Start by marking “Losing Control (The Control Duet, #1)” as Want to Read:
Losing Control (The Control Duet, #1)

Losing Control

(The Control Duet #1)

A series of moments can change your life... And it isn't until you are in too deep that you see how far you have fallen...

Lucy remembers the first hit as if it were yesterday.
The first time his hand connected with her cheek.
The first time that he caused her physical pain.
The first time that he shattered her already fragile heart.
He preyed on her vulnerability. He took her
Published November 3rd 2020 (first published August 20th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Losing Control, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Losing Control

Start your review of Losing Control (The Control Duet, #1)
Nikki J Summers
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m struggling to find words to describe how amazing & touching this book was. I may need to come back at some point and alter this review because I feel like I can’t do justice to Lindsey Powell’s incredible words.

Throughout reading I was hurting for Lucy & devouring the pages desperate to see what would happen next. Lucy was so brave & I could relate to her so much in that she loved Michael, but sometimes life throws those curveballs & at the end of the day, is love always enough? In the word
Victoria Weston
Nov 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book that I have read by this author and the first book in this duet series, Control #1. There is a trigger warning because domestic violence and control and this is the main story line throughout this book.

I was wary at first about reading this book because of the trigger warning and as I have a very personal account of this myself I was hesitant. But the author has written it brilliantly and tackled this subject with a lot of care and has written about Lucy so very real. I co
Biggs_bookcase
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A lot of my five star reads are very rollercoaster in your face reads. This is not that kind of read. It’s a slow burn of heart break. I don’t know that I have ever wanted to scream more at a character to see the warning signs. Lucy is recovering from a broken heart when Micheal sweeps in being Prince Charming. There romance is sweet and full of promise until they move i together. Like a master manipulator that he is things start of slowly. Seriously heart wrenching to watch such a vibrant and s ...more
Gemma West
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was so emotional.
The storyline was brilliant and within a few chapters I knew it was gonna be a heartbreaker and it had me wanting to scream so many times.
The cliffhanger has left me gobsmacked and I can’t wait to read the next book as I just need to know what happens next.
The characters were great and I can’t wait to learn more about them.
Highly recommend!
Lager & Lefse Book Blog
Nov 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lindsey Powell is a new to me author. She was recommended to me and I am so happy to have read Losing Control. There are triggers in place, because domestic violence is main thread throughout this book, so beware.
Lucy and Michael are our prominent characters, with Lucy’s friend, Cal slowly making his way into her life. I’m honest when it comes to writing/reading a book (BETA/ARC), so I need to be here as well. The beginning, for me, was a little flat/slow. The interaction with Michael was awkwa
Lisa Higgins
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Heart Wrenching & Bloody Brilliant

I don't know where to begin with this review and am rarely left this shaken and speechless. As an author and a bookworm, I love words and always have plenty to say.

However, there's not an appropriate word to describe this story's massive greatness. I know that sounds cheesy, but there you have it. Take wonderful, excellent, superb, brilliant, spellbinding, breathtaking, outstanding, and put them together to get an idea of the talent behind this book!

This autho
Ashlee Rose
Sep 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book had my heart thumping so fast and hard in my chest, I couldn't calm it.
The story of Lucy is heartbreaking. Certain moments in this book had my nerves crashing through me.
Lindsey writes this delicate and brutal reality amazingly, making you feel all kinds of emotion.
I can't wait for book two and what it has in store for Lucy and Micheal, I already know that my heart will be leaping out of my chest.
Fay (Funkybooklover78) Moore
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lindsey has done it again, I swear the pain is real.
I didn’t expect to be so engrossed in this book.
Lucy is left heartbroken after her ex dumped her, but when the office hottie peruses her, she eventually falls for his charms...

From butterfly’s in her belly
To fearing for her life.

I swear to god I just wanted to scream for someone to help her, and then it ends like that 😲
She better be ready to fight till the death ....

But this happens in real life.
The possessiveness,
The small things they control
Shauna McDonnell
Nov 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
On the edge of my seat!

It’s going to be very hard to review this book without spoiling it, and I know no matter what I say, it will not do it justice.

Lindsey Powell has created a story that is woven with realism. Sadly, the main character Lucy is a representation of many women today—living in a war they call home. There were times I wanted to scream at Lucy, tell her to open her eyes and see the manipulation. But that’s the thing isn’t it, it’s always easier to see domestic violence from the ou
Bookstagram3172
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book in return for an honest review.
I’m not really sure how to start this review, my heart was constantly pounding reading this. I devoured the pages so quickly as I really wanted to know what Michael would do next to Lucy. The turmoil she was under I felt through the pages, I was utterly transfixed with the story knowing that there are people out in the real world that suffer from emotional and physical abuse. At times I felt so uncomfortable reading this but then I gu
R.f. Greenwood
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, arc
I honestly don't know where to start with this review.
This book was unlike anything I've ever read before.
It's one of the stories that needs to be told but it's not pretty, it's not hearts and flowers.
Lucy's story is heartbreaking.
You sympathise with her because she's in a no win situation.
I spent most of the book with my heart in my mouth. I could feel every beat of my heart i was so focused on the story.
Lindsey Powell does a fantastic job of telling Lucy's heartbreaking story.

I need book two
L G Campbell
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don't even know where to start with this book.
It's dark, it's gritty, it emotional and it's beautifully written.
I couldn't put it down, I needed to stay reading for poor Lucy. I felt like I was there with her through every moment, my heart literally bleeds for her.
This romance story is far from pretty but it's a story that needs to be told and Lindsey has done it to perfection.
This book without doubt will be one of my all time favourite reads. I cannot wait for the second part of Lucy's story
Michaela
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Just finished an arc of this book that I was lucky enough to win, I litterally read it in a day, I couldnt put it down, my heart was breaking for Lucy and I switched from loving Michael to hating him, I was so glad when Cal came into the story, even from the brief mentioning of his name at the start I knew he was a character that I was going to to want to hear more of, a book full of love, heartbreak, friendships and strength, I cannot wait for book 2!!!!
Luz Acevedo
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m not sure that anything I write as a review for this story will do it justice at all. I’m absolutely blown away by the emotional roller coaster that was this beautifully written story. This is definitely not an easy story to read because the topic is so serious but Lindsey wrote it in a way that not only could I feel everything going on I could feel the strength of the character. Lindsey outdid herself with this story and I can’t wait for book 2.

Yes there are triggers and yes this ends on a
Enticed by Romance
Oct 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
For me books are often an escape from every day life with the sweet romance, characters and make believe worlds but sometimes a book comes along the way that hits close to home and takes your breath away.

Losing Control by Lindsey Powell is that one book! The topic discussed in the book is one that a lot of women go through, men also but it’s a topic that often imitates life in the sense that it’s not widely discussed or brought to light but the effects of domestic abuse can last a lifetime.

Linds
Katja
Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book, Just wow and that ending. So can I have next book like now? Lucy had bad break up from her ex-boyfriend and then she met Michael who seemed to be perfect. Everything was perfect until it wasn't. She tried to push her friends away so they wouldn't find out what is happening. I wanted to yell Lucy to run away so many times. Can't wait to read what happens next.

*ARC for honest review*
Jade
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Right, not entirely sure how to word this review because nothing I can say will do this book the justice it deserves! This book sucked me in instantly and I had struggled to put it down during my free time I stayed up reading until my eyes were sore because I needed to know what was going to happen.

I won the opportunity to read an advanced readers copy of this book. This is the first time I am reading a Lindsey Powell book so I had no idea what to expect from this author and her style of writin
LJ
Oct 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
You.Are.Not.Ready!

This book will have you hooked as soon as you start it, it starts as any usual workplace romance might; eyes meet across the room leading to first dates and a charming MC who seems to see the beauty in our heroine even when she feels at her lowest.

Michael is handsome and charming, saying and doing all the right things, easing Lucy back into dating. You could almost fall for him yourself at first, your next book boyfriend right?? Wrong. If you've read the blurb you will know th
Lucy Joyeux
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I've got this book as an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

My first thing to say about this book is, I think the author wrote it smartly! Why?

Well, as we might now know the book is about domestic violence and as we also know, it is a triggering issue to talk about. Lindsey wrote it for the people who want to "learn" or educate themselves on this topic, but as well as for the people who maybe have been through this.

In the book Lindsey doesn't talk much about "the thing", but rather shortly. Th
Lozzie
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Losing Control is an incredible read. It is also, however, a difficult one as well.

This book starts in heartbreak, and also end in heartbreak. There's also a little hope sprinkled in, but the story is heartbreaking nonetheless.

Reading it at first, I had hope for Lucy, but as the story got more and more intense, I only felt Lucy's pain as to what was happening. It's very different from what this author usually writes, but it was very good.

The story scales over the relationship of Lucy and Mich
zt_book_romance
Nov 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I finished this book a few days ago, and honestly wanted to wait to write my review. It is a dark, heartbreaking story about Lucy and the downwards spiral her life takes when she gets into an abusive relationship. You know going into this story it is going to be an emotional upheaval, and it is. There is so much heartbreak, and you are right with Lucy as she is broken apart piece by piece. As the reader, you just wish good things would happen. But bad just keeps happening, you are with her throu ...more
Andrea
Nov 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Y'all. Losing Control was intense AF. Gut-wrenching. Beautifully written. It's a story that needed to be told. Sometimes hard to read because it felt so real and authentic. Michael is an expert at gaslighting. The mind games he played were so on point for the type of "man" he is. I don't think I've screamed at a book more than I did at this one. Lucy's inner monologues were soul-crushing and infuriating. My heart broke for her. But I also wanted to shake her awake and make her see her worth. Whi ...more
Shibest  Lisa
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have loved all of Lindsey Powell's novels. I connect with her storytelling and with the content she writes about. Who doesn't love a steamy romance?

Losing Control is the opposite side of what Lindsey usually writes, but damn if it isn't just as good, and I would have to say in my opinion this is the best she has written. The writing is laid bare, raw emotion on the pages. I was hooked from the start.

Lucy has recently been cheated on by someone she thought she would be spending the rest of her
M.S.
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Emotional, raw, and real, this isn’t an easy story to read, but it’s worth it. Lucy thought she’d chosen a better man this time. A more loving man. And he was … at first. Just long enough for her to be confused as his behavior started to change. Just long enough to hope things could go back to the way they were.

It’s the hope we all have when a relationship starts to go south, except this one went so much worse. But that’s the thing about abuse: sometimes it’s so subtle that we don’t even releas
Nicola Bradfield
Oct 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️Review

Losing control
This book was heartbreak
The storyline shows how the journey of a couple falling love and how quickly that can change without realising, And how sometimes love is truly blind.
⚠️Warning this book contains details of domestic abuse. ⚠️
Although this storyline is disturbing it was fantastically written and highlighted many struggling hundreds of people face every day.
Lucy’s story broke my heart I cried and screamed throughout this story but it shows how manipulative pe
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Touching. Heartbreaking. Emotional.

You ever read a book that touches your soul? Losing Control is that book for me. I’ve been Lucy. A lot of what Lucy experiences resonated with me. There's a pattern. You don't see it until it's too late. Many emotions such as anger and sadness were felt while reading. That’s a good thing! Miss Powell did an amazing job in channeling all the emotions and feelings that go into Lucy’s journey. It isn’t an easy topic and one that happens more than we care to admit
Ana-Mariya Chankova
Oct 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was an emotional rollercoaster! It talks about a very sensitive and real subject - which is domestic abuse and violence. It's unreal how many women suffer, but are too afraid to do anything about it because of the consequences.

I think that Lindsey did a great job of portraying how women feel in these situations and also it turns out the sweetest guy can turn out to be an abuser.

Michael acted all nice and was the perfect boyfriend and then the possessiveness started creeping in. His em
Natalie All I Read Is Love Blog
This is book one in the Control Duet, telling the story of Lucy and what happens when she falls for the seemingly perfect Michael. I'll start by saying this, you need to read this book. Again, you👏🏻need👏🏻to👏🏻read👏🏻this👏🏻book. It's not the usual romance that you would expect from Lindsey. It's not hearts and flowers. It's raw. It's gritty. It's real. And it's important. It's important that we understand this is happening behind closed doors every day. The way that Lindsey writes just sucked me in ...more
Ariel
Nov 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
This story was completely and utterly harrowing!

My heart broke for Lucy for all that she went through.
Michael was everything she needed to feel confident again and to move on from a previous relationship that broke her heart. At first he said and did all the right things to make it seem like everything was perfect but then little by little it changed until she was in a hell of relationship.

The subtlety of the abuse was like watching a car crash in slow motion with no way to stop it.
The back in f
Bre @bre_reads_books  Simpson
Sep 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I knew at some point I would get angry reading this book, however, I didn't realize how angry.

Lindsey wrote such an emotionally heart breaking story of how one woman goes from being broken by one man, to being healed by another, only to have the new man becoming someone who shatters her completely.

Losing Control was an emotional read that brought to life the reality that love isn't always as beautiful as it seems. Sometimes it is dark, dangerous, and down right scary. Reading the journey Lucy

• Tortured Souls (Rebels of Sandland, #2)
  • Renegade Hearts (Rebels of Sandland, #1)
  • Tiers of Joy
  • Promise Me
  • Welcome To Rosemont
  • Guilty as Charged
  • Opium Skies
  • Sweet Solitude (King's Trace Antiheroes, #2)
  • Unwanted
  • Stroke of Midnight
  • Next Stop: You
  • Restorations (The Sterlings, #4)
  • Beneath the Stands (Sugarlake, #2)
  • Corrupt My Mind (North Haven University #1)
  • Can We Pretend?
  • The Christmas Blanket
  • Hollow Heathens (Tales of Weeping Hollow, #1)
  • Savage Love
Mad about books.

I love to read, and I love to write.
My preferred genre is romance as I love an alpha male, but I am open to reading anything, especially if a book has been recommended to me.

My books:
Part of Me
Part of You
Part of Us
Checkmate
My books can be purchased at amazon.

Find me on Facebook:
www.facebook.com

The Control Duet (2 books)
  • Taking Control (The Control Duet, #2)

News & Interviews