Start by marking “The Worth of Hair” as Want to Read:
The Worth of Hair

The Worth of Hair

(The Midwife Fables)

The Midwife is summoned to a decaying seaside kingdom to assist with a royal birth. Upon arrival she finds herself trapped in a strange, dying land. The kitschy trappings of the Prince’s fan club are everywhere, but one of the adoring fans conceals a darker secret. Death hangs heavy in the air, wielding a twisted blade forged of tears of the broken hearted, threatening the ...more
ebook
Published October 21st 2020

To ask other readers questions about The Worth of Hair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Worth of Hair

Start your review of The Worth of Hair
kartik narayanan
Jan 09, 2022 rated it it was amazing
The Worth of Hair is an excellent fresh take on original the Little Mermaid tale from Hans Christian Andersen.

I could spend my time comparing A.A.Freeman's writing to Neil Gaiman or Patrick Benedick. I could talk about the wonderfully crafted atmosphere. Or I could talk about the wicked humour that peeks through once in a while. I could go on and on about the main character -the Midwife - her intelligence, kindness mixed with ruthlessness, her worldly sense and her no-nonsense attitude. I could
Oct 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
She was 'The Midwife. Nothing more. Nothing less.'

And so it may seem to all those who don't really know her.

The Midwife is summoned to a decaying seaside kingdom to assist with a royal birth. An when the request is made by the Prince himself, it ISN'T a high honor.

'The Midwife knew it, the Prince knew it and she was almost certain the horses pulling the carriage knew it, but all here were aware that polite society requires a level of pretend in order to function.'

And yet, the Midwife dec
Jonathan Pembroke
Jun 07, 2022 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indie
A delightful tale involving a focused and confident protagonist. I found this to be an excellent example of writing a strong female lead without turning them into a sword-slinging warrior. Also, I enjoyed the perspective of a middle-aged character, something we rarely with a female protagonist. The prose flows smoothly and I always had a clear picture of what was happening. The story's primary antagonist felt suitably menacing and overall, the whole thing had a good pace.

There was a moment of fo
Jennie Ivins
Aug 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, fairy-tales
The Midwife is now one of my favorite characters. She is a no nonsense middle-aged woman with a sharp tongue and a warm heart. But there is more to her than it seems. While she tries to uncover the mystery of the cursed kingdom and save as many lives as she can, she is also hiding her own secrets. And for a humble midwife, she sure does know a lot about ancient curses and magical beings. I can't wait to see what trouble she gets into (and out of) in book two!

As for the book itself, it's awesome.
Pokeslash109
Aug 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received an advance reading copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

After reading A.A.Freeman’s first book, The Midwife and the Lindworm, I was excited to see the next of the Midwife’s adventures. She’s a snarky, no-nonsense woman with a tough exterior, which makes for a humorous and entertaining narrative. I think she fits well into the fantastical setting of Freeman’s world-

Where other characters are a bit silly, or have established their place in the world, the Midwife isn’t sat
Tina Power Traverse
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Worth of Hair is a wonderful delightful twist on the beloved fairytale, The little mermaid. Now, don’t go rolling your peepers toward the heavens and sigh proclaiming “Oh no! Not another retelling of a Disney classic! Yawn! Well, roll those eyes back into your head and focus on A. A. Freeman’s tale of a gifted midwife who has been summoned to assist in the birth of a princess. Except this birth doesn’t go as smoothly as expected. There is mystery, intrigue, nefarious villains and a midwife w ...more
Robert Freeman
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic fantasy story, taking place in a land of classic fairy tales and fables, with a writing style reminiscent of Terry Pratchett, in a very good way.

The story leaves me very eager to read the next part in the series!
A.M. Justice
Sep 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic (and fantastical) story inspired by Hans Christian Andersen's The Little Mermaid and featuring a wise and wise-cracking healer known as The Midwife. Freeman took the hunk of unsweetened, sea-salty chocolate that is “The Little Mermaid,” and whipped it into a light and delicious novella that can be devoured in an afternoon.

The full review can be found here: http://fantasy-faction.com/2020/the-w...
E.M. Hamill
Sep 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I jumped at the chance to read this little short story on word of mouth and snapped up an ARC in return for an unbiased review. I was so delighted with this tale!

Based loosely on The Little Mermaid, it is told from the point of view of a middle-aged woman who goes only by "The Midwife" (but has a much more colorful past than being a simple doula). The story is by turns hilarious and thrilling. I loved the fact our heroine is world-weary, unimpressed by royalty, and more worried about when lunch
Erica Bonilla
Jan 04, 2022 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book of a series, but it's not necessary to read the Midwife and the Lindworm to understand what's happening in this one. (though, you really should go back and read that one too)

A. A. Freeman's Midwife is a character like no other that I have encountered in a story. Yet she's always so familiar when I come across her. Brought once again to a palace (her least favorite place) to deliver yet another whelp of a monarch, she finds herself embroiled in a twisted tale of unrequited
Meg
Aug 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 🌟 rounded up

This novella is told from an unknown narrator's POV. Names hold a power, so the MCs are simply called by their profession or status. This story appears to be a slight take on the fairy tale The Little Mermaid, with a magical guide seeking the components of a an ancient and long forgotten prophecy. There is a conflict, but the MC seems to have knowledge beyond normal human resources. Overall, this is a beginning to a series of what may be different fairy tales, or different advent
Annie Smith
Dec 04, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Midwife Fables, gentle but witty sarcasm

The Midwife Fables ,a touch of Terry Pratchett-like no nonsense wit, wisdom and practical magic. Looking forward to more of the Midwife's back story.
Charmaine Foo
Oct 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The sequel to the first short story has definitely lived up to its reputation. The Midwife is back in a clever re-telling of The Little Mermaid, complete with memorable characters and snort-out-loud commentary by the Midwife who will not answer to anything else. Another fantastic read!
Lily Perrotti
Jan 08, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this one, I love how the author writes so descriptively.
Joni Biniaz
Oct 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Story in a Fantastic World

Reading AA Freeman’s fables is like stepping into a dream. The world Freeman creates here is a place you can see, and smell, and hear. The Midwife is one of my favorite fantasy characters. She’s smart, funny as hell, and thinks fast on her feet. Looking forward to many more of her adventures to come!
Erica Bonilla
Fee
Dec 23, 2021
Jenn Mercer
Jan 04, 2022

• Shadows of Ivory (The Godforged Chronicles, #1)
  • Blood of Vengeance (Battleborn Mage, #0.5)
  • An End to Sorrow (The Obsidian Path, #3)
  • Emma's Story
  • Blade's Edge (Chronicles of Gensokai, #1)
  • The Trials of Daphne Holdfast (Magelands Origins, #2)
  • On the Wings of War (Soulbound, #5)
  • The Return of the Whalefleet
  • In Every Generation
  • What Branches Grow
  • Escaping First Contact (The Burnt Ship #1)
  • The Midnight Gardener (The Town of Superstition, #1)
  • Stacking the Deck (The Kings: Wild Cards, #1)
  • Retreat of the Kell (Magelands Origins, #1)
  • The Mirror & the Light (Thomas Cromwell, #3)
  • He Who Fights with Monsters (He Who Fights with Monsters, #1)
  • Dragon Eyre Badblood (Magelands Eternal Siege, #10)
  • Tales of the Thief-City
A.A. Freeman is an author, crafter, and all-around geek that lives in the foothills of North Carolina and spends her days writing fantasy and science fiction with a hint of romance. When not writing she knits, cross stitches, plays video games and works on perfecting her dried rose petal shortbread cookie recipe. She's probably not a robot. Beep boop. ...more

The Midwife Fables (2 books)
  • The Midwife and The Lindworm