Start by marking “The House of Always (A Chorus of Dragons, #4)” as Want to Read:
The House of Always (A Chorus of Dragons, #4)

The House of Always

(A Chorus of Dragons #4)

For fans of Brandon Sanderson and Patrick Rothfuss, The House of Always is the fourth epic fantasy in Jenn Lyons' Chorus of Dragons series that began with The Ruin of Kings.

What if you were imprisoned for all eternity?

In the aftermath of the Ritual of Night, everything has changed.

The Eight Immortals have catastrophically failed to stop Kihrin's enemies, who are moving fo
Published May 11th 2021 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The House of Always, please sign up.
Anna Shier Hi! The House of Always is the fourth book in this series, although I'm assuming from the question you have not yet read the first three? (Highly reco…moreHi! The House of Always is the fourth book in this series, although I'm assuming from the question you have not yet read the first three? (Highly recommend). The rep you'll find in the series as a whole (and presumably this book as well) includes polyamory, same-sex relationships, bisexuality, transgender characters, asexual characters (I think) and gender identities that don't match physical sex (especially in the second book).

From what I can tell, the rep is quite good, but that's from the perspective of an asexual, heteromantic woman, so I would take my opinions with a grain of salt. Readers who are actually bi/trans/poly/etc. may have a different take.(less)
Heidi I think I read there would be five books but I can’t find where I read it and I might be wrong!

Start your review of The House of Always (A Chorus of Dragons, #4)
Taylor
Jul 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The House of Always is definitely another awesome addition to Jenn Lyons' already truly amazing A Chorus of Dragons series! That being said, after having finished reading The House of Always, I definitely have extremely bittersweet feelings about the fact that the next book in the A Chorus of Dragons series will also be the last book in the series. On the one-hand, I've come to love each book in the series in its own way, so I'm extremely excited for the last book be released, so I can find out ...more
Bethany (Beautifully Bookish Bethany)
So many people seemed to love this installment, but my experience was more mixed. In a series that is always experimental in the way it plays with structure, plot, etc., The House of Always takes that experimentation in a different direction. Nearly the entire novel takes place as a series of flashbacks while the characters remain in one place. Which is an interesting idea, and I get what the book is doing. But much like book 3, I struggled with the lack of structure (and in this case, non-linea ...more
Angela
Aug 26, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Non-Spoiler Series Review: https://youtu.be/RylL5ESRb54

In a series where I give every book 5 stars, this is probably my least favorite. The only reason I say that is because I was not prepared for the main focus of the story to be in getting me to know the larger supporting cast of characters. I think on re-read that complain won't even bother me since I will be prepared to focus less on my favorite trio. I do like how claustrophobic this one felt because of its premise and setting and loved s
Ash | Wild Heart Reads
The Eight Immortals are dead and Val Karoth is closer to being freed than ever. No matter what Kihrin, Janel and Teraeth do Relos Var is seemingly one step ahead of them. Kihrin makes a desperate sacrifice but his gamble may have devastating consequences. As the lines between good and evil blur and loyalties are tested Kihrin and his allies must face just how much they are willing to sacrifice if it means saving the world.

He still looked at me like I was every sunrise the world had ever
Ashley
This series remains one of the most confounding I've ever read. It makes me feel unstable thinking about it and reading it. I don't quite know how to explain it to you. I start these books, every time (except maybe the first book, since I had nothing yet to forget) soooo frustrated that I get angry, and I almost quit because everything is so needlessly elaborate in terms of structure, plot, and characters, it's basically impossible to feel prepared before reading them (without binging them back ...more
Lauren Lanz
3.5 stars! ⭐️

In the face of such a consistently incredible series (featuring rampaging dragons, secretly soul-swapped royals and eight gods looking to end said royals’ power trips), I had crazy high expectations for The House of Always. Although this installment featured the least enticing plot, my beloved harp playing (kind-of-a-demon-god) Kihrin never fails to claim my heart with his witty dialogue and overall gut-wrenching journey.

"Love is a mortar too weak to hold when the foundations of
Soo
Aug 04, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Notes:

**Note to Self: Don't spend more money on the series. See if books are in library or don't bother.

Great narration, but the story is going off the rails. The series started well in the first book, but I'm not enjoying the following books.

If you're going to tell a story from the PRESENT and fall back into the past in odd chunks, it's a good idea to make the plot somewhat feasible.
Laura (thebookcorps)
Thank you very much to Tor for providing a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

The fourth instalment in The Chorus of Dragons series is perhaps my most anticipated novel of 2021 and it did not disappoint in the slightest. From past memories being unveiled to romantic intentions finally being declared, this book kept me on the edge of my seat from start to finish.

Weeks after the failed Ritual of Night where the eight gods were slaughtered and Vol Karoth is closer than ever from e
Ava
UPDATE 12/9: The cover is up on Edelweiss and AKGJGAFEBJHDNKDFDMJVOsnhJB IT IS SOOOOOOOO GOOD!!!!!

Jenn, oh Jenn, what have you done to us, to me, to KIHRIN?
Needless to say, this book is an absolute must-have. A need-to-read. A grabby-hands situation, through and through. The ending of MOS was such a jaw-dropper that I'm still trying to pick myself up off the floor. So, please, file this under MOST ANTICIPATED.
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Mar 20, 2022 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 500-pages, fantasy
4.0 Stars
This is another solid sequel in the Chorus of Dragons series. There was some fantastic plot and character development in this fourth book and I am now dying to see how this series is going to conclude in the final volume.

This is a highly entertaining epic fantasy series filled with humour and progressive romantic relationships. Admittedly, I am normally drawn towards darker, grittier stories but the author has such amazing talent for storytelling that I have become immersed in this ser
Megan ❀
This is probably my most anticipated release of 2021. And I have very mixed feelings on it. RTC.

Pre-release review:

How I feel after finishing The Memory of Souls:

I need this book IMMEDIATELY.
takeeveryshot
Jun 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
once again 10/10 this time it's because of the power of friendship when all your friends are the worst people alive ...more
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
Forever grateful that I started those books so late and don't have to wait too much for the last one 😅 ...more
Mari
Jul 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
At first I was like “I love every trope as long as it’s queer” as a joke. But bro… I don’t think it’s a joke anymore.

Like, this book did the thing where the power of love saves the world which has ruined movies, books and shows for me before. Like Wonder Woman or even Queen of Air and Darkness.

So explain to me why I was literally SOBBING while also SMILING LIKE A DORK when they pulled it here or in She-Ra? My best guess is that both are queer as fuck and I will die on that hill. But I also thi
Katy
Feb 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy_2021

The House of Always is the latest instalment in the Chorus of Dragons of series. Easily one of my most anticipated books of the year and I have to say it did not disappoint!! Initially I was a little hesitant, especially since the first 10% I didn’t really have a clue what was going on (but to be honest if you have made it to book 4 in the series you are probably well equipped to be thrown in haha), but once I figured out the story structure I was completely invested and basically thre
Maja Ingrid
Feb 27, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
3,5 stars but rounding up
Alaina
Feb 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Okay, so I last read The Memory of Souls in August of last year. So when I saw that The House of Always was already available on NetGalley... well, it's safe to say that I freaked the freak out. I also dropped basically everything around me to dive into this beautiful book as well. I mean, how could I not after the first three books??

I'm honestly amazing that this entire series has been addicting for me. It's a pretty rare
Ivana
Apr 26, 2022 rated it it was amazing
I love this series with each book more🌼
Kate (BloggingwithDragons)
The House of Always picks up right where its predecessor, The Memory of Souls left off. Unfortunately, I found that the title of the novel was a bit too fitting as I found this latest entry in A Chorus of Dragons to be eternal. The House of Always displays the worst usage of the author’s nontraditional storytelling methods and perspective jumping, with characters taking turns using telepathy to show the series big bad what amounts to the true power of friendship. This display is all in the hopes ...more
Lois Young
Jul 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
An amazing follow up to the end of this series! An amazing plot, with a brilliant twist! I CAN'T WAIT TO READ "THE DISCORD OF THE GODS"!!!

Here's the link to my complete review: https://mistyaquavenatus.com/2021/08/...
Icarus
Honestly, where do I start with this.
This review is coming after my second time reading the book and I can’t really remember why I forgot about writing it the first time around. It might well be that I was very much confused about what had happened and was trying to sort my thoughts before writing a review, which I now know is futile. Any time you think you know the world this series is set in, Jenn Lyons pulls off another layer of cloth hiding a much deeper universe.
I don’t think I need to sa
Nay Denise
Mar 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021-favorites
Just know I have read this three times: once via e-ARC and twice via hardcover.

-------------------------

Received an eARC and hardcover copy for review.

I am 1000% bias when it comes Jenn Lyons and the A Chorus of Dragons series...No seriously! The books can do no wrong for me and that includes this glorious fourth installment. I am still blown away by Jenn's ability to write such interesting and complex stories that keep me captivated and baffled. All of the characters are loved by me -- even the
Abbeysbooktopia
Jul 22, 2021 rated it liked it
3.5⭐️

So when I started it I realised I couldn’t really remember what happened in the first three so I made the decision to reread them 😅. So apologies for taking so long!!
🍂My review!! (Spoiler free!).
This series really is up and down for me!!!.
The first one I really enjoyed even with the overwhelming complexity of the story and somewhat confusing narration style.
However the second one went kind of downhill for me, the third one brought it back and got me really invested…but then unfortunately t
Ci
May 26, 2021 rated it it was ok
Broadly grand, at times repetitive and frustrating. I enjoyed the descriptions of food, and some of the relationships that formed and developed over the story. The ending felt unearned, which makes no sense considering it took 500 pages to get there.

(view spoiler)
Marlene
Jul 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally published at Reading Reality

“All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again.” Or so says Ecclesiastes, Peter Pan, and at least a couple of the Cylons in Battlestar Galactica. But as at least one of the characters responds in BSG, “But the question remains: does all of this have to happen again?”

And I’m beginning to believe that THAT is the central question of this entire projected-to-be-five-books epic. Whether just because the history has repeated means that it ha
Manja
Despite some minor annoyances with this one, I enjoyed it thoroughly.
I'm having trouble forming any coherent thoughts about this book-- I feel like a reread will be in order once I finish the entire series...
I'm super excited but also scared for the last book! I don't want to leave this world yet, nor its characters (they have my heart), but I hope the ending will kick ass.
Birte
Apr 29, 2022 rated it really liked it
4.5/5

While this one didn't quite measure up to my love of the previous book, I still loved it. And that was mostly because there was a lot of jumping back and forth and it confused me somewhat because I listened to this book.
I loved the characters, we see some we haven't heard from for a while and others take a backseat, but the main squad is still doing their best and I just really loved it.
Donna Bull
Jul 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"You will wait.
Until there is no more waiting possible. And then you will choose whether we live or die.
But know this-even though I have lived a life as full of thin, small regrets as a cherry tree full of petals in the spring, this will be my largest: that I could not be there with you, right then, to share the space between never and always while waiting for the sun to rise."

Each and every book in this series has just captivated me. How is it that Jenn just keeps subverting expectations for ho
Verónica Fleitas Solich
This series continues to be a dizzying odyssey.
At this point, it only remains for me to add that I am totally and absolutely devoted to the characters and that I love Jenn Lyons writing.
Ultimately, that story feels like a lifetime commitment.
I look forward to the fifth book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Thousand Eyes  (The Serpent Gates, #2)
  • Locklands (The Founders Trilogy, #3)
  • Legacy of Light (The Legacy Trilogy, #3)
  • The Bone Shard Emperor (The Drowning Empire, #2)
  • Nona the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #3)
  • The Liar’s Knot (Rook & Rose, #2)
  • A Desert Torn Asunder (The Song of the Shattered Sands, #6)
  • The Justice of Kings (Empire of the Wolf, #1)
  • The Hunger of the Gods (The Bloodsworn Saga, #2)
  • Speaking Bones (The Dandelion Dynasty, #4)
  • The Grief of Stones  (The Cemeteries of Amalo, #2)
  • Blood of the Chosen (Burningblade & Silvereye, #2)
  • Fury of a Demon (Dragons of Terra, #3)
  • In the Shadow of Lightning (Glass Immortals, #1)
  • Legacy of Steel (The Legacy Trilogy, #2)
  • The Veiled Throne (The Dandelion Dynasty, #3)
  • A Strange and Stubborn Endurance (The Tithenai Chronicles #1)
  • Nettle & Bone
See top shelves…
Jenn Lyons lives in Atlanta, Georgia, with her husband, three cats, and a lot of opinions on anything from the Sumerian creation myths to the correct way to make a martini. At various points in her life, she has wanted to be an archaeologist, anthropologist, architect, diamond cutter, fashion illustrator, graphic designer, or Batman. Turning from such obvious trades, she is now a video game produc ...more

A Chorus of Dragons (5 books)
  • The Ruin of Kings (A Chorus of Dragons, #1)
  • The Name of All Things (A Chorus of Dragons, #2)
  • The Memory of Souls (A Chorus of Dragons, #3)
  • The Discord of Gods (A Chorus of Dragons, #5)

News & Interviews

As the final days of the year tick themselves off the calendar, the 2022 Goodreads Reading Challenge is coming to a close. Sincere...
“He still looked at me like I was every sunrise the world had ever seen.” 3 likes
“But know this - even though I have lived a life as full of thin, small regrets as a cherry blossom is full of petals in the spring, this will be my largest: that I could not be with you, right then, to share the space between never and always while waiting for the sun to rise.” 2 likes