Start by marking “Animals at the Office” as Want to Read:
Animals at the Office

Animals at the Office

It's Gator's first day at his new office job, and he is surrounded by quirky personalities like the slow slug, the obedient dog, the aggressive hawk, and the chatty chicken. He is eager to fit in with his new co-workers, so he tries to be like them. But acting like everyone else doesn't work out for him, and he learns a valuable lesson about himself instead.

Featuring hand-
Published October 1st 2020 by Sarah Sommer

To ask other readers questions about Animals at the Office, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Animals at the Office

Start your review of Animals at the Office
Ibjoy1953 Hannabass
Nov 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I just adore this fun book of animals. Though it is a children’s book, adults can relate to many things in this book because it talks about Gator’s first day at the office. I love Gator and I can well relate to him! He deals with so many issues that I dealt with when I had those first days at the office. Mainly coping with the idea of whether or not I would fit in.

But this book is also fun and interesting for children of all ages because they love the inner action of these adorable animals. And
Angela Thompson
Oct 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Animals at the Office Entertains and Teaches an Important Life Lesson. The easy rhyming pages and brightly colored illustrations make the story perfect to hold younger readers or listeners' attention. Parents and older siblings will find the characters all too relatable to real-life "characters" in daily life! The author offers a handful of typical personalities that we all encounter in work or school--or even within our extended families. As the story progresses, readers will learn the value of ...more
Debbie Smith
Nov 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
The bright cover was the first thing to catch my attention. And when I opened up the book I wasn’t disappointed. The story is told in verse, and the illustrations work seamlessly with it.

After reading the book a few times, I’ve decided to list it under both the Adult and Picture Book headings. I’m convinced that it’s the perfect gift for someone who is either changing or starting a new job. Kids will certainly enjoy it, but perhaps not as much as adults since they can relate to employees at work
BreeAnn (She Just Loves Books)
Oct 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
This book was adorable. As someone who has worked in an office her entire adult life, I found the characters hilarious, and so like what you find in an office environment. The kids loved the animals and found the story to be a lot of fun!

This story is about an alligator that is starting his first day at the office and tries to take the advice of his co-workers on how to fit in. He finds that each co-worker’s advice is just not a good fit for him, and to truly find his rhythm at the office, he ne
Connie Carpenter
Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So, My children and I read this book when it came in the mail. We laughed and howled throughout it. It was full of colorful unique animals who worked in an office. I reread it today - and it had been a bad day at work. I found myself sitting on my couch laughing through it again. We see an alligator who is starting a new job. He is nervous and not sure what to expect. Each co worker he meets has a different office "personality". His cube mate - the slug reminds me of the sloth from Zootopia. He ...more
Stephanie Ward
Nov 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children aged 3-7
If you loved the TV sitcom The Office, you’ll chuckle all the way through Animals at the Office.

When Gator, the alligator, arrives for his first day at work, he meets a wonderfully diverse cast of office workers (that anyone who has spent time in a typical workplace will recognize). But Gator feels that he doesn’t fit in with the others. How can Gator stand out if he’s only trying to fit in?

So many sweet messages are seamlessly weaved throughout this book with a huge dose of humor. From self-ac
Lindsay
Ever been new somewhere or place. Well, this is a good book to teach your child or children a valuable lesson about yourself. Animals at the Office portray that meaning though out the book that you learn the value of you and your skills and being unique.

Children should not have to fit into to make friends or be part of a group. You should be able to be yourself and still know your values. This book shows that throughout. The pictures even show the emotions and actions of trying to be someone els
Vicki
Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Gator is  a bit nervous when he starts his new job and wants to fit in so he tries to be like the first animal he meets, Fred the slug. But that made him feel uncomfortable, so he tries acting like all the other animals in the office as he met them, but it just didn't feel right.

Finally, he goes to see his boss, a wise Owl and told her what was going on. She tells him to just be himself and everything would be ok.

He went back to work just being him, and from then on he got along just fine with a
Dawn
Oct 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I chose to read this book after receiving a free copy. All opinions in this review are my own and completely unbiased.

Such a colorful children’s book! Animals at the Office is about Gator and his first day working at an office. He tries to take advice from different employees and to be like them, but his boss tells him that he just needs to be himself. What a relief!

I read the hardcover and it’s about 9″ by 11 1/2″ so it’s perfect for reading to one or many children. The colors are vibrant and p
Jasmine
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Animals at the Office is an adorable children's book that follows an alligator on his first day at a new office job. He meets his co-workers and tries to fit in with them by acting like them, but soon discovers it's not quite working out. Alligator is ready to call it quits, thinking he's not cut out for his new job. Until he talks to his boss.
I really enjoyed this story. I read it with my son, and while he only really cared about the animals in the illustrations, I thought the story itself was
Betty
Nov 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this cute hardcover children’s picture book. The story is a lesson in finding and just being yourself. The delightful rhymes will ease anyone’s first day jitters whether you are a child or an adult.

The illustrations are hand-drawn art by Devan. She is a self-taught artist who uses mainly Sharpie markers to create the texture effects. I thought the illustrations of the animals were adorable.

Suggested ages 4-8
Virginia Winfield
Nov 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved the characters in this story. They are great illustrations. This story is great for kids starting a new school and it might help some adults who might be starting a new job also. Young children will love this story. I received a copy of this book from ireadbooktours for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will.
Amy
Oct 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Animals at the office is another great children's book by Sarah Sommer. My kids and I have read her books in the past and this one is my favorite. We enjoyed meeting Gator and learning some great life lessons along with him. Like we all do, Gator has butterflies when he is nervous, has anxiety of having to find a way to fit in and understanding the best way to cope with accepting himself, as well as, others. It is very important to learn that everyone is different and, also, everyone needs to be ...more
Sarah Sommer
Aug 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Jeanna Massman
Oct 23, 2020

• In the Nick of Time
  • My Hair Went on Vacation
  • This Is The Earth
  • Lies and Pumpkin Pies (Mitzy Moon Mysteries #10)
  • The Boy Between: A Mother and Son’s Journey From a World Gone Grey
  • BABY BEAR’S SPAGHETTI MISADVENTURES Very Short Misadventure Stories for ids and bears K – 1
  • The Red Ribbon (True Colors)
  • Anxious People
  • One Boy's War
  • The Gold Digger (True Colors)
  • How to Pack for the End of the World
  • Silence of Islands — Poems
  • The Light at Wyndcliff (Cornwall, #3)
  • The Haunting at Bonaventure Circus
  • The Alphabet's Alphabet
  • What if?
  • Brave Girl, Quiet Girl
  • What's Not Said
Sarah originally started writing children's picture books as an outlet from her office job, but her lyrical writing style and love for rhymes comes from her first career in music where she performed globally as a classical clarinetist. She is a passionate animal lover, and as a result, loves to incorporate animals into her stories. Sarah resides in Illinois and enjoys dark chocolate, sunshine, and ...more

News & Interviews