Start by marking “The Darkest Whisper (Lords of the Underworld #4)” as Want to Read:
The Darkest Whisper (Lords of the Underworld #4)

The Darkest Whisper

(Lords of the Underworld #4)

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  40,881 ratings  ·  1,204 reviews
New York Times bestselling sensation Gena Showalter returns with her long-awaited next installment of the Lords of the Underworld series...

He is the keeper of Doubt and his entire world's about to be rocked.

Bound by the demon of Doubt, Sabin unintentionally destroys even the most confident of lovers. So the immortal warrior spends his time on the battlefield instead of the
Mass Market Paperback, 406 pages
Published September 1st 2009 by HQN Books (first published 2009)

·  40,881 ratings  ·  1,204 reviews

Start your review of The Darkest Whisper (Lords of the Underworld #4)
I think that the most oustanding aspect about this book is the Harpies. I think they stole the show and they were just my favorites.

Probably won't review this one since it was just okay for me and I really want to dive into the next books I truly want to re-read.
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
4 Kick-ass Harpy Stars

The Darkest Whisper is book 4 in the Lords of the Underworld series, and it was a good read. I liked Sabin the keeper of Doubt, but I didn't love him. He was hot and cold too much for me. He wanted Gwen, so he would stay away from her or act cold. I wanted more romance. Gwen on the other hand was amazing. The Harpies were so much fun. I thought Gwen and Sabin made a cute couple. Gwen and her sisters were interesting and I hope we get more harpy time. The plot was good.
Blacky *Romance Addict*

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Her gaze skittered away from him. “It was okay, I guess.”
He popped his jaw. It was okay. She guessed. She f*cking guessed. By gods, he’d give her another demonstration.

This is my favorite LOTU so far :) Great book with the first half of it being absolutely amazing <3

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The Lords have gone to Egypt searching for the third artifact that will help them find Pandora' Box, but instead of the artifact they find a Hunter facility full of pregnant woman, who are all immortal in some way.
One of the women i
Sophia Triad
Sabin:Demon of Doubt
Butterfly: on right rib cage and waist
His curse: His demon creates insecurities to everyone including unfortunate Sabin. His self-doubts do not let him be happy and they make him constantly miserable. Fighting and killing is his only pleasure.

Gwen Skyhawk or Gwendolyn the Timid:Harpy
Supernatural ability: She is an immortal (although for the time being is only 27 years old) and very strong (although she does not particularly crave violence). The great mystery is who Gwen’s fa
Exina
3.5 stars out of 5

The Darkest Whisper is the fourth book of the Lords of the Underworld series, the story of Sabin, Keeper of Doubt, and Gwen Skyhawk, a powerful harpy.
So powerful she is that Sabin’s demon goes into hiding every time she is around. So not taming the beast here, but intimidating it.

Sabin
I like Sabin, though he is often single-minded and stubborn. All he cares about is the war, and defeating their enemy. And in this regard he is not willing to take any risk.
“Everyone had a dee
DarienMoya
Apr 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Hot men Lovers. seriously these men are hot.
^^THIS WHISPER IS CUMMING OFF LOUD AND CLEAR!^^
4.5

I like to talk about all the ways I love this book, I was really disappointed with book 3 in the series even though I loved it. Reyes was keeper of pain, so I expected all kinds of painful lovemaking did I get that? Nope! Reyes needed to call 1-800-TALK-VISHOUS (BDB series) or 1-866-ASK-SHADE ( Demonica Series). Well The Darkest Whisper was a winner, for some darn reason I was fascinated and fell in love with Sabin. Moreover, I love when all th
Michelle
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
5 No room For Doubt Stars!
This is the fourth book in the Lords of the Underworld series. It's the story of Sabin and Gwen.
Sabin the keeper of doubt and the fierce leader of the Warriors. He lives and breaths nothing but stopping the hunters. War and battle first and everything else can wait. That is until he stumbles upon Gwen.
Gwen is half harpy and half angel. She's very timid until she gets angry. Look out when she's angry! lol
In the last book the Warriors are ready to travel to Egypt to loo
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Although The Darkest Whisper wasn't a perfect book, I loved it. This world of the Lords of the Underworld has really grabbed a hold on me.

I wasn't that keen on Sabin's character in the previous books, but I ended up adoring the guy. He's actually got some traits I like in a hero. I respect him for his incredible skill as a warrior and military tactician. I like that he's very focused and determined. He seems to have a sense of honor, for the most part. I turns out he's pretty sentimental about
Shawna
5 stars – Paranormal Romance

It’s been a while since I’ve immersed into the adventures of those sexy, angst-laden bad boy demon Lords, and I’d almost forgotten how much I love losing myself in their world.

I wasn’t too sure how I’d feel about The Darkest Whisper because Sabin (the keeper of the demon of Doubt) has never been one of my favorite Lords, but I was pleasantly surprised. As one of the LOTU leaders, he’s a total alpha who’s used to calling the shots and putting the war with the Hunters a
Larissa Ione
Mar 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I read this book a few months ago, but just realized I hadn't caught up on my ratings and reviews...anyway, I loved this book!!! Reyes is still my favorite hero, but I really loved how this book started out and came together. Gwen is a fabulous heroine, and I loved watching her grow stronger with every page.

Gena gives me a freaking inferiority complex every time I read one of the Lords of the Underworld books! :) She's awesome!

If you haven't read this series, I highly recommend you start at th
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Emily May
Mar 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: pnr, paranormal-uf, 2011

So... this, the fourth book in the Lords of the Underworld series, focuses on Sabin (keeper of doubt) who's previous luck with women has been pretty much non-existent as his tendency to generate doubtful thoughts leads to them becoming increasingly insecure and sometimes even going to the extreme of killing themselves over their personal doubts. Enter the Harpy: the only one capable of overcoming Sabin's demon - but, of course, she has some problems of her own to deal with first.

Sabin is now one
Azet
How did i even live before?I don`t remember and i don`t care because "Lords of the Underworld"series are freaking awesome!!!We have artifacts to find, Hunters to kill and a box to destroy.In mids of all this the fierce warrior Sabin keeper of the demon Doubt saves a red-haired harpy with the name Gwendolyn,a creature he can`t keep his eyes off and he finds himself gradually losing his heart to her.And oh my,how i loved watching the cynical and coldblooded warrior being brought down his knees by ...more
Deborah Obida
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don't know what I expected from Sabin but he is way cooler than I expected, he is also so modern, unlike the guys at Budapest, his love story is also amazing, he fell in love with a Harpy.

Gwen the Harpy is okay but not among my favourite females in this series, she started out so insecure and all even though she could take all the guys if it comes to a fight, it was towards the ending that she changed and became badass.

Just like the previous books, the guys and their women are still in this, t
Gary
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another five stars all round so many more people or immortals are coming to the party in this book there getting more and more interesting as I go along :)
Corinne Michaels
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really loved the progression of Sabin and Gwen. I loved watching her combat her Harpy and finally seeing her parentage--didn't see that one coming. I'm enjoying every word of these books and savoring them.
Kathrynn
Dec 03, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the series
I have mixed feelings about this book. It is the 4th installment in the Lords of the Underworld series and the author confirms this by stating it in her Intro. She has a few e-books on the LOTU, but they are numbered as .5, 3.5 here on GRs by ... yours truly. :-)

Enjoyed the first half of The Darkest Whisper. Sabin/Demon of Doubt came into the series after the other group of Lords rejoined their comrades--a book or so ago. They had a major falling out (1,000+ years ago) and went their separate w
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
Jen Davis
Whenever you have an ongoing series, you always run the risk that it will grow stale. Or even worse, jump the shark. I'm happy to say that this fourth installment in the Lords of the Underworld series, does neither. In fact, I didn't just like Sabin's story, I loved it.

Sabin, like all the Lords, shares his body with a demon. His demon is Doubt. And compared to some of the other guys, he got off easy. But Doubt has done its fair share of making Sabin's life difficult. The biggest problem is that
ReadToBreathe
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars for Gwen and the other warriors, but definitely not for Sabin.

Holly hell this book was like a slap on the face. The last hundred pages were so pact with action and revealing secrets that made my heart pound in my head.

I have come to realize that I mostly read these books because of the heroines not the heroes because I'm sure that I hated and still hate Sabin from the beginning till the last page. I don't care if he was redeemed or that he finally admitted that he loved Gwen. I hated
Gokce ~Muslin Myst~
Buggy
The Lords Of The Underworld is a fantastic paranormal series that I highly recommend. Filled with sexy, tortured heroes, sizzling love scenes and fun action-filled story lines. I enjoyed the first book The Darkest Night and loved books 2 & 3 The Darkest Pleasure & The Darkest Kiss however book 4 turned out to be my least favorite.

THE DARKEST WHISPER is Sabin's story and he's the keeper of the demon doubt. This gorgeous immortal warrior spends his time on the battlefield because his demon forces
Holly
Dec 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Alright. Loved the Harpies. They reminded me of Kresley Cole's Valkyries.

I liked Sabin. He was certainly ruthless and I liked Gwen as well. While there was a lot of romance between the two of them, I also feel like their love story was not the main focus of the book. While I liked Sabin and Gwen, I liked the book as a whole better.

And while I loved the Harpies, I was also leery of how powerful they were. Since Gwen can kick so much butt by herself, if all the Harpies were together it seems lik
Cindy
Aug 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keepers
Sabin, keeper of Doubt, merciless warrior, driven leader and all-round badass. Gwendolyn the Timid, poster child for the self-esteem challenged, current captive and all-round victim. And they fall for each other so hard it registers on the Richter scale. This is a pairing worthy of Nina Bangs' Sparkle Stardust, the cosmic troublemaker who specializes in creating sexual havoc by matching total opposites [to their eventual delight:] to watch the fireworks.

Gwen is a Harpy - who is afraid of her 'in
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
This is my favourite book of the series so far! I loved both Sabin and Gwen, as well as the glimpses in to the other Lords lives. Especially Aeron I can't wait for his book, and I think Legion is so cute! I think I may be in the minority in this regard though.

Oh and NIX! Nix from IAD was in it briefly! I would love to have a cross over between the two series, but apparently that isn't gonna happen
Zeek
Showalter's Lords of the Underworld series is about a group of former guardians to the Gods who ages ago opened Pandora's box and unleashed hell. Unfortunately, as payment for their deeds, they were each assigned a demon from the box to inhabit them to keep the chaos unleashed in check.

After all this time the Lords have learned to live with their misdeed, however noble their thinking might have been at the time. It's not easy to keep their own personal demons in check, but they're dealing.

In The
Kate
I think along with Lucien and Anya's book. This book is also one of my favorites. I'm never sure hen I start reading TLoTU series but in saying that I love it every single time. I'm also so sad when I finish the book. I want to savor these books that's why I don't read them all in one sitting.

Sabin the Keeper of Doubt the ultimate soldier who won't let anything or anyone get in his way to win the ongoing war. They are in Egypt looking for the other artifacts where they stumble across Hunters who
Leah
Dec 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, m-f, adult-lit, reread
❧A Bookish Berkeley Girl❧
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Gosh..Sabin and Gwen❤️

This one is MY FAVORITE....it is the one with the most action, and I love these two to pieces. I'm jealous of my name sake "Gwen" and yes, I would love to jump into this world and be her....wings and all❤️

The book as a whole....loved!
Aug 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Loved the tiny but probably important role Nix (from IAD by Kresley Cole) played. I loved Sabin. I loved how we learned a bit more about Legion and Aeron's relationship, cuz it was weird. Maybe aeron's story with the angel will be next? or Torin and Nix? I can't wait!
Gena Showalter Fans: The Darkest Whisper (LOTU #4) 2 59 Feb 13, 2020 09:51PM
Gena Showalter Fans: Help with themed present for sister 4 10 Sep 30, 2019 12:19AM

• Dark Desires After Dusk (Immortals After Dark, #5)
  • Kiss of a Demon King (Immortals After Dark, #6)
  • No Rest for the Wicked (Immortals After Dark, #2)
  • Demon from the Dark (Immortals After Dark, #9)
  • Desire Unchained (Demonica #2)
  • Dreams of a Dark Warrior (Immortals After Dark, #10)
  • Deep Kiss of Winter (Includes: Immortals After Dark, #7; Alien Huntress, #3.5)
  • Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night (Immortals After Dark, #3)
  • Night Embrace (Dark-Hunter, #2)
  • Dark Needs at Night's Edge (Immortals After Dark, #4)
  • Pleasure of a Dark Prince (Immortals After Dark, #8)
  • Passion Unleashed (Demonica #3)
  • Dark Skye (Immortals After Dark, #14)
  • Midnight Rising (Midnight Breed, #4)
  • Shadow's Claim (Immortals After Dark, #12; The Dacians, #1)
  • Lothaire (Immortals After Dark, #11)
  • Midnight Awakening (Midnight Breed, #3)
  • Sin Undone (Demonica #5)
Gena Showalter is the New York Times and USA TODAY bestselling author of over seventy books, including the acclaimed Lords of the Underworld series, the Gods of War series, the White Rabbit Chronicles, and the Forest of Good and Evil series. She writes sizzling paranormal romance, heartwarming contemporary romance, and unputdownable young adult novels, and lives in Oklahoma City with her family an ...more

Lords of the Underworld (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld #1)
  • The Darkest Kiss (Lords of the Underworld #2)
  • The Darkest Pleasure (Lords of the Underworld #3)
  • The Darkest Passion (Lords of the Underworld #5)
  • The Darkest Lie (Lords of the Underworld #6)
  • The Darkest Secret (Lords of the Underworld #7)
  • The Darkest Surrender  (Lords of the Underworld #8)
  • The Darkest Seduction (Lords of the Underworld #9)
  • Wicked Nights (Angels of the Dark, #1, Lords of the Underworld #9.25)
  • Beauty Awakened (Angels of the Dark, #2, Lords of the Underworld #9.5)