Start by marking “How to Buy a Planet” as Want to Read:
How to Buy a Planet

How to Buy a Planet

The Earth has been sold to aliens. What could possibly go wrong?

It’s the Year 2024. Drowning in debt following the pandemic and facing ruin, the world's leaders have taken the only logical decision.

They’ve sold the planet.

When Toby, a penniless student, and his two new flatmates find out one morning on TV, they're surprised to find the Earth’s new alien owners are staggeri
Published August 24th 2020

To ask other readers questions about How to Buy a Planet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Buy a Planet

Start your review of How to Buy a Planet
Una McCormack
Sep 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
"How To Buy A Planet" is an entertaining and fast-moving science fiction adventure in the spirit of Douglas Adams from first-time novelist, D.A. Holdsworth.

Hapless student Toby learns that the Earth has been sold, and the new owners, staggeringly cute and full of promises about a glorious future, are not all that they seem. In fact, Toby and his flatmates only have twenty-four hours to save the Earth.

The novel is written with a sense of humour, fun, and wonder, but also with an underlying seri
Deborah
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
For fans of Douglas Adams and Richard Curtis

How to Buy a Planet is about an Everyman plus a Hairy Man plus an intelligent Hot Woman plus a Professor plus his Number Two who all work together to figure out how to buy a planet. It is not easy, not something that you can phone a friend about or Google. It is more complicated than that. It involves some chasing and following, some space travel, some communicating with aliens and plenty of problem solving.

This is DA Holdsworth’s debut novel. Holdswo
Brian
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Earth is saved (by three flatmates)

I have said before in reviews that I do enjoy a good sci-fi comedy, but they are hard to come by. This book is certainly one of them, and I enjoyed every page. Like most stories of this sub-genre, the actual plot is less important than the antics of the protagonists, but here goes.

An intergalactic conman talks the world’s leaders into selling the Earth in return for paying of the entire planetary debt. Of course once it has been sold, the new owners plan to
Una
Nov 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this, it reminds me of the Hitchhiker's Guide.

I did spot a few errors though, so only 4 stars - Eg incorrect words being used: breaking instead of braking, discrete instead of discreet.
And other errors - spelling, repeated words
Susan Smith
Sep 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a hoot.

This is hilarious. There's probably some deep meaningful things regarding finance and politics but. I was too busy laughing.
Well-rounded characters, brilliantly written, reminded me of a certain television programs (two words, first of two letters and second of three letters) in many places, can't say more without introducing spoilers.
Well done, can't wait for the next book.
Popup-ch
Nov 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020, kindle, fiction
The author tries very hard to channel Douglas Adams spirit - and it mostly works. It's not quite as laugh-out-loud funny as Hitchhikers Guide, but it's enjoyable nevertheless.

After a world-wide pandemic and a financial crisis, a group of world leaders have decided to do the only responsible thing available - sell the planet to a group of extraterrestrials with a lease-back option.

With some help from a friendly professor, who just happens to know everything and who pops up whenever he's needed,
Andrea Johnson
Sep 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great story!

This book reads like a mash-up of "Hitchhiker's Guide" and a Simon Pegg movie, and it's excellent! Full of adventures and shenanigans; I couldn't put it down. The ride was like a roller-coaster going through a fun house. There's just too much going on for me to explain, or even summarize. You'll just have to read it for yourself.
Keith
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
Mostly Just “Eh?”

Too weird and spacey for me. Lots of current 2020 social issue references but so little storyline as leave me wondering why I bothered.
Andy Heeley
Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Planet Earth is in crisis. The global pandemic was swiftly followed by a global financial meltdown and everybody now feels a bit glum to say the least. However, global leaders have a solution - they've sold Planet Earth and now have the means to wipe out global debt. We will lease the planet back from our new cute and cuddly alien overlords and live happily ever after!

That is at least what most of the human race believe and they've started to party like there's no tomorrow. What they don't know
Paul
Oct 20, 2020
Greg
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Page in Your Diary
  • The Quiet Man (McGarry Stateside, #3)
  • Satan, Aliens, Go!: A novel (A Quantum Heart Trilogy Book 1)
  • The Vacuum of Space: A Funny Sci Fi Mystery (Space Janitor Book 1)
  • What If? Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions
  • Found
  • Need a Little Time
  • The Last Human
  • The Singularity Trap
  • The Atlantis World (The Origin Mystery, #3)
  • All These Worlds (Bobiverse, #3)
  • The Bullet Journal Method: Track the Past, Order the Present, Design the Future
  • For We Are Many (Bobiverse, #2)
  • Welcome to Nowhere
  • The Terran Privateer (Duchy of Terra, #1)
  • Radiation Hazard (A Stasis Story, #3)
  • Pamela 2.0: A Sci-Fi Sizzler (Sci-Fi Sizzlers Book 2)
  • The Wolf of the North (Wolf of the North #1)

News & Interviews