Start by marking “The Witch's Garden” as Want to Read:
The Witch's Garden

The Witch's Garden

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  85 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
"Run, dearies! It's a dragon!" the witch said.
Published April 1st 1979 by Hastings House Book Publishers (first published 1978)

Miriam
Oct 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: younger
This is my third Ruth Chew book. They have all been pretty similar: a couple of pleasant but very forgettable kids have some fantastical but very mild adventures.

I read this book last night and have already forgotten the names of the two kids: something common and Anglophone like Susie and Paul. While engaged in the forbidden naughtiness of roasting hotdogs over a fire, they go to get more wood from the garden of the empty house next door, which turns out not to be empty. They have a new neighbo
Veronica The Demigod
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a very good book and I think that any one who likes to find a book to read in under a certain time frame this is the book for you! I hope you read it and like it as much as I did!
HeavyReader
Jan 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of magic and/or Ruth Chew
Shelves: ruth-chew
This is some great Ruth Chew!

The story follows the formula pretty well. A girl and a boy (cousins this time, rather than brother and sister) find magic practically in their own back yard. (The magic is actually in the yard next door, in the long abandoned house where now lives--you guessed it--a witch!)

My favorite scene is when the kids fly around on the giant flower petals. That sounds like a lot of fun.

The end of the book comes too quickly and is rather abrupt, but that's a problem I'm willing
Crystal Allen
Ruth Chew was one of my favorite authors during my childhood. I have fond memories of reading her Witch books. They fostered my love for children's literature.
Chade66
Aug 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2011, childrens
Not at good as The Witch's Buttons or No Such Thing as a witch, but still respectable!
Courtney
Apr 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
A witch moves next door to a girl and boy, and they have magical adventures when they discover what is in her garden.
Jennifer Priester
Jason Oatridge
rated it it was ok
Jul 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Ruth Chew is the author of a number of popular books for young readers, including Secondhand Magic and The Wednesday Witch. She was born in Minneapolis and grew up in Washington, D.C. She studied art at the Corcoran School of Art and worked as a fashion artist. She was the mother of five children.
More about Ruth Chew...