Start by marking “When Tara Met Farah (Bollywood Drama & Dance Society, #1)” as Want to Read:
When Tara Met Farah (Bollywood Drama & Dance Society, #1)

When Tara Met Farah

(Bollywood Drama & Dance Society #1)

Sunshine Girl needs math lessons…

Nineteen-year-old Tara Muvvala didn’t mean to lead a double life. But her bone-deep aversion to math + a soul-deep desire to please her mother = her failing math grade + exploding food vlog ‘this masala life’.

Enter her mother’s research intern and resident math genius Farah Ahmed. Tara makes a deal with Farah - help her pass the math course
Published January 26th 2021

Start your review of When Tara Met Farah (Bollywood Drama & Dance Society, #1)
Mrinmayi
Sep 03, 2020 marked it as willsacrifice-maryams-soul-for-this
So, remember how I freaked out about Biryani in this book?!! And I was bragging about my ability to make a KILLER Prawn Biryani?!! So, I made it today...

(Please disregard the quality...GR messed it up and I am NOT a good photographer.) What matters is that I finally made this again and that I am totally flexing rn
Hello!!! Don't pass judgment!! It took me 3 hours to complete this (Totally bragging rn)

What I wish for is for YOU to be able to taste this!!!😌

For those of you who are unfamiliar with
Bhavya
Here is my Spotify Playlist-https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7mp...

I'm conflicted on what to rate this one. On one hand I loved it, and it made me feel very represented, but on the other hand, there were several aspects of it that could have been better written. It was also a lot more 'steamy' than I expected. 3 stars for now, but subject to change. Review to come.
lov2laf
Well this was way more explicit than I expected...

"When Tara Met Farah" is a new adult romance between Tara, a nineteen year old YouTuber, and Farah, a twentysomething math genius. There's a bit of enemies to lover romance here (but not quite), a seasonal fling with an impending due date to add some angst, and an opposites attract connection. Tara is bubbly and outgoing and not academically gifted while Farah is stoic, reserved, and academically brilliant.

I thought the author did a good job layi
Althea
4.5/5 Stars

This was just the sweetest sapphic romance novella that was just the right amount of fluffy for what I was in the mood for when I picked this one up! Very little angst so it's perfect for when you need a pick me up! I can't recommend this one enough, especially if you're looking to get into the romance genre!
Maëlys
Sep 02, 2020 marked it as to-read
sunshine/grumpy dynamic but make it brown girls :]

YoutubeTwitter
dyketatorship
Feb 11, 2021 marked it as to-read
Sapphic brown girls are everything. Fight me.
Amy
Lovely sweet story of opposites attracting. I loved immersing myself in the culture Pammi has shared and feel tortured by the descriptions of all the wonderful food. This book should come with a content warning that reading will definitely make you hungry. The romance is excellent, low angst, and drives home the idea that love helps you be the best version of yourself. Both Tara and Farah learn what they most need to learn about themselves and life simply because the person they look up to the m ...more
prag ♻
Sep 03, 2020 marked it as need
Shelves: sapphic-girls
WAIT A SECOND
kaylie!
Mar 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
This was ADORABLE, I want more

I really loved this little novella and just everything about it. Tara Pammi manages to write an incredible and heart-wrenching love story in just 180 pages. That's heart-wrenching in a good way <3
Stephanie
I am so sorry, y'all. This book came highly requested and highly reviewed, and at just 181 AND on Kindle Unlimited I downloaded it really thinking I'd like it.

But... no.

One girl's POV is first person, the other girl's is third person, and maybe it was a deeper meaning but I didn't get it and it was just jarring. The writing and the dialogue are so stilted. I'd force myself to read it and only get through a few pages before finding something - anything - else to do. Where was the chemistry? The c
Rachel Lacey
Oct 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is absolutely delightful! I loved everything about it, especially the grumpy/sunshine pairing. The characters felt so real in how they dealt with their problems and with each other. I got choked up several times and finished reading with a big smile on my face. I highly recommend this one!
Silvia (roomforbooks)
CWs: at the beginning of the novel
Rep: f/f, bi Indian mc, lesbian Indian American mc, nb side character, f/f side characters

This was quite steamy and inclusive, I loved how sex positive this was and can we talk about how accepting Tara’s parents are? Certain parts were really sweet.
That said, the characterization was weak and the main characters wrens always believable. Moreover the writing was repetitive at times and stilted, it didn’t flow naturally.
lauraღ
“If there is anything in this world that I know with a conviction, it is that you were made to love, to spread sunshine.”

3.5 stars. Super enjoyable, but I did want more from this. I always feel bad and kind of presumptuous when my main criticism of a novella is 'it should have been longer', because the author wrote the book to be the length they wanted or thought it should be. But... this should have been longer! It would have benefitted so much from 75 more pages of content! I'm happy to sa
Sanexiah
May 20, 2021 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book but the romance felt super forced.
Paulina
Feb 09, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

So a third book in a row for me turned out to be an insta-love story. Fortunately, in case of this book I still enjoyed how cute it was. But I have to admit that I enjoyed much more all the familiar relationships than the main romance. Especially the relationship between Tara and her mom touched me deeply and I ended up crying because of them by the end of the book and not because of Tara and Fara.

The author made an interesting choice to change the narrator from 1st to 3rd person depending wh
lucyreads_
Tara feels lost. After failing to complete high school, she's living in her parents basement but ignoring her maths genius mother as much as possible in order to avoid her disappointment and all round struggling with what she wants from life. Then Farah arrives from India, she's staying in Tara's house to work with her mother but still grieving the loss of her own mother she's not here to make friends.

Tara and Farah are complete opposites but despite getting off on the wrong foot with one anothe
Saiesha
Jan 02, 2022 rated it it was ok
I struggled through this. It is a good read, especially with the Desi rep and body positivity, but for some reason I couldn't enjoy the plot or writing. Maybe the switch in pov put me off, but l think it does work for the narrative.

This is definitely a novella that is dependant on personal experience.
aashna
Jan 29, 2022 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2022, desi
so underwhelming
Connie
Apr 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021-reading-log
Quick. Easy read. Opposites attract romance.

Enjoyed reading about Indian culture, especially the food! Alternating POV between two young women. The right amount of sexual tension and well written love scenes.

Topics: Coming Out. Bisexuality. Loss of a parent. Self doubt. Religion.
Mar
Jan 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Genuinely the sweetest, softest story I’ve read in such a long time!

Tara is convinced she’s the ultimate disaster lesbian - high school failure living in her parents basement - and completely ignores all of her achievements and unique qualities like only the most deprecating can. She feels like a disappointment to her maths genius professor mother and unintentionally creates a rift between them to spare herself that pain.

Enter Farah, a maths genius still grieving the loss of her mother fresh fro
Atlas
Mar 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
When Tara met Farah, they are not living their best times. They both have struggles such as dealing with the loss of a loved one, trying to live up to the expectations of others, seeing yourself as a total failure, self-pitying and so on... This is not "falling in love and suddenly seeing the world as a better place". They fell in love and helped each other to reach their best version of themselves by pure love and communication. Their perspectives of life changed because they met each other. I' ...more
Angel Miranda
Sep 21, 2020 marked it as to-read
😭2021 better hurry upppp
Mia
Feb 06, 2021 rated it liked it
This was such sweet sapphic romance novella.
Jaie
Delightful
Nicki ⍣
Tbh it’s a 2.5 rounded up. There’s something that didn’t quite click in general with the story, but there was so many parts that I did enjoy that made up for it.
N.G. Peltier
CW: death of relatives

This was a cute f/f NA romance. Tara and Farah are total opposites which I love. I'm always a sucker for an opposites attract trope and these two butted heads in the beginning, even with their attraction being obvious.

Tara is worried about having failed her exams and Farah has sort of checked out of life after her mom's passing. These two are both going through some internal conflicts but I like how they come to be there for each other.

Especially how Farah, and Tara's pare
isabella
Apr 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
This was so cute! Grumpy/sunshine is one of my fav romance tropes, SPECIALLY with sapphic ships 😭 and the sexy scenes were amazing! I'm not one for contemporary romances but this was really worth it ...more
telemakhos
So Farah leaned back into her chair and took a sip of her cold, stale coffee. It tasted bitter and horrible, and Tara burst out laughing when she made a face.

She let the sound of Star Bell's laughter wash over her and for the first time in months, she didn't feel quite so alone.

Tara is a nineteen year old desi lesbian with a cooking and lifestyle YouTube channel and two academically gifted parents. She has also failed to graduate high school on time, with a single algebra class holding her b
WillBookworm
Jan 29, 2021 rated it liked it
DNFed at 48%. I really don't want to give a bad review - there are a lot of good elements to this book, the premise was interesting enough to get me to buy it, and there are some funny lines in the beginning that I highlighted, but as the book progressed I found my mind wandering. I took a few breaks and tried to come back to it, but I just can't make myself push through: I got bored. Could be just me. I found Farrah's sudden switch to calling Tara "Star Bells", and thinking of her as this ray o ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Magpie Lord (A Charm of Magpies, #1)
  • Infinity Son (Infinity Cycle, #1)
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • We Are the Ants
  • Ravensong (Green Creek, #2)
  • Kings Rising (Captive Prince, #3)
  • Wolfsong (Green Creek, #1)
  • The King's Men (All for the Game, #3)
  • Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)
  • The Raven King (All for the Game, #2)
  • Captive Prince: Volume Two (Captive Prince, #2)
  • Darius the Great Is Not Okay (Darius The Great, #1)
  • Running With Lions
  • Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #1)
  • Harrow the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #2)
  • Opal (The Raven Cycle, #4.5)
  • Striking Distance (Fence, #1)
  • The Foxhole Court (All for the Game, #1)
See top shelves…
Tara Pammi can't remember a moment when she wasn't lost in a book, especially a romance which, for a teenager, was much more exciting than mathematics textbook. Before long, she was hiding romance novels within bigger textbooks, smuggling them into the home through her unsuspecting younger cousin’s school bag, and cycling more than a few miles to her favorite library to borrow more.

Through numerou

Articles featuring this book

If you're looking to fall head over heels for some LGBTQ+ romances, you'll find yourself quite lucky in love with recent books. In the first...
“You are not capable of loving anything in this world if you do not love yourself first. For whoever you are. And if there is anything in this world that I know with a conviction, it is that you were made to love, to spread sunshine.” 0 likes