Start by marking “The Rules of the Game” as Want to Read:
The Rules of the Game

The Rules of the Game

2.8  ·  Rating details ·  55 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
From Leonard Downie Jr., longtime editor of The Washington Post, an eye-opening novel of corruption, deception, and intrigue in our nation’s capital.

Sarah Page, a rising star at the Washington Capital, has been assigned to cover the dark world of politics and money in Washington. But when she begins to investigate an influential lobbyist and his clients, she realizes that
Published January 13th 2009 by Knopf (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Rules of the Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rules of the Game

Mar 27, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Awful book to pick up just AFTER you've finished one of the best novels you've ever read . . . oh well . . . I was interested in this after a Fresh Air interview with the author, and, I will say the premise and political intrigue could have made a wonderful story. But . . . Downie is a really bad writer. Probably a great journalist, but not a novelist. Stilted language (leaves that flutter gently, men that are burly AND big), horrible dialogue, plot contrivances that were just too much to take-- ...more
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book. It was a good fiction book about political drama in Washington DC. I liked the variety of characters in it. I hope to read more books by this author. I got this book from the book exchange at the store that I have coffee at.
Paul Pessolano
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
Although "The Rules of the Game" is classified as a mystery, it is mainly a story that is political in nature.

Sarah Page is a reporter for the "Washington Capital" who is trying to make it big in the newspaper business. She begins to work on a story that will uncover the political and financial corruption in the United States Government.

Susan Cameron, who has just been elected Vic-President of the United States, finds herself the first woman President when the President dies.

Sarah finds herself
May 03, 2009 rated it liked it

Read just after Alexandra Berzon of LV Sun won (as part of team) the public service Pulitzer for coverage of construction deaths at CityCenter in LV and on LV Strip.

Main character is a young aggressive woman reporter at Washington Capital. (Downie is former editor at WashPost, which won many Pulitzers during his tenure).

Sarah Page is the heroine who uncovers corruption, almost gets killed several times, gets stymied on several stories by the female U.S. president herself.

Bookmarks Magazine
Apr 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: may-june-2009

Let's be clear: newspaper critics like books written by newspaper editors about newspaper reporting. With that filter in place, critics agreed that this smart debut novel provides an engrossing take on Washington politics; Downie's years of experience at the Washington Post and as a Washington insider give the novel an authenticity -- from the setting to the characters, all of whom seem to play by their own rules -- rarely found in the genre. But it is Downie's first work of fiction, and a few r

Mar 18, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Post employees, so they can see what a crappy writer Len Downie is.
Two stars is probably too generous. Why is Downie's prose so leaden and pedestrian? He retired from editing the Washington Post to write crap liks this? The plot is deeply ordinary, even by crappy thriller standards. Will a slutty young investigative reporter, who mysteriously wears the same sexy sleeveless black dress on every single date and interview, sleep with every single one of her sources on the way to uncovering bribery, corruption and murder reaching the highest levels of government? N ...more
Mar 10, 2009 rated it did not like it
I stopped reading this book at about 50-75 pages because it seemed like it was written from a formula: insert subplot here and a new character there; let there be a predictable affair here and a surprise character behavior there. I was looking forward to reading about the background politics and intrigues in Washington DC. I gave up when the stilted nature of the story didn't go away.
Caroline Mcphail-Lambert
Enjoyable read although at times I wasn't exactly sure what was going down.

The characters were believable although the protagonist spent too much time not listening to her inner voice. Immaturity perhaps, but disappointing.

Love the idea of a female president although not sure why author had to dis her near the end after building her up so much.

Cyndie Todd
Aug 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: journalists
Recommended to Cyndie by: Fresh Air/NPR
I don't ordinarily care for fiction, but for me this book combined the perfect elements to really draw me in - investigative journalism and high profile politics. Maybe not the best book I've ever read, but one that I have to say I enjoyed.
Jul 25, 2010 rated it did not like it
The journalist turned novelist in this case is a bad idea. Either have the courage to write what you know from your insider view as a real news story or learn how not to write predictable plots with bland dialog and cookie cutter action.
Feb 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
You can tell that Downie knows a lot about Washington politics and lobbyists and all of the smarmy slimy people that make politicians.

The story is meant to be a thriller and there are some interesting moments, but sometimes gets too bogged down in trying to get it "real" over building a story.
Jul 25, 2011 added it
Pretty weak book. No one writes good fiction about DC.
Apr 06, 2009 marked it as to-read
Gift for Eugene?
Feb 02, 2009 rated it liked it
ok, good on the politics, soft on intrigue

the tension seemed to drain out of it about two thirds thru
Brian Indrelunas
Feb 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
A good, intriguing novel that makes me miss reporting... and wonder if there's a Stetson-based sequel in the works.
Jan 04, 2014
Feb 05, 2009
Mar 09, 2011
Thomas Graves
Mar 13, 2018
May 16, 2010
rated it did not like it
Apr 28, 2014