Start by marking “This Is Your Time” as Want to Read:
This Is Your Time

This Is Your Time

Inspired by the recent wave of activism led by young people fighting for racial justice, civil rights icon Ruby Bridges--who, at the age of six, was the first black child to integrate an all-white elementary school in New Orleans--shares her story and offers a powerful call to action with this elegant gift book.

Written as a letter from civil rights activist and icon Ruby B
Published November 10th 2020 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about This Is Your Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Is Your Time

Start your review of This Is Your Time
HBalikov
Nov 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ruby Bridges should be a more famous name in the Civil Rights Movement. Not only was she the first to integrate an all-white elementary school in New Orleans (1960) but she was “imortalized” in a painting by Norman Rockwell that is shown (in part) on this book’s cover.

She has not sought the spotlight over the years but she created the Ruby Bridges Foundation that promotes "the values of tolerance, respect, and appreciation of all differences".

Those values are evident in this well-illustrated sh
Nicole Franchino
Nov 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A HUGE THANK YOU TO @LIBROFM FOR THIS EDUCATOR ALC. THIS IS YOUR TIME WAS FULL OF HOPE, STRENGTH AND ENCOURAGEMENT. THE PERFECT REMINDER OF HOW FAR WE’VE COME, HOW FAR WE HAVE TO GO AND THAT WE THE PEOPLE HAVE THE POWER TO IGNITE CHANGE. BECAUSE THIS IS OUR TIME.
Tasha
Nov 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
At age six, Ruby Bridges was the first Black child to attend an all-white elementary school in New Orleans. She had to be escorted to school by federal marshals, leading to iconic photographs of her small size and the screaming, threatening crowds. In this book for children, Bridges tells the story of her harrowing time attending school, how she was taught in a classroom all by herself with a teacher who made her feel safe and loved, and how it felt to be that little girl. Filled with historical ...more
Michelle
Nov 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received the audio version of this book as part of the Libro.fm educator subscription.

This is a short 13 minute narrative of Ruby Bridges’ memories as a six year old girl, whose only wish was to meet and make friends at her new school.

Once there was a six year old black child who was selected to be the first to integrate public schools. Little Ruby Bridges did not understand she was making history, nor did she understand the crowd of angry whites who yelled and pulled their children from the
Amanda Novak
I really enjoyed this memoir written by Ruby Bridges. It explained her time segregating the schools very easily in a way that would allow even the youngest listeners to understand. I enjoyed seeing different pictures of her growing up. It also allowed the listener to reflect on how they can be a better member of society and how the current events can effect them.
Mutually Inclusive
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m sure many of you are familiar with Ruby Bridges. She is a civil rights activist who made history when she was just six years old. In 1960, she was the first Black child to attend an all white school in New Orleans, inciting protests from the white communities. This is Your Time is her most recent book.

In this book, Mrs. Bridges writes a letter to her readers, recounting her experience and encouraging young readers to participate in the fight for racial equality. She poignantly compares the u
Susanna Prins
Nov 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
"I have been saying for many years how I believe racism is a grown-up disease, and we 'adults' must stop using you, our kids, to spread it..."

Ruby Bridges, a civil rights activist who, as a Black six-year-old, was the first to integrate an all-white elementary school, wrote this book as a response to current young activists. This is her first book in over 20 years.

This is a small, slim book that I think could have been featured in a coffee-table size. Every other page features a black and whit
Naomi Krokowski
Nov 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful book, slim but meaningful. Civil rights pioneer Ruby Bridges was the little girl accompanied by federal marshals to integrate her elementary school in New Orleans in 1960. Her simple letter to young people arrives 60 years after she braved the angry protesters surrounding her each day. She sees the moment we are in as a significant opportunity for young activists to build on the protests over the losses of George Floyd and so many others. Her book is filled with photos from h ...more
Annamarie Carlson (she, her)
The words of Ruby Bridges, the first black child integrated into an all-white elementary school in New Orleans. In a letter to today's kids and teens, Bridges reflects on her childhood experiences and compares the Civil Rights protests of the 1960s to the Black Lives Matter protests happening today.

Bridges' moving words are paired with equally moving black and white photographs, both from her childhood and from people protesting today. The juxtaposition is sometimes eerie, with the reader havin
Becky
Nov 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
THIS IS YOUR TIME is a perfect book for young readers to learn about the inspiring, courageous story of Ruby Bridges and her historic entry into an all-white school in New Orleans. She shares her memories of this time and shares connections with the present challenges still faced by black people today.

The author shares photographs as she recounts her memories of the time, both past and present.

Ruby challenges readers to remember that they, as children can make a difference in the world.
Leslie Lolley
Nov 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This Truly Is Your Time...

I love and admire Ruby Bridges with all my heart. I read her book, Ruby Bridges Goes to School to my own students as I taught them about the history of civil rights in America and how important it is for all of us to carry the knowledge and light of freedom and to cherish, love, and support all of our brothers and sisters, regardless of our skin color. This is a wonderful and inspiring book.
Linda
This is Ruby's story, by Ruby Bridges, pictures from the beginning when she entered the school as the first black child in an all-white elementary school in New Orleans. It's for everyone, children, and adult, to either remember or re-acquaint themselves with this inspiring story of a very brave child. It is also a call to action today from her words and from the words of Dr. Martin Luther King, Junior.
Ed Jones
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Power message using words and photographs

This book is exceptional because it provides a glimpse into the perspective of hero of the 1960’s era Civil Right Movement. Using words and both vintage and present day photos, it compares our challenges with racism in 2020 to those of an earlier time. A reader of any age would be touched by its message.
Raven Black
Nov 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A sweet book about a powerful event and time in history. Could be a book to give for graduation (high school or college), to a teacher who meant a lot to you (a fact I was not aware of was who Ruby's teacher is shown) or to someone who might need a little "boost" during these times. The photographs are powerful look into a piece of history that is being repeated.
Micaela Boles
Nov 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A quick yet important book, Ruby Bridges reminds us “what can inspire tomorrow often lies in our past” it is crazy that only 60 years ago our country was breaking segregation in schools for the first time. We have come a long way but we still have a long way to go and it is necessary to keep taking steps towards change and equality.
Tamara Grant
Inspiring

The picture throughout this book really put thing into very vivid context. To pictures of past and present made me feel like we as a nation are regressing instead of progressing. See like we are reliving yesteryear in 2020.
Cristina Quattrone
Easily accessible for elementary age children. A great connection between past and present showing kids that they, too, can be a part of positive change and clear explanations about racism as a “grown-up disease.”
Thomas Matthews
Nov 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful. But WAY too short

The wise women quotes MLK.
I loved this little window into her mind. I would love to hear her speak more. Expound upon some themes she brought up in the few pages she penned.
Diana
Nov 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
this book is wonderful. it has very little text and the writing explains complex issues in an easy to understand manner. the photographs from the past and the present are illuminating. appropriate for 2nd graders and up
Angie Choinière
Nov 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a book written as a letter to kids. It is a very short book and wasn't what I was expecting. I read this in 10 minutes before I will gift it for a teen this Xmas. It is likely too short a read for her as well but the pictures speak a thousand words.
Heidi
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An important book for middle grade readers exploring civil rights. Highly recommend.
Reggie
Making a difference

The book is a excellent read for young people but adults need to read also.It shows the Horrow of Racism
Tessa Baer
Inspiring.
Nancy
Nov 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a just right book for children that interweaves Ruby’s experience in the sixties to what is still going on now.
Jessica
Nov 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely book, well written and kind to children. Be advised, the book is very small. I was expecting picture book sized. Highly recommended.

Q2020 book
Art
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
How a six-year old became a voice against racism in this country, in 55 evocative pages.
Judy Gregory
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lessons still being taught

Very inspiring book for young and old alike. I appreciate hearing Ms. Bridges comment on how in this world we need to show love and grace to each other.
Rebecca
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved the libro.fm ALC of this read by Ruby Bridges.
Lighthouse Librarian
Loved seeing all the pictures, had some inspiring quotes as well. Made me think how it really was not that long ago that we had such racism. Sad but thought provoking!
Nancy
Nov 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lovely kids' book. I want my grands to read this story of the little 6 year old who integrated her school. More of an inspirational book than a story.

• Mommy's Khimar
  • Before the Ever After
  • Evelyn del Rey Is Moving Away
  • Teen Titans: Raven
  • The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise
  • Troubles in Paradise (Paradise, #3)
  • I Promise
  • Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls: 100 Immigrant Women Who Changed the World
  • Mooncakes
  • Ayesha at Last
  • A Love Hate Thing
  • Loathe at First Sight
  • The Land of the Cranes
  • To Live & Die in Dixie (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #2)
  • House of Dreams: The Life of L. M. Montgomery
  • The Enchantress (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #6)
  • The Griffins of Castle Cary
  • Every Crooked Nanny (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #1)