Start by marking “Notes from a Young Black Chef (Adapted for Young Adults)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Notes from a Young Bla...

Kwame Onwuachi

Notes from a Young Black Chef (Adapted for Young Adults)

This inspiring memoir, now adapted for young adults, chronicles Top Chef star and Forbes and Zagat 30 Under 30 phenom Kwame Onwuachi's incredible and odds-defying fame in the food world after a tough childhood in the Bronx and Nigeria.

Food was Kwame Onwuachi's first great love. He connected to cooking via his mother, in the family's modest Bronx apartment. From that spark,
Expected publication: April 13th 2021 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Notes from a Young Black Chef, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Notes from a Young Black Chef

Start your review of Notes from a Young Black Chef (Adapted for Young Adults)
Tara Weiss
Jan 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
To make consommé, a flavorful but clear broth, a chef must balance the flavors of the initial stock. Then, as it simmers, they remove anything that would muddy the clarity of the soup that remains. Egg whites are used to catch the bits of additives so the chef can effectively remove the raft that rises to the top. I've never seen a more powerful metaphor for the process of self discovery, especially when a chef needs to find their culinary story. Concentrate your point of view, remove anything t ...more
Patti Sabik
Oct 22, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
I very much enjoyed this YA adapted version of Onwuachi’s memoir and believe it will make a solid contribution to my middle school biography collection. I’m always searching for stories that provide hope, enthusiasm, and a hearty dose of strong work ethic. This doesn’t disappoint. Onwuachi recounts his beginnings with an honest passion for cooking and a love for his craft.
Jenny Ashby
Jan 25, 2021 rated it liked it
I vaguely remember Onwuachi from his season of "Top Chef" (as much as I remember any reality show contestant) and I like hearing about how people ended up excelling in their fields so I was immediately interested in his memoir. The reality of his story, however, left me less enamored of him which is often the case for me when it comes to biographies. The reality of a person is often disappointing after only seeing the public persona. The years of drug use (although not an addict) and selling mad ...more
Alicia
I knew I had to read the adapted version of Notes from a Young Black Chef: A Memoir when I saw it on Netgalley because I adored the adult version. The book streamlines the content into chapters that share a chronology of Onwuachi's life by instilling a message of exploration, family, and longing for something that he eventually attained in becoming a chef.

He was a contestant on a cooking show, created and made the dishes for the opening of the Smithsonian Museum for African Americans in Washing
Arlen
Nov 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Notes from a Young Black Chef (Adapted for Young Adults)
by Kwame Onwuachi
Pub Date: 13 Apr 2021
Read courtesy of http://netgalley.com

Kwame Onwuachi had an unusual amount of changes and chances in his life; some he could control, and others were beyond his control. But he used resilience and ambition to find his way from the streets to the sweets to the beets and meats, and his story is a wonderful example for young people to read about someone who chose not to be a victim of his circumstances.

As
Kathy Meulen Ellison
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the young readers’ version of the book by the same name and follows this Top Chef alum from his early childhood in the Bronx and Nigeria and onto his early successes at the CIA and then in the world of fine dining. Onwuachi pulls no punches when describing the overt racism and subtle microaggressions that he experienced while climbing his way to the top. He names names. He even riffs on whether strong leadership in the kitchen has to be demeaning towards others. The descriptions of food ...more
Kara
Dec 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This adaptation is great! I truly hope more people write memoirs for young adults. Kwame’s story is one I think a lot of kids can relate to, and his pride is also an attribute to highlight. I find that this doesn’t glorify kitchen life, but shows the reality of becoming a chef and the grit needed to succeed. I think it’ll be a great window for kids to see a potential career opportunity. And the stories were funny and personable. Overall an enjoyable read!
Tara
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received an arc of this title from NetGalley for an honest review. I watched Kwame on Top Chef and loved this glimpse into his live as a young black chef beyond top chef. Great read for ya and adults.
Great Books

• Lycanthropy and Other Chronic Illnesses
  • Clap When You Land
  • Unsolved Case Files: Escape at 10,000 Feet: D.B. Cooper and the Missing Money
  • The Sea Is Salt and So Am I
  • The Gilded Ones (Deathless, #1)
  • Year of Wonders
  • Unplugged
  • The Awakening of Malcolm X
  • And Now You're Back
  • The In-Between
  • The Good War
  • The People We Keep
  • One-Bowl Meals: Nourishing, Delicious, Complete
Kwame Onwuachi is the executive chef at Kith and Kin and owner of the Philly Wing Fry franchise in Washington, D.C. He was born on Long Island and raised in New York City, Nigeria, and Louisiana. Onwuachi was first exposed to cooking by his mother, in the family’s modest Bronx apartment, and he took that spark of passion and turned it into a career. From toiling in the bowels of oil cleanup ships ...more