Start by marking “The Uninvited” as Want to Read:
The Uninvited

The Uninvited

Published May 12th 2009 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about The Uninvited, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Uninvited

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard
Rarely do I actually write a review for a 1 star book. However I found The Univited so frustrating and borderline offense that I feel the need to explain my feelings.

I was iffy about this book when they introduced the main character driving down the road just wearing a bra. Not a sports bra, but a bra and not for any real reason. When a male writer creates a female character who's beautiful, sexy and often not wearing many clothes, I'm a little leery. Sometimes it feels like male writers create
Dawn
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really thought this novel would be creepy and maybe have a supernatural component given the description and cover, but it didn't. I'm not really quite sure what the author was trying to accomplish. The novel is a bit like "Flowers in the Attic" meets the cast of "Friends". Not cool. I was drawn in my the storytelling, but it ultimately just didn't come together and the ending felt like a cheat.
Jennifer Wardrip
Jun 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed by Lynn Crow for TeensReadToo.com

When New Yorker Mimi drives all the way up into the Canadian wilderness to find the little house her artist father once used as a studio, she's just looking to spend some time alone - and away from an affair with a professor that has taken a nasty turn.

The last thing she expects is to find someone already occupying the house. Jay, a young musician struggling to find his muse, is more connected to Mimi than she first realizes. And so is the shy young man
Kathi
Jan 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this is a page turner! Three characters are drawn to a small, solitary house on a snye (read it to find out) for their own reasons. Of the three, two are completely unaware of the third except as a threat, an invisible menace.

But is the third the enemy? Or is the third the final key in discovering who each one really is?

I couldn't put this book down. And the setting itself, the house, the watery domain upon which it sits, becomes a character itself, pushing and pulling the three main charac
Catherine ♡
This was eerie at times, but overall I didn't think it was quite as thrilling or scary as I had hoped.
It wasn't exactly predictable, but the twists didn't shock me either, and although I did follow the general plot of the story and enjoyed specific scenes, there were other scenes that seemed unnecessary or simply confusing.
Tina
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: bored people with nothing else to do
Shelves: meh
This book reminds me of the practice books I had to read in my editing class at Ryerson. It has potential and was enjoyable, but it needed some work. Whoever edited it did a really lazy job.
I did like the characters – they weren’t overly complex (Cramer was getting there) but they were likeable; I never grew to care too much about them (aside from Cramer) but I didn’t hate them. The tone wasn’t bad – it started out a little creepy and the creepiness came back at a few instances, but it could ha
Alex
Jul 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
A little bit spooky, a little bit eerie, a whole lot of family problems. The three young ones, Mimi, Jay, and another guy Cramer, act as the main characters. The viewpoint switches from each of those characters often.

The story is just so compelling. It’s very hard to put down, especially towards to the end. Actually no. At the end, it is impossible to put down. I just had to speed through it to figure out what’s happening.

Basically, there are two mysteries. One is introduced in the synopsis, bei
Sarah Evans
Nov 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: washyarg
Despite the title and eerie cover art, this is not a ghost story, nor is it much of a thriller, but actually a twisted drama. First we meet Cramer, a young man trying desperately to keep his mentally disturbed mother from falling to pieces. We sense that his mother’s emotional abuse and crazy demands to support her attempts at art has warped his life. Next we meet our main character, Mimi, whose first year at NYU turned disastrous when the married professor she hooked up with became possessive a ...more
Ashley
Apr 17, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had the longest review I have ever written typed up for this book, and my browser unexpectedly closed. WOE. I may type it all up again one day if I can find the motivation, but here is a Sparks Notes version:

The stupid plot. (view spoiler)
Rebecca McNutt
Mar 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Not a bad setting and all, but I honestly didn't find this thriller to be very thrilling, and I thought the characters were boring.
Asha R
Nov 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
In a perfect little town, where everyone is kind and friendly, there is a person who doesn't really draw attention to themselves. They’re the kind of person someone would meet, but later on wouldn't really remember because they didn't leave a big impression on them. This person may seem nice, but people don’t know about all the bad things they have done.

In the book The Uninvited by Tim Wynne-Jones, that person in the little town is Cramer Lee. In this realistic fiction the first wrong thing of
Caitlin Elizabeth
Aug 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
I THOUGHT THIS BOOK WOULD NEVER END.

I'm not a quitter. I've never not finished a book. So I finished this one. But I'm pretty sure it took 84 years.

The pacing was slow. So slow. Not "building the intensity" slow but ACTUALLY PAINFULLY SLOW. I don't care if the main characters went out for margaritas. I don't care if Mimi changed her clothes for the sixth time. I don't care if Cramer skulked mysteriously for the millionth time in a row. Nothing was happening.

Mimi was literally the most insufferab
Louise
Dec 05, 2009 rated it it was ok
Story Description:

Mimi Shapiro had a disturbing freshman year at NYU, thanks to a foolish affair with a professor who still haunts her caller ID. So when her artist father, Marc, offers the use of his remote Canadian cottage, she’s glad to hop in her Mini Cooper and drive up north. The house is fairy-tale quaint, and the key is hidden right where her dad said it would be, so she’s shocked to find someone already living there — Jay, a young musician, who is equally startled to meet Mimi and immed
Elizabeth K.
Jun 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Horn Book
Shelves: 2009-new-reads
I knew I had to read this book (not entirely in a good way) when I read a review that opened with "College freshman Mimi Shapiro plans a solitary vacation at her family's cottage in a remote part of Canada after she has an ill-fated affair with an NYU professor."

So that is in fact the opening, Mimi arrives at the cottage and discovers all sorts of mysterious things, such as the fact that someone else, a handsome music student on his way to graduate school, is already living there. The cottage,
Catherine
Nov 23, 2010 rated it did not like it
The cover of this book looks like its going to be a scary spooky story....but it's not.
The dialogue between characters is mostly contrived and unbelievable. The female main character (Mimi) is annoying and depressing (kinda like Bella in "Twilight"). The whole thing read like a bad movie/screenplay.
The following review by P. Donovan “English Teacher” (Mississauga,Ont) expresses my sentiments exactly!!....
This novel is anything but fresh and unique. In fact, it is little more than contrived and f
Lauren
May 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Mimi Shapiro is running. Running away from a disturbing first year at NYU to a small and creepy town in Nowhere, Canada. She hopes that while there for the summer, she can get her first screen play written, while coming to turns with what happened to her in the previous year.

Though nothing can stay perfect for long. When arriving at her father’s deserted old summer house she finds that someone else is living there too. Her long lost half brother, a half brother that has been having his own prob
Ashley Manzueta
Sep 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school-books
The Uninvited is a book about a girl named Mimi who goes away to live in house called the Snye that her father owns out in Canada. Mimi goes to Canada to get away from the affair shes been having with her former Professer, Lazer. Once she gets there she finds a guy living in her fathers house and finds out that he is actually her half brother, Jay, and that they have the same dad. there has been really wierd stuff happening there lately. A stranger named Cramer has inside the house for a while n ...more
Jane
Jun 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This was another "I-am-so-glad-I-read-it-books." An awesome mystery unfolds and then another and another... Just when you think you are going to solve the mystery, another change takes place. I wasn’t sure why this was in the YA books because of the two main characters ages- one is in college and the other graduated college. It does have swearing in it, but no intimate situations. You finish a troubling year in college after having had an affair with your professor and breaking it off only ...more
Audrey
Mar 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was a creepy, intense book. Set in an idyllic Canadian setting, family secrets and hints of incestuous thoughts build steady tension in The Uninvited. Throughout the book, we are unsure about who the real threat is. Once I began reading, I had to continue in order to find out what happens next. This is definitely a book to check out!
Daria
Mar 31, 2009 rated it liked it
This book wasn't quite as scary as I hoped it would be. I did like the suspense--even though it didn't have me on the edge of my seat, it did keep me engaged enough that I didn't want to put it down. I think I would have liked a bigger twist at the end. I also think it has an awesomely creepy cover.
Layla T
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was okay until the very end where the author used the most action that made it exciting and then he ended it in a cliff hanger which really made me upset because I wanted to know how all the characters are doing and if everything is okay. Otherwise I thought this book had some really boring parts as it repeated the same things over and over again. But, yet the way every event comes together is really cool.
Emi Ham
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
Correct
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
I thought it was going to be paranormal by the cover and title so I picked it up for lit circles, and WOW was I disappointed. Part of our project is creating a media product with a twist on the novel. So what did I do? Made a self-help genre. "How To Meet Your New Half-siblings: The Dos and Don'ts". Quite proud of my creation fueled by the disappointment I had in the book and characters.
Nola
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not as spooky at the front cover and blurb would have you believe.
Michele
Feb 15, 2019 rated it liked it
The story of what happens when you run away from someone then find new people waiting for you. This YA book about Mimi staying in her artist father’s cottage in Canada is an okay mystery.
Kendra
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pretty quick read. Wasn’t sure of the setting at first, but I enjoyed reading from the different perspectives. I was looking for an easy read and this kept me wanting to read more. Two thumbs up!
Laurel Kathleen
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Multi family drama that's so twisted it could be a tamer Game of Thrones-style soap opera. Compelling characters, hidden identities, a lot of hints of weird incest-y feelings due to said hidden identities.
Jack Mahan
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nick Schroeder
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
How To
Oct 24, 2010 rated it liked it
The plot of the Uninvited has an enticing premise, which ultimately fell short of carrying out the realness almost accomplished with the characters. The novel starts with Mimi Shapiro, a beautiful girl attending NYU who decides to leave to Canada after a relationship with a professor became a little too intimate.
She moves away to a snye close to Toronto (which I had no knowledge of, until Google images courteously relieved me of confusion) where her twice divorced, and present father once painte

• Alligator Bayou
  • Nothing but Ghosts
  • The Morgue and Me
  • Surface Tension: A Novel in Four Summers
  • Jumped
  • Last Chance (Robyn Hunter, #1)
  • The Droughtlanders (Triskelia, #1)
  • Haunted
  • The Ghosts of Kerfol
  • Boy Kills Man
  • Funny How Things Change
  • The Devil's Paintbox
Tim Wynne-Jones (born 12 August 1948) is an English–Canadian author of children's literature, including picture books and novels for children and young adults, novels for adults, radio dramas, songs for the CBC/Jim Henson production Fraggle Rock, as well as a children's musical and an opera libretto.

Awards: