a great price. So the art wasn't my taste, but the story definitely was.
I really liked the adventure that took place in this book. It was fast-pased and the characters, especially Catfoot, were well developed.
I also really like how there is an entire series based off of a family tree of Crogan ancestors. The modern day Father tells his sons these stories to te
Tom
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun, all-ages book about a young man who finds himself a pirate and has to live the swashbuckling lifestyle with some sense of honor he never had before. As told by a father to his son, apparently there have been Crogans having adventures for centuries. Catfish is just one of them, and this was simply a fun book put together well.
Brian Rogers
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Another pull from the graphic novel section of the library, another light, fun read. Schweizer's artistic stylings are solid, wit nice clean line work and good panel composition. The idea of a series of these familial historical vignettes is deeply appealing, especially if they are all as good as this one.
Will Read
Apr 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, childrens
Nicola Mansfield
Dec 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Reason for Reading: Cybils nominee.

Summary: The first in a proposed series to chronicle the adventures of the fathers and sons of a family throughout history. This book tells the story of how "Catfoot" Crogan became a pirate, starting off as an honest sailor.

Comments: This is a book for boys; there is not a single female character in sight and that's all right because the world aboard a 1701 English sailing ship is no place a woman would be found. All the horrible aspects of sailing life are exp
Sarah Sammis
Dec 30, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cybils, read-in-2010
Crogan's Vengeance by Chris Schweizer is the first of a planned sixteen volume graphic novel series that covers the adventures of the Crogan family through three centuries. This volume was short listed for the graphics novel category for the 2009 Cybils. I read it as a panel judge.

At first I was excited to jump into the book. It's a nice hard cover with an obvious pirate theme as shown by the artwork on the cover. Although the series is aimed at boys, I grew up reading pirate stories, watching p
Mandy
Mar 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Eric find himself in trouble because of going back to fix a problem he and his friends caused at a neighbor’s house. As he talks to his dad about it, his dad shares a story about one of their ancestors, Cat-Foot Crogan, who faced a similar dilemma…
The captain of the ship Cat Foot Crogan is shipmate of has a grudge towards Crogan because he and his grandfather had political differences. The captain constantly accuses Crogan of being arrogant and mocking him when in fact, Crogan does all he can to
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
Swashbuckling action on ships in the 1700s Carribean, evil pirates, and some good pirates with ambiguous moral choices, a lightfooted hero, and a few sharks and storms at sea... this book has everything you need in a graphic novel about pirate adventure!

Crogan, a simple sailor with a good heart, is pressed into a pirate gang and has to keep his wits about him to stay on the winning side when pirates turn against each other.
I love the artwork (very comic style), and the action, but the characters
Jacki
Dec 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Summary: To entertain and illustrate a moral to his young son, a father tells the story of their ancestor Catfoot Crogan, a turn-of-the-18th-century pirate! Crogan begins as an honest sailor but is impressed into a pirate ship's crew, where he witnesses all manner of bloodshed, mayhem, and mutiny.

Verdict: It shivered me timbers! That's fake-pirate-talk for, awesome!

Yay!: Crogan could kick Jack Sparrow's butt all the way to world's end. The art is black and white but easy to follow. Somehow it ma
Erin Kelly
Jan 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone, especially fans of historical fiction
Shelves: library
The only thing I liked more than Crogan's Vengence is the concept of the series: a man with a very extensive family tree telling the stories of his adventurous family to his kids. There's a definite "moral" or "lesson" in this book, and I'd assume it follows in the later volumes of the series (note from the future: it does), but it was handled well without being too heavy-handed.

Crogan's Vengence specifically concerns one of the earliest members of the Crogan family, the pirate Catfoot Crogan, w
Paul
Jan 13, 2009 rated it liked it
I'm intrigued to see how this series develops, as this first volume concerns a pirate, but the overall series is to deal with the Crogan family throughout history...rogues and adventurers all. It's a massive undertaking that Schweizer has set his sights upon, and this first volume really has a lot of promise for the future.

Needs to smooth out some of his transitions, as there were probably seven or eight sections of the book that leapt about a little too precipitously, including one that may we
Bryson Kopf
Aug 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in what will hopefully be an extensive series; the framing device is a father tells his children about their adventurous ancestors, and valuable lessons their lives illustrate. In Vengeance, we meet 'Catfoot' Crogan, a sailor who is forced into piracy by some really horrendous bad luck. From here Crogan has to make some terrible choices, but always stays true to trying to do the right thing, which pays off in the end. There are lots of fun sword fights, crazy storms, and p ...more
Khairul H.
Apr 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Rollicking adventure of Catfoot Crogan who reluctantly became a pirate in the 18th century. This is the first of a sixteen volume series chronicling the adventures of the Crogan men (and only men) as told by the present-world Dr. Crogan to his sons. Oh, there's supposedly a moral to all the stories but I hardly noticed what with all the buckling of swashes, firing of cannons and stabbing of a shark. Well the moral was that even when you're in dire circumstances you must still do the right thing ...more
Dani Shuping
brief notes for bigger review later (maybe): this is the first book in a series about Crogan's family and it's framed as a father telling his sons aspects of the family's history. It does have some morals to it, but mostly they're morals about being true to yourself (or in the case of pirates being true to the code.) The characters are well rounded and the story is engaging, especially to young male readers (there aren't any female characters, but that's to be expected due to the time period and ...more
Zanne
May 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
They change the format of the book. I find for myself that the format of the book can influence the read. In this case they downgraded the book from hardcover beautiful matching hard cover to paperback. I guess to make up for the fact that it is now full colour they had to decrease the cost of the book exterior. Personally I wish the book was in the old format hardcover and black and white. The fact that I was unhappy with the format has influenced my enjoyment of the read.
Jessica
May 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, ms, historical, es
A fun historical graphic novel series for about 4-7th graders. Each book in the Crogan Adventures tells the story of a member of the Crogan family - Crogan's Vengeance concerns a pirate. This one was my favorite and in my opinion the most fun. Each title starts with the present day Crogan kids fighting or something of that nature, and their father tells them a story about their ancestors (who were all somehow super interesting guys!).
Jeanne
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
I'm not a fair judge because I am not a fan of graphic novels. However, I read this one because I wanted to decide if it needs a YA label. Booklist says grade 7 and SLJ says grade 8. It's a little violent (a hateful minister is killed by pirates), but not worse than what kids see on television. There is also one crude reference to a mother. However, I would not consider this a "high school" book, so I'm going without the YA label.
M.
Sep 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Randomly picked up a couple from this series off the Cincinnati Library shelves. I absolutely love the art style and found the stories to be compelling and impressive without feeling too stylized in any specific genre. I guess these read between historic fiction and action adventure, seemingly aimed at upper teens. Worth reading for anybody who likes adventures.
Joan Lloyd
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
When I was a kid, I lived comic books. Loved them, and spent my allowance on one or two a week. Now they are called graphic novels and, sadly, I just can't make them work for me. I guess a really good story written (and I use the term loosely) in this form might just capture my interest. This ain't it!!!
Shannon
May 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Young Shannon would have gobbled up this whole series. I picked this up because one of the newer books was an Eisner nominee this year and I figured I'd start at the first book. A bit violent for my 2nd/3rd graders, but nothing excessive, and the pirate does try to do the right thing as much as a pirate can.
Craig
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a very fun story, and well drawn. The story is told mostly through text (character words); but the pictures definitely enhance the story nicely.
It is a dad telling his son the story of one of their ancestors who became a pirate. Specifically about how he became a pirate.
it was a very enjoyable telling, well worth reading. I will be reading more of the "Crogan" tales.
Nicole
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Initially I thought this graphic novel would be a turn-off for me because of the illustration style - black and white with thick black lines, and picture frames that are almost taken over by the drawn text. HOWEVER, the story was incredibly engaging, the artwork was strangely compelling, and I can't wait to read the next volumes in the series :)
Anna Kim
This is the start of a great series. I recommend this for anyone looking for a good graphic novel kids who are in upper elementary to middle school. From what I can tell of this book and the second in the series, Schweizer embeds different character lessons, but he does so without being preachy. The stories are action-packed, but full of depth and each character is rounded out nicely.
Nick
Aug 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The first in a potential marathon series, Crogan's Vengeance is a fun, swash-buckling affair, that captures the spirit of the children's tale it proclaims to be, while offering enough gritty violence to satisfy adult readers, with some wild-timed humor to boot.
Oct 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
My students recommended this one. Our school librarian recommended this one. I didn't care much for it but it's good for a graphic novel. I guess I don't expect an enjoyable experience with graphic novels.
Cait
Aug 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I had the pleasure of meeting Chris Schweizer at 221B Con in Atlanta, so I had to find the first of his graphic novels in this series and check it out. I love his style and the historical background of the story. I'll be seeking out the other books in the series in the near future!
  • Daisy Kutter: The Last Train
  • Salt Water Taffy, vol. 1: The Legend of Old Salty
  • Solomon's Thieves, Book One
  • The War at Ellsmere
  • Polly and the Pirates, Volume 1 (Polly & the Pirates, #1)
  • Marathon
  • Gladstone's School for World Conquerors
  • Victory (Resistance, #3)
  • Satchel Paige: Striking Out Jim Crow
  • Miss Don't Touch Me, Vol. 1
  • Northlanders, Vol. 3: Blood in the Snow
  • Bayou, Vol. 1
  • Set to Sea

Crogan Adventures (3 books)
  • Crogan's March (The Crogan Adventures #2)
  • Crogan's Loyalty (The Crogan Adventures #3)