Jump to ratings and reviews

Journey to Hope

Kindle Edition

Published August 22, 2020

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

June A. Converse

2 books9 followers
June happily resides in Sandy Springs, Georgia, with her husband, Dave, and their dog, Sodapop. They have two wonderful adult children and two grandchildren. She is an enthusiastic exerciser and an accomplished cook. She and her husband enjoy hiking with Sodapop, traveling, scuba diving, trying new restaurants, concerts, and whatever other adventures they can find. Reading and a constant desire to learn keeps her busy too.

A trauma survivor who struggles with mental illness, June is continuously reaching for hope like the characters in her books. She openly discusses her personal struggles on her blog, JuneConverse.com

Decide to Hope is her first novel and relies a great deal on her own experience with trauma, choices, recovery and hope. If you’d like to discuss trauma, coping and recovery, contact her at JuneConverse.com or DecideToHope.com

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 star
Displaying 1 - 12 of 12 reviews
2 reviews
August 22, 2020
Author suffered from PTSD and got a lot of treatment. The book though fiction is an accurate description of trauma and treatment for PTSD and bi-polar mental illness. Well written with magnificent settings and precise language.
1 review
September 11, 2020
This is truly one of the most thought provoking books I have had the pleasure to read in a long time. I couldn’t turn the pages fast enough. June A. Converse successfully takes her readers on an emotional roller coaster. I was pulled so deeply into the lives of her characters Kathleen and Matt that I myself became emotionally attached to them.

Kathleen’s tragedy was beyond anything imaginable. How could anyone recover from such mental and physical torture and pain? This book introduces readers to PTSD and the struggles involved in treatment and healing. Kathleen’s struggle with anger, anxiety, fear, and survivor guilt could have easily destroyed her.

Can the unconditional love from Matt give Kathleen the courage and hope to rebuild her life after trauma? What binds two people together no matter what? I was so emotionally connected to their journey and couldn’t stop thinking about them after I finished reading the book.

I found myself questioning my own life, the love and support from my partner, and the desire to never stop fighting for hope and happiness.

I can’t wait for book #3 and continue to throw myself into the lives of June’s characters. She is an amazing writer with an incredible talent for emotionally capturing her readers. You’ll love this book!
Profile Image for C. Gonzales.
755 reviews23 followers
March 2, 2021
The characters are so real and interesting. It's great to have characters with real problems and dealing with just, well, life! The author brings you in to the story so nicely, she makes you feel what they feel along the way, which is A LOT! In the end you love them all.

While there are many deeper moments and hard issues, there is also plenty to make you smile.
Profile Image for Anne.
18 reviews2 followers
August 22, 2020
“When you lose everyone and everything you love, can you ever live again? Or love again?
An unimaginable trauma. A future that seems impossible. When your world shatters, how do you put it back together?
When Matt Nelson found Kathleen on the beach, she’d been hiding behind a scarf and sunglasses for three years. She couldn’t hide her loneliness, and he couldn’t turn away. But when her flashbacks start, they’re both unprepared for the repercussions and the depth of her emotional suffering.
Kathleen agrees to return to intensive trauma recovery at The Charlotte Center, where the sounds and the smells and the images from that terrible night await her, demanding she confront her demons.”
Searing and at times brutal, this beautiful love story is not your mother’s romance novel. In “Journey to Hope,” we continue the story we began with author June Converse’s first installment, “Decide to Hope.” However, this book stands on its own.
Katherine, always supported by Matt, makes the courageous decision to take back her life after it was tragically destroyed. The details are not for the faint of heart but are necessary to understand why Katherine is so damaged.
I cheered Matt and Katherine on as they fought to get the lives they wanted and deserved. During these times, when we all need reasons to hope, this is the book to read.
I very rarely choose this genre, but I loved every moment of “Journey to Hope.” Be forewarned, this book will keep you reading late into the night.
18 reviews1 follower
June 11, 2021
This is a fine book about a subject that needs to be discussed. The protagonist suffers from PTSD after a meth head relative kills her whole family, even her dog, right in front of her. He then mutilates her to the point of leaving her alive without the people she loves the most and feeling like she belongs in a circus.

Ms. Converse doesn't water the violence down and that's good, because that what this is about. Violence, Mental Health. Guns and Drugs.

She finds an unlikely savior in Matt, a man who sees through the ugliness of what she's been left with and helps her work through her treatment.

This is a nice read. Ms. Converse's prose is first rate, the chapters read well and make sense and there's a happy ending at the end of Kathleen's Journey.

Profile Image for Samantha Turley.
511 reviews8 followers
March 3, 2021
This was a deep read that was a tearjerker for me. I’m a sympathetic crier and I felt the emotions off of these characters throughout the book.
I loved the theme of this and how important it is for us to realize that we can overcome anything. The journey to getting there is not easy, but it is possible.
Powerful writing, a beautiful story, and I loved how we see the different characters each dealing with their own issues and in their own ways. Great character building and I loved the evolution from beginning to end for them.
September 17, 2020
The second book of the Hope trilogy is even better than the first. The author does a wonderful job of keeping you wondering what’s going to happen next in Kathleen’s struggle to progress from merely existing to having a real life again, and if Matt’s love and support for her will get them both through the ordeal. I stayed up way too late and read most of it in one day. I look forward to the final installment.
Profile Image for Gina Stamper.
494 reviews13 followers
January 20, 2021
This cover is absolutely gorgeous! It’s a great story of second chances, inspiration, and faith. I enjoyed being able to read about Kathleen and her journey through the ups and downs of life.
Wonderfully written and full of emotion. This is a book worth reading if you enjoy a solid women’s fiction novel. It is an adult oriented book that will take you through a barrage of emotions and still leave you wanting more.
Profile Image for R.K. Emery.
860 reviews26 followers
March 1, 2021
Deep and at moments dark. It will rip you apart. It's an honest and very real book that takes a look at PTSD and overcoming.
I just did not want to put this book down once I started. Kathleen's journey is compelling and gripping to say the least.
I love the different aspects of life after that we got to explore. Matt's support and the part he played was equally amazing.
Such a beautifully written book.
Profile Image for Peggy.
2,137 reviews37 followers
January 24, 2021
This hits close to home on so many levels! The author was like speaking to me through this book. Well put together and well deserving of more then a 5 star review! This book is highly recommended!
Displaying 1 - 12 of 12 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.