Start by marking “We Will Be Watching” as Want to Read:
We Will Be Watching

We Will Be Watching

Another tale of toxic colleagues and a company away day that turns into a nightmare - though with very different results!
Kindle Edition
Published August 27th 2020

Start your review of We Will Be Watching
Marilyn
Sep 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Four co-workers are "lucky" enough to attend an escape room game when there is a last minute cancellation. But this is an escape room game with a very mean streak. When all is said and done, this escape room game doesn't really have an escape. Creepy, dark, claustrophobic and a sense that it will never be over. Thank you to Ruth Ware for this short story.

I downloaded this free story from Ware's website.

Published August 27th 2020
Maureen
Nov 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A cancellation slot at Lord and Lady Remington’s Masked Ball escape room, looks favourable for newly promoted office manager Carol, this London attraction is so popular that it’s difficult to get a booking slot. A corporate away day for her team will be fun, but more importantly it will provide a spot of team building, a chance for them to bond. I’m not entirely sure that any of them actually wanted to bond, (well not with Carol) but anyway, Carol has managed to get this rare cancellation, so bo
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
Sep 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill by: Javier
Whoa...this short story is ALMOST perfection! This story had it all. It was tense, creepy and riddled with twists and turns. It literally caused me to have anxiety as I anxiously awaited what was going to happen next. Very atmospheric, especially for us that don't like to be in closed spaces.

Although it was brilliant and clever the very end did have me debate between 4 and 5 stars. If the story would have ended just a couple pages earlier.... Since overall I thought is was a bunch of flipping fa
Dita has the 'rona!
Speaking of bad reviews, this short story was woeful.
preoccupiedbybooks
A creepy, tense and claustrophobic short story about a team building trip gone wrong...

Lana and three of her colleagues sign up for the hottest escape room, 'The Masquerade Ball.' They soon realise that if they want to get out, they will need to deal with the secrets in their past.
description
We Will Be Watching was a very quick and entertaining short story, it was only 49 pages on my phone, and took me about an hour to read.

I have always been wary of escape rooms, so had not participated in one yet, and no
Debra
Sep 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ruth Ware puts her own twist on Escape rooms in "We Will Be Watching".

Talk about team building gone awry.

Coworkers are given a fun opportunity - to go to the hottest escape room experience in town! It's been given rave reviews on TripAdvisor and due to a last-minute cancellation, they are chosen to participate! Lucky them!!

But they are not feeling so lucky once the door closes and ...well, none of them will be singing "Hello, darkness my old friend"

Will they survive the escape room? Will their
Jayme
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
They were THRILLED when they were able to grab a last minute opening at a
5 ⭐️ rated escape room, for their company team building event.

And, the theme of a masquerade ball, sounded exciting too. 👺

But, when the lights went out, and the game began, they started to question if THIS escape room had really been the best choice.

I have NEVER wanted to go to one, but, if I had to..I am bringing Lana!

You can read this short story by signing up on Ruth Ware’s website! Enjoy!
Michael David
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been to two escape rooms so far, and the scariest thing to happen was someone passing gas, and me not being able to pinpoint the culprit...although I had my suspicions. 🕵️‍♂️

Things are much scarier in this claustrophobic and creepy tale of a company outing to an escape room. Each of the four have a secret. As the lights go out and they search for clues with faltering candlelight, will they be able to escape before their secrets are revealed? 🕯

This is an atmospheric tale that I would love
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
Leave it to Ruth Ware to ratchet up the tension even in a short story!! I enjoyed this story much more than last year’s “Escape Room” novel which I thought was long and drawn out.

Escape rooms are popular here. My daughter has gone on several and enjoyed them. I’m a bit claustrophobic so I would never try one.

Well the members of this company don’t have a choice. One of their co-workers has signed them up at a highly rated escape room as a team building exercise. Well team building is definitely n
Tamar
Sep 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh gosh I loved this, and I love Ruth Ware. This story is available for download by signing up at this link: https://ruthware.com/download-free-st... - Thank you Ruth Ware for a delightful experience.

I flew through this story, enjoying it as much as I enjoyed the closed elevator scenes in The Escape Room by Megan Goldin. Introducing four employees of McCann Fisher, participating in what you might call a team-melding experience. They are scheduled to take part in a masked ball at Lady and Lord Re
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
I LOVED this short creepy story about coworkers who got more than they bargained for when doing a team building event at an escape room. I would love to read full length similar stories! I’ll be thinking about this one tonight for sure!
TXGAL1
Nov 18, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Who likes escape room challenges and/or team building exercises? Ruth Ware’s WE WILL BE WATCHING YOU uses an escape room challenge as a team building exercise in her short story.

A newly appointed head of marketing, Carol, signs up her team to experience an exclusive escape room challenge to build better communication, to think clearly in a stressed environment and to creatively solve encountered tests.

Carol’s team includes Lana, Alistair and Ravi. They are operating under a one-hour time constra
Javier
Aug 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Four colleagues go to an escape room as a team building activity and if they wanna get out they must confront some of their deepest secrets. After “One by one”, Ruth Ware nails it again with a story about toxic co-workers trapped by their own secrets. Fun and claustrophobic short story that made me think twice about going to an escape room.
Sam Quixote
Nov 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
Lana and three of her fellow office workers embark on a team-building exercise in an escape room called The Masked Ball. But as they progress, the rooms become smaller and the dark becomes darker - and they realise that the clues are highly personalised, revealing shameful secrets about each of them. What is this escape room - and will they ever get out…?

We Will Be Watching has a lot of potential in its premise - I was hoping it’d be a Kafka-esque nightmare, a more claustrophobic modern-day hau
Marilyn
Oct 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I allocated four scary, on the edge of your seat, creepy deserving stars for this short story by Ruth Ware! The story captured my full attention from the very beginning. The characters in We Will Be Watching You were well thought out and developed. It was fast paced and had lots of twists and turns as the plot took shape.

A group of four co-workers found themselves making their way toward the building that housed The Masked Ball of Lady and Lord Remington’s Escape Room game. Supposedly, this was
Chris
Oct 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Christine
Nov 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is so much tension and suspense packed into this novella! I was able to download the story for free from Ruth Ware's website and I'm so glad I did. This is an escape room like no other and I really enjoyed this fast-paced story from one of my favorite authors.
Hitessh Panchal
Aug 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Okay ... this was a short one and a good read.

Theme remains the same
1. Organizing people at a single venue.
2. They all have something to hide about their past
3. At-least one of them has phobia or dwell in psychosis.(claustrophobic in this one)

The Plot was different and I liked it.

This is my second short story by Ruth Ware and i must say that she is in becoming of Jeffrey Archer. Looking forward to more of this kind in future.

Karine
Sep 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes, the smallest gifts are the best ones.
And this is a very nice little nugget, to read in one evening before going to sleep.
It is tense, dark and has a very gothic urban legend feel to it. A tale that will haunt my mind for some time. I really liked the ending that wrapped it all up in a perfect way.
Well done !
Kristine
Sep 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok! So I knew this was a short story...but I still wanted more!! 😁❤️📚
Stacey
Sep 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Just the right amount of claustrophobic creepiness in this short story (get it for free from Ruth Ware’s website) but the ending was a bit too abrupt. I wanted to know more and expected more to happen. A good, quick, chilling read.
Renee Haug
Intense middle but the ending was not satisfactory.
Amber
This was a pretty good horror short story about 4 co-workers who go to a creepy Escape room not knowing what lies in store. Will they survive? Read on and find out for yourself.

I got this for free for joining author Ruth Ware's email newsletter and it is a pretty good horror short story. If you like her work, be sure to check it out for yourself.
sarah✨
Sep 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-story
another great book club short story
it was tense, mystery filled, i wish the ending had a little extra twist but other than that it was great
Bethany Blake
Aug 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love most books and stories by Ruth ware and this one was no different.
What’s the Best way to spend an hour waiting for the movie to come on at a drive-in theatre? Why yes, the answer is in fact reading this short story. Time well spent. Totally got lost in this and was actually irritated when the movie started and I had like 8 pages left.

BUT DAT ENDING DOH.
Why you do me like that Ruth. Whhyyyyyy.
Tanaya Deshmukh
Sep 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a fast read, it took me only half an hour to complete. The story is about office colleagues who go to an escape room for a fun filled activity. Things start spiralling down when this place does not seem to be as fun as they had thought it to be. After reading this I am sure i will never visit any escape rooms ever.
I will not talk much about the plot as it being a short story, as little as I say will be better. Anything else will be a potential spoiler.
The end is open to interpretat
twiinklex
Nov 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are only three rules.
1. You may not remove your masks – doing so resigns your invitation.
2. You may only go forward, never back.
3. Like Cinderella, your time is limited. But where she had to leave the ball before the clock struck midnight, you must enter, before the clock strikes thirteen.

We Will Be Watching is about four colleagues who participate in a mysterious escape room on a corporate day. But things quickly take a sinister turn and with everyone having something to hide, will
Lili
Sep 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Anya
Sep 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short..but good! I'm not going to ever try an escape room!!!!
Elyse
Lovely little chilling escape room short story.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Gift (Hush collection)
  • Treasure (Hush collection)
  • Let Her Be (Hush collection)
  • Slow Burner (Hush collection)
  • Death By Scrabble
  • Buried (Hush collection)
  • The Drowning Kind
  • The Man in the Box
  • The Haunting of Beatrix Greene Episode 1 (The Haunting Of Beatrix Greene, #0.1)
  • Hold Your Breath
  • Two Truths and a Lie
  • Goodnight Beautiful
  • The Nesting
  • Invisible Girl
Ruth Ware grew up in Sussex, on the south coast of England. After graduating from Manchester University she moved to Paris, before settling in North London. She has worked as a waitress, a bookseller, a teacher of English as a foreign language and a press officer. She is married with two small children, and In a Dark, Dark Wood is her début thriller.

Find her on twitter at www.twitter.com/ruthwarew