Start by marking “Kingdom of Thorns” as Want to Read:
Kingdom of Thorns

Kingdom of Thorns

Cursed at her Christening, Briar is doomed to prick her finger on a spinning wheel on her seventeenth birthday and plunge her kingdom into eternal slumber. Less than enthused about her fate, she fights to break it, but a hundred years later the kingdom lies at the centre of a forest of thorns. The curse is complete and only true love's kiss will break it.

Volunteering in th
Published August 22nd 2020 (first published August 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Kingdom of Thorns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kingdom of Thorns

Start your review of Kingdom of Thorns
Sydney Winward
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I can’t express enough about how much I loved this book. The interactions between Talia and Leopold had me chuckling so much, sometimes even multiple times on the same page. Leo was absolutely adorable, and I admire Talia’s courage and determination. The characters had so much depth to them, and the descriptions jumped to life on the page.

For as many Sleeping Beauty retellings that are out there in the world, this one is truly unique, not quite like anything I’ve read thus far. Unique, witty, an
Catherine Bowser
Jan 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this retelling. Sleeping Beauty is one of my favorite fairy tales but there is definitely some problems with it so I love seeing how authors bring a new twist into it.

Characters are always a center point for me in any story. They’re what I focus on and thankfully, there’s a lot to be loved here. The main characters can certainly start to fall into the stereotypical formats but then the author adds a smidge of her own flavor to make them unique. It makes them both familiar and u
Elisha Bugg
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
After reading The Rose and the Thorn I knew this author was a gifted writer, but this book blew me away.
It was an incredible read, filled with witty banter and humour, as well as some darkness that brought tears to your eyes.
The world building and characters were strong as always and you understood and got a feel for each character.
She managed to stick close enough to the original tale that you knew you were reading a retelling of Sleeping Beauty, but it deviated enough to be it's own story and
Lydia Russell
Aug 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Katherine Macdonald is the Queen of witty banter! 🖤
Oh, I loved this book. A wonderful twist on the Sleeping Beauty story.
I loved the dynamic between the main characters, adored the slow burn romance and got completely lost in the world Macdonald created.
There really are no damsels in distress here.
Katherine Macdonald has an amazing talent for writing characters you can really get behind... Ones that are real and vulnerable and imperfect.
She is fast coming one of my favourite new authors.
Adrian
Feb 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!

This Sleeping Beauty based fairytale is really awesome! The hero and heroine are actually nice to each other the majority of the book and they portray a healthy developing attachment to one another that avoids rape culture. People are honest about their own flaws and the flaws of friends and family without giving in to personal despair or surrendering the relationship without trying to heal it. This book has the greatest examples of setting safe boundaries while respecting the boundaries
Madelin Pickett
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
KINGDOM OF THORNS

Volunteering in the place of his brother, Leo is determined to brave the enchanted forest and attempt to end the hundred-yea
Mar 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Finally, a Sleeping Beauty retelling that works!

Sleeping Beauty is always a really difficult fairytale to retell, because of
1) the lack of agency of the eponymous protagonist
2) the lack of development of relationship between SB and the Prince, and
3) the lack of consent of the kiss / curse breaking (true love’s kiss tends to have multiple problems attached, but in other classics like Beauty and the Beast / Snow White, there’s usually at least some implied consent due to the Prince not being a tot
A.G. Pointer
Jan 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Once again I am blown away!

This Sleeping Beauty retelling is a whirlwind of witty banter, stunning scenery and gorgeous worldbuilding.

Leo and Talia’s adventures through a magical forest as dangerous as it is enchanting had me on the edge of my seat, and occasionally bed, kitchen counter, bath tub and the odd park bench because I could not put it down!

MacDonald is a true master of wit, humour and depth of character. The content warnings should include: intense yearning – and I am not just talking
Beth
Sep 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Badass, adventurous, and romantic...

...and that’s just the female main character. I haven’t gotten to the prince yet.

Loved this retelling of Sleeping Beauty that gets rid of that icky lack of consent in older versions. This time around, the princess fights her fate and stands up for her right to choose who she marries. And the prince is truly noble (and snarky too, which is a pretty dreamy combination).

This story is exciting and lovely, with lots of wit and some tear-jerking scenes. The romance
Liz
Aug 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book has been the best fantasy retelling I have read. I thought The Rose and The Thorn (also by Katherine MacDonald) was amazing, and this one just proved to me that Ms. MacDonald just gets better and better with each book. This book had everything I could want in it, it has romance, plot twists, humor, and most importantly...the witty banter I have grown to expect from her characters. The book had me laughing and crying and it was just such a great read. Apart from that, what also stood ou ...more
Caytlyn Brooke
Dec 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
An enchanting read that will make your heart pound!

I love fairytale retellings and MacDonald does a beautiful job weaving unique twists on classic stories! I am constantly impressed with her world building and strong heroines! My only critique was the numerous pauses in dialogue made it a bit distracting to read and I wish there was more description on the dark woods and creatures to really enhance the peril circling the characters at all times!
Elizabeth Holland
Jan 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book I've read by Katherine Macdonald and it definitely won't be the last. I absolutely LOVED this story and could not put it down. The plot is incredibly well thought through and magical. There's a twist in the book that had my heart soaring. I can honestly say that I loved every page of this story and felt all the emotions that were pouring from the pages. It was well written and I must say I prefer it to the original Sleeping Beauty! ...more
Rach
Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Katherine MacDonald does it again! In this enchanting adaptation of the Sleeping Beauty tale we see witty dialogue, lovable characters, a fierce princess who is going to fight not just give in! We get to experience her journey and travel alongside her in it! And of course plenty of banter! Loved it!
Viviane
Nov 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely retelling with some great twists and turns. A lot of love and excellent banter has gone into the story and the characters are lovingly crafted and brought alive.
Desciptions are vivid and flow beautifully, drawing you in and pulling you along on a great adventure.
Can't wait to read more from the author. Go on, have some fun and give this a read.

Read on Kindle Unlimited.
Nicole Thomas
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful!

I think I have found a new favorite author! I live fairytale retelling and she has a gift for spinning the revamps in a way I would never have imagined. The creativity, character development and world building are so seamlessly woven together that getting lost in the pages is easy. I’ll definitely be reading more of her work. Well done!
Jessica Piro
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Briar-Rose (Sleeping Beauty) has always been my favorite princess and I love the actual tale, but there are some things that would make it better--strong female character, more danger, better romance than 'love at first sight, or kiss', etc.
Macdonald solved all of that, and included witty banter and characters you grow attached to.
Highly recommend!
sean
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely top notch read. Macdonald has an absolute talent for characters you end up rooting for, and I was way more invested in the side characters than I realised! Every twist caught me by surprise, and I was utterly immersed in the world. Highly recommended.
Hema Vadivelu
Whitney
Jan 09, 2021
Rebecca
Oct 24, 2020

• The Queen's Crown (Court of Midnight and Deception #3)
  • The Faceless Mage (Legends of Abreia, #1)
  • The Unseen Heir (Legends of Abreia #2)
  • Princess of Roses (Fairy Tale Adventures, #4)
  • Crown of Power (The Hidden Mage, #4)
  • Thorn of Rose: A Beauty and the Beast Romance (Fairy Tale Royals, #2)
  • Enchanting the Elven Mage (Kingdom of Lore, #1)
  • The Marked Princess (The Shendri Series, #1)
  • Loved by the Beast: A Historical Retelling of Beauty and the Beast (The Beast's Legacy #1)
  • A Sharpened Axe
  • Prince of Foxes (Bright Spear Trilogy #1)
  • Midnight for a Curse
  • The Secret Princess: A Retelling of The Goose Girl (Return to the Four Kingdoms, #1)
  • Darling, there are wolves in the woods (The Wicked Woods Chronicles Book 1)
  • Crown of Moonlight (Court of Midnight and Deception #2)
  • Goldheart (Andari Chronicles, #2)
  • Unseen Beauty
  • The Searching Songbird (The Shendri Series, #2)
Born in Redditch, England, to a solicitor and an ex-military man, one of Katherine "Kate" Macdonald's earliest memories was of watching her parents disappear behind the pages of a book and wanting to follow them. For her, books were little pocket dimensions that could be carried about, and the safest way to have a very real adventure.

Rather than rebel during her teenage years, she spent most of th