Start by marking “Burn” as Want to Read:
Burn

Burn

It’s true what they say: Money changes everything. And in Linda Howard’s red-hot novel Burn, the changes come fast, furious, and filled with the kind of sexy suspense, heart-stopping romance, beautiful people, and risky business guaranteed to give you the most bang for your buck.

Money certainly changes Jenner Redwine’s life when she wins a lottery jackpot. But it also cost
Published July 7th 2009 by Ballantine

To ask other readers questions about Burn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Burn

jenjn79
Jul 28, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommended to jenjn79 by: previously read author
Rating: 2.5 / 5

This book started off really good, but then stumbled most of the rest of the way. At least for me. After reading the first chunk of the book, I thought I was really going to like it, but then it pretty much completely fizzled. I found myself bored through most of the middle and toward the end. I was really tempted to set it aside and read the new Karen Rose book.

In Burn Jenner Redwine is your average lower-middle-class young woman. She's working a dead-end job just to make ends me
❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️
 photo 5ae020b0bd3ce802ee52bdb758d240be_zpsvpc0wnc6.jpg

7.30.18
Revisiting an old LH favorite.....

photo 18F711EC-70D7-4E6A-886B-3096C655CC85_zpsfpvnuk1x.jpeg

Originally read: June 2011
4.5 Stars!! Linda Howard is one of my all time favorites, I really enjoyed this story. I love that LH can incorporate humor, suspense, and romance in her books.
Jane Stewart
Fun escape. Good mix of characters.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
Great character development for Jenner. She didn’t have an advanced education, but I loved her intuitive smartness which guided her actions and helped her make smart decisions about a number of things. Great plot development. Great emotional pull. Romantically there’s anticipation and clever dialogue. I was laughing and chuckling many times – sometimes at the clever banter, other times because I was surprised at something unexpected happening
Vintage
Audio book...

Another suspense/thriller from Linda Howard with a feisty heroine and an even feistier hero.

Jenner Redwine, now that's a name I can remember, won millions and millions of dollars and is now friends with a born-rich girl's name I can't remember. They are each kidnapped right before the maiden voyage of a luxury cruise, The china had never been used. The sheets had never been slept in. Now where have I heard that before?

Anyhoo, Jenner has a surprise for her male captor Cael. She is a
Holly
Dec 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Jenner Redwine knew winning the Mega Millions lottery was going to change her life. But after her ex-boyfriend tries to sue her, her father robs her, and her best friend ditches her once the gravy train has been cut off, she's not entirely certain it was all for the best. Cutting her ties to her former life, Jenner tries her luck in Florida and enters the fringes of the Palm Beach elite, guided along by Sydney Hazlett. Seven years later, this former meat packing worker turned multimillionaire is ...more
D.G.
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
**2.5 stars**

This book has the most annoying heroine in the history of heroines. Who the hell sasses up kidnappers? Yeah, I got it. They kidnapped you, and scared you so now you want to make them pay. But could you be less annoying about it?

Pretty much nothing happened in this book as the hero's job is to watch the bad guy. You can imagine how exciting that was. Most of the "excitement" consisted of the heroine trying to annoy the hero for kidnapping her. I really don't know how she could have
Bren
I love Linda Howard’s books so this one was disappointing .

This book is about Jennifer Redwine, A young hard-working girls who works for the local meat packer in Kansas. Then she wins the lottery. No spoilers here… Not yet anyway… The premise is actually very interesting as is Jennifer.

I mean let’s face it there are not to many of us who will win the lottery and I’ve often wondered what it would mean if I did or if people I know did. What would that mean for us? How would our lives change? How w
Jonetta
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jenner Redwine wins the lottery and it changes her life in unexpected ways. People she once considered friends showed her different sides, forcing her to take control of her life and money. She creates a new identity in Florida and finds a new best friend in Sydney Hazlett, an heiress who talks her into accompanying her on a special cruise. It ends up being the cruise from hell when both are held against their will and Jenner is forced to be the "girlfriend" of one of the captors.

Jenner's spunk
Lisa
Jun 26, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a pretty middle-of-the-road book. The premise was great, but the delivery just didn't live up to that potential. I had trouble connecting with both the main characters and their romance felt unfounded. So while there wasn't anything about the book that really pissed me off, there wasn't anything I loved either so it averages out to a "meh" rating.

(view spoiler)
Pat Cromwell
Feb 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
When I first started reading BURN, with each flip of the page I kept thinking about that damn Blair from Drop Dead Georgeous (Jenner - the heroine in Burn HAS to be a clone of that despicable Blair!). I thought "Oh Lord, Linda has jumped the shark!". But, being a die hard Howard fan, I refused to put it down, figured it was my fault the book sucked because I was comparing every word to thoses she penned in Death Angel. I remained faithful. Half way through the book, suddenly everything shiffted. ...more
Anita
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
There are few authors who can "set the stage" like Linda Howard. Her background for Jenner makes her cynic attitude believable. Cael is so intriguing, I haven't been this taken with a hero since Kell Sabin. When I finished the Kell Sabin - Rescues books I really wished for more. Burn is so like those books, I just love it. Unfortunately, the romance is not of the very hot, sensuous variety that Linda Howard can write so well. That is a big disappointment.

Jenner, Chicago a meat packer living pay
fleurette
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I started this book two or three years ago but the first 25% were so slow and boring that I just couldn't finish it. Now I gave it a second chance and after the first few chapters the story was much better. Still, I would like it to be less Jenner introspections and more action. The plot and characters were nice.
Mara
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I did laugh a lot reading this book. But as soon as I put it down I realized how flimsy it is. The plot is pretty much unbelievable, you need to go undercover from the bad guys, not as a rule of thumb. And the kidnapping was way over the top to achieve what was needed. Above all you can't believe that the kidnapped or their families wouldn't retaliate or wouldn't go to the police because they were seeing with you and so go unbelieved. Wth?

Reading I simply enjoyed the banter, but like jenjn79 I t
Diana Parker
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fast read...good characters....would read more by Linda Howard.
Tina
May 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
I had this book originally tagged as romance but I think it is more appropriate as a thriller/suspense romance hybrid. I think people who are looking for straight romance will be a bit disappointed with the fact the the main female & male characters don't really "meet" until about 1/2 into the book.

The book take place in three acts.

The first act is the fairly straightforward story of a decidedly working class, blue collar meat packer named Jenner Redwine who has a deadbeat boyfriend, a con a
Becky
Sep 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love Linda Howard books for a reason, and that reason is CHEMISTRY. Man, can this lady write a great romance novel! The chemistry between the characters burns the pages up and the character's senses of humor are out of this world - I ended up laughing out loud throughout the whole book. Favorite line of the book went something like: "when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the ground the Devil must say "oh $*#& she's awake!!".

I myself also love a book where somebody ends up winni
Julie
Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
This one was more like the Linda Howard I was used to. She did a good job of making you see the down side of winning the lottery. We saw the hassle of it and how friends can turn on you quite suddenly in those circumstances.
Once we have all that established, the mystery, suspense develops. Some of it was silly. I don't think a citizen, even if they were in extreme danger would have been handcuffed and held hostage against their will. But, the romance had to develop somehow I suppose. There were
Jacqueline J
seemed like two separate books. The first half was interesting with her winning the lottery and how she learns to deal with that. Then suddenly it is romantic suspense. The whole first half of the book had nothing to do with the second half except to set it up so she's rich enough to go on the cruise. So that could have been done with a paragraph of "Having won the lottery.." and on with the story.
Pamela(AllHoney)
I really liked it. Compared to her other works it did fall a little short but still much better than a lot of stuff out there today. I could have done without the "flashback" to 7 years before but I understand why the author put it in there. It just went on too long for my personal taste. I wasn't real pleased with the ending either. I felt it got wrapped a little too quickly.
PastAllReason
Jul 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2009, fiction
Her best book in quite some time. I read it in one afternoon.
starsaga
Jan 23, 2013 rated it did not like it
Ghastly, minus stars???
This is the worst book i have ever read. Don't buy it, don't read it, just.......don't have anything to do with it.
Rhonda B
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: linda-howard
Linda Howard is one of my long time, go-to authors who never let's me down. She mixes a bit of intrigue with a mystery and LOTS of steamy romance thrown in.

THIS book had me turning pages to figure out what was actually the plot but the way Linda writes holds my interest for more....

Take a woman held captive by a handsome guy for no apparant reason but to use her suit on a cruise ship to keep tabs on the neighbor. Is her captor a good guy or bad......read to find out!!!
Eve
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
The characters were intriguing and interesting, the plot should've been fast-paced and interesting, but instead it was just kind of boring. Why? Ms. Howard's main problem with this book is that the story-telling switches so often from character to character that the reader becomes omniscient. You know exactly what Cael and his team are doing on the boat, you know where his intentions lie, and why he kidnapped Jenner. But you get to read page after page of Jenner musing over just these questions. ...more
Darcy
Mar 11, 2010 rated it liked it
Jenner is like a lot of us, working to pay the bills and just barely staying ahead of them. Then one day on a lark she buys a lotto ticket and much to her surprise she manages to win a super jackpot. With the new money Jenner realizes just how much her life is changing, her old friends and people either expect her to pay for things or are jealous of her. Getting sick of this she makes a change in her life. Fast forward 6 years and Jenner is living in Palm Beach and living the life of all the oth ...more
Amy
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romantic suspense readers
I thought this book started off a little slow--I know the first few chapters that introduce us to Jenner Redwine and show us who she is and how her life was affected by winning the lottery were necessary but I kept wanting to get to "the real story." And once it jumped to the seven years later, I was definitely more captivated--both by the budding romance between Jenner and Cael and by the intrigue of what Cael was doing and what was going to happen to everyone on the cruise ship. I like Howard' ...more
Marta
Aug 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Although Burn is not heavy on romantic tension, it does a wonderful job of creating a fun chemistry between lottery winner Jenner and her kidnapper Cael. For anyone thinking : "Ugh, a kidnapping story", rest assured that Burn is not about that kind of kidnapping. Jenner is basically a captive in plain sight on a fancy cruise ship. She is in the middle of all the stereotypical activity, and she is a feisty pit bull of a woman.
One thing I enjoyed was how very little emphasis was placed on Jenner's
Holly
Sep 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
I've been disappointed in most of LH's more recent releases, but I was pleasantly surprised with this one. It reminded me quite a bit of All the Queen's Men. Kind of light on the romance and heavy on the storyline, but still oddly satisfying.

I was concerned that the resolution between Jenner and Cael wouldn't be quite satisfactory, but I was pleased with the way it turned out. I felt we got to know both characters and they worked well together.

The storyline was interesting b/c it took place almo
Natalie
Jan 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
Didn't like this one much - too implausible (yeah,I know...it's a romance!!!) and the pacing was weird - too much detail in some places and not enough in others. The author mentioned the heroine's "small but perky breasts" way too often, and testicles, she mentioned testicles a few too many times (it's such a weird word, I think once per book is enough, or none per book would be better.) I listened to this one and that's another problem. The woman who read the audio just dropped her voice down a ...more
Eclectic1 Fais
Aug 16, 2009 rated it it was ok
Sandra Knapp
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I give this book a big thumbs up!
At first, I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy this tale at all, but when I found myself suddenly laughing out loud, I knew immediately that it was the right thing to at least read a bit of it first before condemning it. I am so glad that I did. A very good story, and very nicely told.
Linda Howard Book...: February's Book of the Month-Burn 46 18 Mar 09, 2015 05:55PM
Marmara 1 14 Oct 31, 2014 03:51AM

• Ice Blue (Ice, #3)
  • Pursuit (Jessica Ford, #1)
  • Death Echo (St. Kilda Consulting, #5)
  • All Night Long
  • Eyes of Fire
  • Undercover Lover (Covert Attractions, #2)
  • Dark of Night (Troubleshooters, #14)
  • Extreme Danger (McClouds & Friends #5)
  • Shadow Dance

Linda S. Howington is an American best-selling romance author writing under the pseudonym Linda Howard. After 21 years of penning stories for her own enjoyment, she submitted a novel for publication which was very successful. Her first work was published by Silhouette in 1982. She is a charter member of Romance