Start by marking “Just Shelby” as Want to Read:
Just Shelby

Just Shelby

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  17 ratings  ·  16 reviews
A secret note square found in a handmade guitar proves that small town gossip is not only ubiquitous but occasionally true. This gossip comes with strings rivaling those on Ace Cooper’s guitar, the safest strings he will ever have around his heart.

Ace’s father warns him to stay away from the Lynn girl. Daughter of a deceased bootlegger and a barely living addict, Shelby Ly
Published October 27th 2020 by Arena Books

To ask other readers questions about Just Shelby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Shelby

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Just Shelby
Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
Nov 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
description

“It’s easier for people to reject those who live, think, and behave differently than it is to try and understand, question the assumptions on which they have built their own lives. It doesn’t help that the definition of ‘different’ varies by location and culture and community.”

We fell in love with Brooklyn James’s writing when we read The Boots My Mother Gave Me back in 2012. Her writing is flawless and ensures that you experience the characters’ stories as well as making you feel the words
Paula  Phillips
Oct 30, 2020 rated it liked it
A few years back I read Brooklyn's debut novel at that stage "The Boots My Mother Gave Me" and enjoyed it and when I saw the cover of the book "Just Shelby". I knew I wanted to read it as the cover drew me in and at that stage, I hadn't fully connected that the authors of the books were the same, that came a bit later in conversation. The book Just Shelby starts with Shelby and Ace who are neighbors and best friends living in a small town which is part of the Appalachians. Shelby has always felt ...more
Gitte TotallyBookedBlog

ARCs can be requested here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FA... ...more
Ally Swanson
Dec 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
---4.5 Stars---

This book was such a fun, enjoyable, captivating, entertaining, and engaging young adult/coming of age read!!

I was quickly taken with the author’s writing style as she fully grabbed hold of my attention, immersed me into the story line, and not only did I completely lose track of time, but didn’t even notice the dozen or so texts and social media alerts that were buzzing on my phone. Thankfully, none were emergency related lol!!!

This book was so intriguing I could not put it down
Lynn Worton
Nov 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Just Shelby is a young adult, coming of age tale that takes the reader on an emotional journey.

Shelby Lynn is a wonderful character. I liked her a lot. She is the daughter of a deceased bootlegger father and a drug addict mother. She faces challenges that most people struggle with - peer pressure, small-town gossip and job prospects that are rather lacking. However, she has plans, big ones, to get a running scholarship and go to college so that she can escape from the judgement of the townsfolk.
Brooklyn Gilmore
Oct 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Brooklyn James not only challenges herself as a storyteller in her newest release, Just Shelby (2020), but she challenges her readers with a writing style that reveals a mysterious plot of whodunnit at the end.

Just Shelby may not be everyone’s flavor of a read in 2020 while we’re pausing in the quarantine life as it is a slower read told with dual perspectives; however, slow doesn’t equate to poor art; it’s a matter of taste and delight. The hurry-up-and-get-there type may be looking for a who
Andrea
Jan 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing

This is the first book to hold my attention in a while. Part of that is that I have been sick. But really, it's because this was an intriguing story. I was drawn to Shelby from the get-go and her desire to get out of Appalachia and do something different with her life, escape from her difficult home life. But then we also started to get to know Ace and how their histories were so deeply entwined from the very beginning. Life choices were made about them and all around them that shaped w
Azraa
Nov 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020, arcs
Shelby has always wanted to get out of the small town she lives in. She works hard at school and is hoping to score a scholarship to a prestigious college. She might have been able to achieve it but with her mother being in and out of rehab, Shelby doesn’t know if she will ever be able to leave this town.
Ace knows he can never get out of this place. Mining being the most successful profession in Appalachia along with his family being a generation of miners, his dad wants him to carry in his foo
Naturalbri (Bri Wignall)
This is the first book I have read, by James. I saw the cover and liked the look, and then the blurb pulled me in, as Love with a little mystery sounded like just what I needed. I must say it is a good read.

The characters are good, with a decent level of detail and background, a lot of which you discover along the way, the same time as they do. They have great personalities and really make getting to know them fun.

The pace was good and the flow of the story went decently well. I found the firs
Trish Hills
Nov 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh I love Brooklyn James! Her books are so full of heart and music and they just sweep you away!

Shelby, Ace and their families are so engaging and captivating that I instantly warmed to them. I wanted the best for all of them, I wanted to know more. I wanted the story to unfold a certain way and I wasn't disappointed. This story is dramatic, sweet, sad, funny and romantic. It's heartbreaking in parts, uplifting in others. Just beautiful!

Brooklyn has a way of storytelling that is uniquely hers. T
Laura Richardson
Oct 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, and I thought it was quite different than most other books I've read this year. The main characters had spunk and chemistry that was unmatched, the plot was something I've never read before, and the ending felt perfect for the story. Just Shelby is a romance of ups and downs and day dreams. A love for music and a love for a boy. Young love and trauma is written very strongly in this book.

Overall, I think this is a great Taylor Swift-esque book, my only problem would
Christine Woinich
3 1/2 stars for me. I felt the story lagged a bit too much throughout. Shelby and Ace did care about each other despite their different circumstances and families. I felt for Shelby's pain, enjoyed her strength, but it got to be a little too much. Ace was a mix of good and bad for me, and it took a bit for me to care about him. As things came to a head, there were some genuine emotional moments. I am sure that others will enjoy this story, so take the time to check it out.

I received a copy of th
Donna Block
Dec 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Author Brooklyn James wrote that Just Shelby is “an unsuspecting mystery that depicts how growing together can sometimes hurt worse than growing apart.” Since reading her debut, coming-of-age novel, The Boots My Mother Gave Me, I have enjoyed reading all of her books because of the way she develops her characters throughout their storyline. Her latest hit home because it makes you think about how your actions, and the subsequent reactions, will continue to affect you long after the event.
Vedika Sheth
Oct 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️

While it was a fine story, it wasn’t amazing. A bit slow for my liking but that made the story incredibly deep. The characters were fun to read about and really brought my emotions out.

I wrote this voluntary review in exchange for an ARC copy.
Brooklyn James
Apr 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
"This book was intriguing I could not put it down and read it in just one sitting!" —fabulousandbrunetteblogspot.com ...more
Nazrina
Amy

• Sophie Washington: Class Retreat
  • A Song For Another Day
  • Silver Bells: A 3Square Christmas Romance
  • One-Eighty (Westover Prep, #1)
  • When the Stars Fall (Lost Stars #1)
  • The Black Jewels Trilogy: Daughter of the Blood, Heir to the Shadows, Queen of the Darkness (The Black Jewels, #1-3)
  • A Very Bossy Christmas
  • Middle Ageish (Starting Over # 1)
  • Every Sweet Regret (Orchid Valley #2)
  • I Hate You
  • Exes with Benefits
  • Noble Prince (Tin Gypsy, #4)
  • Lost Without You (Annapolis Harbor #2)
  • Student Seduction (The Seduction Duet #1)
  • Playing with Fire (Portwood Brothers, #3)
  • Say You Love Me (Southport Love Stories, #2)
  • The Rule Breaker (Inked Love, #3)
  • That Swoony Feeling (Getting Lucky, #4)
Wife, mother, author, singer-songwriter, daydreamer, night-thinker!

Brooklyn's first novel, The Boots My Mother Gave Me, has an original music soundtrack, making for a unique Audible experience. Out of Boots grew a platform where it was her honor to serve as a guest speaker with a focus on awareness and prevention of domestic violence and suicide.

She holds an M.A. in Communication, and a B.S. in bo