Start by marking “Restored (Enlightenment, #5)” as Want to Read:
Restored (Enlightenment, #5)

Restored

(Enlightenment #5)

Eighteen years ago, Henry Asquith, Duke of Avesbury had to leave his kept lover, Kit Redford, in order to devote himself to raising his young family. Now, a lifetime later, his children are moving on and for the first time in years, Henry is alone.

During a rare visit to London, Henry unexpectedly happens upon an old friend of Kit’s and learns that Kit did not receive the f
Published October 28th 2020

Start your review of Restored (Enlightenment, #5)
Richard Derus
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: downloads, quiltbag
Real Rating: 4.75* of five

I am much closer to seventy than I am to fifty. As hard as that fact is to swallow...Alanis Morissette and her bloody "Jagged Little Pill" begone!...it is the truth. And a corollary of that truth is that one becomes pretty much invisible at this age. My Young Gentleman Caller, unwilling to lie to my face, spins it as his insurance policy: Pretty young things don't look at me, so he doesn't have to stalk them with murderous intent!

I might be an old bastard, but I'm a *lu
Cadiva
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Utter perfection.

This book was everything I hoped it would be and much, much more. Kit Redford has always fascinated me whenever he's appeared in this series of books from Joanna.

Henry, Duke of Avesbury, we last saw bursting into Simon Reid's office when he was meeting Murdo and David in The Bequest and in obvious distress.

In this book we find out why. Poor Henry has spent 18 years believing his Christopher was comfortably living in the house he'd bought for him with a yearly stipend and a nice
Simone - on indefinite hiatus  -
***4 Stars***

No one - I repeat: - NO ONE can compete with David and my Murdo (yes, MINE! and be warned, I'll get pretty growly over him! ;-)), and yet I loved Kit and Henry together. I mean, a sort of historical m/m version of Indecent Proposal?

Sign me up! Well, not that I liked that movie overly much, but here the storyline totally worked for me and these guys were surprisingly hot. :)

I had a few niggles, though. The editing, for one. If I were the author I would fire my editor. Nah, I pro
Ariana  (mostly offline)
3,5 stars

Darn. I really wanted to love this.
The potential for an explosive story for Kit and Henry seemed written in the stars.
I hate to say it left me lukewarm.

And here is why:

The first half of the book is extremely slow, with the MCs only meeting once at 35% for one conversation. (I admit, Mcs meeting so late in the book is a pet hate of mine)
The rest consists mainly of lengthy backstories for almost every Tom, Dick and Harry that pops up in this book, and monologuing narrative.
Some of this
Lisazj1
4.5 stars! I loved this, and I have to admit that I was a little worried going in.

I'm one of the many, many utterly devoted fans of David and Murdo 😍, so I had very high expectations for book 4. And as often happens, those expectations ended up with disappointment. Happily, this time I didn't feel let down at all. 🥰

I'll also admit that the first part of the book was a little slow, but mostly I was interested in what happened to them in the years they were apart, and normally, seperation of the M
Caz
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I've given this an A- at AAR, so that's 4.5 stars rounded up.

Reading Restored was like a balm to the soul.  It’s a beautiful – and beautifully written - story of love, forgiveness and second chances that I practically inhaled and which left me with a warm glow and a book hangover of the best kind.  It’s book five in the author’s Enlightenment series, but it’s not necessary to have read the rest to be able to enjoy Restored, as it’s only loosely linked to them and works perfectly as a standal
Nelly S. on semi-hiatus

“Kit had once despaired at how much he loved Henry—the young god who looked certain to crush his heart.
Who had indeed done so.
But this Henry was a man that Kit could trust with his heart. This Henry was a man who had already set his own bruised heart on a silver tray and handed it to Kit, without knowing what damage Kit might do to it. Trusting that Kit would not hurt him, but willing to be hurt if it came to that.
This Henry—softer, more vulnerable, and entirely less godlike—was
Leslie
**Now Available!**

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5 I am Restored Stars
🔥🔥🔥/5 Heat Level

If you read my reviews, you already know how bonkers I am about David and Murdo, the couple from the first three books in this series. They are the couple that got me into historical romance. So Kit and Henry had big shoes to fill. Book four was just ok for me so I'm glossing over that one. Did they end up filling those shoes? Not entirely, no. I am beginning to think that would be impossible. David and Murdo are pure perfection
W.
Kit and Henry

I have been waiting for Kit and Henry's story for what it seems forever. And it was worth the wait because Joanna Chambers did justice to these two memorable and wonderful characters.

Restore is a beautifully written , sexually descriptive and emotional satisfying tale of second chance romance.

Restore is on the top 5 second chance romance I have read this in 2020. One of the things it makes it so special and different from everything else is the age and m
Elena

Let’s get the obvious out of the way: it will be really difficult for any couple in this “series”—universe?—to ever reach David and Murdo’s level.
That established, I enjoyed Henry and Kit’s story. Much more than Iain and James’s from book 4, in fact. They’re both second-chance romances, so comparing the two was inevitable, and I found the characters and the structure of this book much more to my taste than Iain and James and the alternation of past and present in Unnatural. Aside from
Ami
3.75 stars rounded up

Hmmm, considering that Kit and Henry were separated for 18 years, I felt that this story didn't have the level of angst that I anticipated, and it threw me off a little bit. Despite Kit's initial anger towards Henry, once he learned about Henry's reasons and that what happened afterwards (view spoiler), the reunion and forgiveness came rather quickly.

On top of that, I felt that the story had other things going on, like the proble
Lelyana's Reviews
...There was something about hearts,. They looked quite small, but they could hold a lot - and all kind of love at the same time, some of which could not be neatly boxed and labelled...

Restored is perfect. It has everything I needed in a romance, let alone a historical romance, my favorite of all time. Joanna Chambers delivered the story gracefully smooth, sweet, bitter, sexy, heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time.
Christopher/ Kit was a kept man, sold his body to service ge
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Thank you so much for the gift, Sir Reginald Percival Elfcelsior Whiskerbottom!
suz ~Always Reading~
Restored is a beautiful story about love, loss, forgiveness and re-connecting. Kit and Henry are both outstanding characters that have given up so much. They spend 18 years apart but never lose the love they have for each other.

Henry has given up not only his lover, Christopher, but the part of himself that is truly who he is at his core when his wife becomes ill and they move out of the city to the country. Once his wife passes Henry puts everything he has into raising his children. He always t
Rielle
Jul 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
A sweet story about second chance love set in the regency era.

Kit and Henry were amazing together! The absolute sweetest couple. It broke my heart to read about their separation and years apart, but it somehow felt necessary. They both grew into themselves and lived full lives apart. It made seeing them come together again so satisfying.

This was also one of those rare books where I loved all of the secondary characters. Each character was there to enhance the story and didn’t take up too much pa
☆☆☆~Bev's World of Books~☆☆☆

A sheer delight. I was so happy when I heard that Joanna was reprising her Regency 'Enlightenment' world, but this time with Kit Redford in the starring role, and this second chance story certainly did not disappoint. Henry and Kit were fabulous of course, and I loved every single character [other than Percy and Silas and his cronies naturally]. Of course, the problem now is...I want a HEA for George and possibly Jake too, but not together methinks...George is probably too quiet and inexperi
Kay
Sep 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So thrilled Ms. Chambers is revisiting this world - the original trilogy remains one of my all-time faves.
GeishaX
May 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
4.8 Stars

A nearly perfect historical m/m romance.

After I was slightly disappointed after volume 4 of Joanna Chambers Enlightenment series, I put reading volume 5 off for a while. My fear proved unfounded. In the end I thought this story about Christopher Redford, the owner of the previously in the series mentioned Redford-Club t who had a short appearance in volume 4 and his counterpart Henry Asquith, Duke of Alvesworth was from start to end ... SOOO GOOD! - really almost perfect.
The writing was
Elisa Glendenning
3.75 Stars

Although it may not have been in the same league as David’s/Murdo’s story, which quite frankly is a very tall order, this was a good second-chance/Regency romance between a Duke (Henry, 47) and his ex-whore (Kit, 41). After their affair came to an abrupt end, leaving Kit in dire circumstances, these mature MC’s get to reconnect after an 18 year separation. This time round, Kit’s situation in life is very different, bringing about a little role reversal 😍. Whilst I was perhaps, expectin
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
For what feels like months, maybe even a year, I've not felt much like reading fiction. I know, right?? Instead of being an escape, my emotional reserves weren't deep enough to handle even those evoked through imagination. I kept to short fan fics n such.

And then...

And *THEN*...

Came this!

And the "other thing"!!

Along with what felt like the first time in just as long that I could truly exhale!!!

Bring on the Chambers magic, y'all. Bring. It. ON.

There are many different directions this, the stor
.Lili.
Nov 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
True Loveislovereview
Oct 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
We meet Kit and Henry for the first time in the year 1818. Kit is a kept boy, kept by the sweet wealthy man Henry. Who's married with children and has permission to find his pleasure outside his marriage. The pleasure that turned into love, he loved Kit.
Then suddenly head over heels Henry has to leave.

In 1826, eighteen years later, Henry meets Kit again.
Probably Kit wasn't too fond of him, he never returned a letter.

Back in those days, Kit was in love with Henry, who left without a word. Now it
Em
Eighteen years ago, Christopher Redding was a kept man. Lover to Henry Asquith, Duke of Avesbury, he spent his days ensconced in the home provided for him by Henry, waiting - longing - for his lover to appear. He loved Henry and wished he could tell him how he felt. It was a battle to constantly - sternly - remind himself he was simply a whore and that a man like Henry couldn't possibly love him.

Eighteen years ago, Henry fell in love. After spotting Christopher dressed in a skimpy/sheer toga in
Rosa
Oct 31, 2020 rated it liked it
I liked this story quite a bit but there were some things that I didn't care about. This second chance story has good characters. I liked their voices, they aren't young men for the time standars and that shows in their behaviour and they way the face the world. The book structure also worked better for me than the one in Unnatural, all that back and forth didn't make any favour to that book. This time around, all the past events are concentrated at the beggining to allow us to get enough backgr ...more
Katie
May 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
3.75+ stars

This was a delightful and charming second chance read. I loved the prose and the thoughtful pauses and conversations between the characters.
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
Nov 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Well, this was pretty darn great and I have gone back and forth on the rating. I read this straight through in a few hours. It charmed me. It made me happy. It is not, however, perfect and I am not sure I will ever reread it so, alas, I cannot give it the elusive 5 stars. Solid, solid 4.5 though.

Complete catnip plot for me, a Duke, Henry, and his prostitute lover, Kit. Separated when they were still young (29 and 23 respectively) with Henry breaking Kit’s heart and failing to honour the promise
Gerbera_Reads
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, steamy
This book was everything I expected and wanted it to be! Ms Chambers didn't disappoint when it came to depth of emotions and people of different social standing finding happiness in time when their love was forbidden. Both Kit and Henry are men of strength, resilience and honor. But there is much more to each man: ability to love and forgive, ability to fight for what's right and be true to themselves. Told in dual POV, this is a story of second chances, aristocratic secrets and chosen family.

Th
Joyfully Jay
Oct 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

Restored is the fifth book in the wonderful Enlightenment series by Joanna Chambers. I first read the original trilogy way back in 2013, and revisited it again in audio in 2017. While the trilogy features the same couple throughout in David and Murdo, books 4 and 5 are standalones set in the same world.* While there is a blink and you’ll miss it cameo here, everything else about this book feels totally separate from the series and you will have no problem startin
Mirjam

Christopher "Kit" Redford, one-and-forty, owns Redford’s, an discreet Gentlemen's club. But Kit has not always been this fortunate, as he once was a whore depending on his current protector.

Henry Asquith, Duke of Avesbury, seven-and-forty, widower and father of three children. Eighteen years ago he was Kit's protector but was abruptly forced to leave town and Kit.

Henry is back in town and accidently learns of the horrids that had befallen Kit after his hasty departure. Determined to make amends
Kazza
3.75 (it could have been 5) Stars

I’ve never read Joanna Chambers before but their covers are always enticing and I know their books are very popular. So I decided to have a look-see. I was in a mood for historical reading and this sounded good. I’m going to say that it was good with a “but” attached. It was good but the editing was not up to par. It let an endearing couple and story down.

He gave hopeless laugh – “a” missing after “gave”

Kit’s heart thundered his chest – “in” missing. I suffer fro
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Wanted, A Gentleman
  • A Gentleman's Position (Society of Gentlemen, #3)
  • King's Man (Outlawed #1)
  • The Gentle Art of Fortune Hunting
  • An Unnatural Vice (Sins of the Cities, #2)
  • The Last Kiss
  • Subtle Blood (The Will Darling Adventures, #3)
  • A Seditious Affair (Society of Gentlemen, #2)
  • Tommy Cabot Was Here (The Cabots, #1)
  • The Ruin of Gabriel Ashleigh (Society of Gentlemen, #0.5)
  • Peter Cabot Gets Lost (The Cabots, #2)
  • Lord of a Thousand Steps (Love in Laguna, #4)
  • In This Iron Ground (Natural Magic #1)
  • Gilded Cage (Lilywhite Boys #2)
  • Flirting with Fire (Shore Thing, #3)
  • The Black God's Drums
  • The Sugared Game (The Will Darling Adventures, #2)
  • The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal
Joanna Chambers' muse likes red wine, coffee and won't let Joanna clean the house or watch television.

If you came here looking for a copy of The Bequest you can get it here:

If you're looking for Seasons Pass, go here:

Enlightenment (5 books)
  • Provoked (Enlightenment, #1)
  • Beguiled (Enlightenment, #2)
  • Enlightened (Enlightenment, #3)
  • Unnatural (Enlightenment, #4)