Start by marking “Rodina v podkroví” as Want to Read:
Rodina v podkroví

Rodina v podkroví

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  147,692 ratings  ·  14,339 reviews
Desivý príbeh rodiny, ktorá k vám príde na pár dní a už nikdy neodíde.

Niektoré rodinné tajomstvá by nikdy nemali vyjsť na svetlo sveta. Nečakané dedičstvo prinúti mladú ženu pátrať po záhade jej pôvodu a to, čo zistí, môže mať pre ňu fatálne dôsledky. Libby Jonesová vyrastala ako adoptované dieťa a vo svojich fantáziách si predstavovala, že jej biologický otec bol grafický
Published 2020 by Tatran (first published August 6th 2019)
Featured Notes & Highlights
Lisa
Lisa - author, mystery

To ask other readers questions about Rodina v podkroví, please sign up.
Anne
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Amy Even the title is a bit off: The family upstairs. There was no family upstairs; they had the house. Even if later someone creeped around, there was no…moreEven the title is a bit off: The family upstairs. There was no family upstairs; they had the house. Even if later someone creeped around, there was no family. Must have been many rewrites. (less)

·  147,692 ratings  ·  14,339 reviews

Start your review of Rodina v podkroví
Colleen Hoover
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My former publicist (she didn't die or get fired, I just changed publishers, so she's no longer my publicist) sent me an early copy of this book. I opened it up the day before book club (this wasn't the book club book) and I read it all in one sitting. That takes a long time, and The family upstairs was really captivating, so I didn't have time to read the actual book club book. When I got to book club the next night, Joy got mad at me for not reading the book club book, Ashleigh told me I'm a d ...more
Dita is taking a break from GR.
432 engrossing pages of pure psychopathic heaven and I read every one of them in the last 10 hours. I have been walking around our house all day resenting anyone who needed me for anything...this book is THAT good.

We're ordering pizza tonight.

Sorry, not sorry.

Don't worry if, as you start this, you feel a little confused by the introduction of different characters and different time periods, it only feels like you don't know what's going on and it only lasts a little while because pretty soon?
Chelsea Humphrey
BOTM pick for November 2019!

"It all happened so slowly, yet so extraordinarily quickly, the change to our parents, to our home, to our lives after they arrived. But that first night, when Birdie appeared on our front step with two large suitcases and a cat in a wicker box, we could never have guessed the impact she would have, the other people she would bring into our lives, that it would all end the way it did.

We thought she had just come to stay for the weekend."

description

Gather round children, and len
Nilufer Ozmekik
3.25 confused, restless, is it fair enough to give lower points because you’re die-hard fan of Lisa Jewell fan question flying over my head, creepy, oh those guests should urgently get the hell out of the house stars!

Personally, honestly, I love this author’s work starting from “Watching you”, “Then she was gone”, “I found you”. She is the master evil queen of thrillers taken place in creepy houses and the characters formed in dysfunctional families who have unresolved issues.

So this book is
megs_bookrack
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
**2.5-stars**

On her 25th-birthday, Libby gets to open a letter that has been held in trust for her since she was a baby.

As you can imagine, she has been anxiously awaiting this event. She believes the letter contains the details she desires about her biological family.

Found at just 10-months of age, at the scene of an apparent cult-motivated suicide, Libby was taken in by the State and subsequently adopted out to a loving family.

In spite of her love for her adoptive family, she has remained c
Maureen
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Imagine inheriting an eight bedroom property in London’s SW3 - in the heart of Chelsea - it’s an area of multi million pound homes - well let’s face it, you’d be over the moon to say the least. This wonderful inheritance is Libby Jones 25th birthday present, but the house (or mansion to be precise) is pretty dilapidated, and it has a very sinister past too.

Told from the points of view of Libby, Lucy, and Henry, in both the past and present, this compelling family drama begins with the previous o
Meredith
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

The Family Upstairs is a compulsively readable psychological thriller that features multiple storylines, three POV’s, an unreliable narrator, a sociopath, several mysteries, many murders, a crazy cult, a sick obsession, and much more! Needless to say, there’s a whole lot going on.

When Libby, who was adopted when she was a baby, discovers that she will inherit a mansion on her 25th birthday, she is stunned. She wants to know more about her birth parents and why she is the sole heir to a
David Putnam
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book. Great writing craft. The story is a slow burn and told in three points of view in alternating chapters. David the antagonist is developed and revealed slowly and turns more heinous with each chapter. Henry, the son is my favorite character. Jewel does a fantastic job developing his character and putting in layer after layer of motivation for what ultimately happens. The book starts out smoldering and doesn’t really shift into high gear until page 150, then it really takes off. Th ...more
Mary Beth
2.5 stars rounded up to 3 stars.

This book was very confusing too me so I am just going to use the blurb as the plot. I thought it was written well.

Be careful who you let in.

Soon after her twenty-fifth birthday, Libby Jones returns home from work to find the letter she’s been waiting for her entire life. She rips it open with one driving thought: I am finally going to know who I am.

She soon learns not only the identity of her birth parents, but also that she is the sole inheritor of their abando
Paromjit
Lisa Jewell ventures into horror infested psychological thriller territory in this disturbing and unsettling novel. 25 years ago in Chelsea, London, the police enter 16 Cheyne Walk, the mansion of the wealthy Lambs, the home of the famous Martina, wife, model and mother, with her young children, Henry and Lucy. What they discover is the dead, decomposing bodies of the Lamb parents, and that of another mystery man, with a note that suggests a cult suicide, but strangely they find a 10 month old b ...more
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
This was one of my most anticipated reads of 2019, since I’m a huge Lisa Jewell fan. For me this book was a frustrating read. The four other novels by this author which I have previously read were favorites of mine and I never had any problems with the flow of the story. This book has so many characters, switches back and forth in time and I found the characters, with the exception of Libby, to be unpredictable and not very believable. In the beginning I actually took notes to keep the character ...more
Dem
Forgettable and Disappointing read that started with great promise but became bogged down with too many characters and a story that went around in circles

I started out really enjoying this book as I was intrigued by premise;
Soon after her twenty-fifth birthday, Libby Jones receives the letter she’s been waiting for her entire life. She rips it open with the excitement of what it contains about her past " I am finally going to know who I am"
She soon learns not only the identity of her birth par
Kaceey
Well, it looks as though I may be in the minority on this one!

Libby is shocked after being notified she’s just inherited a massive house. One that comes with a mysterious and tragic history.
Libby was found abandoned as a baby in this home. Having been adopted, Libby has since blossomed into a 25 year old, well-adjusted, content young lady. Anxious to keep her life moving along on the timetable she’s set for herself.

Well, Miss Libby...this new inheritance thing may just change up your original
Liz
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Lisa Jewell’s books do a good job of keeping the reader off kilter, especially at the beginning. At the age of 25, Libby learns she has inherited a house. Not just any house, but a mansion in Chelsea, London worth millions of pounds. The house has been vacant for the past 24 years, ever since her parents killed themselves in a suicide pact and left her to be found. What was never determined was what happened to the other people, including her siblings, supposedly also living in the house.

The bo
Deanna

My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

3.5 Stars

Another intriguing read from Lisa Jewell!

A family is forever changed when a woman, her cat, and her two large suitcases come to stay.

Libby Jones was orphaned at six months old. She is now twenty-five and has just received a letter from a solicitor. She's been expecting this letter but she's still surprised by what it says. “The house. They’ve left me the house.”

16 Cheyne Walk is a townhouse in one of London’s poshe
Susanne  Strong
3 Stars.

Creepy and Disturbing. Par for the Course with Lisa Jewell, Right?!

The Past: Houseguests. They are never pleasant. Unless they are temporary. For a family living in a mansion in Chelsea, a ringing of the doorbell signals a whole host of changes that influences their entire lives, forever. Call it dark, eerie and downright strange.

The Present: On Libby Jones’ twenty-fifth birthday, she inherits a house. Not just any house, a mansion in Chelsea. Though dilapidated and vacant, it is a tota
Holly  B
3.5 STARS

Lisa Jewell is one of my favorite authors!

I have read all of her thrillers and my expectations were so high for her newest (possibly too high).  I love how she writes, builds tension, and weaves a story.

Her books are so easy to read and fall into. This one did seem a bit too long though and I was beginning to tire of the complex plot. It focuses on a highly dysfunctional family and there are a lot of characters to sort out.  It took some time before I was able to make all the conne
Gabby
Oh gosh I truly don’t understand the hype this book has already received. I absolutely love Lisa Jewell, I consider her one of my favorite authors; this was one of my most anticipated book releases of the year. I feel like this book was just so uninteresting and definitely my least favorite book from her yet.

This might be a “it’s not the book it’s me” situation cause everyone else seems to be loving the hell out of this, but I felt so disappointed and bored by this book. In typical Lisa Jewel f
Yun
Dec 15, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Family Upstairs kicks off with Libby receiving word on her 25th birthday that her birth parents have left her an abandoned mansion in a wealthy part of London. She hopes this will lead to answers about who she is and where she comes from. In a second storyline, we meet Lucy, a middle-aged mother of two struggling to get by and avoid homelessness. And in a third storyline, we follow one of the mansion's former occupants as they reminisce about what happened in there all those years ago.

Right
Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
4.5 stars!

Deliciously dark, creepy and twisted!

Lisa Jewell does it again! I loved this highly suspenseful, spine-tingling tale! This author is SO extremely consistent in her writing. She has the ability to suck me into a storyline from the first chapter barely letting me up for air before the last sentence. This book was such a treat and a great escape during these stressful and isolating times.

The engrossing plot is dark and disturbing - it involves a wealthy family, an eerie old mansion house
Farrah
Jul 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really closer to 4.5 and it's all so Flowers In The Attic-like isn't it? With the poisonings and locked up children.

I ADORE Lisa Jewell's writing. Her books are unique and she's a bit quirky. At one point a character is described as being "vaguely petrified" which, really, makes no sense. It's an impossible state, but she made it seem reasonable in context.

The pace of this book is on the slower side, but consistently propelling, then becomes full blown crazy and emotional at around 70%!
Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
After seeing some mixed reviews for The Family Upstairs, I was a little worried one of my favorite authors has turned to the dark side in more ways than one. I am so glad I decided to give this a try for myself because I had nothing to worry about. Lisa Jewell continues to do no wrong with this devoted reader.

Lisa Jewell is moving a little towards the darker side from what this "Lisa Jewell reader" has come to expect. However, I have moved a little ok a lot to the darker side myself, so I think
Arna
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4 & 1/2 stars

My favourite Lisa Jewell so far!

This was soo good! Told from three POV, each story felt like it’s own, with each chapter giving just enough to have you hooked. I loved seeing how they intertwined as I got deeper into the story!

What I didn’t like what about this book was two of the main characters being called Lucy and Libby. 🤦🏻‍♀️ whyyyy did they have to be so similar! Not going to lie I struggled with it throughout the whole book 😂

I was feeling a little unsure on Lisa’s books afte
Suzy
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

What a disturbing, dark, suspenseful and atmospheric story! Lisa Jewell has done it again with the The Family Upstairs. A very unique tale about family history and all of its secrets.

Although I’m a big fan of Jewell’s books, I was hesitant to read this after seeing so many of my friends’ mixed reviews. I didn’t know what to expect, so I kept an open mind. I’m so glad I did!

The three POVs in the book really made it awesome for me. Between that and the short chapters, I found my
Larry H
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dark, twisty, and creepy, I devoured Lisa Jewell's new book in the matter of a few hours.

Libby is about to turn 25. She’s thinking about finding the right man, taking the next step in her career, making her limited amount of savings last. Adopted at a young age, she always knew she’d be getting some sort of inheritance from her birth parents on her 25th birthday but figured it might be something small and sentimental, if even that.

She’s shocked to discover she’s inherited a house—no, a once-gran
Brandice
Aug 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Libby turns 25, she receives a letter she’s been waiting for her whole life — to learn the identity of her birth parents. She also find out she has inherited a mansion in London. The abandoned house is in rough condition and has a disturbing past: 3 people died there several years ago in what appeared to be a suicide pact when Libby was only a baby.

Who were her parents, really, and who was the other adult? Who saved Libby from the awful events downstairs? She works with Miller, a journalis
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
***NOW AVAILABLE***

This was one of my most anticipated reads of 2019, since I’m a huge Lisa Jewell fan. For me this book was a frustrating read. The four other novels by this author were favorites of mine and I never had any problems with the flow of the story. This book has so many characters, switches back and forth in time and I found the characters, with the exception of Libby, to be unpredictable and not very believable. In the beginning I actually took notes to keep the characters straight
BernLuvsBooks
3 Creepy, Disturbing and Left Me Off-Kilter Stars

At the age of 25, Libby learns she has inherited a house. Not just any house, but a mansion in Chelsea that is worth millions. The house has been vacant for the past 24 years, ever since her parents killed themselves and left her to be found. The police were never able to piece together exactly what happened in the house or what happened to the other people, including her siblings, rumored to have also been living in the house.

Told via multiple,

Tense.
Page turner.
Compulsive characteristic tendencies.
Realistic characters.
And things that twist your mind.

It has it all and more.

I did wonder how a person could be manipulated so fast. In hindsight, who are we to judge. We can never expect someone to react the same way we might, or, would like to think we might. Right?

Because of the way this was written with snappy chapters it was easy to get caught up in doing nothing else except read and someone
Jen
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Distorted; contorted. This was a whacky ride. Another creepy, disturbing one delivered. A mix of mystery, murder, cult, family, and a few weirdos thrown in. Twenty five years later, baby turns of age to inherit the home that left a trail of unanswered questions....and bodies.

My only qualm: too many characters to get acquainted with at the beginning.

Another entertaining read. Thanks Jewell.4⭐️
January Book of the Month 2 4 Jan 17, 2021 05:35PM
January Book of the Month 1 2 Jan 15, 2021 02:55PM
Play Book Tag: The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell - 5 Stars 5 12 Jan 13, 2021 08:34PM
Hear Me Out! Audi...: November 2020: The Family Upstairs 5 10 Jan 09, 2021 04:20PM
Play Book Tag: The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell ⭐️⭐️⭐️ 2 11 Dec 31, 2020 01:01PM

• The Guest List
  • The Other Daughter
  • One by One
  • The Sun Down Motel
  • Who Did You Tell?
Lisa was born in London in 1968. Her mother was a secretary and her father was a textile agent and she was brought up in the northernmost reaches of London with her two younger sisters. She was educated at a Catholic girls’ Grammar school in Finchley. After leaving school at sixteen she spent two years at Barnet College doing an arts foundation course and then two years at Epsom School of Art & De ...more

Articles featuring this book

“They weren’t bad books,” Phin countered patiently. “They were books that you didn’t enjoy. It’s not the same thing at all. The only bad books are books that are so badly written that no one will publish them. Any book that has been published is going to be a ‘good book’ for someone.” 35 likes
“I'd subliminally determined at this point that the only way to really know what was going on in the world was to listen to women talk. Anyone who ignores the chatter of women is poorer by any measure.” 11 likes