Start by marking “The Exiled Fleet (The Divide, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Exiled Fleet (The Divide, #2)

The Exiled Fleet

(The Divide #2)

J. S. Dewes continues her fast paced, science fiction action adventure with The Exiled Fleet, where The Expanse meets The Black Company--the survivors of The Last Watch refuse to die.

The Sentinels narrowly escaped the collapsing edge of the Divide.

They have mustered a few other surviving Sentinels, but with no engines they have no way to leave the edge of the universe befo
Published August 17th 2021 by Tor Books

Start your review of The Exiled Fleet (The Divide, #2)
La Crosse County Library
The Exiled Fleet (2021) picks up right where we left off at the end of The Last Watch and does not let off the gas!

Our crew of Sentinels, led by Excubitor Adequin Rake, are making desperate preparations to return to the galaxy that abandoned them before they all starve. Having stabilized the situation at the Divide, the immediate threat, they're now low on supplies, and there is potential mutiny brewing. 4,000 mouths to feed and their farms and MREs aren't cutting it.

On top of these pressures,
Tammy
Aug 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The nitty-gritty: More action, more danger, more twists and higher stakes, The Exiled Fleet is an enormously fun sequel. Space opera fans will not want to miss this series!

I love when publishers choose to release a sequel only months after the publication of the first book, and now Tor has done that with J.S. Dewes’ debut series The Divide. I just reviewed The Last Watch a mere four months ago, and here we are again, back with Rake and Cavalon and Jack and the rest of the crew. And you should no
Shaun Hutchinson
Aug 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding!
charlotte,
On my blog.

Actual rating 2.5

Rep: mc with painkiller addiction & depression, sapphic side characters

Galley provided by publisher

After having read The Last Watch earlier in the year, I thought I would be able to read The Exiled Fleet, knowing just what to expect in terms of enjoyment. I shrugged aside any issues I had with the first (of which… there were a few), and I settled in just to have some fun.

Only. I didn’t.

In the interests of this being spoiler-free, I won’t mention anything of the pl
M.J. Kuhn
Mar 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ALRIGHT WHERE DO I EVEN START?!

I literally bought a kindle for the express purpose of reading the ARC I got of this book, and it was 100% worth it haha. After reading the first book in the series, THE LAST WATCH, I had high hopes for THE EXILED FLEET, and let me tell you, it did NOT disappoint. If anything, I liked this installment of the series even better than I had liked the first - which is saying something, if you check the records, I also 5*'d the heck out of the first one!

The stakes are s
julia ☆ [owls reads]
Apr 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, arc
#1 The Last Watch: ★★★★★ | 5 stars

4 stars!

Told you I wouldn't let go.

The Exiled Fleet left me so tense? There was so much at stake and so many things going on at the same time that it was difficult for me to not worry about everyone and everything lol Dewe's writing continued to be excellent, though there was a bit of a tone shift to something more somber and desperate than in the first novel. But I guess that was to be expected?

I really loved how much the world-building continu
Clare
Aug 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This brilliant author keeps making me cry, and keeping me up into the small hours thinking about her characters and all the things that happen to them.

If I'd thought the first book was intense, the second had me gaping and stopping reading for a moment just to absorb the new developments. And the signs were there, I just hadn't spotted Dewes' carefully placed clues!

But for all the lows, there were also incredible highs, and I was laughing along with Cavalon, Adequin and the rest of the crew as
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Aug 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2021/08/30/...

Another fantastic installment in The Divide series! In this second book The Exiled Fleet, we join Rake and the rest of her crew following the exhilarating (and heartbreaking) events at the end of The Last Watch. I will begin by reiterating what I said for my review of the first novel: this series would be great for fans of The Expanse, and perfect for tiding you over if you’re like me and waiting impatiently for Leviathan
S.M.
Aug 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The Exiled Fleet, the sophomore effort of author J.S. Dewes, is not a simple action-packed, mind-bending sci-fi space opera. Yes, it has all of that, but these descriptions leave out the most critical element of Dewes's Divide series: the human connection. I know, I know, it sounds cliché, and I make it a point to avoid platitudes about character-centric stories that dissect the human experience...but I'm making something of an exception here.

Since that discussion will involve some mild spoilers
Steve Koppel
Aug 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, scifi
While it captivated me as quickly as Last Watch did, it did take me more than a few pages to reacquainted with the crew. The book begins in medias res, and approx. 6 months after TLW. Names and ranks tossed about jarred me momentarily – readers who skipped LTW will be lost (WHY WOULD YOU SKIP LTW?!), but I got comfortable quickly. If I have one brief complaint, it’s that I wish we had a Divide wiki or appendix that explained rank and some of the history. A galaxy map would be a dream. I had the ...more
Geonn Cannon
Aug 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Dear God, everybody stop chewing on your damn lip. I know food rations are scarce but you're going to eat the bottom half of your face at this rate. I actually did a search and counted over twenty instances of someone chewing their lip or the inside of their cheek. I didn't dock a star for it, because I know how easy it can be to drop these tics into a book as space fillers/giving the character action so they're not just standing there reciting dialogue, but it DOUBLED from the last book (becaus ...more
Avdotja
Oct 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
I love misfits, reluctant heroes, strong characters (gender doesn't matter).
The story is simple but gripping. What makes it work are the insecurities of characters, their self-doubt, their determination to not quit.
Cavalon is a wise-ass who is only now figuring out that who you are is so much more than who you were born as.
Rake is, at heart, a lost child. Always giving everything just so she can prove to herself that she belongs.
Viators are an interesting species and we are only now beginning t
Rachana Hegde
Yeah. This book made me cry. But the two weeks I spent listening to this audiobook and the Last Watch were pretty incredible.

The narrators were amazing - the way they captured each character's personality in the tone and cadence of their voice. I expected nothing less after the first book blew my mind but hearing Cavalon’s familiar grumbling felt like coming home. There’s such a good balance in POV and the switches always felt so natural too. Nailing that balance and the pacing while still havi
Susanna
Aug 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Exiled Fleet is the second book in The Divide sci-fi series by J. S. Dewes. It starts six months after The Last Watch ended for Cavalon, and five weeks after it for Adequin Rake, thanks to time distortions created by faster than light travel and the void at the edge of the universe where the Sentinels have been posted.

At the end of the first book, the crew of discarded soldiers stopped the shrinking of the universe by activating the devices created by the alien race that humans have tried to
Brent
Oct 05, 2021 rated it liked it
I feel pretty let down by this follow-up to a book I really liked. When it comes to sequels in series I always want them to keep the bones of what I enjoyed about book 1, but expand the story, the world, the scope, the complexity. I'm not really sure how much this book really even tries to do any of that let alone succeeds.

It's true that all of the bones about the series that I loved in book 1 are here. Rake, Cavalon, the crew side characters, the tech, the scrappy can-do-underdog story. However
Nina
Oct 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I'm still loving this series, and I think the main reason is that the characters are SO well developed and feel fully human, and their relationships with each other grow realistically. I especially love the relationship between Rake and Cavalon, and I love it BECAUSE you can really feel the chemistry between them, but it's not at all romantic. (view spoiler) They just grow together and support each other and trus ...more
Chip
Sep 22, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
If I were (much) younger and/or less demanding of what I read, I would have thought more of this book. However, the vast number of ridiculous coincidences for the sake of the author’s desired plot have become absurd, as is the ease with which the various heroic protagonists readily solve and utilize vastly powerful alien technologies. Just too much (waves hands) plot magic.
Helen
Sep 23, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favourite part is still the exchanges between Cav and Rake.
T.A. Chan
Aug 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I NEED MORE BOOKS IN THIS SERIES!!!

Crisp writing, characters that leap off the page, a healthy dose of dry humor, nonstop action, and the PLOT TWISTS--this book has it all. Usually, I'm nervous about sequels, especially when the first book has set the bar so high...but Dewes has managed to raise the stakes even more. THE EXILED FLEET had me staying up late to finish reading it. The book picks up pretty much right off when the first book ended, establishing what'd happened and the dire consequenc
Debbie
Aug 24, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: scfi, fiction
Laura (crofteereader)
Aug 31, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This series has such a cool concept (though this one has much less action than the first one) but it's so melodramatic. Instead of breaking the book into acts you can just divide it up by hinging whenever either a) one of the main cast pulls some self-sacrificing martyr nonsense or b) a villain character goes on a long-winded tirade.

The fact that "I'm gonna sacrifice myself for the common good" "no I'm gonna sacrifice MYSELF for the common good but mostly to keep you from having to do it" happen
Dawn
Oct 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
I very much enjoyed The Exiled Fleet, the second offering in J.S. Dewes' very entertaining Divide series.

The world expanded as the reader learned more about the Viators, the origins of the Viator War, the ruling houses, and planetary (Core) politics . . . all this while Adequin Rake works tirelessly to save the Sentinels, the ragtag group of the , exiled, court-marshalled, and sometimes criminal sent to the very edge of the universe where they are forgotten and abandoned by the very Fleet they s
Aug 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I received a digital advanced reading copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I cannot say enough how excited I was to read The Exiled Fleet and then how much I loved it. I really enjoyed the first novel in this series, The Last Watch, so I was definitely excited to read this and immediately put in my eARC request. Honestly, The Exiled Fleet is probably my favorite of the two.

The Last Watch centered on trying to escape and prevent the collapse of the edge of the univers
Caitlin G
Aug 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
It’s one thing to declare a rebellion, and quite another thing to lead one. That’s the hard truth Adequin Rake has come to realize as she struggles to pull together the remnants of the Sentinel fleet that was abandoned at the edge of space by the System Collective. Before her fledgling mutiny can make a difference, however, they have to get back home to the Core. With dwindling food supplies and not enough power to jump the entire fleet home, Rake, Cavalon, and a hand-picked crew are going to ha ...more
Mendhak
Oct 08, 2021 rated it liked it
The author does a good job of building an interesting universe, but the story is brought down by a set of characters who can only interact with each other using a limited, repetitive set of facial animations, and for some reason it's mostly centered around the jaw.

---

"Void, Rake, not again!" Cavalon ground his teeth.

Mesa quirked an eyebrow.

Rake clenches her jaw, "This is the only way."

Jackin quirks an eyebrow "Only to do what?"

Cavalon, jaws flexing, "She's martyring herself for the 2nd time i
Yantl Lepage
Aug 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

WAIT, WHAT?! I thought this was going to be a duology, but it’s leaving me waiting for another one. There’s not even an announcement of when it’s going to be out. I have time to perish!

I found the beginning a little slow, but then it picked up the pace and it picked it up fast. This book was great and I cried like a baby several time. It also succeeded in surprising me with several twist, which is pretty rare these days.

LOVED IT! Would definitely recommend to anyone who likes sci-fi, and
Steven Mastroyin
Sep 16, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed this series well enough. There are a lot of familiar story and plot points that you have seen before, so this isn't a series to look at for brash original concepts, etc. What is it is enjoyable sci-fi fantasy more like Star Wars. The characters carry the load here and for the most part do a great job of it. I will say that if you get 1/4 through the first book and think it is not for you...that's not going to change.

Nikki
Sep 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I fricking LOVE this series. The science is smart, and the characters are charming yet quirky. There are great character dynamics plus all the banter. And the twist in this one was a bit 🤯 but also felt like DUH! Gah it was soooo good. This is book two so I don't want to give too much away but if you love science fiction, space opera, and The Expanse or other shenanigan filled squads...READ THIS SERIES. So excited to see what happens next!

Also really enjoyed the audiobook!
Graff Fuller
Sep 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is a NEED right now...the THIRD book. NOW!

#SpaceOperaSeptember #SOS2021 @SFF180

The world building within this book was amazing...but while doing that, she was able to make us love the characters more AND send us on an incredible adventure.

Also, the stakes were high, then higher, then higher. I saw a nod to BSG (with the jumps from attacking forces).

I also love the friendships and the baggage that comes with them. Also, family and the can of worms that can be.

There are so man ways that thi
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

I loved The Divide and was so excited to start The Exiled Fleet. Turns out, I loved it even more. This series absolutely slays. It's equal parts emotional and funny and exciting, and does such a perfect job of balancing out the action and character development. The entire concept of the world is exciting, because it asks the questions we all wonder, like "is there an end to the universe?
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Artifact Space
  • Catalyst Gate (The Protectorate, #3)
  • Light Chaser
  • The Scavenger Door (Finder Chronicles #3)
  • Seven Surrenders (Terra Ignota, #2)
  • The Will to Battle (Terra Ignota, #3)
  • The Lost Apothecary
  • The Chosen and the Beautiful
  • Shards of Earth (The Final Architecture, #1)
  • Gone for Good (Detective Annalisa Vega, #1)
  • The Stars Askew (Caeli-Amur, #2)
  • Hold Fast Through the Fire (NeoG #2)
  • The Book of Two Ways
  • The First Omega
  • This Time Next Year
  • Honey Girl
  • Orders of Battle (Frontlines #7)
  • Leaving Isn't the Hardest Thing
See top shelves…
J. S. Dewes has a Bachelor of Arts in Film from Columbia College Chicago, and has written scripts for award-winning films which have screened at San Diego Comic-Con and dozens of film festivals across the nation. Her debut novel The Last Watch is forthcoming in April 2021 from Tor Books.

She can be found on social media @jsdewes and her website www.jsdewes.com, and on Patreon.

The Divide (2 books)
  • The Last Watch (The Divide, #1)