Start by marking “Sanditon” as Want to Read:
Sanditon

Sanditon

3.46  ·  Rating details ·  1,216 Ratings  ·  140 Reviews
Set in 19th-century England, this gripping novel satirizes the pretentiousness and duplicity in relationships. Austen's death did not allow her to complete this entertaining piece and it was later finished by another writer.
Published September 1st 2009 by Hesperus Press (first published 1817)

To ask other readers questions about Sanditon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sanditon

Kalliope

Even though I read a biography of Jane Austen recently, as part of my homage to her as in 2017 we are commemorating two hundred years since she died, it has not been until I have read this unfinished novel that I have felt the sorrow at her early death.

Her prose is superb. It flows even though it is clearly sharply forged. Her observant eye is acute and her humorous irony is as keen as a scalpel. And her subtle references to the world in which she wrote and lived, with the West Indian fortunes a
Teresa
Reread -- I read it in this edition: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...

I won’t rate this as it was unfinished at the time of Austen’s death (12 chapters that add up to fewer than 60 pages in my edition) but it was on its way to being at least a 4-star read.

The words flow: there’s nary a breath in the characters’ speeches, yet they are easy to follow. The skewering of the rich with too much time on their hands—their obsessive land speculations, their ridiculous hypochondria, their dangerou
Laurel
A satirical look at 19th-century business speculation, hypocondria and novel reading

On the 27th January, 1817 Jane Austen began work on a novel that is now known as Sanditon. It was never completed. Her declining health robbed her of what she dearly loved most, writing, and on the 18th of March 1817 after penning 22,000 words she wrote the last lines of chapter twelve and put down her pen. Four months later at age 41 she would succumb to what is generally believed to have been Addison’s disease.
Cyndi
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story was such a good start. Of course, we who love Jane Austen know that she couldn't finish it, because of her illness. So we will have to wonder where the story goes.
The story follows a group of people at a health spa, so you gotta figure this went along with her illness and the many methods she used to treat herself. The characters in the story are funny and well developed in just a short while. I always wonder if she based her characters on people she knew or an amalgamation of peopl
Diane S ☔
Aug 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
2.5 It seems that one is either and Jane Austen fan or one is not. I apparently am not. It n=may have been the fashion of the time, to use twenty words when 5 will suffice but all that round and round just makes my head hurt. I do like her ironic perception on how people secretly feel and view others but in this one there is not much of that. So this will be my last Jane Austen and I cannot say I am sorry. After all many people dislike Middle march and I love it.
Serena.. Sery-ously?
QUESTO mi è piaciuto!
Le sorelle ipocondriache sono il top, amate tantissimo, AHAHAHAHAH!
E valà, anche io sono finalmente riuscita a cogliere la famosa ironia della Austen, che forse fino ad ora era stata troppo timida per presentarsi.. :D

Madeline Wright
Apr 12, 2013 rated it liked it
I should admit that I only read this so that I would be ready to experience the "Welcome to Sanditon" webseries which starts today (Find it on youtube). The book itself is an unfinished story/manuscript by Jane Austen that doesn't quite have much of a plot. Storywise it's a sparse, meandering introduction to the place and the people involved in a health resort town by the sea called Sanditon.

There's also a bit of backstory about the Denhams and the Parker family with several hypochondriac membe
Ena Rusnjak Markovic
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Totally devastated that Austen died before finishing this book. It's so funny and smart and promising. Signals an interesting turn in setting. I just would have loved to have seen it realised. It makes me despair that she was taken from us in her prime. I wonder what her ouvre would look like had she lived longer.
Gaetano
Piacevole da leggere anche se evidentemente incompleto.

Indispensabile lettura per chi... vuole leggere TUTTO di Jane Austen!
Siria
Jan 21, 2010 rated it liked it
This is one of the more visually interesting editions of a Jane Austen novel that I own—admittedly I'm a little confused as to why there is a chicken on the cover, but it is striking.

I'm never sure, when reading Sanditon, if it reads as it does because it was a rough draft written by a woman already very ill, or if it is evidence of a change in Austen's writing style. In its subject matter and themes, it feels more early Victorian than Regency. With such a small scrap of a novel, it's hard to d
Pgchuis
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Re-read this unfinished novel ready for the next Pemberley Digital adaptation. Very funny. Wish she had lived to finish it.
Leah
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am sorry to say I didn't love this book, but it could be because it most notably ended when it was just beginning. So much potential that it really is quite a tragedy Jane Austen died before she could give the world one last gem. I will only give it 4 stars for what could have been, for though the setting up was slow and a little tedious, I was interested enough to wish for more, and 3 stars would be ungenerous given the author had no authority over her untimely and early demise.
Roberta
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
So sorry that she died before completing this book (as well as many others!), as it has all of the markings of a fun, typical J.A. Book!
Plan to locate and read the version where someone else finished this book..... maybe?
Cynda
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am glad to see Austen's story about the English Coast. I remember when in Emma Isabella and her family go to the coast for a healthyear vacation and when in Emma Lydia go to the coast and found a disreputable husband. I had wondered why Austen did not write and publish a coastal or watering story. Here is it.
This story Jane stopped writing when her father died. Big Life Change. I would have so like to seen how she would dealt with the aristocratic family, particularly the young man's romantic
Briar Rose
It was really hard to read this knowing it was just a fragment of an unfinished novel. I expected to be frustrated and disappointed. But I wasn't. I loved reading it. Although this is just an early draft, and Austen no-doubt would have reworked the manuscript before publication, there's a fully realised book here. The 11 chapters are a perfect start to a novel, sketching out an impoverished heroine, a seaside town and its eccentric inhabitants, and hinting at some intrigue and romance.

This desc
Alice
Nov 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Je ne vais pas revenir sur le gâchis que fut la mort de Jane Austen si jeune ou encore débattre du droit d'achever l'oeuvre d'une autre ou non. Le sujet est délicat et chacun a son opinion sur le sujet, mais lorsque les choses sont faites avec passion et respect à la fois, il est plus facile de se laisser convaincre.

En me lançant dans cette (re)lecture, je retrouve d'abord avec ravissement la plume de Jane Austen. C'est amusant quand même de se rendre compte à quel point cela ne cesse jamais d
Eliza
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cartaceo

Recensire Jane Austen mi mette sempre una certa agitazione, lo ammetto.
La Austen abbandonò Sanditon pochi mesi prima della morte, lasciandolo, insieme a I Watson, incompiuto. Anche in questo caso abbiamo le prime pagine di quello che ha tutte le potenzialità per essere un nuovo grande romanzo dell'amata scrittrice inglese.

Se ne I Watson il perno intorno al quale ruota la storia è il matrimonio, in Sanditon abbiamo le grandi ambizioni di Mr Parker per il pi
Jolene
May 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
This review pertains to the Hesperus edition of the original and never completed story "Sanditon" by Jane Austen. For a Jane Austen fan, reading this work is bittersweet. While it is one final taste of her ingenious use of satire, it very much leaves the reader wishing for the rest of the novel and, indeed, imagining what other works she would have written had she been given more time.
The story begins with a carriage accident and an ensuing conversation of a delightfully ridiculous nature betwe
Ana Rînceanu
If this were a complete novel and not just a fragment of the beginning, I would say that the novel started out a bit on the slow side. Charlotte Heywood is our heroine but I didn't have a chance to get to know much about her aside from her astute power of observation.

There are several authors who have undertaken writing a continuation to this story and I'm curious about checking out either the 1975 Marie Dobbs/ Anne Telscombe book Sanditon or the 2009 book Sanditon: Jane Austen's Unfinished Mast
Nell
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: would-recommend
If only this wasn't Austen's unfinished fragment - if only she had lived long enough to see it to its completion. Having read her more popular canon, I was impressed by the larger breadth Sanditon started to encapsulate. The writing style is far more unguarded, the wit is even more socially prescient, and the characters are fresh. Had this been finished, and if it had kept to this model, I have a feeling that Austen's work might have been immortalized in a far less socially stagnant light.
Emma Petfield
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's a shame that we'll never know the intentions for this book but I'll enjoy coming up with my own ideas and reading other people's interpretations. It was a good set up and the characters had just started to really gain a depth that they were putting to use before Austen unfortunately passed away.
Rose A
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wonderful to reread Sanditon and find so much of interest a second time round. Brutal caricatures, Jane Austen's typical wit and such a tantalising mystery of where it might have gone! Who was the heroine, who the hero? Did it have one? Was Austen trying something new? It's really deserving of far more attention than it gets.
Jenny
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I forgot how much I love Jane Austen's take on English society in the Regency era : ) The characters' daily lives are perceived as whimsical and dramatic and the only steadfast person in a cast of crazy people is the heroine herself!
Cecilie
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2013
It's hard to give an unfinished story stars, but what I read was 5 stars, but it's hard to judge when I don't have the ending (Which I really wish that I did). When I finished this my reaction was basically: "Give me the end!!"
Amanda
May 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Of course I had to read "Sanditon", if only because it's preparation for the latest adaptation of a Jane Austen piece by the people who produced "The Lizzie Bennett Diaries". The story is unfinished, so I'm curious to see how they will make it work.
Gemma
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Now I'm missing Lady Susan and I will be finished with EVERYTHING Jane Austen has written lol
Hadley Ellis
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: regency, clean
How to review an unfinished novel? Having just finished rereading Sanditon, I admit to feeling rather bereft. Of course I knew it would end abruptly, but that didn't make it any less jarring. Why? Because Jane Austen created such a fascinating, rich world, it is incredibly painful to suddenly get pulled out of it without a proper middle or ending. I truly wanted to keep reading.

Now, on to reviewing what I did read--
This is not an intimate novel, this was going to be something larger. It is hard
Vel Veeter
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: cbr-9
In this collection, which I will separate out, we have two unfinished novels and one short novel by Jane Austen. For the most part, I don’t know what to tell you. I will explain why I don’t trust unfinished novels. Well, because they weren’t finished. So any take we have on them is necessarily partial, incomplete, and somewhat uninformed. But Jane Austen is a known quantity, so it’s bizarre to see this first, Sanditon, as anything more than a completist task or an academic exercise. It’s feels s ...more
Carole Rae
This piece of work was one that Miss Austen never got to finish. She died before being able to complete this. So it is a hard rough draft for sure and only about 60 pages (depending on what edition you read).

Even though this was never finished it is a must read, especially if you are an Austen fan. It is interesting to see a work in progress by an accomplished author like her. There is not a lot of plot here. It just seemed like possible scenes and possible dialogue. There is some character bui
Matilda
Ma chroniques complète sur le blog

Il y a quelques temps, le livre de poche a réédité Sanditon de Jane Austen continué par une autre dame. En effet, à la fin de sa vie, en 1817, après la rédaction de Persuasion, elle a le temps de rédiger onze chapitres pour ne plus pouvoir jamais y revenir. J'étais contente d'avoir trouvé chez Gibert l'ancienne édition continuée, puisqu'il n'y a rien de plus frustrant que de se laisser emporter une histoire et d'être stoppée dans son élan comme on l'est ici, san
Goodreads Librari...: Sanditon 5 28 Sep 09, 2014 12:46AM
  • The Watsons and Emma Watson
  • Lady Vernon and Her Daughter
  • Fitzwilliam Darcy Such I Was
  • A Dance with Jane Austen: How a Novelist and Her Characters Went to the Ball
  • Die Säulen der Erde / Die Tore der Welt
  • Jane Austen: An Illustrated Treasury
  • So You Think You Know Jane Austen?
  • Why Jane Austen?
  • The List Lover's Guide to Jane Austen
  • Lady Anna
  • Cassandra and Jane
  • Eyewitness to History
Jane Austen was an English novelist whose works of romantic fiction, set among the landed gentry, earned her a place as one of the most widely read writers in English literature, her realism and biting social commentary cementing her historical importance among scholars and critics.

Austen lived her entire life as part of a close-knit family located on the lower fringes of the English landed gentry
More about Jane Austen...

“The novels which I approve are such as display human nature with grandeur” 0 likes