Start by marking “Float Plan” as Want to Read:

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  6,680 ratings  ·  1,745 reviews
Critically acclaimed author Trish Doller's unforgettable and romantic adult debut about setting sail, starting over, and finding yourself.

Since the loss of her fiancé, Anna has spent the last year foundering on land, shipwrecked by her grief and inability to move on. But when a reminder goes off about a trip they were supposed to take, she impulsively sets off in their sa
Published March 2nd 2021

To ask other readers questions about Float Plan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Float Plan

·  6,680 ratings  ·  1,745 reviews

Start your review of Float Plan
Trish Doller
Feb 23, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-wrote
Advice givers always say you should write the book you want to read. This is it. I hope you like it.
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can a person expect more from a beautiful, heart wrenching, inspirational, promising second chances story?
Adorable characters!✅
Riveting, emotional, adrenaline pumping journey!✅
Well written dialogues with meaningful messages!✅
A unique second chances love story!✅
Yes you may find all of those at this novel! ✅

The summary of plot line: Two easily lovable characters set sail to complete a thrilling, adventurous voyage to visit spectacular places, experiencing brand new things, broadening their h
Regina
Nov 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"He planned an adventure he never intended to take, imagined a life he never intended to live. Instead he sailed out on a tide of pills and tequila."

Ooof. When a novel begins with an advisory about self-harm and suicide, you immediately brace yourself for a gut-wrenching (and potentially graphic) read. "Float Plan" is neither of those things, but rather an escapist story about moving on from loss.

Anna is a 25-year-old waitress at a "Hooters-like" restaurant whose fiance died by suicide within t
Tina
This is a Contemporary Romance/Women's Fiction/Mental Health. This is so much more then just a romance. This book is about getting over grief. Anna starts sailing around to try to get over losing her boyfriend from him killing himself over a long battle of depression, and she meets Keane that is grieving the lost of his leg. I love this book so much. I know I was going to like it, but I did not see this book becoming one of my favorite books I have read this year. I really loved all the characte ...more
Susan's Reviews
Jul 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
APPLAUSE!! APPLAUSE!! APPLAUSE!!
( With a standing ovation!) What a great read!

Anna Beck can't make sense of her world. Her fiance, Ben, killed himself after battling depression all his life. Unable to get on with her life, Anna makes a rash decision to complete a trip that Ben had planned for them - which would have ended with their wedding ceremony on the sandy beaches of Trinidad.

But Anna soon realizes that she lacks the advanced sailing skills needed to make the long journey through the Car
Corina
I had such a great time listening to this audiobook of FLOAT PLANl. It was my first book by Trish Doller, but it won’t be my last.

I was intrigued by the premise of a sailing trip to the Caribbean. I haven’t travelled in ages and getting to experience it all via a book was right up my alley. And I’m glad to report that the book delivered on all fronts.

First, Anna and Keane were both wonderful characters. Strong personalities, funny, relatable and likeable. Both had their share of emotional scarri
Sheena
Float Plan was not what I expected, especially because there were so many high rated reviews. Anna decides to set sail on a planned tip that her ex- boyfriend Ben had planned for them. He committed suicide and I do think that wild the book touches on grief, the romance was so forced.

The romance between Anna and Keane was so blatantly over their looks and their looks alone. They kept talking about how amazing the other one was but there was no reason or proof behind why they were amazing. They l
Jessica
3.5 Stars

TW for suicide.

When this book starts, Anna is reeling from the loss of her fiancé to suicide. This is a very heavy start to this book, so please be aware going in. Anna decides to go on the sailing trip she had planned with her fiancé and ends up hiring Keane to help along the way. For most of this book, it definitely read as a women's fiction novel with Anna learning to live without Ben and give up some control over her life. It was nice, but I felt like the story lagged a bit as Anna
jenny✨
float plan in one sentence: loved the setting, didn’t care for the characters.

before i begin my review, let us take a gander at some of the destinations anna hit on her trip:

bimini, bahamas (retrieved from here)

pirate’s cove, providenciales, turks and caicos (retrieved from here)

san juan, puerto rico (retrieved from here)

montserrat – british overseas territory (retrieved from here

les anses-d’arlet, martinique (retrieved from here)

random picture of a sailboat somewhere in the caribbean, just 'c
Samantha
tw: death of a loved one by suicide (including the suicide note and descriptions of how he passed)

This is the second grief story where the main character 's fiancee has died that I have read this month, but grief stories where people are re-discovering themselves after a major loss have some of my favorite themes. This is a quick read about Anna, who is sailing the Caribbean on a trip she planned to take with her fiancee, and Keane is the man she ends up hiring to help her sail. I enjoy
Toni
Mar 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley2021, 2021
I don't know much about boats and sailing. I do know something about grieving for someone you loved and lost, and this hauntingly beautiful book made me feel all sorts of emotions in recognition of how hard it is to let go your past and take a chance on a new, unimagined and unplanned future.

Anna is a twenty five year old waitress from Fort Lauderdale whose fiance Ben committed suicide after a long bout of depression. Ben planned to sail to Trinidad and have lots of amazing experiences on the wa
Chloe Liese
Dec 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to St. Martin's Griffin & NetGalley for this advance copy. All opinions are my own!

What begins as a woman undertaking a journey by sea that her now-deceased boyfriend planned for them becomes a journey that is so much more than undertaking closure and honoring his life. Anna grieves what she's lost and finds closure, yes, but she finds and discovers so much more about herself, about her resilience, her passions, and her hopes for her future.

This was a beautiful journey through grief an
Larry H
Mar 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Float Plan , Trish Doller's adult fiction debut, is a poignant and romantic story about finding the strength to pick yourself up after tragedy.

Anna had planned for a life with her fiancé, Ben. She was completely rocked by his death, and has been consumed by grief for the last 10 months. But when she gets a reminder about the trip they had planned, to sail from Florida to the Bahamas, she decides to make the trip alone, in their sailboat, much to the worry of friends and family.

Anna has never
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
4.5 Stars

It being February, I had decided last night to double down on my romance reads for the next couple of weeks and somehow managed to remember I had a copy of this on the ol’ Kindle. When I woke up this morning it was around 50 degrees, but by 9:00 it was 30, dropping and the snow was blowing so hard it was a near whiteout. That right there is what you call the gods smiling upon your choice to read a book set somewhere warm.

Float Plan is the story of Anna who has barely been going through
Angelica
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was nothing at all what I expected. And yet, it was so much more than anything I could have thought.

In short, I loved it. Every single second of it.

I was expecting a romance novel, quick and predictable. But this book isn't necessarily about romance. It’s about letting go of the past and dealing with grief. It’s about experiencing happiness and finding freedom.

But yes, there is a bit of a love story thrown in there to put the icing on the cake.

I loved Anna and her adventure. She neve
Carrie
Feb 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Float Plan by Trish Doller is a contemporary romance or women’s fiction title. Just one glance at this one I new it should be a great read for me being someone that loves boating and travel so I just had to pick it up.

Anna has spent the last year nursing her broken heart and thinking she will never recover from the death of her fiancé. When a reminder goes off for a trip that the couple was supposed to take together Anna decides that she needs to still go on her own.

Anna packs up their sailboat
Kendall
Feb 16, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Float Plan

What a sweet, moving, and emotional romance. What I loved about this one? It was so much more then a typical romance. It's about self discovery, moving on from grief, and falling in love.

Anna has recently lost her fiancée to suicide. She is trying to move on from life and decides to take her fiancé's boat out and travel the world. She has the world waiting for her.

Trish Dollar explores the heavy side of suicide and the difficult nature of grief in such a beautiful way through this spe
Sam (AMNReader)
While this book was undoubtedly good, there were times I was regretful?

First, it opens with a still deep in grief Anna, reeling from her fiance's suicide and discovering him. I wouldn't normally start out with something like this, but it deserves more than a passing note. Anna's sadness-depression really-is surface for much of the novel. I read 3 pages and walked away from it for the afternoon. So, I want you to know that in case that may hurt you to read about. There is also discussion of Ben
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
this cover's color scheme is beautiful

also because I pulled some strings (just kidding, I'm not that special)

i know what the marketing plan and it is amazing

i wish i could share it but i don't want Macmillan to sue me

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
z
My first book for the year and I did not expect to love this as much as I did. So good!

I really like the premise of the story. About a year after the death of Anna's fiance, she decides to go through with their original plans to go sailing, following the float plan her husband had made for them before he died. She isn’t really the best candidate to go sailing the long distance alone. Somewhere along, she puts up an ad looking for sailors/basically anyone who knows their shit and that's how she m
Lucía Robles
I went in blind for this and I was expecting a romance book, instead, this felt like a brochure a travel agency will give me to go and visit the Caribbean.
There was a total 2% of romance.

I love fast-paced books, but this one was on a whole other level, the story moved way too fast, stopping me from connecting to the story or the characters.

The heroine didn’t stop talking and reminiscing about her deceased fiance up until 70% which made me really uncomfortable when she made advances to the hero.
I
Kate Olson
(free review copy) Now that this is officially out in the world, I want to bump my "10 stars if I could" review up. I read it when it was supposed to be a summer 2020 release and have been waiting and waiting for everyone else to get to read it! It's truly the most unique story/setting that I've read in a really, really long time.

CW: grief after suicide of partner

ORIGINAL REVIEW AUGUST 2020 - I was all set to recommend this to EVERYONE I KNOW but now the pub date has been pushed way back! Put it
T. Rosado

My first **5 Star** read of 2021!

Beginning with it's heart-rending opening (potential triggers - (view spoiler),) Float Plan is a story that deals with loss, the grieving process, and the effort to start moving forward.

The author rendered grief in all it's honesty, but also lightened the story with moments of wit and charm. I loved every minute with the relatable heroine, as well as it's swoony Irish hero. While not entirely focused on romance, the relationsh
Jan 28, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-ebooks
4.5/ 5 stars

Float Plan is the author's adult romance debut (I believe that she usually writes YA). This is my first book by this author and I really enjoyed it very much.

I had not read the book blurb. So the opening was even more powerful for me. I thought that the beginning of this book was very strong. And I was hooked right from the start.

The narrator is 25 year old Anna (1st person POV). Something happened in her life. And now it's a year later and she is still dealing with the aftermath.

I c
book bruin
Feb 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Edited 3/18/21
Audiobook Review
Overall 5 stars
Performance 4 stars
Story 5 stars

I loved revisiting Anna and Keane via audiobook! It was even more emotional hearing everything play out, especially Ben's note at the very beginning. I thought Sarah Naughton did a great job with Keane's accent and she gave such a heartfelt performance. Definitely a book not to be missed!

*****
Float Plan grabs you by the heart and never lets go. I wasn't sure I was in the right headspace for this one, but once I started
aly ☆彡
Mar 21, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such an inspiring and amazing book.

[!!!]Before any of you start reading this, I hope you are all aware of the trigger warning in the book before proceeding.

I'll just keep it brief and simple but this book is not what I expected it to be. Seeing how the female MC is going through grief from her dead fiancee at the hand of suicide, I'm expecting a more heavy and emotional ride. However, Doller managed to make the book a light read, at the same time be sure not to miss out on the details of how a
Lindsay (pawsomereads)
Looking for a second chance love story set at sea with captivating characters, thrilling adventure and heartwarming interactions? Well, look no further because Float Plan has it all!
Surrounded by grief in her daily life, Anna decides it's time to set out on her own voyage of sailing around the Caribbean. She soon discovers that she may need a little help to make it through this trip. Enter Keane, a professional sailor adjusting to his new future. The two of them set sail for Puerto Rico on a jou
RateTheRomance
I needed a day to emotionally recover from this story before writing my review. Prepare yourself for me to put on my English Lit Major cap and write a review that is significantly loftier than my usual "talk about hot kitchen counter sex!" reviews. Here we go...

*drawn out feminine sigh*

I loved this book. It is deliciously well written, with beautiful words and vivid descriptions. We know from the very first words that this book will be an emotional journey. The female lead, Anna, is drowning in
Blackjack
Mar 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: published-2021
3.5 rounding up

Float Plan worked best for me as a travelogue, with the main characters relishing the pleasures of island hopping the Caribbean. Doller creates an authentic story of two drifters, who though they have different motivations, come together by happenstance and find joy together experiencing life abroad as expats. The unique aspect of each one of the many islands they visit is brought to life for readers, and I don't think anyone can read this book and ever assume that the islands are
♥Rachel♥
Now I want to sail through the Caribbean, with a sexy Irishman, of course. Lol.

• Meet Me in Paradise
  • Shipped
  • Accidentally Engaged
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • You Are Not Alone
  • The Last Flight
  • The Ex Talk
  • Yes & I Love You (Say Everything, #1)
  • Twice Shy
  • One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • Life's Too Short (The Friend Zone, #3)
  • Drowning With Others
  • Love at First
  • Much Ado About You
  • Happy Singles Day
  • Girls Burn Brighter
  • Axel (Carolina Reapers #1)
  • The Chase (Briar U, #1)
See top shelves…
Hi, I'm Trish! I don't really visit goodreads too often, but you can find me on both Instagram and Twitter as @trishdoller. Instagram is my favorite, so look there first. I don't bite, so come say hello!

(Note: I'm sorry that don't have any review copies for my books. You'll have to contact the publisher.)

Articles featuring this book

“Eventually - and I say this from experience - you'll start building a new house beside the ruins of the old. When you're ready, you'll know.” 5 likes
“Carla once told me the best way to make a decision is to flip a coin. She said that when the coin is in the air, you'll usually figure our what you truly want.” 3 likes