Start by marking “Ancient-Future Faith: Rethinking Evangelicalism for a Postmodern World” as Want to Read:
Ancient-Future Faith: Rethinking Evangelicalism for a Postmodern World

Ancient-Future Faith: Rethinking Evangelicalism for a Postmodern World

Paints a picture of the evangelical faith by showing how the early church tradition provides the resources for answering postmodern generation.
Published November 1st 1999 by Baker Academic

To ask other readers questions about Ancient-Future Faith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ancient-Future Faith

Start your review of Ancient-Future Faith: Rethinking Evangelicalism for a Postmodern World
Jason Arant
Oct 28, 2008 rated it liked it
Great read but Webber seems to impose a heavy eucharistic theology over everything he talks about. This colors his understanding of up and coming generations in a way that doesn't seem to reflect the reality I have observed.
Rachel McKinney
Jun 26, 2008 rated it liked it
A dry book, but good historically and well researched, although I think the major points are emphasized to the point of meaningless very often. This book is a good resource and reference book, a good bolster for a theology class, but tried a little too hard to explain some very simple principles.
Dustin Tramel
Sep 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Dustin by: Brad Harper
A very helpful insight to some of the ideas and motivations behind the "emerging" church movement.
Gipson Baucum
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
A good demonstration that New Testament and Classical Christianity should appeal to the post-modern mindset. Christianity works best when it is not filtered through the world-view of any age or other philosophy (like Plato, Aristotle, modernity, post-modernity, or even the sola-scriptura of Luther). It stands on it's own as it's handed down from Jesus to the apostles to the different ages of the church. Great read, but be ready to have your pre-suppositions and biases challenged.
Eric Chappell
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013-reading
Context: I read this book because of the title's connection with my January reading of the early church.

Summary: Webber sees parallels between postmodernism today and that of the Roman empire during the first few centuries of the church. In order to speak truth to our so-called postmodern culture, we should recover the faith and practice of the early church (esp as it pertains to Christus Victor) which flourished in a similar setting. Webber explores the early Church's thoughts on Christ, eccle
Louis Fritz v
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Robert Webber's first in a series on encountering postmodernism with the Gospel, Ancient-Future Faith does an excellent job of seeking to bridge the gap between the generations of the the apostles all the way to the current postmodern era. By understanding how our faith and different aspects of it have been molded throughout the annals of history, Webber is able to thoroughly present an objective viewpoint whereby the individual can be motivated to better not only himself in understanding how hi ...more
Feb 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I also used this book for my senior bible class. It had some interesting scenarios and points to discuss. I didn't like it as much as the Firth book because this one was harder to digest, but I did think many of his points were valid and they offered good discussion material. I'd probably recommend this book.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2012...
Laurie
Mar 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Webber's chapter outlines/summaries are valuable for getting a good overview of the major periods of church history, and how practices and theological views have changed over time. His premise is that post-modern thinking and culture offer unique opportunities for Christians to impact our sphere of influence because there are strong points of connection between post-modernism and ancient Christian spirituality. Worth skimming, although Webber is rather a dry writer.
Peter
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Manages to pack a ton of ideas into a relatively small book, looking at broad topics with a clear and concise format. Any of the topics covered, such as evangelism, the relationship of the Church with Tradition and Scripture, and others, would all need further thought and study to flesh out the questions asked here. Highly recommended as a thought-provoking and engaging study. Webber writes with great conviction and strength.
Stephen
Jan 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book. I noticed another reviewer called it "dry". To me it was anything, but dry. Webber deftly argues the case for a faith and worship that more closely resembles that of the ancient church. He remains staunchly orthodox, in my opinion, while situating Christian theology, worship and evangelism in the church, not in an apologetic that raises Reason to the equal of Faith. Perhaps others will not find this book the eye-opener that I did, but for me it was revelatory.
Nick
Jul 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book gave me plenty of things to think about. I'm not sure how I feel about all of them just yet, but Webber does present some interesting ideas about what church might look like if it were more like the ancient church. If you are in church leadership, Webber's call to you is to lead your church into the future by the ancient paths.
Jordan J. Andlovec
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I should have read this book 15 years ago, because I have been churning over many of these ideas since. Webber's project, while idealistic does inspire for sure, and it's his passion for both the Church and the Great Commission (which sadly are often divorced) that made me very happy to be reading it.
Allan Gates
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A great read on rethinking how to teach the Gospel to a postmodern generation while looking at the Early Church. Webber brings out the issues in the transitioning our thinking from a modern individualistic mindset to a focus on what it means to be in community with Christ at the center.
John Compton
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Webber clearly articulates our the Christian faith can be presented in a Post-modern world. Traditionalist in the church cling to how the faith was presented in the Modern Era and those who favor contemporary often are capitulating to pop-culture. This is the other way.
Rex
Jun 28, 2014 rated it liked it
A pragmatic approach to the Early Church, set in dialogue with postmodernism. The writing is somewhat lacking, and I question a few of his interpretations of Church history, but there are some intelligent ideas set forth that I believe could be of great benefit to contemporary Evangelical churches.
Jill
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
A look at how classical Christianity can relate to our postmodern world. I really enjoyed the look at the idea of Christus Victor, and the overview of the early church's evangelism process was quite intriguing.
Jacob Aitken
Not as good as ancient future worship, and I wonder if Webber was still a baptist when he wrote this. It does a good job, though, in pointing the reader to Christus Victor models of the atonement and trying to feel for the rhythm of "ancient" church.
Andrew
Dec 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
All of these books are excellent resources for teaching the importance of christian history and worship practice to evangelicals.
Tom Heil
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book not only gives a fresh perspective on the faith and worship of the ancient church, it presents a compelling case for holding on to those practices for the new millenium.
Bradley
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing

A profoundly thought and life shaping book for me.
Tyler
May 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
Helped shape my current view of Christianity and the church.
Kyle Potter
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Return of the Prodigal Son: A Story of Homecoming
  • Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World
  • Celebration of Discipline: The Path to Spiritual Growth
  • The Keeper of Lost Causes (Department Q, #1)
  • Marco Effekten (Afdeling Q, #5)
  • Flaskepost fra P (Afdeling Q, #3)
  • Journal 64 (Afdeling Q, #4)
  • The Hanging Girl (Department Q, #6)
  • The Absent One (Department Q, #2)
  • The Fire of the Word: Meeting God on Holy Ground
  • The Alphabet House
  • The Andromeda Strain (Andromeda, #1)
  • Dear Evan Hansen
  • When She Woke
  • Sing You Home
  • Compassion: A Reflection on the Christian Life
  • Secondborn (Secondborn #1)

News & Interviews