Start by marking “Echoes of Blood (Rift Cycle, #2)” as Want to Read:
Echoes of Blood (Rift Cycle, #2)

Echoes of Blood (Rift Cycle, #2)

it was amazing 5.00  ·  Rating details ·  28 ratings  ·  22 reviews

Let’s play a game.

This isn’t revenge anymore.
This is a revolution.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Dystopian Earth buckles under the gods’ wrath while two mirrored souls seek reason and revenge.

Kyder is the boss of the Apolli, the most notorious gang on the planet. Rune is a recruit at the Four Towers of Ma’at, a military academy. They were born on opposite solstices in a world where s

Published October 1st 2020 by Independently published

To ask other readers questions about Echoes of Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Echoes of Blood

it was amazing Average rating 5.00  ·

Start your review of Echoes of Blood (Rift Cycle, #2)
Ash Knight
Oct 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is definitely a Halo Scot masterpiece. I thought book 1 was mind-blowing. Not. Even. Close.

This story continues with the Roofer and Soldier Rune fighting one side of the Rift and Murderer and Psychopath Kyder fighting for the other side. But, of course, they are madly in love. Because I need romance in my novels and Halo brings it, even if it's with a side of skinned human used as a flag.

Beneath the war and fighting and death and brutality, there is a major theme of love and need and truth
A.C. Merkel
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Let’s play a game.

I smile at you as you sit at the end of the bar. A sickly sweet smile. The kind you can’t trust. Much like this book. I nod toward the broken boy. He’s nursing a whiskey. (And a crowded mind) He’s already too far gone. Too broken to change. What? You believe in him? Good. He needs that.
-He’ll only disappoint you-
She walks up. You believe even further. She is light. She cannot be tarnished.
-Keep hoping.-
You were always hopeful. Hypocritical, because you want the blood. It’s w
Lali Love
Nov 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
WOW! Halo Scot delivers another brilliant masterpiece!

Since reading the first book in the Rift Cycle series, “Edge of the Breach”, I became a huge fan of Author Halo Scot. She has introduced me to the world of Kyder and Rune, with outstanding worldbuilding that transports you into another complex dimensional reality of heart wrenching survival, violence, and ultimately, the truth of love.

Halo has totally surpassed my expectations with “Echoes of Blood” with her incredible, powerful storytelling
Mario
Oct 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My mind swirls with images of lands uncharted, conflicts begun and resolved, words of wisdom uttered by mere humans who struggle to survive. Such is the effect of reading Echoes of Blood by Halo Scot. As one who looks away when violence invades the screen or infiltrates a storyline in books I read, I am astonished at the power of Halo's narrative to guide one through that which is painful and unpleasant. Her author's voice leads the reader into a complex world and yet more complex characters. Se ...more
Anya Pavelle
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“Echoes of Blood” is just as beautiful and gruesome as “Edge of the Breach,” Halo Scot’s first novel in the Rift Cycle series. For some reason, I thought of the Targaryen family motto, “Fire and Blood,” when reading this second installment. Admittedly, “Echoes of Blood” is only one word off from the Targaryen family motto. That said, Halo Scot’s book also starts off in a hail of fire. More specifically, the reader is ushered into a brothel with Julian Kyder in Zawad, Antarctica, during the middl ...more
Ross Young
Dec 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The saga of Kyder and Rune continues in violent, horrific, and awe-inspiring form. Echoes of Blood delivers and raises the game to even more dizzying heights. This is a book that will hold you tight, and hold your eyelids open while you endure the terror of the characters within BUT there is a tender core beneath all of the madness. This is a story of broken people, and people going through the process of being broken and reforged once again.

I loved the creative use of 4th wall breaking by the

Someone help me 😭

RTC
Morgan Tanner
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well, yet again I have been blown away by Halo Scot. Yes, this sequel certainly delivers.

I find myself often saying I’m not really into fantasy novels – I don’t want to get tarred with the elves and pixies brush – but when the fantasy is this dark and depraved, how can I deny it?

Quick recap, and if you haven’t read the first book there may be some spoiler-ish moments here.

Sira Rune, Julian Kyder; these two are ice and fire really. Born at midnight on the solstices, giving them exceedingly powerf
Jacob Klop
Oct 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Echoes of Blood, the second book in the Rift Cycle, expands on Kyder’s and Rune’s relationship with each other, and their impact upon their respective environments. Julian Kyder is still ruling the Apolli, and his influence throughout the city is growing. Torture, manipulation and sex are his tools. You know the drill. And Sira Rune is a soldier now, and she’s still the only person that can keep Kyder in check.

I thought the first book in the series was amazing, and I’d have been happy for more o
M.E. Aster
Oct 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Let’s play a game...do you think I can sum up how much I love this book in words? That’s right. I can’t.

Halo Scot blew my mind with Edge of the Breach, but Echoes of Blood makes that book seem like child’s play. I am always nervous about sequels, but Scot executes the second story in the Rift Cycle with a skill that I am envious of.

Following where book one left off, we get to see Kyder and Rune grow both separately and apart. In fear of spoiling it, I won’t talk much about what happens but I w
Che
Jan 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
After barely surviving book 1, this book succeeds to shatter what was left of my poor heart. Soooo many things happens, this series is not a fairytale, not an epic love story. Its brutal and raw completely f*'ed up but oh so captivating.

I might write a better review at some point, at this moment I cant really put into words what this book did to me.

There's two more books left in this series but I need a little break before continuing, cause I am continuing I'm in too deep now to stop. Kyder ha
M.L.
Oct 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Finished the book about two minutes ago. What an emotional roller coaster this book has taken me on! So exciting, so emotional! I loved every second of this book. I seriously tried to savor every page, but I wanted to race to the next page too much to tarry. At times I cried so much I couldn't see the words. At others the action kept me on the edge of my seat. I can't wait for the next book! Thank you Halo Scot for always providing us with more entertainment than we expect! ...more
S.P. O'Farrell
Jan 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
* ELMO FIRE GIF *
Rory Michaelson
Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The breach welcomes you back into its jagged embrace. Right from the beginning, you're back on that knifes edge between loving and hating Julian Kyder. Not that you straddle that blade, you've already been sheared in two.

Intricate world building, an exciting magic system, and characters with depth and texture make every gruesome twist and turn even more riveting. At times, Scott's gleeful and unique blend of shock and poetic brutality makes me think of Jay Kristoff's NEVERNIGHT.

Scott gives a con
Sahreth Bowden
Dec 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
To say this story is not for the faint of heart would be an egregious understatement. Following in the footsteps of Book 1 (Edge of the Breach), 'Echoes of Blood' is an emotionally turbulent ride where inner darkness and outward trauma battle for the characters' souls. Keep in mind that neither book holds shock value. You may be shocked for sure, but the absolute horrors therein all serve a vital role in the character/world development. And just when I think the author can't hurt me anymore...

Th
W. Wright
Oct 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a five star adventure. But it is #grimdark.
Now, I will tell you all things, yet nothing. Let me share my emotional journey...

At the EDGE OF THE BREACH Kyder's demeanor is shifting. It concerns me greatly. A cold chill consumes me. I must look away, and break away from the rift cycle. Knowing Kyder it will only add to the Echoes of Blood!

Echoes of Blood ring within my mind. Kyder taunts me every damn step of the way. Forced to witness his debauchery. I am but the reader. I can't stop wh
Lauren Jade Case
Nov 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Is it possible this book was even better than the first?

I still love Kyder and Rune definitely grew on me throughout this book. There were moments that made me cringe and laugh and everything in between. Every time these character talk to us, the reader, I can really believe I’m there - even if I want to slap Kyder sometimes for saying I don’t pay attention, like how dare he!

The ending truly shocked me. The first “twist” I could see coming yet was still so happy that it did - the way it happened
A.E. Faulkner
Oct 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This second book in the Rift Cycle series is AH-MA-ZING! I will admit there was a section that I found VERY difficult to read, but the stellar writing and worldbuilding kept me turning pages. I am waaaay too attached to the characters but I'm relieved that there will be additional books in this series.

***NOTE: This series is classified as grimdark. If you decide to check it out, please read the author's note with the book description to understand potential triggers.
Jonica
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Through violence to sanity.

There's a lot of blood, gore, sex, drugs, and violence in these books. Take all that away and you still have a solid romance. Glimmering through the violence and seed there are pearls of wisdom. "Hate is easy. Love is hard. Because love makes us vulnerable." It took me twenty years of therapy to get that through my head. Vulnerability is strength, not weakness. 5 stars
Samantha Kroese
Dec 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brutal but amazing!

Once again Halo delivers a brutal violent world torn apart by an apocalypse. Kyder and Rune are back and neither will be the same. The reader won't either. Unexpected twists keep the reader guessing. I think this one is even better than the first and looking forward to more! Highly recommended if you can handle dark things.
Julia Cowan
Oct 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m rapidly becoming a massive fan of Halo Scot’s writing. This book is every bit as good as the first. I don’t what to give any spoilers but the Kyder/Rune storyline was what I’d been waiting for!

I eagerly await book 3! This is an outstanding series!
M.J. Falke
Nov 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Holy crap...wow...Just wow.

I thought book one blew my mind but Halo has taken things to a whole nother level with book two. Will update this review when I've had more time to process but just...Wow.
Chulu
Oct 24, 2020
Halo Scot
Aug 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Eric Williams
L DeLong
Oct 13, 2020
Tiina
Oct 16, 2020

• Deep: The Embers of Life (Deep #2)
  • The De-Coding of Jo: Hall of Ignorance
  • Chasing Ghosts (The Quentin Strange Mysteries, #1)
  • The Gravity of Shooting Stars
  • New Men: Bonds of Brotherhood
  • London Calling (Lady Dreamscapes Book 2)
  • Lesser Known Monsters
  • Deep: The Climb of Truth
  • Body and Soul
  • The Joy of I.T.: Infinite Transcendence
  • Oil and Water
  • Her Name Is Murder
  • Witch vs. Witch
  • Dark City (Tales of the Shadow City #2)
  • Hyena Boy (The Neva Aton Collection)
  • The Moon Hunters
  • Coming About: Life In the Balance
  • The Unspoken: An Anthology from the Ballad of the Mind
NEWSLETTER: haloscot.com/news
WEBSITE: haloscot.com
SOCIAL: @halo_scot (Twitter + Instagram)

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Halo Scot is the author of the Rift Cycle—a grimdark, science-fantasy series with psychological horror, mental illness, and LGBTQ+ themes—and a founding member of QueerIndie.com.

A LETTER FROM THE AUTHOR:

Hey there,

I’m Halo, a Renaissance soul. I bushwhack my way through life — n

News & Interviews

“It’s the apocalypse, but we’re still here, huddled on top of an upside-down world, waiting for the end, not realizing we’re in the epilogue.” 2 likes
“The gods aren’t done till tragedy becomes ordinary, till catastrophe becomes routine, till man becomes apathetic. Even war can be comfortable. Even war can be excused.” 1 likes