Start by marking “God, Country, Notre Dame: The Autobiography of Theodore M. Hesburgh” as Want to Read:
God, Country, Notre Dame: The Autobiography of Theodore M. Hesburgh

God, Country, Notre Dame: The Autobiography of Theodore M. Hesburgh

God, Country, Notre Dame The Autobiography of Theodore M. Hesburgh
Published January 15th 2000 by University of Notre Dame Press (first published October 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about God, Country, Notre Dame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God, Country, Notre Dame

Start your review of God, Country, Notre Dame: The Autobiography of Theodore M. Hesburgh
Kris Muir
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Since I'm now faculty at Notre Dame, I was gifted this book and invited to a book club. Father Ted, as he was known, was a fascinating individual. He became president of Notre Dame at the age of 35, transforming the school from an above-average Midwestern Catholic institution to a premier university. He doubled the student enrollment and tripled the number of faculty in his 35-year tenure as president. His proudest achievement was admitting women to Notre Dame in 1972, alienating many of the old ...more
Christina Brandsma
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I did not expect to enjoy the book as much as I did. Reading about Hesburgh's fascinating life was inspiring, challenging, and engaging. His stories ranged from random and interesting to applicable and refining in my own leadership. Hesburgh lived with great consistency, humility, and faithfulness. While the book is not set up as a 'how-to' book on leadership, it is a great resource to grow as a leader, and more specifically as a servant leader with rightly aligned daily patterns.
Tom Mcguire
Dec 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Stumbled across this in a Guatemalan used bookstore and felt like I had to read it. Father Hesburgh lived a remarkable life; he recounts most of its major events in this curious book which was converted from an oral history into an autobiography. Many events don't get past the surface level; yet their sheer volume and import make the book a fascinating read. I'm now curious about and considering reading Father Bill Miscamble's biography of Father Ted.
Jen
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Father Hesburgh was a truly remarkable man. He led an almost unbelievably accomplished life and at times this book was almost too amazing to be true. Notre Dame was so fortunate to have him.
Nick W.
Sep 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommended
Fr. Ted's life reads like the movie Forrest Gump. There's no way one person could be directly involved with so many important people and events. But it is true. The fact that he was able to turn a back-water football school into one of the finest universities the US without compromising the Catholic identity is a tremendous achievement. But it is just one amongst many when you look at the world events he participated in. The sheer scope of this man's life is absolutely incredible. The fact that ...more
Matt
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely fascinating book. Father Ted is not only an inspirational man, he is an American Hero. Throughout the course of his career, Father Hesburgh has been involved in every turning point in recent American History. Religion aside, his work can be part of any Recent U.S. History Class at any college/university.

His dedication to improving the world is paramount in this book. He cared, genuinely, about bettering this world. Through his work, he was able to be instrumental in making
Brian S
I consistently find that hearing about the things that make a person the kind of person about whom you would read a memoir are the dullest part of the memoir. Fr. Ted was involved in lots of important matters like the Civil Rights Commission and the Atomic Energy Commission, representing presidential administrations and the Vatican all over the world, man he was involved in everything, but the most interesting parts of his memoir are about when he was a child and a young priest. The book was not ...more
Keith Padgett
Jun 29, 2016 rated it liked it
My favorite part of the book was the history of Notre Dame that Father Hesburgh explained in the book. I bought this book after a trip to South Bend for a football game in October. I learned quite a bit about ND that I did not already know. Fr. Hesburgh is an incredible person who led an amazing life.

I gave the book a 3 because it is, I guess as expected, a commercial for ND. At times, it is a little hard to take. ND did this, ND did that, ND saved the world, etc.

Again, I guess that is
Erin
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Father Hesburgh is pretty awesome and has done everything awesome (or at least a lot of things) but this book might not appeal to you if you aren't already ND obsessed. But maybe you will. Many of the things aren't really ND-related. It was just super cool to think about all these things done my the man in the library.
Beth Neu
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Fr. Hesburgh for what you contributed to make Notre Dame a fine institution of higher learning. What I really enjoyed about this book was learning about Fr. Hesburgh's early years... what it was like growing up and what inspired him to consider becoming a Catholic Priest.
Arlene
Jun 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
This autobiography of a "super priest" is an amazing story. Father Hesburgh touched so many lives and played a major role in so many history-making events --- that the reader cannot come away from this book without thinking "He is one of those who truly made a difference".
Lisa Milo
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
A truly amazing and inspiring man. Certainly wish I (or better yet, my children) would have had the chance to meet him! Glad my son got to experience his funeral and the amazing atmosphere of campus that week.
Maria
May 10, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, history
I only read select parts of this one before I met with Fr. Ted. Fr. Ted is an amazing man. I was so impressed reading this and then meeting with him to talk about the lakes. I could have listened to him tell me stories about his life for hours.
Adam
Feb 11, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up on the recommendation of our parish priest. He ran the PR office for the Cleveland Diocese when Hesburgh's autobiography was first released. In a recent homily, our priest talked about interviewing Hesburgh during that first press push and the book itself.
Colleen
Mar 19, 2015 rated it liked it
What an amazing life. How I wish I could read Fr. Hesburgh's thoughts on the world today, and how I wish we had his leadership still.
Jackie Fancher
Dec 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Long but readable. Notre Dame has always interested me. This man lives it.
Robert Thompson
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This books showed me that age is only in our minds when it comes to getting things done. We can accomplish so much in life so long as we have a "vision" and work hard to succeed!
Erin Harris
Jul 31, 2007 rated it liked it
interesting stories about notre dame and his life. a quick and easy read since i like the biographies
Missy
Jun 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Hard to believe but it's all true.
 Marla
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. Amazing autobiography of our great university president, Rev. Theodore M. Hesburgh. I'm proud to have shook his hand and said Hi to him on campus.
Scott Nestler
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's about Father Ted. How could anyone not love it? A fascinating personality.
Beth

• The Music of Chance
  • The Sex Lives of Cannibals: Adrift in the Equatorial Pacific
  • No Exit
  • The Abolition of Man
  • George Washington's Secret Six: The Spy Ring That Saved the American Revolution
  • Home Work: A Memoir of My Hollywood Years
  • The Legend of Bagger Vance: A Novel of Golf and the Game of Life
  • Jag är Zlatan: Zlatans egen berättelse
  • What the Eyes Don't See: A Story of Crisis, Resistance, and Hope in an American City
  • The Myth of the Strong Leader: Political Leadership in the Modern Age
  • I Feel Like Going On: Life, Game, and Glory
  • Sources of Power: How People Make Decisions
  • Call Sign Chaos: Learning to Lead
  • Walden on Wheels: On the Open Road from Debt to Freedom
  • Horse Soldiers: The Extraordinary Story of a Band of US Soldiers Who Rode to Victory in Afghanistan
  • The Bull: My Story
  • The Emotionally Intelligent Manager: How to Develop and Use the Four Key Emotional Skills of Leadership
  • A Sand County Almanac and Sketches Here and There