Start by marking “13 Steps to the Cellar” as Want to Read:
13 Steps to the Cellar

13 Steps to the Cellar

There were thirteen steps to the cellar. They were steep and they were narrow—but was a fall down them enough to have caused the twenty-seven deep lacerations to her aunt’s head?

Callie Harris travels from her home in Alabama to her aunt’s former mansion in Maine to unravel the haunting forty-year-old mystery of Dr. Laverne Harris Doss’ brutal death.

Why wasn’t a murder
Kindle Edition
Published August 18th 2020

To ask other readers questions about 13 Steps to the Cellar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 13 Steps to the Cellar

Start your review of 13 Steps to the Cellar
Julie Gomien
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, wow, wow!! I just finished reading this book, and those are the first words that come to my mind. I am super-impressed with this book! Teresa Mathews is a very talented writer. After completing the last chapter, I hope she considers writing a sequel so I can visit once again with the characters I’ve grown to know and enjoy through this vivid story.

The length of the chapters are perfect. I can never pause mid-chapter while reading any book, so many times I won’t continue reading a book unle
Regenia Blanchette
Exceptional writing for a first-time author. The reader gets to know the characters in the first several chapters as the suspense and drama begin to unfold by chapters 12 and 13. The descriptive nature the author uses of each character brings them to life and realistic to the reader. As the story progresses, you can feel the love story, sprinkled among the thrill of the drama, start to come to life. The plot line is captivating and while fictional, is loaded with facts surrounding the Maine coas ...more
APRIL GRAHAM
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
13 Steps to the Cellar is a very good book. From chapter 1 until the last sentence of the book, I was captivated and couldn’t put it down. The story is well written and easy to follow. It is full of unexpected twists and turns that keep you turning pages. I highly recommend adding this to your list of must reads, you will not be disappointed!
Karen Parden
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book hooked me from the first page and I couldn’t put it down! A great mystery, full of twists and turns that kept me engaged. Beautifully written and easy to read. I also loved the history and descriptions of Maine. A very enjoyable book!
ALAN ISHEE
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Overall a cool story. I definitely was not expecting the ending. I find myself hoping that Callie ends up staying in Maine and marrying Matt. And whenever I find myself hoping things turn out for fictional characters, that means I've connected to them and the story.
Rosemary Holloway
I started reading one afternoon and finished the next morning. Could not put it down. It had lots of twists and turns, which I loved. Very well written. Cannot wait for Teresa's next book!!
InD'tale Magazine
With “13 Steps to the Cellar”, Teresa Mathews takes readers deep into Callie’s soul and the dark souls of Richmond’s elite with a murder thriller hard to put down.

Read full review in the 2020 February issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Debbie Dial
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for all those who love a good mystery! Intriguing characters and plot! Lots of twists and turns! Keeps you guessing “who done it” til the end. I read it at the beach with friends, and it was hard for us to put it down! I can’t wait for them to finish it, so we can discuss it. I highly recommend this riveting mystery. Well done Teresa Mathews!
Marta Lucas
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable book that I highly recommend. The characters were well developed and believable. The story was engrossing and the plot twists and turns will keep you guessing until the last chapter. I look forward to Ms. Mathews next novel.
Lynda Flurry
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!! Awesome read full of suspense and intrigue! I loved it. Can’t wait to see the next book!!
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Sep 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was a really surprising read. You know when you think a book might go a certain way and find it doesn't? Well, this was one of those for me. Many years ago a woman is found dead at the bottom of the cellar stairs. Ruled accidental death, not everyone believed it at the time, nor now.

Enter a curious niece who travels to her Aunts old house and home town curious to find out more about the Aunt she never knew. She gets so much more than she bargained for as the town becomes aware of her
Melissa In The City
This book absolutely captivated my entire world for 24 hours. Every one of my senses were engaged with the characters, the environment, the sights, the sounds and the emotions. I could picture the beautiful Kennebec and the mansion overlooking it. I could smell the coffee and paninis at the Railway Cafe. This is so beautifully written and the characters are so detailed. There are a lot of characters and they are all important to the story but in the beginning I had a hard time keeping track of t ...more
Reads a Latte Thrillers
This was a fun mystery centered around a town in Maine. Callie, the main character is settling her father’s estate with her two brothers and begins to question who was responsible for her Aunt’s death, Dr. Laverne Foss. While Mr. Foss has been convicted, something convinces Callie there’s more to this mystery than meets the eye and Callie begins a voyage through the town to interview those friends and neighbors who might have known more than originally thought. While this cover certainly looks c ...more
Athena D.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 5 STARS

What an intriguing debut novel from Teresa Mathews! The story was compelling and kept me hooked. The sequence of events and how the past and present intertwine was well written. I enjoyed how there was a budding of a new romantic relationship, despite the uncommon circumstances and drama occurring around them. It is a truly amazing the secrets many keep to protect themselves and others, even knowing that it is wrong.

I highly recommend this book and I didn't discover who commit
Abbie
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book had me hooked from the very beginning. It was so hard to put down! The chapters are the perfect length to read one or two before bed, but at the end of each chapter I just had to keep reading to find out what happens next! I was very invested in the mystery and characters, I felt like I was in Maine with Callie. I loved this book!! I hope Mrs Teresa writes another!
Ruth
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a Book! Author Teresa Mathews draws you into the story immediately, and there is no stopping. A page turner for sure!! I am looking for a sequel, as the characters are still very much alive in my mind!! This author mesmerizes the reader. Bravo!! BRAVO!!
Jillean Wiggins
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was hooked from page 1! Language and word choice throughout the story places the reader in the story! Can’t wait to read what this author puts out next!
Tam
Sep 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
A complex, suspenseful plot with tension so thick that it felt palpable. Wonderful characters with depth and substance. I was immediately drawn in and held captive from beginning to end.

*I received a complimentary copy of this book in order to read and provide a voluntary, unbiased and honest review, should I choose to do so.

#13StepstotheCellar #NetGalley
N.W. Moors
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the death of her father, Callie Harris travels to the small town of Richmond, Maine to look into the murder of her aunt many years ago. Laverne was her father's sister and Callie feels she owes it to him to dig into the family history. Callie's arrival in Richmond sets off a flurry of repressed emotions bursting forth as the people in town recall the events of the murder. And soon more crimes are discovered.
This is a fabulous murder mystery with lots of twists and turns. Ms. Mathews does
Jessica Belmont
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a debut novel!!! Holy cow! I’m so obsessed with this novel, I am having a hard time writing this review because I’m just so excited. Suspense, romance, drama, even humor. And the twists! Whew! What a ride, 13 Steps to the Cellar was!

Teresa Matthews’ writing is fabulous. She’s written a large cast of characters and not one of them is weak. Every character in this story has a purpose and is fleshed out. I love when that is the case. This is a very character driven novel and those are my fa
Marsha Anderson
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Teresa Mathews’ first novel, 13 Steps to the Cellar, is a winner on many levels. It is what every reader wants in a good book: it’s clean, full of suspense, romance, drama, and humor. The large cast of characters is so believably fleshed out that you will not want to say goodbye to them at the end of the story. And finally, the descriptions of Maine are so beautifully interwoven into the story line that you may want to put it on your bucket list as a future place to visit. From front to back, it ...more
Heather W
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first book by Teresa Mathews and I am looking forward to reading more. This book captures your interest from the very beginning and does not let up as you are gripped in a story of death, suspense, intrigue, and romance. An amazing plot twist changes everything you thought you knew.

Bobbi Wagner
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thia is my first book by this author, I enjoyed it from beginning to end. It took me a bit to get into it but once I did I had a hard time putting it down. The story is creative and engaging. The characters are well developed and made the story feel real. There are a couple of edge sitting
moments. I recommend this book.
Michelle Davis
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book immediately draws you in and makes you feel like you have a connection with the characters. The vivid discription of the surrounds make you feel like you are there. The suspense and intrigue made it hard to put down. This one is a must read for anyone that looks a good mystery. Can’t wait to read the next book by this author.
Courtney L.
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I couldn't put it down. I loved the characters and how it made you feel like you were a part of the mystery. I was captivated and intrigued right down to the last word.
Tammy Davis
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an AMAZING book! From the very beginning I was hooked. I honestly did not want it to end! It kept me on the edge of my seat and made me not want to put it down! Just when I thought I had it figured out....I didn’t! Very well written and so worth the read!
Rosemary Peterson
Amazing. Its descriptive nature makes you feel like you're in the story and know the characters, and the twists and turns throughout the book will keep you reading until the end. I felt myself unable to stop after just a few chapters!
Heather Bane
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really great book. Kept me interested and hooked until the end. The story is well written and characters well developed. I highly recommend reading.

Marie Salmon
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW!! I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I was impressed with the authors writing style and ability to paint a picture in my head as I read along.
Jade
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this book. It constantly keeps you guessing and wondering what will happen next. Very excited to see other titles from this author.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Evil Never Dies
  • Never Came Home
  • The Wife
  • The Bellhop Only Stalks Once
  • To Tell You the Truth
  • The Girls in the Snow (Nikki Hunt, #1)
  • Magic Lessons (Practical Magic, #0.1)
  • Too Good to Be True
  • Eve 2.0: The Ultimate Gaming Experience (The Gamer Series, Book 1)
  • Wayfarer (Tales of Faeraven, #2)
  • Rage
  • Asylum
  • The Best of Friends
  • Crazy Stupid Bromance (Bromance Book Club, #3)
  • The Runaway (Bane Island Trilogy, #1)
  • You Betrayed Me
  • Looking for a Cowboy (Heart of Texas #5)
  • Little Disasters