Start by marking “Spoon” as Want to Read:
Spoon

Spoon

(Utensils)

Meet Spoon.

He's always been a happy little utensil. But lately, he feels like life as a spoon just isn't cutting it. He thinks Fork, Knife, and The Chopsticks all have it so much better than him. But do they? And what do they think about Spoon? A book for all ages, Spoon serves as a gentle reminder to celebrate what makes us each special.
Published April 7th 2009 by Disney-Hyperion

Kathryn
Jun 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone!
One of the best children's books I've read so far this year!!! Rosenthal is probably much better known for her "Little Pea" story which I found cute but not altogether moving or inspiring. This story, however, is all that and more. It still has the humorous language and puns here and there, and of course it is ever so adorable and fun to see one's silverware come to life. But beyond that, it is a story that I think every child (and every adult, if they are being honest!) can relate to--the conce ...more
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books

Spoon! This cute little utensil made me “Awww” all over the place.

We all go through times of jealousy and envy in life. Spoon’s story reminds readers of all ages to celebrate what makes each of us special and unique. Knife can cut and chopstick always has a buddy, but as Mama Spoon points out….

”Your friends will never know the joy of diving headfirst into a bowl of ice cream.”

An adorable tale filled with warm faces, humor, and heartfelt messages. Spoon will cuddle right up to your reading heart.
Lisa Vegan
Jun 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who has ever felt envious of others
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
This is a terrific book addressing feelings of envy and of appreciating your own strengths and privileges. It’s about the very endearing character of Spoon. I thought this book was enchanting; it’s creative, it’s funny, it has really cute illustrations, and I could definitely identify with little Spoon.

I’m actually surprised that this book isn’t on a whole slew of banned book lists given the “spooning” that goes on at the end, even if it is with little Spoon and his parents.
babyhippoface
Feb 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Spoon isn't happy. Everybody else, from Fork to Knife to Ladle, seems to have more fun than Spoon. What he doesn't know, though, is that Fork, Knife, and Ladle all think Spoon's life is better than theirs.

I used this book to help teach personification to 4th grade. It really worked! After I read it, I let each student choose one common object from a bag of things I'd gathered from around school (pencil, calculator, notepad, paper clip, penny, magnetic letter, round-tip scissors, etc.). I gave th
Diana Luna
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: someone who feels like they don't believe in themselves and need encouragement.
In literature,characters face challenges and have other characters help them throughout. In my short story book “spoon” by Amy Krouse Rosenthal soon goes through the struggle of not loving who he is and believing that all his friends have it so much better than him. So, spoon learns to realize that he is more than he thinks by listening to some of the characters in the book.
The text shows us that you are more than you think.

A couple of characters that prove that the text shows us that you are
Annie K.
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this with my little brother.

This is a really sweet book about learning to accept yourself. Definitely recommended to very young people.
Sarah Sammis
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sarah by: my daughter
Spoon by Amy Krouse Rosenthal predates Spork by Kyo Maclear and there are obvious similarities. Both explore ethnicity, family, and self esteem through the world of the silverware drawer.

Spoon is just that, a spoon. He's a soup spoon that also likes cereal and ice cream. He though has noticed that knives, forks and chopsticks all get to do things he can't. He becomes so focused on their special talents that he begins to doubt his own.

What Spoon doesn't realize, but his mother does, is that the f
Barbara
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
After Spoon finishes bemoaning his fate--he's miserable because his life is just not as edgy as those of Knife and Fork--the rest of the kitchen utensils describe how they wish they could do what spoon does. The book is filled with puns and word play ("Fork...never goes stir-crazy like I do," unpaged). It's hard not to laugh when you're reading a picture book that pays tribute to "what it feels like to clink against the side of a cereal bowl," unpaged), and then later shows, a family of spoons a ...more
Dolly
Oct 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a interesting and creative book about being happy with who you are and celebrating our own uniqueness. A new twist on the concept of "the grass is always greener..." kind of moral. It's a great book to read aloud at bedtime.
April Thompson
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
How cute are spoons spooning?!
Ana
Spoons are musical instruments too. Google it!
Baby Bookworm
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is Spoon, written by Amy Krouse Rosenthal and illustrated by Scott Magoon, a story about not letting greener pastures distract from one’s blessings.

Spoon is your average, everyday utensil. He lives in the cutlery drawer with his mom and dad, visits his Aunt Silver for dinner on Sundays, and has friends like Knife, Fork and Chopsticks. He’s mostly a happy sort, but
Matias Martinez
Apr 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: i would to any of my classmates.
Recommended to Matias by: nobody
Name: Matias Martinez
Date: 4/23/2019
Room: 204
SPOON by Amy Krouse Rosenthal

Have you ever thought that you weren’t as important or as lucky as your friends?
Well, in the story “Spoon” by Amy Krouse Rosenthal, Spoon also thinks he isn’t as cool or as lucky as his friends. Spoon is insecure of himself.
One reason Spoon is insecure of himself is when he said that his friends he shows this in page 10. He said, “It’s just that . . . I don’t know . . . All my friends have it so much better than me.”. Ju
Kasey Sparks
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think as a student I would love this book. I would enjoy listening to this story and then looking in a spoon at my reflection. I think it would be fun to discuss with a partner great things about each other. I think it would also be a good way to build each other up and to let each other know that they are important. This is a fun and entreating book to read for students.

I think as a teacher this would be a great book to read to students. This would teach the students to be happy with the way
Harper
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Spoon is such a cute book to read. It makes you think about all the utensils and is also a character building book. I thoroughly enjoyed the lesson attached with the book.
I definitely would want to us this book in my classroom. It is great for character building time! It would also be a good book to read at the beginning of the year to make the students feel comfortable with who they are. It’s also a good book to help if you’re having any bullying issues in your classroom.
Sadia Mansoor
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Spoons are much useful than forks & knives. They are not specific for just cutting or slicing food items like in the case of forks & knives, but they are quite popularly used for eating.. We can't eat with a knife or not always use fork for eating but we ALWAYS prefer using a spoon..
Brittany Van
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Disney-Hyperion, 2009, 32 pgs., Genre: Fiction, Grade level: PreK-2, GR level: K, Lexile level: 520L
Spoon is an inspiring picture books due to its positive perspective and outlook on life. This books reveals how an individual or spoon in this case can learn to love who they are. In addition, it helps the reader become aware of how everyone holds their own unique talents which makes them special. With this, the main character's loved ones show the main character that by changing his mindset, he i
Heidi-Marie
I have a new favorite book! This is Fabulous!!!! Especially for me, whose favorite utensil is a spoon (and has been since I was 4). The humor on every single page is priceless. And it will still be hilarious to read at a preschool storytime even if they don't catch on to some of the humor. They will enjoy the illustrations and still like the idea of a spoon as the main character. Love it! I must own.

3/13/10 The storytime group enjoyed this. And I had even more fun reading it aloud than I did rea
Sharon Tyler
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Spoon, written by Amy Krouse Rosenthal and illustrated by Scott Magoon, is a charming story about a young spoon that thinks everyone else has life better than him, the knife gets to cut and spread, the fork gets to do so many things, and chopsticks are just so neat. Meanwhile his friends think that spoon has it pretty good too. He gets to be silly, measure things, dive into ice cream, and all sorts of other fun things. After his mother tucks him in, and reminds him of the neat things spoons can ...more
N
Oct 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
“All my friends have it so much better than me.” Who hasn’t sang that song at least once or twice?

This feeling of incompleteness is at the center of our story, where young Spoon is in desperate need of someone to polish his ego. The illustrator provides a glimpse of the exciting times had by the other folks that share the cutlery drawer. We’re shown forks lassoing spaghetti, chopsticks that tango among the sushi rolls with precision, and knives happily spreading jam on bread. All culinary feats
Amanda Gary
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
Spoon is a creative and inspiring picture book about embracing who you are and finding the good in others as well as in yourself. Each page has great dialogue between the characters, and the illustrations match the character's feeling which really allows readers to grasp the author's purpose. Spoon is a great read aloud for all ages, however grades 1-3 would enjoy reading this book independently. This book can be used in the classroom to help teach students the importance of accepting others. I ...more
Cheri
This is a good book, but I hesitate to say that it's great. It makes more silverware jokes than I think most kids who can digest the book's message would understand. The spoon is jealous of the lives of other types of silverware because he wonders what it must be like to do the things that knives, forks, and chopsticks get to do. We never actually see spoon notice that his friends envy his ability to do things that only spoons can do, which would be a great place for learning how to deal with a ...more
Sandra
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lately Spoon has been thinking how his friends can do amazing things., while there's nothing special in what he does. Knife gets to cut. That's awesome. And Fork knows how to tame spaghetti. That's really skillful. And Chopsticks are so exotic!
But Knife, Fork and Chopsticks also think Spoon is very cool. And along the book Spoon will find out all the wonderful things that make him so special. Diving headfirst in a bowl of ice cream! Come on! That's hard to beat!
Very funny story with a beautiful
Peacegal
May 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Comparisons to the similar cutlery-themed Spork are inevitable. Spoon’s illustrations weren’t on par with the laugh-out-loud drawings of Spork, but at least Spoon didn’t have a huge, terrifying infant at the end.
Portable
Spoon is so much fun! Illustrations that children love, plus an insightful and relatable tale about appreciating your own specialness rather than envying others. A creative way of celebrating what makes us all unique - and a great starting point for discussions.
Jana
This is a really cute book. Spoon wants to be like his friends: Knife, Fork, & Chopsticks. He thinks their lives are so much more interesting than his. But then his friends think the same thing as him. When he stops to think about it, he decides he's happy being himself. Good message for kids.
Sara
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love Amy Krouse Rosenthal's work. This lovely book has all of the fun word play and creativity of her other books. I like some of her other titles better, but this one is still a charmer nonetheless!
Emily
Apr 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Just too fun! And with a disguised moral (for kids who think they have a hard lot) tucked right in among the silverware, this is my new favorite picture book.
RH Walters
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Charming. Addresses all your insecurities if you happen to be a spoon. Might make you hungry.
Jessie
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute book about recognizing that different people have different abilities and talents.

Note that a character says that people think of chopsticks as exotic.

• Spork
  • Cooking with Henry and Elliebelly
  • hello! hello!
  • Chicken Cheeks
  • My Name Is Not Isabella
  • Hooray for Amanda & Her Alligator!
  • Brontorina
  • Ralph Tells a Story
  • Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit
  • More Bears!
  • Chicken Big
  • Don't Worry Bear
  • Perfect Square

SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal was.
She divided her time.

NOT SO SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal was a person who liked to make things.
Some things she liked to make include:

Children's books. (Little Pea, Spoon, DuckRabbit)
Grown-up books. (Textbook Amy Krouse Rosenthal, Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life)
Short films. (The Beckoning of Lovely, The Money Tree)
Guided journals. (The Belly Book)
Something o