Start by marking “Liars and Thieves” as Want to Read:
Liars and Thieves

Liars and Thieves

Behind the Veil, the hordes gather, eager to savage the world. But Kalann il Drakk, First of Chaos, is untroubled by the shimmering wall that holds his beasts at bay. For if he cannot cleanse the land of life, the races will do it for him. All he needs is a spark to light the fire.

Three unlikely allies stand in his way.

A misfit elf plagued by failure—
When Elanalue Windtho
Kindle Edition, 1, 279 pages
Published August 29th 2020 by D. Wallace Peach

To ask other readers questions about Liars and Thieves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Liars and Thieves

Start your review of Liars and Thieves
Cathleen Townsend
Sep 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Goblins, elves, and changelings—they’d lived together for ages in an uneasy peace, in a world where only a Veil separated them from their gods. They’d successfully shared their world, but it was unclear if they could continue to share its resources.

All of them desired crystals. The goblins mined them, elves needed them to power their weapons and homes, and changelings used to them to shift shape. Goblins trusted no one—they carefully rationed the crystals available to their rivals. Elves knew be
Jessica Bakkers
Sep 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you've read D. Wallace Peach's Rose Shield series, you know she's a master of fantasy world-building and creating multi-layered, memorable characters. Peach does this to the nth degree in Liars and Thieves, so much so, that I know this is a book I'm going to want to read a few times to fully grasp its complexities and richness.

Liars and Thieves sees a world of three races commingle with mistrust and simmering unease, as they go about their day to day lives. Elves live a high-life of wealth an
Balroop Singh
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
D. Wallace Peach builds an awesome aura in her exquisite style, before transporting you into a fantasyland inhabited by elves, goblins and changelings. Oscillating between darkness and light, ‘Liars and Thieves’ explores all the possibilities of a truce between the old foes, pretending to be friends. Goblins consider themselves to be superior, as they have extraordinary minds with excellent engineering skills. They mine crystals, which are needed to power the lanterns, heat water, run their home ...more
Jacqui
Nov 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
D. Wallace Peach's latest fantasy novel, Liars and Thieves (2020), Book 1 in her new fantasy series, Unraveling the Veil, is one of those stories you wish you could read again for the first time. The concept is simple--bad guys cause havoc and good guys must stop them. What makes it a story you won't forget is how Peach reveals the characters, the plot, and the amazing world where they live:

"...they fed the Veil’s mass with heat harvested from the mountains’ core, from pristine forests and wildf
D.L. Finn
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“Liars and Thieves” is a fantasy with Elves, Goblins, and Changelings living in an uneasy truce with crystals as their energy. The theme of greed and need felt current to me, and the world was brilliantly written in beautifully described images. My favorite character is Talin, who is a spy with a heart, and Alue is a close second as an Elf who has more sense of justice and temper than most. I enjoy the interactions between them in any form. Naj, the half-Elf and half-Goblin, approaches things mo ...more
Leonard White
Sep 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'll start off by saying I found this an enjoyable read rather than a gripping read or a thrilling read. The storyline is character-driven following the exploits of our three heroes, Naj, half-goblin, half-elf, Alue, elf and Talin, changeling. The goblins inhabit the mountains, the elves the river plains, and the changelings the jungle. The alliance is starting to disintegrate between these three races as they grow increasingly suspicious of each others motives. This is the first book in a serie ...more
Harmony Kent
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic fantasy read.

I haven't read this author before and came across this book during its launch tour on varioius blogs on the web. I am so pleased I picked it up and bumped it up my to-read list. I only put it down because life forced me to, lols.

As I read, a few lines stood out for me. I share three here:

1. A clocktower rang the hours, and when night crept into the alleys, he follwed on its heels.

2. Though goblins were permitted anywhere in the Borderland, their right to breathe didn't e
SA Krishnan
Dec 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wonderful world building

Three races - the goblins, the elves and the changelings have lived in mistrust and in an uneasy peace for years now. But an earthquake forces three characters - each of a race, to look beyond their differences to find an answer to the earthquake and seek for answers beyond the veil.

The world building is amazing and the characters and their interactions were thoroughly enjoyable. The plot was unpredictable and built beautifully well. Liked it.
Cage Dunn
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Three characters on a path to discover what is changing their world, as they are changed by each other.
It's an excellent start to a trilogy, characters interesting and believable, strong and motivated.
The journey promises to be very interesting, the skills and interpersonal conflicts compelling and intriguing, and it's all about the crystals they rely on for life as they know it -- although, they each know it differently.

I really enjoyed the story, and I look forward to the next instalment.
Miriam Hurdle
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In Liars and Thieves, Diana built a believable world of three races and three characters representing each. The goblins dwelt in the mountains. They were terrakinetic, a skill in their possession in manipulating, moving, and transforming rocks and minerals into altered shapes, into alloys, into machinery. The elves lived in the river plain but invaded the changeling’s territory when cutting trees. The changelings inhabited in the jungle in human form but could shift into animals and insects, kno ...more
Jacquie
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Liars and Thieves is book 1 in the Unraveling the Veil fantasy series.

Three outcasts, thrust into an alliance by fate, by oaths, and the churning gears of calamity, must learn the truth. For they hold the future of their world in their hands.

What do a changeling, an elf, and a goblin have in common? A rather unlikely union.

Alue (elf), Talin (changeling), and Naj (goblin) find themselves thrust together in a desperate search to find who, or what, is causing the rift between their cultures and the
Sally Cronin
Sep 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have to say that fantasy is not a genre that I have read in recent years, but based on reading the excerpts and the reviews shared during the author’s book launch, I was intrigued to read the book in its entirety. I was certainly not disappointed, as the world building was exceptional, and the characters, from the three main protagonists to the minor players within the three cultural factions, were excellently portrayed.

Whilst this land that Elves, Goblins and Changelings inhabit is imagined,
Alex Craigie
Dec 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Someone posted an extract of this book on the Internet and it was the beauty of the language that attracted me to it first. Fantasy isn’t a genre I’ve had anything to do with since the struggle of trying to read The Lord of the Rings as a very young child. However, on the strength of those words, I bought the Kindle version.
It’s a fabulous book in both senses. The mythical world is beautifully crafted, the characters are three-dimensional and the plot is gripping.
The three protagonists, each imm
Teri
Nov 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Reading other books by this author, I know to expect masterful world-building, vivid imagery, and complex characters. This novel is no exception.

In this land of elves, changelings, and goblins, the already uneasy peace is threatened after a series of earthquakes. Friends go missing and each group places blame on the others. Everyone has their own agenda and political squabbling runs rampant.

Character development is strong, and Alue, Talin, and Naj each possess strengths, weaknesses, talents and
Mae Clair
Nov 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In any D. Wallace Peach novel, you can count on a diverse cast of characters and an exceptionally detailed fantasy world. With Liars and Thieves, Peach delivers both, mesmerizing the reader from the first chapter. Goblins, elves, and changelings maintain tenuous relationships, one step away from erupting into war. At the center are Savan crystals, mined by the goblins, but necessary for the survival of all three races.

The trio of main characters—a temperamental elfin solider, a sly and cunning
Teagan Geneviene
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Liars and Thieves Review
By D. Wallace Peach
Early in my fascination with the fantasy genre I was enamored of Roger Zelazny’s work, particularly his Chronicles of Amber. (Which has nothing to do with Peach’s new series, but indulge my tangent.) It was his world of “chaos” that grabbed me. So, when I saw the blurb for “Liars and Thieves” the mention of “hordes of Chaos” and particularly the designation “the First of Chaos” I was on the hook. Combine that with how much I admire this author’s work –
John Maberry
Nov 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Goblins, elves, changelings and more. Occasional humans too--rarely. It's the interactions of the first three that holds the conflict and a storyline of finger-pointing over who is trespassing on whose territory--violating a treaty intended to keep competing interests from breaking out in war. They depend on one another--to an extent, so that's preferable.

It's my first reading of this compelling sub-genre and found it very entertaining. Just took a little while to figure out who was really who,
Crastinator
Sep 04, 2020 rated it liked it
It's a story with great potential, well-written, but there's something missing. I can't tell what they're fighting. There's intrigue, a bit of suspense, and conflict, but no overall understanding of what they fight for or against. Status quo isn't enough.
And there's no ending. There's a point where the book stops, but it doesn't resolve anything raised in the early part of the story.
I understand it's the first book of a trilogy, but each book should also have at least enough to understand the wh
Audrey Driscoll
Sep 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers who enjoy gritty, realistic fantasy.
Eighty percent of the way through this book, someone says: "Even heroes are fallible… And villains may, now and then, prove valorous."
That pretty much sums up the three main characters, who often seem more villains than heroes. I must admit, I didn't find them particularly sympathetic, except for one whom I will not name to avoid prejudicing future readers. They struck me as individuals who have a lot to learn.

The setting is a kind of frontier region where the territories of the world's three hu
H.R.R. Gorman
Dec 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Liars and Thieves was, as a whole, an enjoyable book. The world was complex and entertained a full suite of political situations, alliances, and treaties. The three major races - elves, goblins, and changelings - all work around a treaty that keeps them at peace... for the moment. Each race had political jurisdiction in a different environment, as well; it's so often you get fantasy or sci-fi worlds that are homogenous and either feel like "everything is England" or "everything is Norway" or "ev ...more
N.A. Granger
Nov 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
D. Wallace Peach is, as far as I’m concerned, the master of world creation. In Liars and Thieves, she blends goblins, elves, and changlings against a vivid backdrop that transports you with its gorgeous descriptions.
In the world of Liars and Thieves, there is the Veil, a shimmering wall behind which a malevolent presence, Kalann Il Draak, dwells. He cannot penetrate the wall but unravels its material for seeds of chaos to slip through. And chaos is beginning to spread, beginning with the inexpl
Pete Springer
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantasy is not a genre I typically read, but I decided to give Liars and Thieves a try after enjoying D. Wallace Peach's blog over the last year. It was time well-invested as this was an engaging story right from the get-go. The good news is this is only Book 1 from the Unraveling the Veil Trilogy.

Peach captivates her readers by creating a world of elves, goblins, and changelings who desire Savan crystals. The people aren't above bending the rules to acquire these treasures. The story centers pr
Marcia
Oct 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
D. Wallace Peach is rapidly becoming one of my favorite fantasy authors. I've read several of her books and loved each one, but Liars & Thieves is in a class by itself. First, Wallace's writing is superb. That's all there is to it. Her phrasing and pacing are first rate and make reading this entertaining story even better.

Secondly, her characters are engaging and unique, something that is always important to me. If I'm not invested in a book's characters, I seldom finish the book. Our three main
Geoff Le
Jan 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
Gripping and intriguing

I’ll be the first to admit I don’t often stray into the purest fantasy worlds. The names for starters leave me confused and struggling to remember who’s who; I forget who’s got what power or what that power does, the geography makes me crave a map and the social structures can take a bit of getting used to. I say all of this because I confronted each of these problems as I began to read and, naturally they distract from the flow of the plot, the sense of who’s who and why.
Pamela
Oct 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
D. Wallace Peach creates new worlds like no other author I've read. As a (normally) non-fantasy reader, I dive into her books with my seatbelt on. To read a Peach book, a reader needs to be ready to leave her own world and swim into a new ocean (to continue the metaphor) and explore a host of creatures who, although unlike beings on our Earth, still have similar characteristics of greed, envy, need for survival, and dare I say, love. In Liars and Thieves, book 1 of the Unraveling the Veil series ...more
Jill
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’ll admit, fantasy isn’t typically my go to genre, but anything written by the talented D. Wallace Peach can’t be passed up. As a longtime reader of her blog on WordPress, I’m a huge fan of her storytelling talent. Liars and Thieves is the first book of her new Unraveling the Veil series. It was everything I imaged. With fantastic world-building, memorable characters and great action throughout, Liars and Thieves proved to be a compelling and enjoyable read.
K. L. Laettner
Oct 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Vivid imagery and fantastic story

D. Wallace Peach has spun a fabulous tale rich in imagery and characters as unique as their talents. I hate spoilers, so I will just say that this tale had me mesmerized, running the gamut between horror at times, and excitement of the thrilling escapes woven throughout. The characters were intriguing and it was often a love hate thing, but I did cheer them on. Can’t wait to read the next installment.
Elizabeth Merry
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book very much. The three main characters are so engaging, each in his/her own way. The narrative is engrossing. I couldn't stop reading and was sorry to come to the end of the story - well the end of the first part, since I am very happy to say Liars and Thieves is the first of a trilogy involving these same characters. The shape of the story was perfect and the pace was consistent. I heartily recommend this book and am looking forward to reading the second in the series. ...more
Cassandra
Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
It's a great story if you ignore the lack of reasons for each of the main characters to do what they do. And there is no ending to this part, it's just the first of three. I'm sure the answer (not sure of the question yet) will be found in book 3. ...more
EnchantedCat
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Maybe I haven't read as much fantasy books as a lot of people -- but I loved how original this book is. It swept me away. I can't wait for the next book in the set. ...more

• Eternal Road: The final stop
  • In Search of McDoogal
  • Guns of Perdition (The Armageddon Showdown Book 1)
  • Against All Odds (the Crossroads Trilogy Book 3)
  • The Stones (Astral Conspiracy, #2)
  • Plunge – One Woman’s Pursuit of a Life Less Ordinary
  • Sam, A Shaggy Dog Story
  • The Culmination: a new beginning
  • I Wouldn't Be Surprised
  • Subject A36 (The Colony, #1)
  • The Emissary: A Riverbend Spinoff Novella
  • The Nine (Astral Conspiracy, #3)
  • The Last Pilgrim
  • While the Bombs Fell
  • Gwen Slade, Bounty Hunter
  • Murder They Wrote
  • Magical Whispers
  • The Lab (Astral Conspiracy Book 5)
I didn’t care for reading as a child – I preferred Bonanza and Beverly Hillbillies reruns, Saturday morning cartoons and the Ed Sullivan show. Then one day, I opened a book titled The Hobbit.

Tolkien … literally changed my life.
I love to write. It’s a luxury I never expected I’d have time for – life got in the way. You know how that goes – kids, work, chores… sleep. I worked for 18 years in busines