Start by marking “Hide and Seek (The McLaren Mysteries Book 12)” as Want to Read:
Hide and Seek  (The McLaren Mysteries Book 12)

Hide and Seek (The McLaren Mysteries Book 12)

Playing a mystery game seems the perfect way to celebrate Jamie Kydd’s promotion to Detective Sergeant rank. But the game turns real when a body turns up in the pretend crime scene. Perhaps worse than spoiling the party, the corpse is someone Jamie knows. Even though the police take on the case, Jamie asks his friend, former police detective Michael McLaren, to also invest ...more
Published (first published June 30th 2929)

To ask other readers questions about Hide and Seek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hide and Seek

Start your review of Hide and Seek (The McLaren Mysteries Book 12)
Linda Strong
Nov 28, 2020 rated it really liked it

Jaymie Kydd has been promoted to Detective Sergeant, one that's been long in coming. His partner has planned a terrific event ... there are two bodies (mannequins) lying in the back yard. There are clues and evidence, just as in a real murder. All the guests must try to come up with the best scenario in order a win a grand prize.

Jamie asks his friend, former police detective Michael McLaren to join the game. When McLaren takes a walk in the backyard, he finds a third body .. only this on is not
Naturalbri (Bri Wignall)
This is such a well-written mystery. It has a great selection of characters, and carries on in the same writing style, as the others in the series. This book makes sure to really set the stage, in a fun way, that soon turns bleak.

From the moment that the body is discovered, you are taken through twists and turns, trying to guess who it could have been and why, but you are forever kept wondering, as just when you think you’ve got it, something comes to light to prove you sorely mistaken.

I reall
Dayna Linton
Oct 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You know the old adage, “You can’t judge a book by its cover”? Well, as a book producer, I usually can, and regularly do. If I see a book that doesn’t have an appealing cover, I usually won’t read it. But that would have been a mistake where Hide and Seek is concerned.

The story starts with a dinner party gone awry when a game of whodunit turns up with a real-life, or should I say, a real dead body at the fake crime scene, and the victim is the brother of the hostess of the party.

The host and hos
N.N. Light
The McLaren series is one of my fave mystery series on the market today. This is the third book of the series I have been blessed to read. Hide and Seek is one of the best mysteries I have ever read.

If you want a classic British who-dun-it then this book is for you. I have read/watched more than 100 mysteries (probably close to 500) and invariably I can know who did it within 20% of a book. Hide and Seek had me guessing all the way. I never knew who did it until it was revealed. That is the sign
Gina Stamper
Mar 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Book 12? Where have I been. The description let's us know it can be read as a stand-alone and I did read it that way. It works. You will definitely want to go back and read the rest after reading this one though, it was fabulous!

I just loved the way Jo A. Hiestand wrote the story. She really lays it out in such a clear way yet the reader is so very entwined in the story and mystery from page one. You're lost in that aspect but completely clear on the setting and characters.

It's mystery done ri
Samantha Turley
Mar 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Kudos to Jo A. Hiestand for managing to catch my attention from the very start. Not only this, but it didn't let up, I was submersed.

The writing is tight and well constructed with a great pace set throughout that stays steady. It made for a book that allowed me to keep flipping the pages.

I liked the main character a lot and I think that added to my involvement of the story as a whole.

This book has a lot to offer and touches on so many topics, you get more than just a straight mystery. Plenty
R.K. Emery
Mar 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Definitely a great read! A brilliant story with plenty of thrills and action.

This is a mystery at its best. I love getting lost in a mystery book and this was no exception. I enjoyed the one that Jo A. Hiestand created.

With not just a great main character,m but a great overall cast. At the heart it is a true mystery feel.

A fast moving mystery with plenty of conflict and even lighter moments and comedic relief.
Jeanne Richardson
Jan 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is the 1st book I've read written by Jo A. Hiestand; she has done a great job at writing a good book; I can’t wait to read more of her books.

Victoria Jackson
Feb 17, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Hide And Seek. It is set locally to where I live which I think always helps my enjoyment of a book. I will be looking at reading further books in this series in the future.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for my ARC.
T.P. Warren
Dec 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I haven’t read the other books in the McLaren Mystery series, but I plan to. This installment was unputdownable. I LOVE a good British Mystery and Hide and Seek did not disappoint. The author makes the setting come alive with words. The killer is delightfully evil and there were plenty of twists and turns. The police work sounds authentic and well-researched. A page turner from beginning to end.
C. Gonzales
Feb 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Well, I read this in one sitting. It grasped my attention from the start and didn't let go. Plenty of mystery and suspense. It was quite fast paced and had plenty of detail along the way.

Jo Hiestand is a great and descriptive storyteller who knows how to hook her reader. Don't miss it!
Ally Swanson
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Turn off BBC and one-click “Hide and Seek,” for an ace British Mystery!!!

This book is such an engaging, entertaining, intriguing, mysterious, suspenseful, thrilling read!!!

I really enjoyed teaming back up again with one of my favorite English Investigators, McLaren!

This is the fourth book I’ve read and enjoyed from the accomplished author, Jo A. Hiestand. So, I was thrilled to get the chance to read her latest work – “Hide and Seek,” which is Book Twelve in the McLaren Mysteries Book Series.

Jo’s
Kathy
Aug 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
McLaren is back but the tables have turned a little. The tough cases are in someone else’s backyard for a change. McLaren’s mate Jamie is being promoted and they’re having a party. While it might be the surprise of a lifetime it most certainly is not the one they were planning.

Another great Michael McLaren story. My favorite character is back mending stone walls and helping people solve crimes; people that really need help. And yet, someone is lying; you know how mysteries are...someone is alwa
Meaghan Hurn
Hide and Seek is a well-written mystery with a great selection of characters that sets the stage for murder and mystery!

You are taken through twists and turns, trying to guess who it could have been but you are never right! Hide and Seek flows well, is believable and very intriguing. If you are a fan of mystery, you'll love this series.
Brenda
Virginia
Debbi  Wellenstein
Mary Cloud
Sep 06, 2020

• Insights into Influence: The Strategies, Tactics, and Secrets of World-Class Leaders and Social Scientists
  • The Moreva of Astoreth
  • Modern Day Shaman®
  • Friday Nightmares
  • Communicating Through Change
  • The Book of Bastards
  • Journey to Hope (The Hope Trilogy Book 2)
  • Black ≠ Inferior
  • Taming Wild Horses
  • Joyous Lies
  • Sins in Sunlight (Of Courts and Desires #2)
  • Caffeine & Nicotine
  • 7 Minutes to Freedom: Simple Writing Meditations to Liberate Your Writing and Your Life
  • Snowflake
  • Middle Ageish (Starting Over # 1)
  • A Song For Another Day
  • Ghosts of Guatemala
  • Larceny at the Library (A Washington Whodunit #6)
Jo A. Hiestand is the author of two British mystery series. While this may not seem so unusual, Jo was born in -- and still lives in -- St. Louis, Missouri.
To get around the technical difficulties dictated by living in one country and writing about another -- especially about police procedures and crime detection, of which she has no personal experience -- she travels to Britain every few years fo